Bolt action rifles nerf is stupid

Comments

• To me the solution is simple. If the player is not prone or not resting the rifle on cover, then ADS sway and accuracy penalty should be increased significantly. Bring the rifles back to full power but make it significantly harder to aim while standing or on the move.
  • trip1ex
    5332 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2018
    To me the solution is simple. If the player is not prone or not resting the rifle on cover, then ADS sway and accuracy penalty should be increased significantly. Bring the rifles back to full power but make it significantly harder to aim while standing or on the move.

They did make them harder to aim. That's the point of the <15% drop in bullet velocity. You have to account for some bullet drop now. The longer the distance, the more the drop. So it will be harder to hit.

The damage is essentially the same as the 1st Alpha. And is still 2 hits to the body, 1 to the head.

• disposalist
    9008 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    trip1ex wrote: »
    To me the solution is simple. If the player is not prone or not resting the rifle on cover, then ADS sway and accuracy penalty should be increased significantly. Bring the rifles back to full power but make it significantly harder to aim while standing or on the move.
    That did make them harder to aim. That's the point of the <15% drop in bullet velocity. You have to account for some bullet drop now. The longer the distance, the more the drop. So it will be harder to hit.

The damage is essentially the same as the 1st Alpha. And is still 2 hits to the body, 1 to the head.
    But velocity is not just bullet drop, it's having to predict where the target will be. Having to read the future just because high velocity rounds are hard to balance is ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, I think snipers shouldn't be in the game at all :) But the floaty bullet nerf makes it ridiculous.
  • trip1ex
    5332 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    That did make them harder to aim. That's the point of the <15% drop in bullet velocity. You have to account for some bullet drop now. The longer the distance, the more the drop. So it will be harder to hit.

But velocity is not just bullet drop, it's having to predict where the target will be. Having to read the future just because high velocity rounds are hard to balance is ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, I think snipers shouldn't be in the game at all :) But the floaty bullet nerf makes it ridiculous.

lol. Some of you guys are drama queens. It's a <15% reduction in bullet velocity. You already had to predict the future for long distance shots. To say or imply you didn't is nonsense.

Here's the math.

It takes .25 seconds for a bullet at 600m/s to travel 150m.

It takes .214 seconds for a bullet at 700 m/s to travel 150m.

• trip1ex wrote: »

They did make them harder to aim. That's the point of the <15% drop in bullet velocity. You have to account for some bullet drop now. The longer the distance, the more the drop. So it will be harder to hit.

I understand that reducing bullet velocity makes it harder to aim. My opinion is that low bullet velocity ruins the feel and fun of the sniper class. My solution is to keep bullet velocity near BF1 levels and simply increase the difficulty in keeping aim steady if the player is not prone or resting the gun on cover while aiming down sights. Its not fun to shoot a sniper rifle that feels like its a paintball gun. Sniper classes should be designed in a way where they are rewarded for being prone or resting the weapon on an object and penalized for standing and being on the move.
  • trip1ex

I understand that reducing bullet velocity makes it harder to aim. My opinion is that low bullet velocity ruins the feel and fun of the sniper class. My solution is to keep bullet velocity near BF1 levels and simply increase the difficulty in keeping aim steady if the player is not prone or resting the gun on cover while aiming down sights. Its not fun to shoot a sniper rifle that feels like its a paintball gun. Sniper classes should be designed in a way where they are rewarded for being prone or resting the weapon on an object and penalized for standing and being on the move.

Yeah except it doesn't feel like a paintball gun. Still 1 shot kills to the head. 2 to the body. Feels great to get a headshot. Headshot hit box increased from BF1.
    Velocity nerfed less than 15% from 1st Alpha. Bullet takes ~36ms longer to travel 150m than before. Bullet drop at 150m is ~3.2 more inches than before.

And while I think increasing the difficulty in keeping aim steady definitely could work and has been done in the past, I think you'll find that you're going to see the same complaining. It isn't going to be as fun to use a sniper rifle either when your aim is swaying all over the place compared to when its not.
  • Sixclicks
    5075 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2018
    It's a 5.5" drop increase and 43 ms time increase at 150 meters when including drag with 600 m/s versus 700 m/s.

That difference grows to an 11.2" drop and 62 ms increase at 200 meters. And at 250 meters it's 20.5" and 82 ms.

Headshot hitbox is the same as BF4, but the rifles are substantially weaker than BF4 rifles. They're also weaker than BF3 rifles.

The last time rifles were this weak was BFBC2. Based on the K98 alone at least. I'm really hoping there are other much stronger rifles, but I'm doubtful there will be.
  • Hortey
    201 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Sniper rifles are slower projectiles, that's a nerf to be sure.

There were also sweeping reductions in spotting and suppression, the sniper's worst enemies. Also people are running around inside the 1hk to the chest health range with reductions in how many health kits medics can give out.

Sounds like snipers got a 15% nerf and a 300% buff to me.
  • Arkaelov
    102 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hortey wrote: »

There were also sweeping reductions in spotting and suppression, the sniper's worst enemies. Also people are running around inside the 1hk to the chest health range with reductions in how many health kits medics can give out.

Spotting is still just as bad with the new "look in direction, spot everyone" mechanic. And enemies are rarely that low on health, since you do have a portion you regen that usually gets you over 55 health.

That said, I think snipers are fine where they are now. I didn't play in the first alpha, only this one, and I'm doing work with the Kar98.
  • Sixclicks
    5075 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2018
    Hortey wrote: »

You can regenerate 48 health in the current build of the game without receiving healing from a medic over a few seconds. Spotting always helped me as a scout personally. It made it easier to find enemy targets, so I consider that a nerf. Not being thrown off by suppression is really the only benefit there. Although at the same time, you could easily suppress enemies as a sniper with one round to throw off their aim. So that's kind of both a nerf and buff.

As for other indirect nerfs to scouts, other classes now have perfect accuracy (no RBD) which was something exclusive to scouts in BF1. Which means the other classes are only limited by range regarding what they can see with the magnification of their weapon. It's not like BF1 where an assault player 60 meters away wasn't much of a threat.
  • trip1ex
    edited August 2018
    Sixclicks wrote: »
    It's a 5.5" drop increase and 43 ms time increase at 150 meters when including drag with 600 m/s versus 700 m/s.

That difference grows to an 11.2" drop and 62 ms increase at 200 meters. And at 250 meters it's 20.5" and 82 ms.

Headshot hitbox is the same as BF4, but the rifles are substantially weaker than BF4 rifles. They're also weaker than BF3 rifles.

The last time rifles were this weak was BFBC2. Based on the K98 alone at least. I'm really hoping there are other much stronger rifles, but I'm doubtful there will be.

Pt still applies if those numbers are correct. 5.5" and 43ms. Should be difficult to pull off 250m sniper shots in this game.

Headshot box is bigger than BF1. And ALL weapons are "substantially" weaker than BF4 weapons using your definition of substantially.

People loved sniper rifles in BFBC2. I sure did.

Sniper rifles are still 2 shots to the body. And 1 to the head.

• Arkaelov
    102 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Pt still applies if those numbers are correct. 5.5" and 43ms. Should be difficult to pull off 250m sniper shots in this game.

Headshot box is bigger than BF1. And ALL weapons are "substantially" weaker than BF4 weapons using your definition of substantially.

Just saying, in a past match I got a 95% damage headshot with the Kar98, sniping from objective C to D on conquest. I have the color for my headshot hit marker to be different than the kill and regular hit and I heard the headshot noise. So something a bit funky is going on with snipers. That said, that was one out of a hundred+ headshots today.
  • trip1ex
    Arkaelov wrote: »

Just saying, in a past match I got a 95% damage headshot with the Kar98, sniping from objective C to D on conquest. I have the color for my headshot hit marker to be different than the kill and regular hit and I heard the headshot noise. So something a bit funky is going on with snipers. That said, that was one out of a hundred+ headshots today.

So you're saying 99 out of your 100 headshots today were 1 shot kills?
  • Arkaelov
    Arkaelov wrote: »

So you're saying 99 out of your 100 headshots today were 1 shot kills?

Yes, literally all my headshots today with the Kar98 have been one shot kills except one at like 200ish yards against (I think) a support player. It confused the hell out of me, and I feel it shouldn't be possible. But it was such an outlier that I feel it's probably irrelevant. That said I still want to note it, cause if it can happen to me once in a few hours, it can happen to a lot of people over the course of a few hours, a few days, weeks, so forth.
  • Sixclicks

Yes. Substantially. As in 55 damage starting at 60 meters instead of 59 damage starting at 150 meters. Or 90 damage to 8 meters versus 100 damage to 12.5 meters. Or 2.7x the drop at 100 meters, 3.6x the drop at 200 meters, and 4.7x the drop at 300 meters. That's certainly substantial.
  • trip1ex

Yes. Substantially. As in 55 damage starting at 60 meters instead of 59 damage starting at 150 meters. Or 90 damage to 8 meters versus 100 damage to 12.5 meters. Or 2.7x the drop at 100 meters, 3.6x the drop at 200 meters, and 4.7x the drop at 300 meters. That's certainly substantial.

ALL weapons are "substantially" weaker than in BF4. And yet sniper rifles still 2 shots to the body. 1 to the head.

• Mystriall
    497 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

ALL weapons are "substantially" weaker than in BF4. And yet sniper rifles still 2 shots to the body. 1 to the head.

Agree. And i really don't get why people insist on comparing it to previous BF titles. This isn't supposed to be a new version of BF1, BF3, BF4 or any other BF title. it's supposed to be a game in its own right. I get using your experience with other games to evaluate it, and to come with suggestions. But i don't get why people want this game to be like any previous game. And suggestions like "it should be like in BF4" i find to be wrong, but that's just my opinion.

So i think it's a good thing that it's different. It doesn't matter that it's "weaker" than BF4 or any other game, because you are not going to be playing against BF4 in it. you are going to be playing BFV, so stop comparing every weapon to the same type weapons in other games, and compare the weapons to the actual balance of the weapons in this actual game. Which quite frankly i find to be pretty well balanced as of now in BFV. some minor tweaks needed but nothing major.
  • Sixclicks
    Mystriall wrote: »

Agree. And i really don't get why people insist on comparing it to previous BF titles. This isn't supposed to be a new version of BF1, BF3, BF4 or any other BF title. it's supposed to be a game in its own right. I get using your experience with other games to evaluate it, and to come with suggestions. But i don't get why people want this game to be like any previous game. And suggestions like "it should be like in BF4" i find to be wrong, but that's just my opinion.

So i think it's a good thing that it's different. It doesn't matter that it's "weaker" than BF4 or any other game, because you are not going to be playing against BF4 in it. you are going to be playing BFV, so stop comparing every weapon to the same type weapons in other games, and compare the weapons to the actual balance of the weapons in this actual game. Which quite frankly i find to be pretty well balanced as of now in BFV. some minor tweaks needed but nothing major.

Every other weapon is closer to BF4/BF3 performance while bolt actions are far from it. That's why I'm using them for comparison.

Compared to the balance of other weapons in this game, bolt actions still suck. Like I've said many times now, it's significantly easier to sit back and snipe with the G43 which isn't affected by glint, is a lot more spammable, is also strong in medium and close ranges, and as a medic you can heal yourself should an enemy sniper land a hit on you anyway.
  • CptMIFF
    141 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Sniper rifles shouldnt be as other rifles so its fine.
    The one shot + pistol is just bad anyway.
  • crabman169
    12849 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Mystriall wrote: »

Every other weapon is closer to BF4/BF3 performance while bolt actions are far from it. That's why I'm using them for comparison.

Compared to the balance of other weapons in this game, bolt actions still suck. Like I've said many times now, it's significantly easier to sit back and snipe with the G43 which isn't affected by glint, is a lot more spammable, is also strong in medium and close ranges, and as a medic you can heal yourself should an enemy sniper land a hit on you anyway.

You are never gonna get through to them

Oh by the way did you see the shotgun in the new trailer? If shotguns are assault only again or heaven forbid all class (or at least Multi class) it may rival out the bolt actions. I wouldn't be surprised if it's centerfire round alt fire is more potent then an actual class's primary weapon (and historically still the more used and issued weapons)