Advice.

Neitzchie
2 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Dear Friends. I'll be 75 years old in November. I'm at a level 57 and a 19 rank Scout is my best. My reaction time is terrible and my aim is poor. Can count on one hand the times I've beaten someone face-to face.
Game is crazy or desperate to make me squad leader as often it does. However, I always give good orders (mostly) I think. Any advice. I love the game. Would becoming a tanker be better? Should I just wait
for BF5 Campaign or simply call it a day and play bridge on-line?

Comments

• abc1434286920
    448 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Get the mortar truck out and start bombing people, absolutely no reflexes or any other positive attributes are required.

Apart from then jokes, just have fun and don't worry about stats etc. Try various things, you might enjoy the cavalry for instance.

Game on!

Ps are you on console or PC? Aim assist with the sniper will work but choose an infantry variant. Otherwise I suggest a large capacity lmg weapon (support)
  • CrashCA
    1439 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Keep playing, never stop. Coming up on 64 here. There are a least a few communities of older gamers out there.
  • Noodlesocks
    3748 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Have you tried the support class? The MGs will allow a lot of leway when it comes to reaction and aim with their larger clips and rapid fire. The bipods that a lot of the guns have will allow you to set up on ledges and on the ground when prone to reduce recoil and allow you to pretty effectively cover an area. They also have a number of gadgets that help support the team that doesn't involve direct firefights with the enemy. Ammo is always in high demand which the support class can provide, especially for assault's anti vehicle weapons. Supports also have mortars that let you sit a little further back and provide some indirect fire on the enemy.

Scout is probably the most difficult class to play aggressively as most of the time they won't do the full 100 damage to the enemy and require a lot of precision and reaction to really be competitive against other classes in a close range firefight. You may find yourself more effective as assault or support.
  • Foot_Elite_Tomei
    306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Support is most forgiving class to play if your aim isn't your best attribute. Machine guns and especially ones with bipod might fit better. You get unlimited ammo in same class via ammo crate/pouches so there's that too.
  • Sixclicks
    5075 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2018
    Scout is a fun class (it's personally my favorite), but it does certainly require quite a bit more dexterity than most of the other classes to win head on fights. As other's said, you might want to try the support class. You can help your allies by resupplying, you've got huge magazines to help if your accuracy isn't too great, and you can deploy the bipod on ledges or while prone to almost eliminate recoil.

As for your question about being a tanker, why not try it? I don't think tanker requires too much in terms of fast reflexes either. Plus your shells have a decent kill radius to them in case you aren't exactly on point. It's more about positioning and knowing when and when not to push forward or retreat to repair (gotta watch out for those pesky assault players throwing AT grenades and hitting you with AT rockets). Although it does require decent eye sight since you need to watch out for AT mines on the ground in your path.

It doesn't hurt to try everything and anything in game to find your niche. That's my advice as a younger guy at least (27).
  • Foot_Elite_Tomei
    306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Forgot to mention that if you have trouble with aiming, you might want to check your sensitivity settings in option menu and lower them if that could help.
  • biketankbob
    86 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    64 here and play everyday. Just enjoy the game and forget stats.Try out new weapons ,modes etc.
  • Kirk40k
    2363 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I also recommend Support, utilize the bipod on the LMG and play in the medium range from all the action.
  • dmccar1001
    627 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Learn the maps ... you do not need to be quick on the trigger if you catch your foes unaware and that usually happens by knowing the maps well.
  • -Antares65z
    1793 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2018
    CrashCA wrote: »
    Keep playing, never stop. Coming up on 64 here. There are a least a few communities of older gamers out there.
    Wow! I'm suddenly feeling like a youngster. I'm coming up on 53. To the OP, keep at it. In the very least, playing a game like this is a great cognitive exercise. It's also good for exercising your eye-hand coordination and sharpening your reflexes. Once you give in to playing Bridge and watching TV, you'll age much faster. Perhaps focus more on a support role, playing a medic and reviving your squad mates. Riding shotgun in a tank or a plane. You can still contribute to your team and get some kills here and there. It's really just about having fun.
  • -Antares65z
    1793 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2018
    Double post.

• Febelas
    102 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Have you tried playing medic? Accuracy or reflexes are irrelevant when healing or reviving. It's not uncommon to see medics with low kills and high scores.

If you want to try playing a tanker, try out the Soissons operation that's being highlighted right now. Attacking team gets ~6 tanks, so it's easier to try out.

Keep in mind though that tanks are important team resources on most maps. A bad tanker has a greater impact on the team's success than a bad infantryman.
  • bapman63
    935 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I just hit the double nickel this year and my fingers get a little stiff after work so I invested in a controler with a half trigger setting. I think it's also known as a hair trigger controler. It doesn't work with all weapons, I think it has to do with rate of fire but it works with most of them.

• research-kitchen
    423 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Neitzchie wrote: »
    Dear Friends. I'll be 75 years old in November. I'm at a level 57 and a 19 rank Scout is my best. My reaction time is terrible and my aim is poor. Can count on one hand the times I've beaten someone face-to face.
    Game is crazy or desperate to make me squad leader as often it does. However, I always give good orders (mostly) I think. Any advice. I love the game. Would becoming a tanker be better? Should I just wait
    for BF5 Campaign or simply call it a day and play bridge on-line?

Do you play bf1 on computer or xbox playstation?
  • hellfire_cthulhu
    120 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    If you are on console, and if you really like playing as scout, my advice is turn off all aim assist and lower your sensitivity when aiming.
    Playing as a tanker, well, depends on what type are you gonna use, but don't stay still in a camping spot farming kills. And, you go down with the ship, don't give the enemy the chance to get an extra tank.
  • hawkseye17
    587 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Play medic and just revive and drop meds. Your score will be high and you don't even need to get many kills
  • zenn_nme
    854 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2018
    75 & playing BF; you're awesome! I'd say go with Support, hang back & just mow people away rambo style with a bipodded LMG from a distance. B):#
  • ElliotLH
    9847 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    bapman63 wrote: »
    I just hit the double nickel this year and my fingers get a little stiff after work so I invested in a controler with a half trigger setting. I think it's also known as a hair trigger controler. It doesn't work with all weapons, I think it has to do with rate of fire but it works with most of them.

If your controller uses the system I'm thinking of then try lowering your trigger sensitivity to 5% as that will negate the need for a full press on the trigger and should mean that all your guns work with the locks.
  • olavafar
    2261 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Just keep playing and you'll get there. Unfortunately FPS experience does not come automatically with old age because it is very disconnected from reality. Unless you have problem seeing and hearing, playing FPS games should not be affected very much by age. You can compensate a lot by taking the tempo down and focus on anticipating what will/can happen rather than just run around wildly. You need to practice the aim though as you will most likely prefer medium distance engagement rather than jumping on people with a shotgun (which does not require much aim but fairly fast reflexes).