Today in unpopularsville...

StretchyBlackMan
93 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
edited July 2018
Hey guys.

I've nothing better to do. Let's stir the pot.

So I've been doing the rounds in game, looking at chat and shooting some dudes.
And I have come to a realization that makes me sad.

Nobody likes Galicia. And that saddens me, because I think it's really fun to play.

Now, now, hold your horses mister "But that's because you just grab the Putilov and vehicle farm"
No, that's not it. Although the Putilov is fun.

In fact, there's a few reasons why.

1. The lack of obvious cover
This map's notorious claim to infamy, the argument that it "has no cover." The most unimaginative claim known to man.
This is a map that gives you scarcity and promotes those who improvise. While at first it just looks like open field, one can find shellholes, trenches, destroyed trucks, windmills, houses, trains, grassy knolls, all sortsa stuff. And if worst comes to worse, if you're out in no man's land and you've nowhere to turn, throw smokes between you and the nearest cover. If you've really gotten yourself caught in the boonies, such as between A and E, well that's kind of your own fault.

2. Running weapons that probably shouldn't be run on this map
Nothing brings me greater joy than dominating on Galicia with the Model 1900 or Fedorov Avtomat. Step aside, Ross Mk.III Sniper. Get out of my sight, M1917 MG. I have my Super-Hotty Double-Shotty and the Avtomat-Before-Time to bring me up to the top of the scoreboard.

2. Teamplay
This is either the best thing about this map or the worst thing about this map. Hell, it's the best/worst thing about any map in this game.

Imagine, if you will, you're storming D flag. But alas, where is your team? Oh, alas, they are sitting back in spawn with their bipod'd LMGs, scoped bolt-actions, and mortar trucks. You jump into the flag with your own bolt action and expect to outplay enemies who came prepared with medium to close range guns.

Convince a team that you should only use scout, support, and the arty truck on this map and they'll just that.

Now imagine another scenario, rushing D flag but instead you're supported with well-minded medics, assaults, and just maybe that Putilov slam van. The enemies, most of who may be long range classes, will be no match for your buckshot or 6.5×50mmSR Arisaka at a range of 15-5 meters.

Show a team that you can be just as effective without having to grab a scoped gun, and they'll potentially believe you. Potentially.

4. It's pretty.
Yeah, alright, this is a given with any Battlefield map, because Frostbite is nice.

But like

Look at it though.

k9gtqq.jpg

From "The Beauty of Battlefield" by Flickr user Den7on

The old Eastern European windmill design, the river, the light forest, the unnatural beautiful skies, it all gives you an impression of fighting on the Eastern Front.

Also, blizzards.

Well, that's my rant over. Just thought I'd give this poorly-battered map some attention.

What do you think? Is there a grain of truth to what I've said? Am I just spouting hogwash? Could you not care less? Lemme know.

Comments

• OrionPherrit
    458 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I appreciate your enthusiasm but still hate Galicia with a passion. :p Also loath that Garfield-Puttyluv where the driver hogs up most of the kills & leaves me the scraps. Of course, we have the same problem in real tanks, but at least they offer more armor protection.

I had to be bribed with BPs to even play it, but after getting my head blasted off zillions of times, the Ops campaign is just too painful. Most of the BP skins are duplicates & not worth it anymore.

Unless you offer me Tony Stark’s Ironman suit or the Predator’s invisibility gadget, I ain’t going back there. The Russians can keep it. :#
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    5968 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2018
    It definitely looks pretty but that's about it. The map itself is too open and too flat so snipers and planes can easily prey on their targets. And I'm not even speaking of Operations mode where the map becomes an absolute nightmare especially for attackers.
    I fail to realize why art style was a priority during the creation of the map instead of gameplay design. Poor, very poor map. Like most of them created by LA.
  • magosnow
    607 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    If i'm in a plane/horse/blyat truck it's one of my favourite maps because,as you said,it's graphically gorgeous. On foot i saw i just roam a couple of flags and miss too much map.
  • Contra87
    698 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I like it too OP. And I don’t use vehicles at all (leave them for someone that knows what they’re doing, hopefully). I really like splitting Assault melons that are trying to cross open ground with the G95 Carbine. This map is really good for that on offense or defense. Also, it’s great for tripwire kills, because lanes of travel are pretty predictable. Yeah, I’m one of THOSE guys. Lol
  • CS-2107
    1554 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    crabman169 wrote: »
    Maybe because people are burn out on it due to the operation campaigns being 75% Galica and 25% every single other map

The funny part of it is, that Galicia seemed to me like the best balanced operations map, as smoke works wonders for the attackers and Brusilov is great fun too. Verdun is just rididcolously hard, just like Monte Grappa, Fort Vaux and Sinai Desert...

I like Galicia more than I initailly thought I would. There is little to no cover, but I feel like it is still enough to move around the map and each class can still play to its strenghts except for assault maybe.
  • KriZ_Rul3Z
    296 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The thing about cover in Galicia: you can run across the open field and even if you manage to get to that crater: then what? The enemy has seen you go in, you'll have 10 snipers just waiting for you to stick your head out again while you try to dash through the open field once again.

Sure, smoke helps you advance, but you'd need at least 5 smokes to get where you need to go. I suppose teammates could help out with that, but well... we all know you can't depend on casuals, especially regarding smoke.

Result: way too little cover, you get sniped every 2 seconds without any hopes of ever reaching the objective. Die and repeat x 100.
  • V2Face
    2676 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It’s an awful map and I would rather play Sinai Desert and Monte Grappa over that and I hate those maps as well. Maps that cater to one play style just drives me up the wall, it’s very simply poor design. It’s mostly sniping on the outer rims of flags and vehicle farming nothing more.
  • StretchyBlackMan
    CS-2107 wrote: »
    Maybe because people are burn out on it due to the operation campaigns being 75% Galica and 25% every single other map

The funny part of it is, that Galicia seemed to me like the best balanced operations map, as smoke works wonders for the attackers and Brusilov is great fun too. Verdun is just rididcolously hard, just like Monte Grappa, Fort Vaux and Sinai Desert...

I like Galicia more than I initailly thought I would. There is little to no cover, but I feel like it is still enough to move around the map and each class can still play to its strenghts except for assault maybe.

I wouldn’t say best, necessarily. Most ops come down to quality teamwork, which is a rare virtue.

But it isn’t the most difficult operation I’ve played. In fact, it’s fairly straightforward to win and actually kinda fun.

Now Devil’s Anvil, oh boy.
    Ooooooohhhhh boy.
  • -Antares65z
    1696 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2018
    Hey guys.

I've nothing better to do. Let's stir the pot.

So I've been doing the rounds in game, looking at chat and shooting some dudes.
    And I have come to a realization that makes me sad.

Nobody likes Galicia. And that saddens me, because I think it's really fun to play.

You're right, most people don't like Galicia because it's nothing but an arty truck/heavy bomber/sniper farming map. According to a map ranking poll on Reddit, Galicia is considered the worst map in the game.
    https://i.imgur.com/SnLrLDB.jpg Personally I think Caporetto takes the cake for being the worst map.

• StretchyBlackMan
    I question how far you read.

I still have an inherent distaste for Suez, but beyond that no map really irks me all that much.

I’d rather spend time taking control of the situation I’m in and dominating (IE: grabbing Assault or the Putilov for enemy Arty truck, the Burton or AA for Heavy Bombers and flanking weak-minded scouts and sending buckshot into their torso) than going onto Reddit and voting in map polls.
  • KarmaKinetic
    1143 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I love this map, nothing gets me more exited then steamrolling the defenders on this map by flanking with Putilov's :)
    It's easy to play, but most people just forget to flank
  • Gmkillers
    1239 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It’s awful....
  • StretchyBlackMan
    Qualitative addition to the discussion.
  • II-Katyusha-II
    1168 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Not my favourite map but I don't mind it. Would rather play it over something like Monte Grappa or Empire's Edge personally.
  • StretchyBlackMan
    edited July 2018
    Not my favourite map but I don't mind it. Would rather play it over something like Monte Grappa or Empire's Edge personally.

I enjoy those maps as well, but that's probably my personal Italian bias.
    Avanti Savoia!
  • ronybaloney
    286 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I love Galicia. I vote for it every time it comes up. It's so different than all other maps plus I get to shoot down lots of planes with AA guns.
  • crabman169
    12848 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Given how incompetent players are on the map in Ops I'm inclined to disagree. It heavily favours the defenders by default
  • SlugSniper
    1024 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Love this map too. And yes, there's plenty of cover, even from aircraft. Give me a horse or the Medic class with the General Liu's bolt-action mode, and I'm in my prime.
  • StretchyBlackMan

Given how incompetent players are on the map in Ops I'm inclined to disagree. It heavily favours the defenders by default

Yeah, but as you said it’s kinda down to player incompetence. Any op can be easy to defend if the attackers are sitting back with bolt actions and scoped LMGs not pushing flags.