Can someone explain meele mechanics?

21Puchalke37
10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
I really don't understand how meele mechanics work in this game. I am used to Bf3/Bf4 style where hitting enemy frontally is a regular hit that takes 2/3 slashes to kill, and if you attack from the back/side it triggers a OHK animation.
Yet I have some problems in Bf1. I had multiple situation where I press "F" while standing behind an enemy just to get a hit worth 25/35hp depending on the weapon. I often had to dash it 2/3 times to get an animation, once I even killed a guy from behind with 4 hits, 25hp each, no takedown animation.
Then I sometimes run into enemies, start panick shooting just to get knifed frontally with a OHK animation, with the enemy being in my sight 100% of the time.

Can someone explain how it's supposed to work exactly?

Comments

• llPhantom_Limbll
    6294 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hit an enemy until he's dead pretty much.
    Well each type of melee weapons deals different amount of damage to players and also has different attack speed. Knives are he fastest ones but can't deal a lot of damage while heavy weapons are the slowest but kill in 2 hits. But you also have to keep in mind that hitreg in bf1 has been inconsistent for quite some time especially for melee weapons. So your issues are probably the result of hits not registering or hitboxes being broken.
  • crabman169
    12848 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hold the melee button to get the animation (it should work but it's never 100%)

There are three melee categories, sharp (knives), blunt (clubs) and special (shovel etc)

Knives are the quickest but have the lowest damage (35). They have the widest arc (area behind from which you can perform a takedown) but can not damage anything par players. Every knife is the same just different skins.

Blunts are the mid ground (45 damage) with medium speed. Their arc is less then knives but greater then special. They have the ability on certain weapons to destroy wood and/or damage light vehicles (stationaries, transport vehicles)

Special are the rest (shovel, hatchet, sabers etc). They have the slowest swing but deal the most damage (55) so a pistol shot should leave them open for a takedown. Their takedown arc is the smallest so you'll have less room to perform a straight takedown from 100% health.
    Some can break wood and/or cut barbed wire

I personally use the French Cav saber for both what it is and its usefulness. Cutting barbed wire is extremely helpful; its high damage has saved me plenty of times.

Find what suits you best
  • KermitJ
    388 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited July 2018
    I prefer clubs I can get two swings out faster than I can a heavy. Also there takedown animation with the enemy standing from behind is pretty quick.
    Dunno I carry a switch on me irl for self defense so just really enjoy clubs. More utility faster swing

Edit actually it’s a cross between a sap a blackjack and an akly. It’s a smaller bulb surrounded by a flattened piece of leather only a 2-3 inches long attached to a leather chord hooked to my belt allowing em to toss it.

• von_Campenstein
    6621 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    The enemy might not be where he appear to be.
  • Contra87
    698 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited July 2018
    Also, something no one has mentioned: if they are not standing in front of you or laying at your feet level, you cannot get a takedown. If a guy is proned at waist level on a rock, for example. You will just have to beat ‘em like a grass fire until they’re dead.