class limit or number indicator

blackbeard_teach
34 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
i hate it when i join the match and all folks are snipers or MG or medic

at least limit the roles and gives the objective players that does better than advance roles a role they desire
verdun and red orchestra did a better system that kept the MG wannabe in check.

or at least indicate the numbers of class in the game, i don't want to role out as a sniper and we actually needed at least 4 assults.

Comments

• Obsidiann6
    68 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I proposed this at some point as well but they won't do it unfortunately. It would improve the experience a lot in my opinion. Chivalry also did a good job in that regard.

The argument about paying and doing whatever you want is pretty shallow to be honest. Of course there are rules to every game. If I want to fly an airplane I have to wait to get a slot. Same could be applied for ridiculous amounts of snipers on operation attackers etc.
  • ElliotLH
    9023 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    at least indicate the numbers of class in the game, i don't want to role out as a sniper and we actually needed at least 4 assults.

Classes are shown on the scoreboard. Check before spawning next time and change class if necessary.
  • NLBartmaN
    4337 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Not happening. People are free to play any class and way they want because they paid for the game just like you did. Deal with it.

But why is there a Pilot/Tanker/Elite class limit then?
  • ElliotLH
    9023 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    Not happening. People are free to play any class and way they want because they paid for the game just like you did. Deal with it.

Might be because vehicles and elite classes are considered material assets to support your team whereas infantry is cannon-fodder?
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6061 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Because there has always been a limit to the amount of vehicles available per map in every bf game. For balance and experience purposes. And pilot/tanker aren't real classes more like an addition to the vehicle they operate.
    Infantry on the other hand is your basic way to play the game without any additional skill or knowledge. And don't even try to bring another "hurr but snipahs arr ruininz muh gaemz" thingy. It's been discussed here so many times I've lost count already. It's all about bad players not a specific class in any situation.
  • NLBartmaN
    For balance and experience purposes. People are free to play any class and way they want because they paid for the game just like you did

Too much Snipers (basically too much of EVERY class) cause issues to balancing and everyones experience ..

I paid for the game and want to be able to be pilot or tanker every time I want to be .. ?

I have played a lot of War FPS and the once with class limits had way better balance and were a lot more fun and there was lots more PTFO.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6061 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    For balance and experience purposes. People are free to play any class and way they want because they paid for the game just like you did

Too much Snipers (basically too much of EVERY class) cause issues to balancing and everyones experience ..

I paid for the game and want to be able to be pilot or tanker every time I want to be .. ?

I have played a lot of War FPS and the once with class limits had way better balance and were a lot more fun and there was lots more PTFO.

Reverse arguments aren't real arguments though. It's also has been discussed here many times and no, you can't force people to do things YOU want them to do. Others will always find a way to play the game THEY want. End of the story.
  • NLBartmaN

It's also has been discussed here many times and no, you can't force people to do things YOU want them to do. Others will always find a way to play the game THEY want. End of the story.

Apparently you CAN, since there ARE limits in the game .. like Vehicle and Elite kit limits ..
  • disposalist
    8768 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Actually I have to agree. Games would be much more balanced if all classes were limited just like tanks, planes, cavalry, elites, etc.
    ...And don't even try to bring another "hurr but snipahs arr ruininz muh gaemz" thingy. It's been discussed here so many times I've lost count already...
    Lol, but it's true. Snipers especially, but too much of anything is detrimental to the experience, not *as* serious as allowing too many tanks, planes, cavalry or elite, but the principle *does* apply.

As another example, I can't count the times I've been in a limited ticket situation and checked the scoreboard to find I'm the only medic. Or there's enemy tankers causing chaos and I'm the only assault.

I'd like to see something like a cap at 30% of the team. 25% might well be too restrictive.

Maybe it should also be different for different maps just like tanks, planes, etc.

No you can't stop bad players, but you can encourage good teamwork.

(and, yes, sniper should be an elite kit not something scouts do, but that's off-topic).
  • TEKNOCODE
    11559 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Reverse arguments aren't real arguments though. It's also has been discussed here many times and no, you can't force people to do things YOU want them to do. Others will always find a way to play the game THEY want. End of the story.
    Dice should implement a toggle for class limits...
  • disposalist
    8768 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    There are lots of things players are forced to play a way they wouldn't want.

There are many people who only go pilot, tank or cav and have to sit in the spawn screen waiting.

I don't see any reason why someone who wants to play the same infantry class no matter the situation shouldn't be restricted for balance reasons just like tankers, pilots or cavalry. In practice it would be *less* restrictive (or at least happen less often) but why not?
  • llPhantom_Limbll

It's also has been discussed here many times and no, you can't force people to do things YOU want them to do. Others will always find a way to play the game THEY want. End of the story.

Apparently you CAN, since there ARE limits in the game .. like Vehicle and Elite kit limits ..

Not an argument again because infantry =/= vehicle.

No you can't stop bad players, but you can encourage good teamwork.

(and, yes, sniper should be an elite kit not something scouts do, but that's off-topic).
    You can't encourage teamwork when the team is full of random people. That will never happen. Because those people have their own idea how they want to play the game. And most of them will never listen to you at all. I bet at least 50% of those don't even speak English.
    TEKNOCODE wrote: »

Dice should implement a toggle for class limits...

That solves literally everything.
  • GerocK-
    674 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Obsidiann6 wrote: »
    The argument about paying and doing whatever you want is pretty shallow to be honest. Of course there are rules to every game. If I want to fly an airplane I have to wait to get a slot. Same could be applied for ridiculous amounts of snipers on operation attackers etc.

Limiting classes isn't going to make the changes that people expect. Here's why:

#1. A hillhumping Scout is a useless player because he's either selfish, bad at the game or both. If he can't choose Scout due to limitations, he's going to be useless as a different class. He's probably going to choose a Medic with a scoped SLR and play exactly the same as when he plays Scout.
    The percentage of useless players won't change. It will just shift from useless Scouts to useless other classes.
    -
    #2. With class limitations the players who are actually good at a certain class get punished because others suck at it. Also, a limitation doesn't stop bad players from picking the limited class if they happen to be the first ones in the server.
  • disposalist
    edited August 2018
    It is, because balance is balance whether vehicle, infantry, elite or whatever and a balanced game is a better game.
    You can't encourage teamwork when the team is full of random people. That will never happen. Because those people have their own idea how they want to play the game. And most of them will never listen to you at all. I bet at least 50% of those don't even speak English.
    Of course you can. What are squad points for? Why do we play as a team at all and not just Battle Royale?

The whole game is set up as a team effort and things like ammo dropping and reviving and other interdependencies encourage team work.

It's obvious that working as a team is beneficial, but, no, I'm not suggesting it works *really well* or that the *majority* do it - a lot of people are inherently selfish and self-centered - but you do get it and people do see it works (when clans pub stomp, etc) and *would get it more* if DICE did more to encourage it.

Just because people don't do it much now is no reason to give up on trying to encourage it more or even force it.

Look at the friendly fire mechanic. Why is that off by default? Because there would be a ton of idiots killing their own team and not caring. So what do we do to encourage team work? We force it. DICE switch off friendly fire. Some would love it switched on, but it's detrimental to the game, so it's forced.

Why not class limits?
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    It is, because balance is balance whether vehicle, infantry, elite or whatever and a balanced game is a better game.
    Of course you can. What are squad points for? Why do we play as a team at all and not just Battle Royale?

The whole game is set up as a team effort and things like ammo dropping and reviving and other interdependencies encourage team work.

It's obvious that working as a team is beneficial, but, no, I'm not suggesting it works *really well* or that the *majority* do it - a lot of people are inherently selfish and self-centered - but you do get it and people do see it works (when clans pub stomp, etc) and *would get it more* if DICE did more to encourage it.

Just because people don't do it much now is no reason to give up on trying to encourage it more or even force it.

Look at the friendly fire mechanic. Why is that off by default? Because there would be a ton of idiots killing their own team and not caring. So what do we do to encourage team work? We force it. DICE switch off friendly fire. Some would love it switched on, but it's detrimental to the game, so it's forced.

Why not class limits?

Now tell me one thing. How many players play "as a team" on random server at any random time? I bet the amount will be around 30% or lower depending on those players. And suggested "limitations" won't magically turn those 70% into skilled and team oriented people. They will just give up and leave to find a better server.

It's the same story with weapon/gadget forced limits on custom servers in previous games when whiny badmins banned something not for sake of balancing but because they got killed but it a lot and felt uncomfortable. The same story continues in bf1. People are crying that snipers are useless and don't help while the same time the same people cry that snipers are killing them way too often. And the REEEEEing is endless while the arguments are contradicting each other. But who cares lmao? Let's bring the good ol' limitations but not because I'm upset but because gameplay. Makes no sense to me.
  • Rufusw5
    138 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The only class that I see really causing problems when there are too many is the scout class, because they don't tend to attack objectives, but this is only if they're all hill humping.

Great for helping the attacking force push or defend, not so good when there's little to no attacking force.

I love to play the objectives, and I choose the class that works best. It doesnt really depend on the map, it depends on the situation. If support is scarce I like to get in there with the pushers, slightly lagging or covering at times and keeping them in with ammo.

Medic is my favourite infantry assault class, theres a weapon for all ranges up to mid-deep, and reviving / healing team mates can really swing the battle with some good medics.

When there are tanks or dense infantry, the assault works best. The assault class only works well close quarters but the ribey pushes mid range with the bipod.

I switch to what's needed, it's more fun that way. I only ever play scout when spotting is needed. I don't really enjoy sniping, I prefer to be in the action. The infantry rifles are satisfying to use, and the spot flares in the middle of the action can sway the outcome of an encounter / capture point.

My point is, the class your team need depends on the situation, not what everyone else is playing. Usually a balance works best, but not in all cases.

A blob of medics reviving each other can be a force to be reckoned with.
  • WetFishDB
    2238 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Rufusw5 wrote: »
    The only class that I see really causing problems when there are too many is the scout class, because they don't tend to attack objectives, but this is only if they're all hill humping.

Great for helping the attacking force push or defend, not so good when there's little to no attacking force.

I love to play the objectives, and I choose the class that works best. It doesnt really depend on the map, it depends on the situation. If support is scarce I like to get in there with the pushers, slightly lagging or covering at times and keeping them in with ammo.

Medic is my favourite infantry assault class, theres a weapon for all ranges up to mid-deep, and reviving / healing team mates can really swing the battle with some good medics.

When there are tanks or dense infantry, the assault works best. The assault class only works well close quarters but the ribey pushes mid range with the bipod.

I switch to what's needed, it's more fun that way. I only ever play scout when spotting is needed. I don't really enjoy sniping, I prefer to be in the action. The infantry rifles are satisfying to use, and the spot flares in the middle of the action can sway the outcome of an encounter / capture point.

My point is, the class your team need depends on the situation, not what everyone else is playing. Usually a balance works best, but not in all cases.

A blob of medics reviving each other can be a force to be reckoned with.

Completely agree.

Personally I'm okay with them not having class limits, people can play the way they want to. If they pick something ineffective, so be it. I'll end up with them on my team as often as they'll be on the enemy team.
  • WetFishDB
    2238 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Why not class limits?

Whilst I agree that you can encourage team play, I personally think class limits would be bad. For example, preventing me from picking assault when my squad is cornered by a tank just because a bunch of noobriegel or shotgun wielders are elsewhere on the map feels a little overly restrictive. Similarly, if the enemy team isn't coming out of their spawn restricting the number of snipers feels like your forcing a whole bunch of people to be ineffective.
  • trip1ex
    5106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yep class limits should be explored. And I could very well see them implement some limits in the future. And the OP's alternative suggestion of showing how many are playing what class was done in BF42.
This discussion has been closed.