Fog / sandstorm settings

RRedux
657 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Is there some fog or sandstorm setting I don't know about? Can someone please tell me?

When there is heavy fog and sandstorm, I can't spot players or vehicles in fog even though I am actually close enough to see their outline. I assume this is because the fog/sandstorm have the same effect as smoke in that regard.

Also, when enemy players are a bit further away, I can't see them at all. Not any outline, no shadow no nothing. But frequently I find myself getting shot by enemy players inside the fog that is not visible, nor can be spotted. Which makes it reasonable to think that they can't spot me in the fog either, but apparently they can see me clear as day.

So, I am wondering, is there a setting people use that make the fog less thick or something? I genuinely don't get it. It's not because I just don't see enemy clearly far away in the fog, there is literally no visual indication of enemies at those distances.

Comments

• IG-Calibre
    978 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    aim for the hit markers
  • TheGM86
    745 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Nah it is just a terrible game mechanic that only effects your team sometimes.
  • Miles_Vappa
    260 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2018
    Yea. Fog/Sandstorm has multiple problems. There is simply a consistency of spotting problem - sometimes you can't spot people from 10 feet away, other times you can spot people from 100 feet away.

Another major problem is sandstorm/fog inconsistency across players - for instance - i played a whole game in a sandstorm in which nobody else had a sandstorm on their screen - glitches like these are obviously another major problem that many players wouldn't even realize - i certainly wouldn't have (because of how inconsistent the spotting mechanic is) unless my squad pointed it out.

You can see it here:
  • trip1ex
    4234 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    yep fog is horrible. Many reasons stated many times elsewhere. IN a nutshell, it makes the game less dynamic.

What fog does as far as spotting goes though is you can't spot guys in fog unless they are super close.

So someone could have spotted you from up close and then a sniper from 100+m away could see the red dorito above your head and shoot you through the fog.

Bugs and glitches and not having the same fog pattern on your screen compared to enemy's screen adds to the mess.
  • pwnedPewPew
    331 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    fog and sandstorms are totaly useless weather modifications...they are destroying the gameplay completely..i´m leaving the game when they appear..no need for more annoying trash
  • RRedux
    657 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yea. Fog/Sandstorm has multiple problems. There is simply a consistency of spotting problem - sometimes you can't spot people from 10 feet away, other times you can spot people from 100 feet away.

Another major problem is sandstorm/fog inconsistency across players - for instance - i played a whole game in a sandstorm in which nobody else had a sandstorm on their screen - glitches like these are obviously another major problem that many players wouldn't even realize - i certainly wouldn't have (because of how inconsistent the spotting mechanic is) unless my squad pointed it out.

You can see it here:

I heard about that years ago actually, in my naivete, I thought that since this was such an old issue, that surely they must've fixed that bug ages ago.

I didn't even consider that it wouldn't be fixed even though years have gone by.
  • Noodlesocks
    2080 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    fog and sandstorms are totaly useless weather modifications...they are destroying the gameplay completely..i´m leaving the game when they appear..no need for more annoying trash

I have to admit I've done the same. It's just a fun killer and I would not be sad if they were removed from the game. Rain is fine. Some dust kicking up is fine but full on fog and sandstorms are just boring to play.
  • ragnarok013
    2032 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited August 2018
    I guess I'm one of the few who love the fog and sandstorms. Whenever the sandstorm would blow in on Gulf Of Oman in BF4 I loved it, and the fact that it was only a portion of the match was better because it varied the gameplay and helped reduce the helicopter murder.
  • Miles_Vappa
    260 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    RRedux wrote: »

You can see it here:

I heard about that years ago actually, in my naivete, I thought that since this was such an old issue, that surely they must've fixed that bug ages ago.

I didn't even consider that it wouldn't be fixed even though years have gone by.

Yep, never fixed. That game was recorded back in July.
  • A_al_K_pacino_A
    218 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I don't mind a bit of weather but just played a game on Amiens and the fog was so thick I could hardly see my circle when picking my spawn point. Visibility was about 3 metres and the match really slowed.
  • Contra87
    698 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I’d like the weather, if it was the same for all players.
  • herodes87
    1149 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    What i noticed is that with scopes you can See way better with Scopes. Something that is totally rubbish.
  • theoldestsoldier
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I agree about the fog. It is ridiculous. Every battle ever fought through history has not come with blinding fog, but every game of BF1 that I play most certainly will. And there are levels of fog. Not all fogs are giant grey pools of blindness. It would be nice sometimes to have a light misty morning fog or patchy fog. I ramble. Fog bad.
  • bapman63
    935 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Is there some fog or sandstorm setting I don't know about? Can someone please tell me?

When there is heavy fog and sandstorm, I can't spot players or vehicles in fog even though I am actually close enough to see their outline. I assume this is because the fog/sandstorm have the same effect as smoke in that regard.

Also, when enemy players are a bit further away, I can't see them at all. Not any outline, no shadow no nothing. But frequently I find myself getting shot by enemy players inside the fog that is not visible, nor can be spotted. Which makes it reasonable to think that they can't spot me in the fog either, but apparently they can see me clear as day.

So, I am wondering, is there a setting people use that make the fog less thick or something? I genuinely don't get it. It's not because I just don't see enemy clearly far away in the fog, there is literally no visual indication of enemies at those distances.

This will really chap your backside, fog, sandstorms and rain are client based, so you could be in fog and the person shooting at you from across the map coild have clear skies.
  • RRedux
    I guess I'm one of the few who love the fog and sandstorms. Whenever the sandstorm would blow in on Gulf Of Oman in BF4 I loved it, and the fact that it was only a portion of the match was better because it varied the gameplay and helped reduce the helicopter murder.

Do you think the bug mentioned by Miles_Vappa mentioned will ever be fixed?
  • TamKingski
    1702 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Do you think the bug mentioned by Miles_Vappa mentioned will ever be fixed?

Since its been there since release and how dice have seemingly ignored the topic its safe to say no it wont be fixed,i would even go asfar as saying dice cant fix it or it would have been fixed long ago.
  • ashar_saleem121
    1206 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I hate fog/sand almost more than anything else in this game. It just makes the gameplay terrible. I've kind of gotten used to being able to see when I play games. Noob tactic I know.

The worst part is that it seems to happen every single game. Last night we had a game where it started at the beginning and lasted 16 minutes in conquest.

Add to that, that there is a glitch where sometimes only you have the effects and you have yourself a perfect game mechanic.

It's as if DICE thought, here are all these beautiful maps and top of the line graphics. Eff you here's some fog so you can't see any of it
  • crimsonbomber
    68 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Fog is by far the worst thing in this game.. I’m color blind so it’s tough enough for me a lot of the time to see enemies.. Having to play in fog makes it even that much more difficult.. I wouldn’t mind as much if it just lasted a minute or two, but it always lasts at least half the game.. I even have some games when it will last the entire round.. The other night I jumped on to play and I left the first game about half way through since the fog just wouldn’t go away.. Next server I joined, same thing.. Left and the next server was foggy too.. I wound up trying 9 or 10 different times and it was foggy in every single server.. My luck is amazing
  • robmcewen
    2883 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I did hear that there is a strange bug that courses the fog to disappear and be replaced by sunlight, bizarre.
  • m1k3ol
    803 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Moderator
    Fog is by far the worst thing in this game.. I’m color blind so it’s tough enough for me a lot of the time to see enemies.. Having to play in fog makes it even that much more difficult.. I wouldn’t mind as much if it just lasted a minute or two, but it always lasts at least half the game.. I even have some games when it will last the entire round.. The other night I jumped on to play and I left the first game about half way through since the fog just wouldn’t go away.. Next server I joined, same thing.. Left and the next server was foggy too.. I wound up trying 9 or 10 different times and it was foggy in every single server.. My luck is amazing

There's a ton of color-blind friendly options for the UI, you can literally set your own chosen colors now...

I suggest give it a go so you can play in a more comfortable way...