Weekly BF

my gripe about River Somme

skates15
453 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
as defender you are given no tanks while the other team spawns tanks one right after the other. As soon as you kill one or two, two more come up. If you are defender and your side is not doing well, I don't see why the winning team should be given so many tank spawns. Yes, I see they would need them in the beginning since they have no caps, but once the game is under way and they have the caps then why keep giving them the advantage?

Comments

• AlotOfThunder
    1545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    yeah but at least they're landships, which require teamwork amongst the crew to really wreck havoc.
  • SlugSniper
    1022 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Honestly, that's a good point. I do like the map, although I see what you mean. If the attacking team takes all of the flags, the defending team has no armor to counterattack with.

What would be great is if the defending team gets a whole bunch of cavalry to counterattack with, if only to cut through towards the A point and pound the tanks with light AT grenades.

I'm still hoping for more cavalry features.
  • Dinamythe2512
    320 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Or simply more field cannons, but there are already quite a few of them for the germans to use.

But I don't think german needs tanks or that british need less tanks. As to be efficient a tank need at least 3 crew. To be destroyed it needs also 3 anti-tank soldiers (assault/support)
  • ssjsnoop
    302 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The first time I played the map, I was Attackers, and it was such a sick match.

Then when I played as Defenders I was like, "Wait, No base spawn point or vehicles while they get infinite tanks?"

I destroyed so many tanks but they just kept coming...
  • skates15
    453 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    ssjsnoop wrote: »
    The first time I played the map, I was Attackers, and it was such a sick match.

Then when I played as Defenders I was like, "Wait, No base spawn point or vehicles while they get infinite tanks?"

I destroyed so many tanks but they just kept coming...
    That sums it up very well. I kept destroying the tanks, but they would respawn immediately. It was hopeless.
  • Saddisticspeller
    853 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Well yeah, it's called balance.

One team has to attack so they get more tools to attack with. I've been playing this map a ton over the past week and it's pretty much a 50/50 for attackers and defenders.

The attacking team should have more killing power then the defending team, or else the defending team wins almost 100% of the time.
    12 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I think the biggest problem with this map is the attackers have too big a ticket head start, I've only ever seen the defenders win on Somme once, if the attackers get A before the defenders can get 250 score its over for them.
  • Brazil85
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I can't even begin to describe the intense antipathy I have for River Somme. It very quickly replaced Argonne Forest as the map that I hold in the highest contempt. And it really does come down to how horribly one-sided it's skewed toward the attackers. I dislike Conquest Assault to begin with, but Somme just brings it to a whole new level.
    I've been playing this map a ton over the past week and it's pretty much a 50/50 for attackers and defenders.

Yeah, no. I've gotten stuck in it quite a bit and I've only ever won once as a defender, never lost as an attacker.
  • von_Campenstein
    6571 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    My gripe is that it's Conquest Assault, a game mode too far.
  • Goofy-The-Sc0t
    1214 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

^^this
  • WetFishDB
    2020 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Brazil85 wrote: »
    I can't even begin to describe the intense antipathy I have for River Somme. It very quickly replaced Argonne Forest as the map that I hold in the highest contempt. And it really does come down to how horribly one-sided it's skewed toward the attackers. I dislike Conquest Assault to begin with, but Somme just brings it to a whole new level.
    I've been playing this map a ton over the past week and it's pretty much a 50/50 for attackers and defenders.

Yeah, no. I've gotten stuck in it quite a bit and I've only ever won once as a defender, never lost as an attacker.

I dislike CQA just as much. I find attacking easier for sure. Just flank to E/F at the beginning and then start picking off rear flags. As the defenders come back the front line then pushes forward. Only once got the mercy rule though. For defending it's still pretty easy to win, but the key is preventing the flank and the back flags from being captured for as long as possible. If everyone is camping with sniper rifles looking at A then your team will lose.

However, unlike the OP I love Argonne. No tanks. No planes. Its all about infantry play for a change, and mostly close/medium range.
  • Hawxxeye
    5938 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yes, asymmetric map design in PvP is a recipe for disaster
  • trip1ex
    4877 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    CQA is great. Works great for BF. BF started with lots of CQA maps actually. BF42 and BF2 had lots of CQA maps. Some of the classic maps in BF history are CQA.

Does no one like to fight for flags any more?!?!??

• SlugSniper
    1022 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    CQA is one of the backbones of the Battlefield series. Asymmetrical gameplay makes the most interesting gameplay.
  • Noodlesocks
    3029 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Yeah. I have nothing against the mode itself but it just doesn't work with modern Battlefield. The squad spawn system and especially Battlefield 1's ticket system runs counter to Conquest Assaults design.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    13261 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    idk..

I've been on the somme map quite a few times where the attacking forces couldn't even make it past flag A.

We had assaults with AT Rocket Guns up at the wooden log piles, There's also the Tankgewehr that spawns which can help against armour provided supports continue resupplying you.

But on the flipside I've seen tanks just rush in and get decimated too.
  • crabman169
    12845 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Lmao people whine about "muh historical accuracy" than complain when it's attempted.

Germans have access to field cannons as well as the assault/support class. Hell even Spice it up with medic and Scout with HE rifle nades and k bullets.

The only actual issue is that there is no timer on the landships respawn; obviously that's to help them push through Apples. They should be changed once a certain threshold is met but at the same time what's to say even with the no timer respawn the British get stomped or after their tanks get a timer they get smashed back to spawn?

Honestly people need to learn how to DEFEND.

• ssjsnoop
    302 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    This map is 10x better in Shock Ops now. Seriously.
  • trip1ex
    4877 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2018
    River Somme, is that the map where you just take the motorcycle as attackers and drive through the out-of-bounds to F flag? XD

Yeah until you meet the team with players who defend against that.
    crabman169 wrote: »

The only actual issue is that there is no timer on the landships respawn; obviously that's to help them push through Apples. They should be changed once a certain threshold is met

The farther the attackers push up the map the longer it will take the landships to get the frontlines from their spawn. That's a timer in and of itself.