Commander

MLDBubbles2143
636 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Battlefield 2 and 4 had commander mode, lets add it to Battlefield V

Comments

• GRIZZ11283
    4839 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    For a balancing issue, i'd say no.
    It's ok if both teams had a commander, but when only one team has one, it becomes unfair.
    So for that reason, it's hope not from me.
  • B3ANTOWN__B3A5T
    4364 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    GRIZZ11283 wrote: »
    It's ok if both teams had a commander, but when only one team has one, it becomes unfair.

Came here to say exactly this. When one side has a legit commander dropping in tanks for his side, calling the UAVn and bombing the other team with the big missle its very much a game changer. Commander was worth a shot to bring back in BF4 but it just didn't work.
  • MLDBubbles2143
    636 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    In Battlefield 2 commanders got a score bonus multiplier if his/her team won. There must just be enough incentive for people to always want to play the role as commander.
  • Centurion2I
    92 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I loved playing as commander on bf4
  • warslag
    1601 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    With the changes to spotting and attrition it might make sense to have a commander in the BF2 style. Supply drops would be useful, similar style arty for breaking stalemates, and map spotting but without the voice spam.
  • Noodlesocks
    3365 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2018
    Would be good if it was like Battlefield 2's commander with the commander being an actual player in the server and with things to actually do.

Battlefield 4's commander was very poorly implemented and received pretty much no support in the way of patching and updates.
  • S1ngular1ty
    801 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I highly doubt they will ever put a commander back in BF. They SHOULD, however.
  • S4R1N
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    As much as I'd like to go back to the good old days of battlefield, I don't think Commander mode would work too well in this one.

They've decided to go the route of giving the commander type abilities to squad leaders as performance bonuses rather than timed commander abilities. I think this is the right way to go, given the type of playerbase BF now has and the theme of BFV, the way it's set up now should work better.

We also have things like behemoths (I think they're going to be in BFV, not sure), so destroyers already fill that gap of superweapons to call in, but they're actually player driven.

In terms of team coordination, they've managed this in a different way, you receive a huge amount of points if you're defending a point or killing enemies while on a point, this was evident in BF1 as well. They're adding the ability to fortify, add emplaced weapons and resupply stations, this is all a game design method of pushing people to stay on points without being expressly instructed to.

It's a smart way of removing the human failure element from the Commander gameplay, as much as I loved it in previous games.
  • MLDBubbles2143
    S4R1N wrote: »
    As much as I'd like to go back to the good old days of battlefield, I don't think Commander mode would work too well in this one.

They've decided to go the route of giving the commander type abilities to squad leaders as performance bonuses rather than timed commander abilities. I think this is the right way to go, given the type of playerbase BF now has and the theme of BFV, the way it's set up now should work better.

We also have things like behemoths (I think they're going to be in BFV, not sure), so destroyers already fill that gap of superweapons to call in, but they're actually player driven.

In terms of team coordination, they've managed this in a different way, you receive a huge amount of points if you're defending a point or killing enemies while on a point, this was evident in BF1 as well. They're adding the ability to fortify, add emplaced weapons and resupply stations, this is all a game design method of pushing people to stay on points without being expressly instructed to.

It's a smart way of removing the human failure element from the Commander gameplay, as much as I loved it in previous games.

Why limit the game due to human failure when there is chance that both teams play in squads and now there is a commander to guide the squads so that they work together effectively? Sure in the beginning there will be games in which one side does not have a commander and then they get steam rolled. People learn or do you claim that people don't have the ability to adjust and adapt?
  • DaHuntzMen
    282 postsUnconfirmed, Member, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

both teams in BF2 had commander mode
  • GRIZZ11283
    4839 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    DaHuntzMen wrote: »

both teams in BF2 had commander mode

Both teams in BF4 had it, doesn't mean both teams had someone being the commander at the same time though
  • CyrusHere
    12 postsMember Member
    I don't know if any of you here have played Red Orchestra 2 on PC, but they have commanders and from my experience, I can validate the statement that if one team has a garbage commander, the whole team suffers. If they do add it, balance would be a key issue, as well as making sure the player is competent. Perhaps have a rank cap for playing as commander? ex: only level 50? idk
  • MLDBubbles2143
    CyrusHere wrote: »
    I don't know if any of you here have played Red Orchestra 2 on PC, but they have commanders and from my experience, I can validate the statement that if one team has a garbage commander, the whole team suffers. If they do add it, balance would be a key issue, as well as making sure the player is competent. Perhaps have a rank cap for playing as commander? ex: only level 50? idk

In Battlefield 2 13 years ago the player with the highest rank gets the position of the commander first. If he is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and deemed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ by his fellow team members, the team members could vote to mutiny the commander. The next highest rank player could get the position if he wants to.