So the arty truck is taboo now?

Comments

• KarmaKinetic
    1128 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 9
    WetFishDB wrote: »
    Gonna play a bit of devils advocate here. And for the record, I never play in vehicles.

Now, whilst I accept that in Operations the mortar truck can probably get cheap kills for its operator, but that does mean they are clearing enemies off the flag (at least temporarily). If you are on a team that can’t capture a flag even with a bunch of people recently dead there, what else can you expect the truck driver to do?

Of course if the are going 3-0 at the end of the round that’s terrible, same with any player vehicle or otherwise. But if they are getting decent amount of kills then they are probably doing their bit - they just need the boots on the ground to do theirs.

problem is, defenders have unlimited tickets, so the amount of kills really isn't an interesting statistic.

I agree in some cases it might help if there are actually people on the flag to give them breathing space to actually cap the flag safely/ without being killed, but in reality the problem is most people don't make it to the flag in the first place.

A forward playing tank that can be spawned on hence is much more valuable.
    Yesterday I had the pleasure of playing attacker on St. Quentin with some daft **** that played the mortar truck THE ENTIRE MATCH. The guy is infamous for only playing mortar truck, every match, every side, just 100%.

We stood no chance, he got like 100-0.
  • IIRogueMachineII
    1222 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    If a round is grinding to deadlock as attacking because of plane pro’s on defence i’ll jump into the AA truck. No point dying endless trying to take an objective for no point. The AA truck is overall pretty useless but I say the mortar truck is even more so.
  • V2Face
    2557 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    If a round is grinding to deadlock as attacking because of plane pro’s on defence i’ll jump into the AA truck. No point dying endless trying to take an objective for no point. The AA truck is overall pretty useless but I say the mortar truck is even more so.

The AA truck is good for Monte grappa and Fao Fortress because planes spawn extremely frequently on them in Operations. Shutting down enemy airspace can be huge on attack when attempting to push. Mortar truck will only take out an AA gun or wild sniper laying stationary, constantly moving targets makes this tank worthless on these maps.
  • WetFishDB
    1637 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Gonna play a bit of devils advocate here. And for the record, I never play in vehicles.

Now, whilst I accept that in Operations the mortar truck can probably get cheap kills for its operator, but that does mean they are clearing enemies off the flag (at least temporarily). If you are on a team that can’t capture a flag even with a bunch of people recently dead there, what else can you expect the truck driver to do?

Of course if the are going 3-0 at the end of the round that’s terrible, same with any player vehicle or otherwise. But if they are getting decent amount of kills then they are probably doing their bit - they just need the boots on the ground to do theirs.

problem is, defenders have unlimited tickets, so the amount of kills really isn't an interesting statistic.

I agree in some cases it might help if there are actually people on the flag to give them breathing space to actually cap the flag safely/ without being killed, but in reality the problem is most people don't make it to the flag in the first place.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of playing attacker on St. Quentin with some daft **** that played the mortar truck THE ENTIRE MATCH. The guy is infamous for only playing mortar truck, every match, every side, just 100%.

I do get it. Frustrating to be on both ends I suspect.

I guess if he killed 100 people in that round it should have meant the boots on the ground captured those flags much easier. I take it they didn’t? If the infy players don’t want to push, charging with an unsupported tank is potentially more wasteful (no kills and still no flag).

A spawn point can be valuable, but only if people jump out (and in a safe spot etc). And if the aren’t pushing in the first place, little hope of them really using it as an effective spawn beacon.
  • robmcewen
    2803 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

I guess if he killed 100 people in that round it should have meant the boots on the ground captured those flags much easier. I take it they didn’t? If the infy players don’t want to push, charging with an unsupported tank is potentially more wasteful (no kills and still no flag).

A spawn point can be valuable, but only if people jump out (and in a safe spot etc). And if the aren’t pushing in the first place, little hope of them really using it as an effective spawn beacon.

If a mortar truck can time the barrage right, if at all possible just before an assault goes in and then move barrage forward to disrupt the counter attacking defenders then yes it would be a great help in a attack. The only problem is, I don't think I have ever seen this, what happens is you get on the flag and start to cap it, but the barrage is still aimed at the cleared flag, all you can see is explosions and gas/smoke clouds which ends up helping the enemy by masking the enemy advance.
  • theONEFORCE
    2706 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    robmcewen wrote: »

If a mortar truck can time the barrage right, if at all possible just before an assault goes in and then move barrage forward to disrupt the counter attacking defenders then yes it would be a great help in a attack. The only problem is, I don't think I have ever seen this, what happens is you get on the flag and start to cap it, but the barrage is still aimed at the cleared flag, all you can see is explosions and gas/smoke clouds which ends up helping the enemy by masking the enemy advance.

Pretty much. A good tanker will help clear a flag with infantry and then move up for the cap and kill beyond the flag. The “best” AT Mortar guys just keep shelling the flag over and over and never move up. All of their guys that did push up get wiped by the enemy team that pours back in. Rinse and repeat.
  • JelleMees_Twitch
    341 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Just made 54 kills with Arty truck ( regular, not the mortar ) on Amiens. Not to mention all assists and enemies that got spotted. It must have made a difference. Whatever you guys say...
  • V2Face
    2557 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Just made 54 kills with Arty truck ( regular, not the mortar ) on Amiens. Not to mention all assists and enemies that got spotted. It must have made a difference. Whatever you guys say...

I can’t look at the stream and what do you mean regular? You mean the AA variant or the Anti infantry/tank variant?
  • disposalist
    7267 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Arty truck is good for defense in Ops, not attack.
  • theONEFORCE
    2706 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

We're talking about how mortar trucks ruin Ops so that isn't really relevant.... but good job. We're also not talking about the 1% of players that may use it correctly. We're talking about the 99% that use it to either pad their KD or to stay active in the server while they're on the toilet in the next room, randomly clicking buttons and getting kills.
  • disposalist
    7267 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    We're talking about how mortar trucks ruin Ops so that isn't really relevant.... but good job. We're also not talking about the 1% of players that may use it correctly. We're talking about the 99% that use it to either pad their KD or to stay active in the server while they're on the toilet in the next room, randomly clicking buttons and getting kills.
    Nah I kinda include that Amiens example too.

On Amiens taking an Arty truck means you aren't getting 5 other players around in (relative) safety to take flags that you could in most other types of tank.
  • theONEFORCE

On Amiens taking an Arty truck means you aren't getting 5 other players around in (relative) safety to take flags that you could in most other types of tank.

You definitely have to put in an exceptional performance with the regular Arty to justify using it.

The Garford would be a much better choice because it is just as fast, can fire while moving and is a team spawn that drops health and ammo.
  • CHEFARZT1
    80 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited July 12
    jasoncaric wrote: »
    I play operations exclusively and i sometimes get in the arty truck and rain hell and fire on the objectives and tanks and whatnot. I use it as it’s intended. Seems like every time I use it now u have some jackass getting on top of it and preventing me from using the mortar. I could see if I’m 3-0 with it halfway through the round but I rack up the kills and flag defends always. I can routinely get 40-50 kills and get a lot of points from flag defends and usually get mvp or top 2 or 3. Why all the saltiness from my own team?

Its taboo because peeps are too stupid to see that a vehicle able to bombard, gas, and smoke a flag nonstop is the way to go when attacking. Real heroes sucide tanks 24/7 while trying to decide which is the worst flag to attack solo or trying to live the legend of the "agressive scout".
    Post edited by CHEFARZT1 on
  • KarmaKinetic
    1128 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

true, I know what you mean, it's a AND AND affair.
    In this case we were pushing though, might have even won with an extra good tanker.
    St. Quentin is hard for tanks, instant death is almost certain, but still.
    Easier to cap flags with 2 tanks on it that me alone trying to fight them all off :p
  • JelleMees_Twitch
    341 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

That all depends on how bad the team is. I don't care if I have to die twice to do it. I'll destroy every tank that comes my way ( I Always play Assault class ).
    Luckely for me, a lot of tankers think like you, and they die trying. Along with all passengers.

I stopped about 15-20 players that wanted to cross the road ( D to B ) in the beginnning of the match. I think that's just as important as getting 5 players to a certain objective. It gave my team the time to gather all forces ( from B and C ) and attack as one army to D and take it. After that, all I had to do is defend the road/bridge at D and Bravo, and my team only had to wurry about pushing to E and F on North side of the map since I defended the south.

Also keep in mind that it's possible to get out of the truck so that squadmates can spawn on you. And that's what I often do. Same with the horse. I ride to an objecive, get off, make sure that at least one clanmember spawns on me, and get back on again. But to be honest, I only do that when I'm playing with my clan. Randoms don't listen or have VOIP disabled.

• Sixclicks
    4106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 12
    Do you play infantry much?

Which would you prefer when your team is having a hard time pushing through enemy defenses?

1. A mortar truck sitting in the back racking up kills on enemies that just revive each other and have no ticket bleed.

2. Or a tank pushing with you on the front line providing mobile cover, causing non anti-tank classes to flee the area, and providing a mobile spawn point for your team so that you don't have to run as far through no-man's land? Not to mention, the tank can also help to capture the objective by being on it.

I'd choose number 2 100% of the time. Just like the vast majority of players would.
  • WetFishDB
    Sixclicks wrote: »

Which would you prefer when your team is having a hard time pushing through enemy defenses?

1. A mortar truck sitting in the back racking up kills on enemies that just revive each other and have no ticket bleed.

2. Or a tank pushing with you on the front line providing mobile cover, causing non anti-tank classes to flee the area, and providing a mobile spawn point for your team so that you don't have to run as far through no-man's land? Not to mention, the tank can also help to capture the objective by being on it.

I'd choose number 2 100% of the time. Just like the vast majority of players would.

As someone who aggressively PTFO's I'd prefer the second option. Absolutely. Every. Single. Time.

But, if someone is getting 100's of kills on the flag I'm attacking, I'd take that too. People tend to avoid dying if they can help it (the ticket thing is mostly irrelevant). Getting 100's of kills in a mortar truck means they were providing sustained support and denying an area for the enemy (or at least making it very perilous). That support makes it much easier for me to capture/hold that flag, or a few objective playing blueberry's to do so whilst I focus on the other flags etc.

The issue is that it sounds like there weren't that many PTFO players in that server, hence why the guy went 100-0 and they didn't progress. In that case it's really a choice between a tank going solo onto a flag, and inevitably getting blown into bits after a handful of kills, or a mortar able to provide sustained cover hoping someone somewhere decides to play that objective. In either case the outcome is the same: no flag captured.

The problem is that it feels more frustrating for the enemy, as its a cheap kill/death. And for the team mates it feels like they aren't getting as much support as they can't see the impact it's having - especially frustrating if they can't take a sector. And everyone's feeling a bit frustrated because the guy was doing that all from relative safety and without many counters. For me, that's the issue - poor balanced design from Dice. If there were counters, then there is a risk/reward tradeoff for the mortar user, which doesn't currently exist (not at least until they get past the first sector etc).

• theONEFORCE

As someone who aggressively PTFO's I'd prefer the second option. Absolutely. Every. Single. Time.

But, if someone is getting 100's of kills on the flag I'm attacking, I'd take that too. People tend to avoid dying if they can help it (the ticket thing is mostly irrelevant). Getting 100's of kills in a mortar truck means they were providing sustained support and denying an area for the enemy (or at least making it very perilous). That support makes it much easier for me to capture/hold that flag, or a few objective playing blueberry's to do so whilst I focus on the other flags etc.

The issue is that it sounds like there weren't that many PTFO players in that server, hence why the guy went 100-0 and they didn't progress. In that case it's really a choice between a tank going solo onto a flag, and inevitably getting blown into bits after a handful of kills, or a mortar able to provide sustained cover hoping someone somewhere decides to play that objective. In either case the outcome is the same: no flag captured.

The problem is that it feels more frustrating for the enemy, as its a cheap kill/death. And for the team mates it feels like they aren't getting as much support as they can't see the impact it's having - especially frustrating if they can't take a sector. And everyone's feeling a bit frustrated because the guy was doing that all from relative safety and without many counters. For me, that's the issue - poor balanced design from Dice. If there were counters, then there is a risk/reward tradeoff for the mortar user, which doesn't currently exist (not at least until they get past the first sector etc).

The problem is that there is no way for a team to know that they are getting "supported" in this way. If you see a tank near a point firing shells while teammates are pouring out of it you know that the flag is getting attacked and it gives confidence to join in. If there is an artillery truck hiding behind where you spawn so you don't even see it when you spawn in, chances are you have no clue that he is killing people off the flag you would like to attack. Maybe, and its a big maybe, if they added the blue outline like the infiltrator and the boats have for artillery strikes, it would better help communicate what is happening, but for the most part the team is in the dark right now.

Especially on sector one flag A of Conquer hell which I would argue is the most abused flag for this tactic. The team has to go over the top to attack the flag and they can't see whether the enemy team is getting shelled or not until they are already there.

This type of truck would be successful if there were team comms and everyone was on the same page but that's not the game we're playing.
  • WetFishDB

The problem is that there is no way for a team to know that they are getting "supported" in this way. If you see a tank near a point firing shells while teammates are pouring out of it you know that the flag is getting attacked and it gives confidence to join in. If there is an artillery truck hiding behind where you spawn so you don't even see it when you spawn in, chances are you have no clue that he is killing people off the flag you would like to attack. Maybe, and its a big maybe, if they added the blue outline like the infiltrator and the boats have for artillery strikes, it would better help communicate what is happening, but for the most part the team is in the dark right now.

Especially on sector one flag A of Conquer hell which I would argue is the most abused flag for this tactic. The team has to go over the top to attack the flag and they can't see whether the enemy team is getting shelled or not until they are already there.

This type of truck would be successful if there were team comms and everyone was on the same page but that's not the game we're playing.

Regardless of anything else, I think the idea for the mortar outline is good - for both teams - a bit like the infiltrator one does. Same should apply to mortars from Behomoths too IMHO. At the moment they are all cheap deaths that the player can do nothing about.
  • boutneus
    2382 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    CHEFARZT1 wrote: »
    jasoncaric wrote: »
    I play operations exclusively and i sometimes get in the arty truck and rain hell and fire on the objectives and tanks and whatnot. I use it as it’s intended. Seems like every time I use it now u have some jackass getting on top of it and preventing me from using the mortar. I could see if I’m 3-0 with it halfway through the round but I rack up the kills and flag defends always. I can routinely get 40-50 kills and get a lot of points from flag defends and usually get mvp or top 2 or 3. Why all the saltiness from my own team?

Its taboo because peeps are too stupid to see that a vehicle able to bombard, gas, and smoke a flag nonstop is the way to go when attacking. Real heroes sucide tanks 24/7 while trying to decide which is the worst flag to attack solo or trying to live the legend of the "agressive scout".

It’s taboo because bad players like urself need it to justify it by the fact they can’t keep a tank alive near the objective if they tried. I’ll take a pro tanker on point over 1000 mortar trucks blanketing a capture point