General Liu Storm review (Bolt Action Mode)

ashar_saleem121
1207 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
The new fire mode for the General Liu Storm has breathed new life into this game for me.

First, an overview for those who aren't familiar with the gun. The G Liu Storm has 6 bullets per reload and is a 3 hit kill at all ranges in the default semi-automatic fire mode. Fire rate comparable to the 1906 selbstlader but with one more bullet and wayyy more spread. If this was all the gun had to offer, I would have never used it because 1 extra bullet did not make up for the increased spread over the 1906 or even the G Liu factory.

The new fire rate, bolt action mode makes the G Liu Storm have a damage model similar to that of the Gewehr 98 scout weapon. I have yet to net a sweet spot kill with it so I don't know if it has one. The max damage I've done so far is 90. However, I'm not much of a long range player in any case.

Toggling between the two fire modes while fighting on objectives to suit the current engagement range is extremely fun and learning how to do it well has been challenging.

For example,

The ability to OHK headshot players as a medic is one of the most satisfying things in the game and having top headshots on a map litered with snipers just takes the cake. Especially when you see a sniper scope glint off in the distance. You know he sees you're a medic and doesn't think you have the ability to reach him with the guns at your disposal. The sound of his head popping off and the thought of his disbelief is a really good feeling

This is a full game of conquest. Went 41 - 5 with 14 headshots.

Personally, I find that I switch to my sidearm when I mean to switch fire modes from BA to semi quickly. I still net the kill because I use the auto revolver, but I need more practice with that. You'll see me panic knife someone in the first clip.

It is also slightly difficult to tell which fire mode you're in just by looking at the gun itself.

I wish the damage model was more in line with the close range scout weapons such as the SMLE or Arisaka. You get a lot of 72 damage shots up close which dont net you the Assist as kill. I'm sure that was by design so that you have to think about which mode you were using in which situations. The SMLE or arisaka damage model might have been too OP. Even the Lebel if they wanted slighter farther range would have been nice. The g98 is on the boundary of usefullness as an infantry rifle. A minor complaint. Not sure if anyone else agrees.

I am also experiencing some jitter when I ADS in bolt action mode which makes the gun really difficult to use sometimes. I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this

Exhibit A,

And again

I couldn't hit the guy the second time for some reason.

Overall, this gun has made me super excited about the game and playing medic with an added challenge and increased versatility. More versatility to the most versatile class in the game. Absolutely love it. Anyone who loves playing aggressive scout and medic should definitely try it out.

Comments

• V_Effect91017
    191 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited July 2018
    Im loving this gun, hit some sniper in the head from A flag to the fortress on fao. Was 300m, I couldn't even see him. I can only imagine his wtf moment. Its a bolt action sniper with semi auto and 70 rounds, yeah it's such a troll weapon against snipers.
    I probably won't play scout half as much anymore. The bullet velocity alone is faster than 90% of snipers. It's just stupid how good this rifle is
  • ashar_saleem121
    1207 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Im loving this gun, hit some sniper in the head from A flag to the fortress on fao. Was 300m, I couldn't even see him. I can only imagine his wtf moment. Its a bolt action sniper with semi auto and 70 rounds, yeah it's such a troll weapon against snipers.
    I probably won't play scout half as much anymore. The bullet velocity alone is faster than 90% of snipers. It's just stupid how good this rifle is

I'm hoping it's not too good because otherwise the nerf hammer will probably come down on it.
  • V_Effect91017
    It will be nerfed, guaranteed.
  • shaunlake1344
    547 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Absolutely hate it. Medics can one shot kill....massively OP. What a joke.
  • ElliotLH
    6250 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It will be nerfed, guaranteed.

Think you're probably correct there. The Burton incendiary rounds too maybe.
  • shaunlake1344
    547 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Come on Dice. Seriously? What's the advantage of playing Scout over Medic? You've just trashed your game so you can blow smoke up your cheesy medic class. Lunatics.
  • V_Effect91017
    Yeah it a game changer, love the rifle. It brings out so many salty tears
  • shaunlake1344
    I'm sat on the floor crying my eyes out. Tears are rolling down my cheeks, all the tissues are gone. I don't know what to do! Dice has destroyed the game for me. Why Dice why? Why do you desert me so! My beloved Scout class has been desecrated, nay destroyed! The nurses have got a better guns. The nurses, NURSES!

Battlefieldnurses? What were you thinking? What happened to sense, what happened to logic?

Is this because they legalised pot in LA?
  • ashar_saleem121
    Come on Dice. Seriously? What's the advantage of playing Scout over Medic? You've just trashed your game so you can blow smoke up your cheesy medic class. Lunatics.

There are still a couple reasons. Spot flares being the biggest. Plus, as I've mentioned, the damage model is still pretty long range based on an infantry rifle. So OHK are mostly from headshots. Do you mind OHK headshots?

I think they should get rid of the sweet spot if there is one because that just seems like overkill.
  • Francannabis
    49 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Semi-auto for cqb or medium ranges, bolt action for long ranges and counter-sniping :) No one uses it imo, they have the RSC..(HC)
  • EA_Cian
    822 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, EA Staff (retired), Battlefield V
    Folks, a gentle reminder to please keep things on-topic and if you have criticism - keep it constructive. Thank you!
  • Gforce81
    3666 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm pretty excited to get my hands on the bolt action G. Liu as well, I've been on vacation away from home

Question to OP:

Thoughts on Factory vs. Storm variants? I'd think that storm benefits more in semi-auto mode for the increased reduction in recoil, but it's hard to judge without hands on
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    2935 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Gforce81 wrote: »
    I'm pretty excited to get my hands on the bolt action G. Liu as well, I've been on vacation away from home

Question to OP:

Thoughts on Factory vs. Storm variants? I'd think that storm benefits more in semi-auto mode for the increased reduction in recoil, but it's hard to judge without hands on

Don't bother with the Factory, because the Factory variant of the Liu doesn't have the new bolt-action fire mode ... only the Storm variant has it.
  • Gforce81
    3666 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Question to OP:

Don't bother with the Factory, because the Factory variant of the Liu doesn't have the new bolt-action fire mode ... only the Storm variant has it.

Oh well I guess that clears that up nicely

I wonder why tho
  • ashar_saleem121
    edited July 2018

Question to OP:

Oh well I guess that clears that up nicely

I wonder why tho

Before the bolt action mode, I would have prefered the factory. Simply because the slight reduction in recoil doesnt account for the enormous spread at anywhere close to max fire rate.

But like someone else says, factory doesn't have bolt action so the point is moot

I'm more interested to know the reasoning behind the g98 damage model. I would have expected the g95 to be much more favorable. No sweet spot, lower velocity but high min and average damage. And you keep the OHK headshot
  • MachoFantast1c0
    1902 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Question to OP:

Incorrect, the notes were wrong, both of them have it. I prefer the Factory, love getting those headshots. It has a sweet spot 80-125m or so, have gotten thoses as well. However, the irons are not as good as some scout rifles (Ross, Lebel), and I'm pretty sure bolt action mode is not zero spread, so accuracy wise it leaves something to be desired. But these serve to balance it out.
  • ashar_saleem121

Question to OP:

Incorrect, the notes were wrong, both of them have it. I prefer the Factory, love getting those headshots. It has a sweet spot 80-125m or so, have gotten thoses as well. However, the irons are not as good as some scout rifles (Ross, Lebel), and I'm pretty sure bolt action mode is not zero spread, so accuracy wise it leaves something to be desired. But these serve to balance it out.

That's an interesting bit of info. I might have to re-consider Storm vs Factory for my BA of choice.

You might be right about the zero spread and the irons not being ideal for precision. It doesn't feel quite as accurate as a "true" scout weapon.

And like I said before, it's damage model is a little too long range based for my liking. And I certainly don't think this needs a sweet spot range either.
  • herodes87
    1188 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yes the Factory has the Bolt Action Mode too. Would make no Sense to Put so many time in making auf t a switching damage Model gun and then add it to Just one Mode.

Actually it would be a gun for the Scouts.
  • Imabaka70
    2428 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Question to OP:

Incorrect the factory does have bolt mode I don’t even have the storm variant because of the rifle grenade required to unlock it.

I do t feel it’s op at all sure you can pop heads way out but unlike scout rifles you can not hold your breath to reduce all sway. So it’s not 100% accurate at distance.
  • ashar_saleem121
    Imabaka70 wrote: »

Question to OP:

Incorrect the factory does have bolt mode I don’t even have the storm variant because of the rifle grenade required to unlock it.

I do t feel it’s op at all sure you can pop heads way out but unlike scout rifles you can not hold your breath to reduce all sway. So it’s not 100% accurate at distance.

It does still further increase the versatility of already the most versatile class. I can revive and heal, clear out objectives and still provide protection against snipers. It's a unique weapon for it's class for sure