Building in BF5-- Is it worth it?

2»

Comments

• warslag
    1357 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Should be shooting each other not building things. It's not even building, really, it's just placing things.

Wouldn't you all rather being trying to kill each other instead of holding a key down while an object is placed?
  • Toxic_CA
    813 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2018
    We need more people defending flags in conquest. Most people cap a flag and run to the next, not realising that the flag they just capped is being taken over

EDIT
    My comment is for the people who say building promotes camping
  • Foot_Elite_Tomei
    306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Defending a flag is not camping. It would be excellent if people learn to defend flags they have taken in order to win matches.

Support Engineer equipped with AT mines, ammo and LMG, I know what I am going to do in Beta.
  • BiologistShawn
    31 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Something that I believe would pair well with the fortification system would be the squad-based (as opposed to single player towing) ground movement of AT and AA guns... Imagine putting up some sandbags int the first floor of a house, having your support prop up an LMG, sniper on overwatch up top, and two other squad mates wheeling an AT gun into that first floor behind those built sandbags to ambush the first tank that moves along... Something I tried asking the Devs earlier...

"Will these guns be able to be moved by a player, or perhaps a player and another squad mate (to promote squad play)? I ask, because in most of the videos I've seen these guns are being towed and dropped in the middle of streets, when ideally the player may want to move the equipment somewhere that requires a more direct, albeit slower, touch. Seeing squad mates work together to slowly wheel these guns into more detailed places would be great for the pillars Daniel Berlin mentioned in his interview with Jackfrags (i.e., squad-play, immersion, and tactics).

Additionally, I was a little disheartened when I saw that that the AT gun has no reload animation, like what was present in BF1. That was incredibly immersive and would be wonderful to see."
  • disposalist
    8335 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2018
    warslag wrote: »
    Should be shooting each other not building things. It's not even building, really, it's just placing things.

Wouldn't you all rather being trying to kill each other instead of holding a key down while an object is placed?
    Ironically, the best shooters don't have "shooting people" as the only thing you need to do to win. Like in real war. By the time you pull the trigger, you want to be damned sure you won't die easy if bullets come back at you.

Taking a few seconds to do something tactical is not a waste of time or something you shouldn't be doing. Defensive play is essential to stop BF becoming a headless chicken run-and-gun kids game.

Often looking at the spawn map in BF1 is like looking at a kids football game. Everyone is clustered together chasing the ball. No defense, no position, no tactics.
  • ProAssassin2003
    3024 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's a Gimmick like the Behemoths. Only building I see being useful is from supports with Mounted guns.
  • KarmaKinetic
    1143 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I was hoping fortifications would be more important (and better) than what we've seen so far. It was pre-alpha, so it might change.

I don't think I've seen any foxholes, machine gun nests... just walls of sandbags.

ive seen them foxholes :)
    It could be that is also stuff you have to progress to unlock, not sure
  • KarmaKinetic
    1143 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Don't forget that building stuff will also give out easily your position to an enemy player. If I see sandbags or a wall appearing magically in a house, expect to receive an AT rocket gun from me in your face a few seconds later.

yeah, that's a bummer, it makes you a target. Might as well be spotted...
  • diamantkrister
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    None of you mention the existing problems in all previous Battlefield games. As soon as you become stationary you will get shot in the head by a sniper.
    Why do you think no-one use placed machine guns in BF1? Because you die instantly from a sniper bullet.

In BF5 it will be the same, you either die when building or you will die as soon as you stand up behind the fortification.
  • techblogger911
    20 postsMember Member
    It could be worth building, but I think if we take a hit then the process stops and we have to start again.
  • MigueTK
    674 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Not useful after my experience with the Alpha and are a gimmick. We might see forts being built about as often as I see the light flare in BF1.
  • GrizzGolf
    888 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well this building might help me from always getting killed.
  • rainkloud
    548 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I heard it mentioned that one potential use for building beyond the obvious intended usage is to have each piece of construction increase the time it takes to capture a flag. That would make it both important to build and then soften up points to ease capture.
  • sandisam
    24 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    BFNations made a video about building with fortifications. Check it out if you're interested: