How to Control Weapon Recoil

Forkbeard84
1848 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
I see people talking about this and wonder if anyone has specific techniques for controlling the recoil on your weapon so all your bullets land mostly in the same spot. I play on console so tips on how to use the controller to control recoil and any other specific in game tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Halcyon_Creed_N7
    1545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Impossible on console with high RPm auto weapons without a mouse, because weapons have a lot of horizontal recoil as well. Which is basically random to with side it's going to bounce to. Also, random spread makes this difficult even witth MNK.

Basically, BF1 weapon mechanics are trash.
  • RavenousTithe
    139 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    For me switching to a wired internet connection and moniter as opposed to a television made a difference in not only my target acquisition, but recoil control. Not sure if there is a correlation, but definitely do this if you haven't.

Besides that, practice with each weapon you want to master. Do you need to burst at medium range? Can you hip fire full auto for better results? You just have to play around a bit. Practice firing at a wall or other object and trying to keep your reticle on target. Each weapon, again, is going to be a bit different in regards to how it responds to you pulling the thumbstick down.

Try aiming at the knees of an opponent with those monster recoil guns. Let the recoil work for you and bring the reticle up to his chest and head (close to medium close ranges). So many people say they will not use the Parabellum because of the ADS recoil, but it really is manageable with practice. Hip-fire up close! Full auto ADS just outside of close for a ten to fifteen round burst while giving that stick a bit of downward pull. At true medium range you can burst ADS in five to ten shot spurts. This is how I make it work extremely effectively.

Usually the recoil monsters have super fast ttk, so you shouldn't have to fight the recoil for too long. I hope this helps. I don't think there is a magic bullet when it comes to conquering recoil. I too struggled for quite some time, but now there isn't a weapon in the game I'm afraid to engage because of recoil.
  • AngryBFGameNerd
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    No sure about your desktop/laptop setup, but higher fps makes recoil more manageable.
  • Forkbeard84
    For me switching to a wired internet connection and moniter as opposed to a television made a difference in not only my target acquisition, but recoil control. Not sure if there is a correlation, but definitely do this if you haven't.

Besides that, practice with each weapon you want to master. Do you need to burst at medium range? Can you hip fire full auto for better results? You just have to play around a bit. Practice firing at a wall or other object and trying to keep your reticle on target. Each weapon, again, is going to be a bit different in regards to how it responds to you pulling the thumbstick down.

Try aiming at the knees of an opponent with those monster recoil guns. Let the recoil work for you and bring the reticle up to his chest and head (close to medium close ranges). So many people say they will not use the Parabellum because of the ADS recoil, but it really is manageable with practice. Hip-fire up close! Full auto ADS just outside of close for a ten to fifteen round burst while giving that stick a bit of downward pull. At true medium range you can burst ADS in five to ten shot spurts. This is how I make it work extremely effectively.

Usually the recoil monsters have super fast ttk, so you shouldn't have to fight the recoil for too long. I hope this helps. I don't think there is a magic bullet when it comes to conquering recoil. I too struggled for quite some time, but now there isn't a weapon in the game I'm afraid to engage because of recoil.

Well thank you very much for the detailed advice. I'll try it!

Anybody else with tidbits of recoil wisdom?
  • JoseAlderino
    77 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think you need to have other controller settings spot on too. I had hard times playing the game until I watched TheBrokenMachine's Youtube video about controller settings on PS4. I have everything as he teaches but sensitivity. He has 100% but I have 60 now. Started on 30 and slightly ingreacing.
  • Forkbeard84
    I think you need to have other controller settings spot on too. I had hard times playing the game until I watched TheBrokenMachine's Youtube video about controller settings on PS4. I have everything as he teaches but sensitivity. He has 100% but I have 60 now. Started on 30 and slightly ingreacing.

Ok thanks, yeah I think I’ve watched and used that vid before but I’ll check it out again. Its been around awhile right? I wonder how some of the newer stick abd buton settings might be used. Especially the ones that change activation levels.
  • V2Face
    2688 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Lower magnification on weapons to help with visual recoil, increase field of view, micro burst high recoil weapons at range and use cover (like a wall or ledge) to fire on targets I noticed that even without a bipod it helps control the recoil- Tips from a console player that uses the controller.
  • SlugSniper
    1024 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Impossible on console with high RPm auto weapons without a mouse, because weapons have a lot of horizontal recoil as well. Which is basically random to with side it's going to bounce to. Also, random spread makes this difficult even witth MNK.

Better than BFV's laser-SMGs.
  • kampkaos_420_
    2675 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Tap or burst fire. You can also play with cross hairs in load to compensate or get a pull that is easier to control.
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    1545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

SlugSniper wrote: »

Better than BFV's laser-SMGs.

Objectively not. Having bullets go where you mean them to go should be standard in all shooters. Decreasing the skill gap by adding in random spread mechanics to weapons is terrible, and if you like that then you're also terrible.
  • SlugSniper
    1024 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Objectively not. Having bullets go where you mean them to go should be standard in all shooters. Decreasing the skill gap by adding in random spread mechanics to weapons is terrible, and if you like that then you're also terrible.

An SMG shouldn't be as accurate as a machine gun or rifle beyond medium range. That's terrible balance.
  • Forkbeard84
    V2Face wrote: »
    Lower magnification on weapons to help with visual recoil, increase field of view, micro burst high recoil weapons at range and use cover (like a wall or ledge) to fire on targets I noticed that even without a bipod it helps control the recoil- Tips from a console player that uses the controller.

Good stuff! I’ll try it. Thanks.

Interesting observation about the wall or ledge giving stability.
  • Forkbeard84
    edited July 2018
    Tap or burst fire. You can also play with cross hairs in load to compensate or get a pull that is easier to control.

Thank you. I dont understand the “play with cross hairs in load” part?
  • Goofy-The-Sc0t
    1214 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Practice, practice, practice and more practice.

Also, lowering your weapon's sight magnification gives the illusion of less recoil (less visual recoil), other than bolt-action rifles i tend to run other weapons at low magnification.
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7

An SMG shouldn't be as accurate as a machine gun or rifle beyond medium range. That's terrible balance.

So add more bullet drop and damage drop off to weapons meant to be used in CQC, not make them impossible to use outsude of that range by making them spray wildly, it's bad balancing and unrealistic.
  • SlugSniper

So add more bullet drop and damage drop off to weapons meant to be used in CQC, not make them impossible to use outsude of that range by making them spray wildly, it's bad balancing and unrealistic.

It's also unrealistic for an SMG to be as accurate as a rifle regardless of low damage or bullet drop.
  • KermitJ
    388 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    So make the spread start happening at medium range. Mp18 optical use to be just barely usable out to about 20-30 feet.....just barely

Now it’s only usable at spitting distance
  • JoseAlderino
    77 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Dunno. I keep getting killed by MP18 optical from ridiculous distances. Guys, keep in mind that in order to kill people from 100m you can't expect smg to do the job well. It has to be hard from further than like 40m away. Would be pointless. Already Hellriegel is ridiculously accurate from further distances.
  • Loqtrall
    12468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Step 1: choose a straight recoil pattern
    Step 2: engage enemies in your effective range
    Step 3: as you fire, pull straight down slightly on your mouse/analog stick
    Step 4: Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you get the hang of it.

Option B: Do the above steps, but instead of engaging enemies, engage a brick wall so you can see the grouping of your shots, and practice until you've got it down.
  • KermitJ
    388 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited July 2018
    Dunno. I keep getting killed by MP18 optical from ridiculous distances. Guys, keep in mind that in order to kill people from 100m you can't expect smg to do the job well. It has to be hard from further than like 40m away. Would be pointless. Already Hellriegel is ridiculously accurate from further distances.

Been using the helrigel defensive that bipod is awesome! The horizontal recoil however for both variants is horrendous. There bullet hoses that can keep firing reverse the horizontal and increase physical or a slight spread increase. I sound like a broken record but It’s not that it’s op the weapon is extremely forgiving and one of that easier weapons to use considering most have in some way been neutered.

The Rigel is ina sense a jack of all trades master of none