This Week in Battlefield V

Building in BF5-- Is it worth it?

BumblebeeOwns
10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
So I am wondering a few things about this. 1) When you are being shot while building how quick do you pull out your gun, do you have enough time to try and react and get away.
2) How easy is it as a DEV to make changes to these if there are big issues or glitches.
3) Do you think in future BF games you will have it so we are able to set up a build where we want instead of designed spots that snipers may camp?

Comments

• disposalist
    8594 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    1) No idea, but I wouldn't expect the concept to be optimised for solo players. When your squad/team has taken an area they can give whoever is building some covering fire.
    2) No more than any other?
    3) Doubtful. That would have massive balance (or lack of) implications.
  • Lethalsaints
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I will not build once in Cq, might be ok as a defender in Operations. Just promotes more camping.
  • x_Undaunted_x
    3760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I hope landing a shot on someone will cancel building (similar to how vehicle self repair is canceled if they take a hit.))
  • MogwaiWarrior
    721 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    At such an early stage of the game I don't think no one knows. Could turn out it's more of a gimmick.
  • PhonB80
    134 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I will not build once in Cq, might be ok as a defender in Operations. Just promotes more camping.

The game is being slowed down. They are adding tactical shooter elements to a faster paced game. I think building encampments will be very important near ammo staches for protection while you load up, or around flags you've captured and now have to defend.

I don't think rebuilding buildings is going to happen often. But if you've held off a battalion and are waiting for the next battalion to reach you, building a wall in a building and adding a fortified gun will make a difference.
  • x_Undaunted_x
    3760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    At such an early stage of the game I don't think no one knows. Could turn out it's more of a gimmick.

TBH, I have a feeling that's all it will become - a gimmick. I also think the main people using it will be snipers and building/lane campers.
  • Dogwoggle11
    2669 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I was hoping fortifications would be more important (and better) than what we've seen so far. It was pre-alpha, so it might change.

I don't think I've seen any foxholes, machine gun nests... just walls of sandbags.
  • xXTDMasterXx
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2018
    Unless i am not mistaken (and please correct me if i'm wrong) u can play beta when u pre order... so pre order game play beta and then make up ur mind... Videos of Gameplay are nice to have but thats about it.
  • pest174
    811 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

TBH, I have a feeling that's all it will become - a gimmick. I also think the main people using it will be snipers and building/lane campers.

The game doesn't seem to force you to use fortification, soooo play conquest like you normally do?

As someone else mentioned, holding flags isn't camping, and by the looks of it, it's going back to the old system where the team holding the majority of the flags win.
  • YUKnowWhatItIz
    283 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2018
    As a solo player I welcome fortifications. Get shot in the back too much or try to hold choke points. Hard to hold back reinforcements when you don't have proper cover.

How is building cover a gimmick? If its just you and another guy and you know 6-7 enemies are coming are you just gonna sit there and hope for the best? Or build and capture that flag?

Most flags required you to be out in the open and only smoke grenades gave me hope to slow them down. Now I can build a gun nest
    and spray an alley? Psshhhh
  • trip1ex
    4770 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I already got my move down. Smoke the open field. Go into the smoke and build me some sandbags. Or dig a hole. Oh wait you can only build in certain spots. lol so much for that. still would work in fixed spots tho.
  • disposalist
    8594 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    trip1ex wrote: »
    I already got my move down. Smoke the open field. Go into the smoke and build me some sandbags. Or dig a hole. Oh wait you can only build in certain spots. lol so much for that. still would work in fixed spots tho.
    I'll bet you can still blow a foxhole in the ground anywhere.
  • dmccar1001
    627 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'll bet you can still blow a foxhole in the ground anywhere.

With no dogs in the game, dynamite is a man's best friend.
  • x_Undaunted_x
    pest174 wrote: »

The game doesn't seem to force you to use fortification, soooo play conquest like you normally do?

As someone else mentioned, holding flags isn't camping, and by the looks of it, it's going back to the old system where the team holding the majority of the flags win.

Not sure what you're getting at. I'm not knocking the system or even criticizing people who camp. I'm even sure I'll build a few things when I play. I'm just saying I see this system being used more by people who do than the players zerging from flag to flag. I could be wrong but only the future can tell. It's not going to effect how I play the game.
    How is building cover a gimmick?
    I'm calling it a gimmick because I see it not being used as much or having the end result people are expecting. To make a comparison - BF4 had it's levolution and DICE promoted the hell out of it. "Change the battlefield landscape" (or something along those lines) was a major marketing catchphrase. While there were a couple of cool levolution moments (ie dropping the skyscraper in Shanghai), it ended up being an idea that sounded great on paper and in promotions, but ultimately didn't deliver anything spectacular for gameplay or make any significant difference.

• trip1ex
    4770 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'm leaning towards gimmicky too.

I just don't see myself taking the time to build stuff. And got a feeling we're going to get a new breed of player. WE got hill humper. Bob the Builder is next. You know we're going to get a lot of Bobs that just build stuff no matter if we need it or not. lol.

We'll see.
  • dmccar1001
    627 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    trip1ex wrote: »
    I just don't see myself taking the time to build stuff. And got a feeling we're going to get a new breed of player. WE got hill humper. Bob the Builder is next. You know we're going to get a lot of Bobs that just build stuff no matter if we need it or not. lol.

Since you get points for building expect building spam ... then destroy it ... then build it. Maybe you can level up without ever firing your weapon?
  • rainkloud
    548 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The tank traps alone will ensure they are not a gimmick. I think the effectiveness will vary between maps and they will not overwhelm nor dominate a match but rather be a light to moderately important facet. Which I reckon is what most players desire; something that adds flavor to but doesn't radically alter the game.

I saw the video of a female Youtuber whose name I can't recall who was talking about how while she couldn't fight and aim really she was helping her team by building and bless her heart she was about as earnest a person as I've seen play BF. She went and built every buildable thing in the house she was in thinking she was contributing only to have the entire house crumble down on her killing her and rendering all her construction useless.

Now I mention this not to rag on her as again she was very genuine in her play and she didn't know the mechanics and they're new anyways so it's all cool. But I mention it to say that just random building is not going to help your team. It's going to be contextual and nuanced and just because you can build something doesn't mean you should. You need to assess whether it will be useful to your team given the situation and circumstances.
  • DonSharkito
    796 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Don't forget that building stuff will also give out easily your position to an enemy player. If I see sandbags or a wall appearing magically in a house, expect to receive an AT rocket gun from me in your face a few seconds later.