To people complaining i don't push in the mortar landship

2»

Comments

• Phugazi
    120 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2018
    robmcewen wrote: »
    Sorry Gee_aai_ooo but I've been killed to many times by Leeroy Jenkins drivers to help man a randoms tank.

::Raises hand:: I've had to "Leeroy Jenkins" a tank a time or two because too many people were complaining that I was sitting back...only because I didn't have any gunners to keep us around long :(
  • pest174
    811 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Interesting. I'll start hopping into more tanks. I just wish there was a "stop" command, because some tankers just don't seem to understand it's nearly impossible to hit anything when the tank is jerking around.

When I tank with a buddy, it's great. He'll tell me where to move so he can get a clear line of sight. Or if I'm with ransoms, I'll stop at a flag and let em shoot away.
  • Forkbeard84
    1848 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2018
    I dont get into the side guns of any tank because the driver always faces the tank so I never have a clear shot at anything. All Im left doing is facing the side of a building. No thanks

Sounds like you dont realize the landship has two forward facing side cannons that can be rotated by the gunner a full ninty degrees. Try it sometime.

It sounds like you dont understand that when youre literally up against a wall, no amount of rotation will get you in a position in which you can actually hit something

And so you NEVER try getting into a landship because this might happen sometime? Doesn’t seem like much of a team play.

No I MOSTLY don't get into a blueberry landship because this ALWAYS happens. Tank drivers always prioritize their own line of sight over the gunners. In most tanks it's warranted since they are the heavy guns. In landships it's the opposite. A good landship driver needs to facilitate his gunners and that rarely happens

Well you've got limited experience to base your opinion on since you rarely get into landships to try the gunner position. It takes patience and you can do a ton of spotting to help the team from that position.
    Bring your repair tool too. Patience is key.

As a landship driver (tank hunter and squad support) I've experienced plenty of impatient gunners. Most people just use you for a spawn point and I'm glad to provide one. But its rare to get a couple of good gunners in there. Most gunners are really impatient and jump out as soon as you stop for a second to repair or take a look around. They wont stick with you even when you are doing well and pushing.

The gunners can really help the tank to push. A good gunner, has a repair tool, is constantly spotting, is constantly switching seats and is a good shot. The best gunners are on a headset with the driver. I'm finding good gunners as rare as you are finding good drivers. (But by your own admission you're not trying real hard to find good drivers.)
    Post edited by Forkbeard84 on
  • ashar_saleem121
    1391 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I dont get into the side guns of any tank because the driver always faces the tank so I never have a clear shot at anything. All Im left doing is facing the side of a building. No thanks

Sounds like you dont realize the landship has two forward facing side cannons that can be rotated by the gunner a full ninty degrees. Try it sometime.

It sounds like you dont understand that when youre literally up against a wall, no amount of rotation will get you in a position in which you can actually hit something

And so you NEVER try getting into a landship because this might happen sometime? Doesn’t seem like much of a team play.

No I MOSTLY don't get into a blueberry landship because this ALWAYS happens. Tank drivers always prioritize their own line of sight over the gunners. In most tanks it's warranted since they are the heavy guns. In landships it's the opposite. A good landship driver needs to facilitate his gunners and that rarely happens

Well you've got limited experience to base your opinion on since you rarely get into landships to try the gunner position. It takes patience and you can do a ton of spotting to help the team from that position.

As a landship driver (tank hunter and squad support) I've experienced plenty of impatient gunners. Most people just use you for a spawn point and I'm glad to provide one. But its rare to get a couple of good gunners in there. Most gunners are really impatient and jump out as soon as you stop for a second to repair or take a look around. They wont stick with you even when you are doing well and pushing.

The gunners can really help the tank to push. A good gunner, has a repair tool, is constantly spotting, is constantly switching seats and is a good shot. The best gunners are on a headset with the driver. I'm finding good gunners as rare as you are finding good drivers. (But by your own admission you're not trying real hard to find good drivers.)

Not anymore Im not no.

Also, like I said, on any other tank, you would be correct. Not on a landship. In the Heavy and St Chammond tanks, the driver takes priority. On a landship, the drivers job is to provide open lines of sight to his gunners. Not to try and face the enemy head on with his own little gun and let his gunners try and scramble to take out the one assault just out of reach on the side.
  • Kirk40k
    2363 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2018

On a landship, the drivers job is to provide open lines of sight to his gunners. Not to try and face the enemy head on with his own little gun and let his gunners try and scramble to take out the one assault just out of reach on the side.

This is how I roll in the Squad Support Landship. I roll up and try to line up each cannon facing the typical two objectives on Operations. Lay down some long reaching fire power from the front cannon on what ever I can reach. Drop out supplies to help out the team. I tend to stay back out of reach of foot enemies who love to toss a ton of anti-tank grenades.

When you’re riding with me I won’t be pushing hard on objectives, because it won’t hold up in close combat. But I’ll ensure you have a good line of sight and stable platform to engage the enemy with the side cannons though.
  • BFV_HPoor
    27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    You are truly useless to your team. Please do not ever get in a vehicle again - you lose the game for 31 players and ruin the server for 63.
  • Forkbeard84
    edited August 2018
    Kirk40k wrote: »

On a landship, the drivers job is to provide open lines of sight to his gunners. Not to try and face the enemy head on with his own little gun and let his gunners try and scramble to take out the one assault just out of reach on the side.

This is how I roll in the Squad Support Landship. I roll up and try to line up each cannon facing the typical two objectives on Operations. Lay down some long reaching fire power from the front cannon on what ever I can reach. Drop out supplies to help out the team. I tend to stay back out of reach of foot enemies who love to toss a ton of anti-tank grenades.

When you’re riding with me I won’t be pushing hard on objectives, because it won’t hold up in close combat. But I’ll ensure you have a good line of sight and stable platform to engage the enemy with the side cannons though.

Good description. I try to run my landship like this as well. And if you've got two good side gunners in there, it's amazing how much harder you can push. And you become a super tank if you've got someone who knows how to jump out on the opposite side of the threat and get low and repair you. With that going on its often possible to sit up close and keep firing while you take hit after hit and your repairman keeps repairing. It's got to freak the attacking assault and support players out as they dump grenade after grenade, and rocket after rocket and mortar after mortar into you and you never blow up but just calmly sit there and take them out one by one. Kind of like Clint Eastwood did using the iron plate under his poncho as a chest shield in A Fistfull of Dollars. :-)

The problem I have is that rarely do I get two side gunners who stick with me the whole time. They might stay while the battle is hot and heavy but as soon as there is a lull, they lose patience and jump out to do their own thing. So, I'm sometimes driving the thing all by my lonesome. Its doable to be alone driving the landship but you need to be more cautious about moving forward too quickly. The 20 mm autocannon can be used to good effect against both infantry and vehicles. And the for the tank hunter variant the Tankgewehr is a superior weapon against planes, tanks, cars and horses. Its capable of some real long distance accuracy. The Tankgewehr can also be used to snipe infantry and on up close infantry in a pinch. Of course the tankgewehr is no where near as good against infantry as the side cannons are.

I primarily play with randoms so my observations on gunners are based on that. I think a lot of players just don't have the patience to be a tank gunner. Its akin to being in the car and letting your wife drive. People want to drive themselves and don't want to sit there and go where you are going. Like I mentioned, a gunner might stay with you when there are plenty of targets for them to shoot but when you pull back to repair or move to another spot, they might end up looking at a wall or hillside for awhile or just boring scenery passing by. I often see them jumping out. They don't even want to wait for you to repair or give you a chance to look around before you drive to the next spot. Good tank gunners that will stick with you are very rare. I have a feeling that some of the better tank gunners have also spent a lot of time driving tanks so they know why you are pulling behind a building to repair or moving to another spot and they are less likely to bail on you.

And then you get people that say they won't ride in tanks because all tank drivers are bad. That's just not true. I know there are bad tank drivers but there are plenty of good tank drivers too. The problem is the good ones often have to drive alone and are thus less effective. I think the real reason people don't want to be tank gunners is because its boring to them and they'd rather be in control of their own movement and they really don't understand what it takes to drive a tank. But when you do get good side gunners in the landship it's a much more effective and powerful tool for the team.

• ashar_saleem121
    1391 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Good description. I try to run my landship like this as well. And if you've got two good side gunners in there, it's amazing how much harder you can push. And you become a super tank if you've got someone who knows how to jump out on the opposite side of the threat and get low and repair you. With that going on its often possible to sit up close and keep firing while you take hit after hit and your repairman keeps repairing. It's got to freak the attacking assault and support players out as they dump grenade after grenade, and rocket after rocket and mortar after mortar into you and you never blow up but just calmly sit there and take them out one by one. Kind of like Clint Eastwood did using the iron plate under his poncho as a chest shield in A Fistfull of Dollars. :-)

The problem I have is that rarely do I get two side gunners who stick with me the whole time. They might stay while the battle is hot and heavy but as soon as there is a lull, they lose patience and jump out to do their own thing. So, I'm sometimes driving the thing all by my lonesome. Its doable to be alone driving the landship but you need to be more cautious about moving forward too quickly. The 20 mm autocannon can be used to good effect against both infantry and vehicles. And the for the tank hunter variant the Tankgewehr is a superior weapon against planes, tanks, cars and horses. Its capable of some real long distance accuracy. The Tankgewehr can also be used to snipe infantry and on up close infantry in a pinch. Of course the tankgewehr is no where near as good against infantry as the side cannons are.

I primarily play with randoms so my observations on gunners are based on that. I think a lot of players just don't have the patience to be a tank gunner. Its akin to being in the car and letting your wife drive. People want to drive themselves and don't want to sit there and go where you are going. Like I mentioned, a gunner might stay with you when there are plenty of targets for them to shoot but when you pull back to repair or move to another spot, they might end up looking at a wall or hillside for awhile or just boring scenery passing by. I often see them jumping out. They don't even want to wait for you to repair or give you a chance to look around before you drive to the next spot. Good tank gunners that will stick with you are very rare. I have a feeling that some of the better tank gunners have also spent a lot of time driving tanks so they know why you are pulling behind a building to repair or moving to another spot and they are less likely to bail on you.

And then you get people that say they won't ride in tanks because all tank drivers are bad. That's just not true. I know there are bad tank drivers but there are plenty of good tank drivers too. The problem is the good ones often have to drive alone and are thus less effective. I think the real reason people don't want to be tank gunners is because its boring to them and they'd rather be in control of their own movement and they really don't understand what it takes to drive a tank. But when you do get good side gunners in the landship it's a much more effective and powerful tool for the team.

It's a catch 22. Ive seen too many selfish tank drivers to want to waste my time in the passenger seat and as a result good tankers cant find good gunners.
  • MBOmnis
    36 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Now I kinda wish I were in the same region as you guys because I'm always looking for landships to jump into and help. :p I'm in South America and I won't forgo my delicious 5ms (at least that's what the scoreboard shows) latency, though.
  • Kirk40k
    2363 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2018

I don’t have a whole lot of time with the Landship, but I did have a good run on Fao Fortress as the attacking team. We couldn’t push any further than the second second set of Objectives, but the Landship was laying down some serious hate and discontent from a distance. Each side gunner was blasting each respected objective they could see and I was laying down fire power with the front gun. It got to the point that it felt the entire team was focused on taking out the Landship. I was even taking small arms fire in an attempt to hurt it. I lost the Landship, by a tactic I haven’t seen since BF4, I was jet/prop plane rammed.
  • Forkbeard84

I don’t have a whole lot of time with the Landship, but I did have a good run on Fao Fortress as the attacking team. We couldn’t push any further than the second second set of Objectives, but the Landship was laying down some serious hate and discontent from a distance. Each side gunner was blasting each respected objective they could see and I was laying down fire power with the front gun. It got to the point that it felt the entire team was focused on taking out the Landship. I was even taking small arms fire in an attempt to hurt it. I lost the Landship, by a tactic I haven’t seen since BF4, I was jet/prop plane rammed.

Lol, yes I've had kamikaze planes ram me too. It's a low probability tactic for them as they will be destroyed and killed and they only do around 10 to 20 points of damage to the tank they are ramming. So if your health is good, the ramming plane cant kill you.
  • FrozenCamel
    369 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I like light mortar vehicle. I can destroy lots of targets even on Amiens. I'm not big fan of using a heavy tank. If i jump in i never have chance to shot at anything and its useless to me
  • KermitJ
    388 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Yes I feel your pain! Been this way since beta!

People you see me in a tank goin my squad and communicate! I could care less if you use nothing but comma rose commands. Just get on those side guns and help me. Prioritize tanks assaults and elites!
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    1545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2018
    Not the same, but yesterday I quit in diagust after I spent 2 matches playing with a team full of medics that didn't revive once. Literally not a single time did I see someone get revived or get revived myself. Obviously we lost because of all the wasted tickets.

People play how they want, but it really ruins the game sometimes.
  • Rogue-Mike
    296 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I dont use the mortar land ship much but I totally get what saying dude. To many times do I get abandoned cus I positioned the tank for a decent line a sight only to have them bail or waste ammo on everything but the enemy tank or something else in front of us. Any vehicle can be decent with a good driver and gunners.

I find it more annoying how everyone assumes suicide charges work when time and time again only results in a multi kill for some player.