This Week in Battlefield V

A7V vs. Saint-Chamond - I'm confused

Comments

• KarmaKinetic
    1143 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2018
    That all depends on the situation. Heavy tankers have a bad drop with the shells, and they miss often. Also, you dont always spot tanks right away. The gas variant of the st chamond can shoot around corners by the way, so good luck with that HE shell. the one more shell of the st chamond it takes to take out an heavy doesnt really matter. That, combined with its superior diversity (5 times better at dealing with infantry) is why its they way for me. I mostly win from heavy tanks by the way :)

this isnt about situation in a straight up tank fight were the tanker are on the same skill level the av7 will win due to having thick armor it shell does more damage and it's parts dont disable a easily as the same st. chamond. this isnt about what you do as a tanker you wanted to know why people still heavy over st chamond here is your answer.

This is only really true if it’s the anti tank variant of the heavy. The others go down pretty easy.

An added bonus of the Chammond is the ability to freewheel in reverse. This is annoying to most people unless they realize that you can repair while swiftly cruising away from danger. The heavy won’t move unless under power so you will always be a stationary target while repairing.

^^

aside from when that freewheel pushes you of a clif and OOB (it happens, but it's very rare, but still) :D
  • theONEFORCE
    2843 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    APBT wrote: »
    That all depends on the situation. Heavy tankers have a bad drop with the shells, and they miss often. Also, you dont always spot tanks right away. The gas variant of the st chamond can shoot around corners by the way, so good luck with that HE shell. the one more shell of the st chamond it takes to take out an heavy doesnt really matter. That, combined with its superior diversity (5 times better at dealing with infantry) is why its they way for me. I mostly win from heavy tanks by the way :)

this isnt about situation in a straight up tank fight were the tanker are on the same skill level the av7 will win due to having thick armor it shell does more damage and it's parts dont disable a easily as the same st. chamond. this isnt about what you do as a tanker you wanted to know why people still heavy over st chamond here is your answer.

This is only really true if it’s the anti tank variant of the heavy. The others go down pretty easy.

An added bonus of the Chammond is the ability to freewheel in reverse. This is annoying to most people unless they realize that you can repair while swiftly cruising away from danger. The heavy won’t move unless under power so you will always be a stationary target while repairing.

This is an underrated feature, but get the willys sometimes, thinking about freewilling into a mine or two.

I've ended up in some odd places when I come to a stop depending on how badly I needed to repair. Out of bounds, in a building, upside down in a trench. But in a pinch its better than getting blown up.
  • APBT
    842 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    APBT wrote: »

This is an underrated feature, but get the willys sometimes, thinking about freewilling into a mine or two.

I've ended up in some odd places when I come to a stop depending on how badly I needed to repair. Out of bounds, in a building, upside down in a trench. But in a pinch its better than getting blown up.

Yeah when opponents see you freewilling back on fire, most assume the tank is abandoned.

Nah son, I'm making the wrench noise lol
  • boutneus
    2463 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited May 2018
    St chammond is more strategic, because of its awful handling when encountering bumps or hills. So you really gotta pick your routes and path of retreats. Also I like to use the 3rd version and if you’re disabled you’re dead in the water because no emergency repair and it’s cannon doesn’t swivel much so u can’t deal with threats.
    But it does put out way more damage because of the mg.
    The AV7 feels more of a tank tank. Just go in there and start messing up the place. The thing is because of its height it’s hard to take advantage of the terrain and it lacks the mg option. So only good in close quarter maps with flame in my opinion.

Btw talking about real tanking here, not the glorified armored snipers I see a lot of AV7s (u know, the true statpadders who need the thickest armor to protect that KD lol)
    Post edited by boutneus on
  • Dinamythe2512
    320 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I ùse A7V when I'm on the german side for historical accùracy (I don't like the look of the St-Chamond). And to be totally honest, I prefer the Landships over all of them, esthetically aswell as based on his performance. People prefer to go with yoù on the tank if yoù have 2 powerfùl side cannons to offer to them :)
  • Petedawg508
    1222 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I refuse to use the chamond, mainly because of the stability of the tank. You run over a small rock the size of a nut and the tank goes full dukes of hazard and launches and wobbles all over the place. Not sure why people are saying its superior in every way, i use the A7 and can probably count the times on 1 hand that a chamond has taken me out. It's great for farming infantry noobs in ops I'm sure, but tank v tank I haven't seen anything to prove to me that it's better.
  • Imabaka70
    2432 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The st charmond I love using, shot many a planes down with that thing
  • V2Face
    2658 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The French tank is superior in terms of firepower capabilities and mobility but the A7V has more stability when driving. Stability is key when lining up shots on other tankers and infantry. The St. Chamond is way too sensitive to movement and not usuable on any terrain that is uneven. Depending on map and map terrain having different flexible choices means that one or the other can be beneficial to survivability.
  • xxDicemanxx
    418 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    @V2Face this gag is going on for to long
  • theONEFORCE
    2843 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    V2Face wrote: »
    The French tank is superior in terms of firepower capabilities and mobility but the A7V has more stability when driving. Stability is key when lining up shots on other tankers and infantry. The St. Chamond is way too sensitive to movement and not usuable on any terrain that is uneven. Depending on map and map terrain having different flexible choices means that one or the other can be beneficial to survivability.

You get used to the way they drive. In the beginning I hated it but now the only time I get annoyed by a chamond's movement is when I go into those uncontrollable side to side rolls like you are on a half pipe sideways but those only happen once in a great while.
  • abc1434286920
    447 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2018
    V2Face wrote: »

You get used to the way they drive. In the beginning I hated it but now the only time I get annoyed by a chamond's movement is when I go into those uncontrollable side to side rolls like you are on a half pipe sideways but those only happen once in a great while.

Lol those rolls can be very frustrating and some times feel endless.
    Standoff all day every day, any other tank feels a downgrade without the spotlight. Just gotta chose wisely on the timing and positioning when an enemy heavy is around (map and kill feed )

• Alef_work
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

So... I need someone to explain to me purpouse of exisiting of A7V tank in the game right now.

Not a lot of people can afford an "Il ne passerront pas" DLC and that's why the A7V is the cheapest variant to choose (at least....)

• StretchyBlackMan
    93 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I use the St. Chamond as the French Republic.
    I use the A7V as the German Empire.
    I use the Mark V as the British Empire.
    I use the Putilov Garford as the Russian Empire.

It’s quite fun to play with vehicles that correspond to the faction you’re playing as.
  • Puckerbucket
    694 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Not sure why people are saying its superior in every way, i use the A7 and can probably count the times on 1 hand that a chamond has taken me out.

I have to think you haven't encountered many good SC tankers. I *know* I'm not the only one who has figured out how to ram an A7..... When I'm in a SC and and A7 comes at me, I just barrel straight at him while firing. Works every time: the SC goes UNDER the A7. Next thing you know, the A7 is looking at the sky, and I'm shooting at his underbelly. No contest.
    I also can't believe how few have mentioned the standoff assault version of the SC, with the spotting beacon. If you're more concerned with your own stats, I guess you don't get it. But that thing is an absolute game changer on certain maps (St Quentin, Fao, I'm looking at you).... You get it to high ground, hit the spotting beacon and swing your view all the way across the horizon from one side to the other. Suddenly, EVERY enemy has a red dot above his head, the kill feed goes nuts with blue killing red, and "spot bonus" points start piling up like a jackpot spin. Seriously, some maps are almost impossible to lose on if you have someone that knows how to use that weapon.
    I will agree that the suspension on the SC is whack. It feels like you're driving a 1980's Buick mounted on a pontoon boat. But the tradeoff in gameplay is absolutely worth it.

• hellfire_cthulhu
    120 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Not sure why people are saying its superior in every way, i use the A7 and can probably count the times on 1 hand that a chamond has taken me out.

I have to think you haven't encountered many good SC tankers. I *know* I'm not the only one who has figured out how to ram an A7..... When I'm in a SC and and A7 comes at me, I just barrel straight at him while firing. Works every time: the SC goes UNDER the A7. Next thing you know, the A7 is looking at the sky, and I'm shooting at his underbelly. No contest.
    I also can't believe how few have mentioned the standoff assault version of the SC, with the spotting beacon. If you're more concerned with your own stats, I guess you don't get it. But that thing is an absolute game changer on certain maps (St Quentin, Fao, I'm looking at you).... You get it to high ground, hit the spotting beacon and swing your view all the way across the horizon from one side to the other. Suddenly, EVERY enemy has a red dot above his head, the kill feed goes nuts with blue killing red, and "spot bonus" points start piling up like a jackpot spin. Seriously, some maps are almost impossible to lose on if you have someone that knows how to use that weapon.
    I will agree that the suspension on the SC is whack. It feels like you're driving a 1980's Buick mounted on a pontoon boat. But the tradeoff in gameplay is absolutely worth it.

The ramming thing works like a charm against A7V, the situation 1 vs 1, is not a precise formula, the SC has some weird bouncing, to me is a +, the A7V "tank hunter" (can't remember the name) makes more damage plus has the extra emergency repair that the standoff SC doesn't, the SC gas variant, some times, can hit an A7V when the A7C can't (depending on positioning), and list goes on and on.
    The reverse repairing is great is you know hot to use it on the SC, is smaller so it can go inside certain buildings, for example in Amiens.
    Idk if is just me, or why, but I like better the projectile drop from the standoff SC, and the speed, maybe is an optical illusion, to me is better than any A7V variant. But the thing I like the most is the cannon + machine gun combo on the standoff. I used a lot the standoff SC, to me still remains my favorite of all, but since I used a lot is kinda boring now, I'm trying different variants of the Mark V and the A7V.
  • SirSpectacle
    788 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    In a tank vs tank battle I'd say the A7V has a slight advantage because it's a much more stable firing platform, especially on the move. But infantry is also a serious threat to tanks and the Chamond is much better at killing infantry due to having a front-facing machine gun, and the Standoff variant pulls even further ahead with the spotlight.

You can compensate for the Chamond's instability with skill, but you can't compensate for the A7V's limited anti-infantry armament, so expert tankers will go with the Chamond every time.
  • magosnow
    607 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited July 2018
    The random i play with seem to not understand that the red dots on the map are enemies,so the SC is useless in my eyes. On console is also quite hard to aim with the turret,since it has a who knows what sensitivity. Also i don't like skating in a tank. The shotgun is bliss too.
    Post edited by magosnow on
  • hellfire_cthulhu
    120 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    At very close range you're wrong, you can flip an A7V with a SC, If I have a video I'll post it.
  • TheGM86
    763 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    herodes87 wrote: »
    1. Its a German Tank
    2. Its the Tiger Tank of WW1
    3. Its a German Tank
    Implying any of those are good.
  • UraniumReaper
    577 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I've used the SC Assault tank a lot and it is better in a lot of ways to me. However I've noticed the A7 hits like a monster and usually kills any infantry I'm shooting at, whereas the Chamond seems to leave me with 85 or so damage against them. I'd say my breakdown of time playing puts the Chamond as my top (or maybe the land ship and then Chamond) and A7 at the bottom though, so maybe I'm biased.