FPS Problems with Average PC

q1ffaayy
7 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Hello there, so Im having problems with this game since the first login, I just got the game today and im very disapointed.

PC Specs: 1050ti 4VRam; i7-7700HQ; 8GB Ram; 256GB SSD

When I try to play the game I notice that my cpu usage is at around 100% and the GPU usage is between 50%-60% or something.
I tried some cfg files, i tried to play around nvidia settings.
I do think it is because of my 8GB of ram that seem not enough, because when playing I saw in the task manager that my memory was constatly at 97% usage and I think it needs more.
The CPU shouldn't be the bottleneck since this is a wellknown combo laptops.

I tried both DX 11 and DX 12 but dind't help.
I think the temperature of the GPU and CPU are fine too.

Do I really need to upgrade for 16gb ram?

Please help me :(

Comments

• BigF33t_13
    6630 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited August 2018
    You shouldn't be using that much ram. Make sure you browser is not running in the background. That can eat a gb by itself. If you have a bloated install of windows, you'll need to get rid of offending programs or yeah, you'll need 16 gb of ram. Also the HQ version is a low wattage cpu. It might struggle a bit.

Also, some details as to what the issue is would help.
  • q1ffaayy
    I had anything opened.
    I watched a video of the same combo but with 16gb ram and it was running really well on it and since i just reinstalled windows 10 again I dont think I got any virus or ordinary softwares.
  • Rabiiiere
    18 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I had 8 Go with my new config since January (my old gtx970+ryzen 1600X) then I add 8Go to have 16 Go since Monday of this week and i saw the change directly.
    Before I had regular drops of fps while now it's much more stable and the game is more smooth.
    I didn't win FPS but the rare drops of FPS are no longer felt.

In task manager we can see that BF1 use sometimes +7Go of the RAM.

For BF1, it became essential to upgrade to 16Go now if you want a smooth game.
  • q1ffaayy
    Were u getting 90-100% usage cpu and 50-60% usage gpu before the upgrade?
  • Rabiiiere
    18 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    q1ffaayy wrote: »
    for CPU i have it (BF1 is cpu intensive but i have a CPU 6 cores/12 thread so not a problem for me) and much more for the GPU but i have some vidéo settings on ULTRA so it's normal for my gtx970.
  • q1ffaayy
    Rabiiiere wrote: »
    for CPU i have it (BF1 is cpu intensive but i have a CPU 6 cores/12 thread so not a problem for me) and much more for the GPU but i have some vidéo settings on ULTRA so it's normal for my gtx970.

Well, im obtaining a low usage on GPU, maybe a weird "bottleneck" because of the 8GB ram only?
  • Rabiiiere

Well, im obtaining a low usage on GPU, maybe a weird "bottleneck" because of the 8GB ram only?
    perhaps...your CPU can work more to do the job that your RAM doesn't making ? only an idea.
  • CSO7777
    1033 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Optimally the CPU runs below 100% and the GPU runs 100% (or close to 100%).

Your CPU is a laptop (so I reckon your PC is a laptop). This means low GHz (but it still has 8 threads though).

Your memory is probably running single channel, with is not good in this game. There are several posts on the forums about this.

You can check this with CPU-Z (find it with google and download it), on the 'Memory'-tab in 'Channel' you can check whether it says Dual or Single.

If it's running single-channeI, perhaps you can add another memory-module to your PC and make it dual-channel, that could make things better (but it costs money). But check this first if you can (again use google), if you buy more memory and it still runs single channel, it will not improve things (a little perhaps, but not much).
  • q1ffaayy

perhaps...your CPU can work more to do the job that your RAM doesn't making ? only an idea.

Yeah, but as I mentioned the cpu is almost always at 90-100% usage and I do think that the performance is because of the low GPU usage.
  • q1ffaayy
    CSO7777 wrote: »
    Optimally the CPU runs below 100% and the GPU runs 100% (or close to 100%).

Your CPU is a laptop (so I reckon your PC is a laptop). This means low GHz (but it still has 8 threads though).

Your memory is probably running single channel, with is not good in this game. There are several posts on the forums about this.

You can check this with CPU-Z (find it with google and download it), on the 'Memory'-tab in 'Channel' you can check whether it says Dual or Single.

If it's running single-channeI, perhaps you can add another memory-module to your PC and make it dual-channel, that could make things better (but it costs money). But check this first if you can (again use google), if you buy more memory and it still runs single channel, it will not improve things (a little perhaps, but not much).

Thanks for this response.
    Yeah im pretty sure it's something with the ram, after all the textures are taking quite long to load which is weird.
  • BigF33t_13
    6630 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited August 2018
    I've been using 8 gb since day one. If I exit everything out, I use 6.2 gb. If I leave chrome open, I'm instantly over 7 gb and starting to write to the page file. I'd look at the task manager on a fresh boot and see how much ram you are using. Also, it doesn't explain the 100% cpu usage and low gpu utilization. That's completely unrelated to system ram. The only issue you'll suffer from low ram is stuttering. To me that has to do with your low wattage cpu.
  • q1ffaayy
    BigF33t_13 wrote: »
    I've been using 8 gb since day one. If I exit everything out, I use 6.2 gb. If I leave chrome open, I'm instantly over 7 gb and starting to write to the page file. I'd look at the task manager on a fresh boot and see how much ram you are using. Also, it doesn't explain the 100% cpu usage and low gpu utilization. That's completely unrelated to system ram. The only issue you'll suffer from low ram is stuttering. To me that has to do with your low wattage cpu.

Are you using a laptop?
    Also this is because im on a single channel, I researched and seems like thats the problem. I just need 1 more 8gb stick, cuz the game reaches 8gb of ram usage that's the bottleneck right there.
  • BigF33t_13

Are you using a laptop?
    Also this is because im on a single channel, I researched and seems like thats the problem. I just need 1 more 8gb stick, cuz the game reaches 8gb of ram usage that's the bottleneck right there.

No. I would never game on a laptop. Your system should never reach the 8 gb threshold if you have a proper, lean install of Windows. But, dual channel ram is a necessity for this game.
  • q1ffaayy

Are you using a laptop?

No. I would never game on a laptop. Your system should never reach the 8 gb threshold if you have a proper, lean install of Windows. But, dual channel ram is a necessity for this game.

Yeah i got a laptop, after I search a bit seems that reaching this ram usage is "normap" with laptops in this game for some reason.

Im gonna buy 8gb more of ram anyway.
  • Bacardiiiiiiiiii
    93 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    The thing is not about RAM size, of course 16GB is good nowadays. It's RAM bandhwidht, with two RAM stick you enable Double Channel, your memory speed up!
    With one RAM stick you can't get this performance.
  • Ryluri
    26 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Hm I don´t know, before I upgraded to 16gb of ram I sometimes had drop into the 30´s with this game. Now I can run everyting on high-ultra with 60-100 fps on my rx 570. Only soissons sometimes drops to 48 fps on a 64 player server. The games uses around 7,5 gb of ram for me