Medic changes and question regarding weapons

Mattiewilde
3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
After seeing the Rotterdam gameplay battlefield 5 truly appears to becoming together however one recent change has me worried regarding the medic and there ownly optional weaponary in the build being SMG this in turn prevents medics from preforming effectively at range which in my opinion is a huge limitation on top of the nerf they face regarding global heals and everyone being able to revive this has drastically reduce the appeal of the class to me and will no doubt cause me to switch to an assault in bf5 unless the medic still maintains some form of range weaponary like semi automatic rifles . I was wondering what other people thought of this change ? If the medic should also have some medium to longer range weapons available? And if the changes make you want to play medic less ?

Comments

• bran1986
    5905 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    After seeing the Rotterdam gameplay battlefield 5 truly appears to becoming together however one recent change has me worried regarding the medic and there ownly optional weaponary in the build being SMG this in turn prevents medics from preforming effectively at range which in my opinion is a huge limitation on top of the nerf they face regarding global heals and everyone being able to revive this has drastically reduce the appeal of the class to me and will no doubt cause me to switch to an assault in bf5 unless the medic still maintains some form of range weaponary like semi automatic rifles . I was wondering what other people thought of this change ? If the medic should also have some medium to longer range weapons available? And if the changes make you want to play medic less ?

For the beta they are buffing the range capabilities for the smgs by extending their damage drop off ranges for 6btk and 7 btk. I think eventually they will give medics more weapon choices, I have suggested giving medics the M1A1 carbine :)
  • hawkseye17
    586 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I don't really like SMGs for medics. Medics aren't supposed to be the big killers; that is a job for things like support or assault. Medics should only have DMRs.
  • Mattiewilde
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

For the beta they are buffing the range capabilities for the smgs by extending their damage drop off ranges for 6btk and 7 btk. I think eventually they will give medics more weapon choices, I have suggested giving medics the M1A1 carbine :)[/quote] yeah that is good news but I still despise msg soo much I really hope they do give them semi auto rifles maybe have them available across all classes and have assault rifles exclusive to assault and smg exclusive to medic and have both classes able to use the semi auto

• bran1986
    5905 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    hawkseye17 wrote: »
    I don't really like SMGs for medics. Medics aren't supposed to be the big killers; that is a job for things like support or assault. Medics should only have DMRs.

SMGs are still the weakest killing class in cqb, minus bolt actions. The Suomi is the only medic weapon (so far) that beats the STG 44 and support weapons and even then it is hard to use past 15 meters.
  • Mattiewilde
    bran1986 wrote: »

SMGs are still the weakest killing class in cqb, minus bolt actions. The Suomi is the only medic weapon (so far) that beats the STG 44 and support weapons and even then it is hard to use past 15 meters.

This to me just gives me more reason not to play the class limited range and even in the weapons optimum range still can’t preform I just wish dice will hopefully give the medics the options of semi auto rifles just for player choice really and it gives people a bigger incentive to play the class which maybe important due to the buff the other classes are getting being able to revive and pick up med packs
  • Mystriall
    497 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I really don't get it, there are people that are proclaiming "their" class to now having become the weakest, no matter what class it is. I mean, we've seen it all now haven't we?

All classes have become the weakest, the worst, or the strongest for that matter.

-During the alpha #1 the assaults with their STG44 were OP.
    -Alpha #2 we got ppl saying medics with their MP40 where OP.
    -Gamescom we've suddenly got snipers with their semi-auto 2hk being OP, and hints that the support now also has OP weapons.

At Alpha some of the complaints were that SMG/LMG and AR could easily tapfire kill ppl at distance and that their reach was too long, now suddenly medics getting SMGs only make them weak/weakest of the classes, because they suddenly are not as easily managed at range as stated during the alpha?

I think people are worrying a little too much. Lets just wait and see.. Beta is just around the corner, get a feel for it, if you're still worried, then prey the devs might listen to some of your/others feedback :)

I'm not worried at all, not matter the outcome. I'll be playing all classes, but likely support for the most part, not because of its weapons though, i like the extra fortification stuff. And that's regardless of how "weak" the weapons might turn out to be/become. Any weapon is strong in my hands >:)B)
  • FELT-Z___BRANN
    88 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I main medic and at first I did not like the change but smgs do suit the role. Medics should be on the fronlines helping the team. This is why the 1907 sweeper and avtomat were so popular in BF1.

Still have to test out the beta before I come to a final conclusion.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6197 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Let's be honest here, many people complained that in bf1 medics are forced to keep the distance because of midrange SLRs. And I think it's a good change overall to provide medics with close range SMGs. It's another question if SMGs are going to be viable comparing to ARs and LMGs. Beta will definitely provide us with such info.
  • Foot_Guard_Tomei
    438 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

SMG is meant to be self-defense/light assault weapon. SMGs in past games (BF3, 4, Hardline) were on better place than in Battlefield 1 as a replacement for assault rifle tier. Imo having a marksman tier weapon for a class meant to operate in frontlines with unlimited healing power doesn't sound right. Reminds me of BC2 LMG medics — counter-intuitive to a purpose of class.
  • Mattiewilde
    I main medic and at first I did not like the change but smgs do suit the role. Medics should be on the fronlines helping the team. This is why the 1907 sweeper and avtomat were so popular in BF1.

Still have to test out the beta before I come to a final conclusion.

Yeah I agree in that the change makes sense I just hope they give the medic some sort of range weapons to allow us to us the class in different ways I’m not bothered if the SMG are op or underpowered I just hope we have some other alternatives like the bf4 engineers have with carbines and dmrs

• Mr_Wookloaf
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

What? SMGs are much more logical for medic than a DMR, you want your squad designated marksman using the DMR taking our baddies at distance not your medic who should be taking care of the wounded. A DMR on a medic is almost as illogical as Bad Company 2's Medic using the LMG.

Yeah, I agree. When you go sprinting up to a teammate that needs a revive, there's a pretty good chance that a enemy needs to be cleared out before you revive your buddy. I think that a SMG and possibly shotguns would seem like the logical choice of someone who could expect to meet a baddie up close.

• Foot_Guard_Tomei
    438 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

What? SMGs are much more logical for medic than a DMR, you want your squad designated marksman using the DMR taking our baddies at distance not your medic who should be taking care of the wounded. A DMR on a medic is almost as illogical as Bad Company 2's Medic using the LMG.

I would assign SLRs for Grenadier/Infantry/Assault (~standard soldier class of era, in modern day shooter for marksman). I think current assault is too capable of dealing with both infantry and vehicles at range. That will be issue mentioned in post launch threads. I would leave anti-tank with SMGs and shotguns for close range engagements and self-defense.

I have been generally against four soldier classes since there's always been too much power in some of the classes in that system. Adding even fifth or preferably sixth one would help with issues. Too much is however too much.
  • bran1986
    edited September 2018
    Let's be honest here, many people complained that in bf1 medics are forced to keep the distance because of midrange SLRs. And I think it's a good change overall to provide medics with close range SMGs. It's another question if SMGs are going to be viable comparing to ARs and LMGs. Beta will definitely provide us with such info.

I think giving smgs to medics makes sense, the problem for me was how they would compete with the other classes, especially the assault class with the STG 44. To me the smg should have some mid range capability, it should be the worst at that range but still effective with proper aim and recoil control. I think the beta patch notes went a long way towards just that by extending the 6 btk range and 7 btk range significantly. There is no reason to be doing 13 damage at 40 meters like in alpha 2. I also think they should give the M1a1 carbine to medics as well.
  • Foot_Guard_Tomei
    edited September 2018
    bran1986 wrote: »

I think giving smgs to medics makes sense, the problem for me was how they would compete with the other classes, especially the assault class with the STG 44. To me the smg should have some mid range capability, it should be the worst at that range but still effective with proper aim and recoil control. I think the beta patch notes went a long way towards just that by extending the 6 btk range and 7 btk range significantly. There is no reason to be doing 13 damage at 40 meters like in alpha 2. I also think they should give the M1a1 carbine to medics as well.

If this would be a modern day shooter, medics should carry a carbine. Anti-tank and vehicle operators should be weaker on firepower than medic. Assault and support better but both lacks healing power of medics and therefore relies on them when out of health and assault especially when trying to push on objectives as intended.

Is there enough "carbine" class weapons (carbine in sense of being watered down SLRs) used during WWII to make own weapon class arsenal for a medic? One way could be differentiate compact SMGs from long barrel ones and give former for AT and latter for medic.
    Post edited by Foot_Guard_Tomei on
  • KitCatChunky
    83 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    I`m going to play the class that offers single shot weapons (not scouts/recon type of sniper units). I liked to play medics so much in bf1 lately. Especially the 2 body shot kill rifle with 5 ammo in magazine. I reached k/d ratio way above my average. Like 1.6-1.8 k/d ratio on average. If i must switch to assault for this type of gameplay to acces this type of weapon i will. Guess this will give me other options which is fine. mobile healing did seem sweet to use on yourself and teammates do. But i get back more options to deal with vehicles. Maybe some weapons without scopes would be available as well as recon and use the beacon device like on bf3
  • plliadidas
    124 postsMember Member
    I was dissapointed for like a minute til I remembered that means medics get the Thompson and ppsh!
  • Zviko0
    1718 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    plliadidas wrote: »
    I was dissapointed for like a minute til I remembered that means medics get the Thompson and ppsh!

I don't think so. Thompson was Assaults's weapon even though it's SMG. Or it won't even be locked to one class.
  • DeadlyDanDaMan
    615 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 2018
    Zviko0 wrote: »

I don't think so. Thompson was Assaults's weapon even though it's SMG. Or it won't even be locked to one class.

Keyword in your sentence is WAS. Thompson and PPSH are SMG's, ergo they go to the Medics now. Deal with it. There will not be ANY cross class weapons in BF5.
  • Zviko0
    1718 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Zviko0 wrote: »

Keyword in your sentence is WAS. Thompson and PPSH are SMG's, ergo they go to the Medics now. Deal with it. There will not be ANY cross class weapons in BF5.

What's with the attiutude? Did I upset you with something? Jeez...

I'm just wondering, all these SMGs that were actually assault weapons are now Medic's weapons... Won't there be a lack of assault weapons? I mean, what does American faction get for Assault class then? BAR?