Old school players impressions of BFV beta

BURGERKRIEG
1065 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited September 2018
Overall it’s solid. Infantry gameplay wise.

Explosive spam is gone.

ADAD spam is gone.

Weapons handle more like old bf weapons, they are difficult to master, that’s where the skill comes in of course. You can’t just pick it up and start being good. You have to earn it. Accuracy is now rewarded, as it should be.

Fast TTK is fine but I’m sure we’ll see a tweaks to it to get the balance right. I like how it’s possible to do a single handed squad wipe if you are good/lucky enough now.

Spotting going bye bye is pretty much like playing hardcore mode from previous games so it’s not a big deal adjusting.

Going Rambo lone wolf just got me killed.

The running around like headless chickens just soaking up bullets like Wolverine has been curtailed.

I noticed that squad play or just plain team play, is now essential.

Seems they have created the new health and ammo system to steer players towards sticking to team mates and more importantly swapping meds, ammo and reviving etc this is now a core feature of winning. That’s cool, it’s battlefield after all. That’s one of the pillars it was all built on.

Not bad so far.

I think I might be back onboard.

That’s MIGHT, I’m not sold yet it’s still early days.

Post edited by BURGERKRIEG on

Comments

• xXCA_RageXx
    1038 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018

Explosive spam is gone.

ADAD spam is gone.

Weapons handle more like old bf weapons, they are difficult to master, that’s where the skill comes in of course. You can’t just pick it up and start being good. You have to earn it. Accuracy is now rewarded, as it should be.

Fast TTK is fine but I’m sure we’ll see a tweaks to it to get the balance right. I like how it’s possible to do a single handed squad wipe if you are good/lucky enough now.

Spotting going bye bye is pretty much like playing hardcore mode from previous games so it’s not a big deal adjusting.

The running around like headless chickens just soaking up bullets like Wolverine has been curtailed.

Seems they have created the new health and ammo system to steer players towards sticking to team mates and more importantly swapping meds, ammo and reviving etc this is now a core feature of winning. That’s cool, it’s battlefield after all. That’s one of the pillars it was all built on.

Not bad so far.

I am pleasantly surprised personally. I like the pace alot more, less blindly running into choke points with the endless barrage of explosives. Medics and squad mates actually have to think about revives instead of running around with a needle and getting people up instantly. I absolutely love getting a good sniper kill and using the person as bait. I am a mix between a squad player when I play with my friends and rambo when I'm not. I find myself sticking with my squad alot more than I used to and utilizing the squad revive as much as possible without getting myself killed. I could go rambo but I had to think about my movement and routes alot more due to the ammo and health constraints, which made it all the more regarding when I was successful I could care less about the opinions of people who cant get past the PC pandering to see that the gameplay is actually quite refreshing. It feels alot more like BF2 where good squads had alot more impact on the outcome of a game. Sniping could use a little love tap but I actually like where they are for the most part, this coming from one of those aholes that laser killed everyone with the bf1 sniping. It feels like a good mix of bf1 and bf4 sniping. Havent tried the support class yest, I do feel the SMGs are bit overwhelming and giving them the smgs is the only design choice im not sure about. I personally think alot of the pushback beyond the PC stuff has to do with them making things a bit more tactical and emphasizing teamplay that battlefield has kind of steered away from over the years.
  • BetaFief
    655 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I'm somewhat in agreement, but think the game would be far better if it had more faction-specific weapons and gadgets. Maybe with "lend lease" or "neutral" stuff filling gaps where need be.
    It would encourage DICE to maintain a better balance between weapons, (or at least make OP/meta-favorite-weapons that much more obvious for weapon-balancing), and give/grant factions a greater amount of atmosphere/flavor to boot..

(the biggest problem I've seen people have with this idea is that they instantly dismiss it as "that'll never happen", which is kind of self-reinforcing)

• Noodlesocks
    3693 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    A lot of good ideas that need a lot of work.

Really enjoying the lack of 3D spotting. I feel this is going to be the biggest changer when it comes to gameplay. Already seeing a lot of squads running together because soloing seems to be a bit more difficult. I get more of a Hardcore/BF1942 vibe playing this.

Weapon balance could do with some work.

Vehicle gameplay is pretty bad just now. Aircraft in particular feel like flying cows.

Progression/upgrade system is bad.
  • l_water_l
    1545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I agree with a lot of it. I like the limited ammo and new health regen system. It's the convoluted/buggy UI, the bugs, and the very poor sound design (compared to bf1) that is making me weary.
  • Lehnz
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Limited ammo is a nice new comeback.

But why do we have to spawn in vehicles, tanks, planes. etc. why dont they make a huge base, like there used to be in the old Battlefield games, where you simply had to spawn first, then jump into a plane or a tank, this annoys me...

I also find the maps too small, the maps might look big, but you can only move around on 20-30 % of the map, which makes it difficult to flank and use other tactics. so far im not impressed.
  • WunderKatze
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ADAD spam is not gone. I use it regularly and it works great.

Part of the problem is the huge first person muzzle flashes make it hard to stay on target.
  • BURGERKRIEG
    1065 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Most BF launch games never mind the betas have been rancid with bugs.

It can be hard to see past them, and also hard to see past the current weapon and TTK balance.

Those things will change of course. They always do.

The core game and the decision to deliver of a more competitive experience is clear.

I’m not 100% sure about it yet.. but I kept coming back to play it today.

• Tuinator
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I would like it a lot more if I could even join a match
  • Metal_Jockets
    247 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Totally agree with the OP...In my opinion they need to do a bit more on weapon balancing, clearly there are a few very overpowered weapons that need to be toned down and be more reliant by the skill of the user as appose to the weapon itself...sure it's easier said than done, but if they can manage do to that they will be well on the way .

• BURGERKRIEG
    edited September 2018
    ADAD spam is not gone. I use it regularly and it works great.

Part of the problem is the huge first person muzzle flashes make it hard to stay on target.

Lol.

Of course I strafe left and right to make myself a harder target, that’s just FPS tactics.

It’s the lateral acceleration that’s been lessened from the version that was in launch BF1, which was taken straight from SWBF.

I didn’t mind it in SWBF as it was a game for non FPS players too, but I was surprised to see it in BF1.

Still, it’s sorted now.

The muzzle flash might be necessary now as they’ve done away with spotting. Maybe that’s why it’s so big?

• bmillsy513
    198 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm still trying to get used to seeing asian chicks out there, elt alone the gameplay :hushed:
  • ITS_BOB_GNARLY
    2190 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Explosive spam is gone.

ADAD spam is gone.

Not bad so far.

As an old BF1942 player, I agree with every point sir. I like this new direction and will get some solid playtime out of this title.
  • BURGERKRIEG
    As someone who has played since the release of 1942, I detest this version. I hated BF1 and thought it the low of the low. This is not much better, to me it's just a re-skin of 1 with modified game play. I hate it. The game still plays at 1 million miles an hour, characters can run 100m in 2 seconds and the maps are pathetically small - as mentioned above, they look big but it's mostly cosmetic.
    In BF2 for example, the maps were huge and allowed you to go off in a variety of directions. In this, you are still funneled through a small middle area. It' a joke now in comparison.

Squad functions are a mess now, there might as well not be classes now as you can basically do much of it in any class - medics for example are now just a walking defib as everyone can self heal - but never mind, I can chuck you ammo to make up for it.
    I used to love having to team up with friends/randoms where each of you had a role and you really needed to work together to take a base / destroy vehicles. It's a total joke now compared to that.

I could rant and rave for ages, but I will save you all from that tedium. I may well be looking through rose tinted glasses, but to say this is a return to form is like saying you've won the lottery when all you got was £10

Maybe the glasses are a little rose tinted but those old games where great, especially for their time.

Battlefield of the early 2000’s is gone for good. It has been scaled back and it’s simpler than it used to be for a reason.

It’s no longer a PC title primarily as it was then. It’s a console focused game.

It’s the way things are now, it’s been formed by the economics of the current games industry and is skewed to console gamers tastes.

I’m not saying BFV is just like BF4 and it’s predecessors. That’s not possible anymore. I (grudgingly) accepted that fact.

But it’s not all bad, console games can be good too.

BFV employs an similar approach to the gunplay of those older titles and is more team focused, however it is built on the bones of BF1, certainly in terms of it’s paired down formula.

I’m sorry mate. I feel your pain but I still think there’s enough of the old spirit of Battlefield alive in BFV to offer a decent game for the old school faction that still play today.

• BetaFief
    655 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    As someone who has played since the release of 1942, I detest this version. I hated BF1 and thought it the low of the low. This is not much better, to me it's just a re-skin of 1 with modified game play. I hate it. The game still plays at 1 million miles an hour, characters can run 100m in 2 seconds and the maps are pathetically small - as mentioned above, they look big but it's mostly cosmetic.
    In BF2 for example, the maps were huge and allowed you to go off in a variety of directions. In this, you are still funneled through a small middle area. It' a joke now in comparison.

Squad functions are a mess now, there might as well not be classes now as you can basically do much of it in any class - medics for example are now just a walking defib as everyone can self heal - but never mind, I can chuck you ammo to make up for it.
    I used to love having to team up with friends/randoms where each of you had a role and you really needed to work together to take a base / destroy vehicles. It's a total joke now compared to that.

I could rant and rave for ages, but I will save you all from that tedium. I may well be looking through rose tinted glasses, but to say this is a return to form is like saying you've won the lottery when all you got was £10

Maybe the glasses are a little rose tinted but those old games where great, especially for their time.

Battlefield of the early 2000’s is gone for good. It has been scaled back and it’s simpler than it used to be for a reason.

It’s no longer a PC title primarily as it was then. It’s a console focused game.

It’s the way things are now, it’s been formed by the economics of the current games industry and is skewed to console gamers tastes.

I’m not saying BFV is just like BF4 and it’s predecessors. That’s not possible anymore. I (grudgingly) accepted that fact.

But it’s not all bad, console games can be good too.

BFV employs an similar approach to the gunplay of those older titles and is more team focused, however it is built on the bones of BF1, certainly in terms of it’s paired down formula.

I’m sorry mate. I feel your pain but I still think there’s enough of the old spirit of Battlefield alive in BFV to offer a decent game for the old school faction that still play today.

I'm convinced part of the problem is that almost everyone is convinced that "there's nothing they can do about it", and offer that as a reason for something to not be done.

the CoD games funny enough have a slightly better track record towards PC gamers than Battlefield has in recent years.. there was a token (if a bit late) effort to give BlOps 3 standalone servers and mod support by it's developers.

rumors exist that the next COD will have some kind of integration with Blizzard's Battle.net which could possibly mean it would have support for things like mods.
  • smokintom214
    1794 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Explosive spam is gone.

ADAD spam is gone.

Not bad so far.

Exactly, this is Battlefield. All these new blueberries playing BF for the first time starting with BF1 don't know what it was like with the other games way back in the day
  • WunderKatze
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    The muzzle flash might be necessary now as they’ve done away with spotting. Maybe that’s why it’s so big?

You misunderstand. The only issue with the flash is how it obscures the iron sights in first person.

I only think it needs to be toned down in first person (like only for your gun that is in first person, not other players).
  • RYZAkddd
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Just wandering, what is your favourite Battlefield?

From what the 5 hours I've played i'm kinda liking it.
    You get the same squad feeling if your actually pushing for it in the game. Whenever I've joined a game I'm always looking to be squad leader.. I then push for the objective with squad orders. i'd say 90% of the time the whole squad follows. I've been searching for games solo btw.
    The squad aspect is still there in this game. I think they'll always be those players who don't play the objective with a game this big now.

Am i right in saying you can only revive squad members if your not a medic class? From playing the game i haven't seen that as a problem.
  • PetroPupsLv83
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I have also been playing Battlefield since BF1942, including the SW Battlefronts. And the best Battlefield yet is BF1. Unfortunately BFV did not feel like a reskin of BF1, nor an improvement. It felt more like BF Hardline. Sadly, I just downloaded BFV beta, and for the first time, could not even bring myself to complete the round. It was that disappointing. Like Hardline, it felt 'klunky'. I have been so happy with BF1, and thus BFV was the first time I pre-ordered. I hope BFV gets better by the release date, and my pre-order was not a waste of money.
  • UsainskiSemperFi
    563 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BFV is outstanding! I like it cuz there is almost no spotting, the pase is slower and this is cool. Especially i like tanks! Prolly i am gonna buy BFV but i hope performance in the game will be improved .