Some Horsing thoughts

Hawxxeye
6332 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
I am wondering why do the horses have such a long respawn time when they are so much more vulnerable than vehicles?

Comments

• DonSharkito
    797 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think it is the same respawn timer as other vehicles (tanks, planes). I might be wrong but I haven't noticed any differences.

On top of that it is not a very popular vehicle, so I usually don't have any problems to spawn one.
  • Hawxxeye
    6332 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I think it is the same respawn timer as other vehicles (tanks, planes). I might be wrong but I haven't noticed any differences.

On top of that it is not a very popular vehicle, so I usually don't have any problems to spawn one.

I just feel that the LMG "snipers" do insane damage to the poor horsie :(
  • CS-2107
    1554 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »

Yes they do. Also when they are proning they are very hard to hit, as riding over someone is still a bit buggy
  • Hawxxeye
    CS-2107 wrote: »

Yes they do. Also when they are proning they are very hard to hit, as riding over someone is still a bit buggy

Well I find that it is more effective to keep some distance and to 2-shot soldiers with the rifle (on horseback ofc) as well as to lob grenades to them, I find the melee and trample too unreliable. This way the horse can be sort of used like a 4 legged tank that can take damage from small arms fire.
  • Puckerbucket
    694 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    CS-2107 wrote: »

They changed the trample mechanic some time ago. It used to be that trampling lengthwise down the enemy's body (from head to toe) rather than crosswise was most consistent. Now it doesn't matter which direction you're going: just HIT the HEAD.
    As for LMG's, they can definitely melt a horse, but you have to train yourself to identify where they are in your vicinity, use the terrain to shield yourself from their line of fire, and try to circle around and flank them. As for prone LMGs (or assaults with rocket guns), equipping yourself with the lance is your best bet. The timing is a bit different than the sword and you have to learn to strike a half-second early. But having the lance equipped also gives you the ability to initiate the impale charge, which is basically a bayonet charge for the horse. When I see a prone support or rocket assault looking at me, I trigger the lance charge and the speed boost to the horse is usually such that I can trample them before they can launch their rocket or fire enough bullets to bring me down.
  • DonSharkito
    797 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Prone support is to me one of the easiest targets along scout players -> HS in the head with the rifle.

If you play with the lance, it is a bit more tricky as the best strategy depending on the distance is most of the time to evade / take cover and reengage from a better angle / position.
  • KriZ_Rul3Z
    296 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'm horrible with the rifle on cavalry, but boy that lance sure is fun. :smiley: Regarding spawn times: I wouldn't mind them being shorter, but then again almost no one picks cavalry, and for me it's more something to change things up a bit when I see a horse available.
  • Hawxxeye
    KriZ_Rul3Z wrote: »
    I'm horrible with the rifle on cavalry, but boy that lance sure is fun. :smiley: Regarding spawn times: I wouldn't mind them being shorter, but then again almost no one picks cavalry, and for me it's more something to change things up a bit when I see a horse available.

Well I am going the 1917 maps conquest mode these days and decided to both have horsey fun and to maybe get the class to 10 in possible.
    I find myself often with no available horses to use after the inevitable LMG bullet hose gets me (thankfully none of the snipers tried using K bullets on me). I wonder, have they completely removed any bonuses the cavalry soldier has on foot?
  • abc1434286920
    447 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    By far the biggest threat is assault rocket gun as there is no warning.
    I would say a prone assault is a priority target (or threat) above prone supports.
  • Hawxxeye
    By far the biggest threat is assault rocket gun as there is no warning.
    I would say a prone assault is a priority target (or threat) above prone supports.

Thankfully a prone assault is a free headshot
  • diagoro
    1559 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Been trying to max cavalry, nothing more satisfying than killing another rider with the sword.

Anyone else think the horse is wonkier to control lately. I'm getting stuck more often, and many times going up a steep hill results in the frozen jump animation.
  • abc1434286920
    diagoro wrote: »
    Been trying to max cavalry, nothing more satisfying than killing another rider with the sword.

Anyone else think the horse is wonkier to control lately. I'm getting stuck more often, and many times going up a steep hill results in the frozen jump animation.

I'd suggest you try out the lance instead, I find it extremely more reliable than the sword, especially against other riders. Just gotta press the button a tad bit earlier.
    Haven't noticed any increased wonkiness lately.
  • Puckerbucket
    694 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I reached level 50 cavalry over a year ago, and currently ranked in the top 15 worldwide on xbox platform. Used to participate in a lot of cavalry discussions here, though the topic's been cold for a while. So I'll chime in again.
    With regard to Hawxxeye's question above, yes. There is no longer any armor benefit to a dismounted cavalry rider. Which is as it should be. The first rule of cavalry is NEVER get off your horse, except to provide a spawn point for squad mates who've already been made aware of your intention. Otherwise, you go down with your horse.
    Also, if you manage to board an empty horse, you receive the mounted cavalry armor benefit. Which is why "a stolen horse is the best kind of horse." A medic on a horse can still jump off and revive, and an assault on a horse can still jump off and lay AT mines in the path of that oncoming tank.
    Also, take it from a veteran: there is NO reason to choose a sword over a lance at this point. ZERO. The lance has more range, more reliability and a larger hit box. And the importance of Impale Charge can NOT be overstated. It effectively doubles the speed of the horse. You don't just use it to charge an enemy. You use it for a lot of the situations discussed here: trampling the guy who already has his rocket gun out before he can fire it, a speed burst to escape multiple LMGs firing at you, or just some extra speed getting to the next objective. There is a cool-down period between charges, but unlike a bayonet charge, there is no speed reduction after the charge, so there's no reason not to use it as much as possible.
    Lastly, this:
  • Forkbeard84
    1618 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I reached level 50 cavalry over a year ago, and currently ranked in the top 15 worldwide on xbox platform. Used to participate in a lot of cavalry discussions here, though the topic's been cold for a while. So I'll chime in again.
    With regard to Hawxxeye's question above, yes. There is no longer any armor benefit to a dismounted cavalry rider. Which is as it should be. The first rule of cavalry is NEVER get off your horse, except to provide a spawn point for squad mates who've already been made aware of your intention. Otherwise, you go down with your horse.
    Also, if you manage to board an empty horse, you receive the mounted cavalry armor benefit. Which is why "a stolen horse is the best kind of horse." A medic on a horse can still jump off and revive, and an assault on a horse can still jump off and lay AT mines in the path of that oncoming tank.
    Also, take it from a veteran: there is NO reason to choose a sword over a lance at this point. ZERO. The lance has more range, more reliability and a larger hit box. And the importance of Impale Charge can NOT be overstated. It effectively doubles the speed of the horse. You don't just use it to charge an enemy. You use it for a lot of the situations discussed here: trampling the guy who already has his rocket gun out before he can fire it, a speed burst to escape multiple LMGs firing at you, or just some extra speed getting to the next objective. There is a cool-down period between charges, but unlike a bayonet charge, there is no speed reduction after the charge, so there's no reason not to use it as much as possible.
    Lastly, this:

Hey Puckerbucket. Good to see you still playing the horse and doing so well. Also thats some real nice lance and grenade work in the video. Hell of a shot taking out that plane (while he’s behind you no less) with a grenade.

I’m still playing the horse and love it more than ever, especially since they made dropping health immediately start healing both you and the horse. We’ve got some serious durability now.

Sadly I’m behind the times. The swords been nerfed into the ground but I still could not give it up. I tried mind you. I put a service star on the lance and just could never quite get the timing right. Also it seemed to me there is a dead spot between the trample range and the lance range so that if an enemy could be inside of the lance. but outside of the trample I would miss him with both. The sword with its short range overlaps better with the trample effect so if you miss with the sword you often get them with the trample. I actually get more trample kills these days playing this way. Lastly I seem to do better dueling other riders when I use the sword. I’m still no lance expert and what you say about it makes sense. I suppose I need to give the lance another chance especially to get that burst of speed from the charge, but the sword has still been useable for me.
  • IG-Calibre
    978 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    my tip is to just delete the default zoom on the charge.
  • Puckerbucket
    Hey @Forkbeard84 good to see you my old friend! Yup, still riding and sticking! RomioStrategos is still in my platoon, but he doesn't play often these days, as he just welcomed his second young daughter into the world..
    With regard to the lance, you simply MUST watch Killzone's videos. Not sure if he still has the #1 ranking because I haven't checked in a while, but he's amazing, and watching his videos really took me from being a good rider to being a much better rider.
    The "Lance Advanced Guide" made it crystal clear to me how and why I should be using that loadout, and I was never able to go back to the sword after that. These days, when an enemy rider shows me his sword or points his rifle at me, I laugh a little, because I KNOW I'm going to win that duel.
    https://youtube.com/results?search_query=killzone+cavalry
  • abc1434286920
    The "Lance Advanced Guide" made it crystal clear to me how and why I should be using that loadout, and I was never able to go back to the sword after that. These days, when an enemy rider shows me his sword or points his rifle at me, I laugh a little, because I KNOW I'm going to win that duel.
    https://youtube.com/results?search_query=killzone+cavalry

Same here, sometimes when my son plays and changes to the sword (bless him, he tries) I cringe when I spawn with it.

With the sword it always felt a random 50-50% when facing another rider, now with the lance it feels like if I don't make a mistake then I know I can win the duel.
  • CooolBreeze
    48 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I am wondering why do the horses have such a long respawn time when they are so much more vulnerable than vehicles?

Okay, A) horses are more potent than armor in the right hands and B) it is an animal albeit, virtual, bullets would hurt and animal, virtual or not more that an inanimate object like a piece of metal on a tank or armored vehicle. I am sort of saddened that someone has to explain this to you.
  • Hawxxeye
    edited September 2018

Okay, A) horses are more potent than armor in the right hands and B) it is an animal albeit, virtual, bullets would hurt and animal, virtual or not more that an inanimate object like a piece of metal on a tank or armored vehicle. I am sort of saddened that someone has to explain this to you.

I am just saying that its spawn is too slow for something so easy to kill when the right tools are used.
    And no between a good tanker and a good cavalry the tanker will win if both are aware of each other
  • mollyfrank1
    158 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    Why can't you hit the rider or horse with a hand held weapon?
    Post edited by mollyfrank1 on