Battlefield V Open Beta - Spectator Mode Feedback

Braddock512
1069 postsMember, Administrator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, EA Community Manager
This thread is dedicated to constructive feed back specifically about SPECTATOR MODE.

Let us know what you like, what you don't, what works, what doesn't.

BE CONSTRUCTIVE and Specific.

Comments about other features not related to Spectator mode should be elsewhere, on other threads.

Thanks for your feedback and we'll see you on the battlefield!

-Braddock512-

Comments

• Cine-Captures
    1 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Just some quick thoughts and feedback from today’s session.

Key Binds aren’t working. Simple enough, when tried to change some of the spectator key bindings,
    they didn’t seem to apply despite the fact that when re-entering the key binding tab all my keys
    were still supposedly set.

FOV keys. It would be nice to have a dedicated key to adjust FOV without being in the menu, like
    how the roll axis works. Page Up and Page Down would be great on PC, and the L&R thumbsticks
    pressed in on controller would work great for Console.

Drifting camera with controller. For some reason, when using the controller on PC (can’t say for
    console since I didn’t play one one) there’s an odd drift that happens after you’ve turned the
    camera. Not sure if that’s some acceleration or something to smooth out the shots, and if it is that
    would be a nice feature to toggle on and off.

Another thing I noticed is that the mouse and controller tend to conflict with each other quite a bit.
    Especially with the menu. If you’ve just used a controller for a smooth shot and you switch to mouse
    to change a setting, the mouse won’t appear in the menu. Also had some weird issues with the
    drifting when using controller for smooth movement and mouse for looking around.

Anamorphic Bokeh. Another neat bokeh preset, simply an oval shape to represent the look of an
    anamorphic lens.

Massive delay. I’ve noticed there is a huge delay between live gameplay and the spectator cam. This
    is incredibly difficult for filming cinematics & directing. We timed it and got on average, a 16 second
    delay. Not sure if this is to prevent stream sniping for tournaments and such, but surely there could
    be an alternative as this basically rules out being able to direct actors in cinematics.

I’d also really love to see a static player tracker added. Basically, you have control over the
    movement of where the camera is, but the pan and tilt axis are locked onto the player keeping them
    in either the centre of the frame or one of the thirds. Pretty sure you already have the technology in
    place for this from kill cams in some of the DICE games. Right now, I’m finding the director mode
    pretty hard to get a clean shot since the camera is always bumping into things, moving it in and out.
    Plus, with the player always rotating, it’s hard to get a decent shot. Also seems kind of weird since
    the camera is perfectly locked to the player. It works amazing for some shots and is a fantastic
    feature, but I feel like adding the player follow or track mode would be very beneficial for
    cinematics.

My biggest requests right now to be added though would still have to be

Freeze Time (crucial for action photos)

Custom Lights (not sure if this feature will ever be added to an official photomode, but it’d totally
    make it stand out from the rest)

Another nice feature to add would be control over the outdoor lighting settings. Not sure if this will
    be allowed and all, especially due to baked lighting. But changing the sun position would be
    somewhat of an alternative to custom lighting.

Hope this helps, will most likely have more feedback as I continue to use the tools.
  • PeterSMK2
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited September 6
    Spectator in Battlefield V is a huge improvement, compared to Battlefield 1... It's packing new features such as Bokeh shapes, a dedicated screenshot button and more.
    Right now FOV slider controls are missing from the Free camera view, which I'm sure Randy/SonicFrequency is fully aware of atm.

For the dedicated screenshot button I would love to see a custom resolution setting (similar to the one NVIDIA Ansel provides with Super Resolution).

One feature that is heavily requested by Spectator users is a freeze time feature. Hoping that would see the light of day in the future of Battlefield V.

Would love to see more options in the Key bindings options, such as FOV +/- keys (pgUp/pgDn) for instance.

Agreeing with @Cine-Captures - Custom lighting will come in handy. Maybe have a spotlight above the camera you're controlling with full control of color, intensity and radius in the Options menu.

I would also love to see the option to load into a private session (Perhaps a test range ;) ) and take screenshots of ourselves using Spectator mode or probably Ansel too.

Thank you so much for the folks who work on Spectator, especially for spending your personal time with us taking our feedback. <3
    Post edited by PeterSMK2 on
  • CommanderWacky
    57 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    First things first. I absolutely love the new spectator mode features, it really gives everybody the opportunity to make awesome cinematic videos and screenshots! My compliments for how it worked out!

A few feedback points are:
    - The delay between pressing the screenshot button (P by default on PC) and the actual time the screenshot is being taken is pretty long. It would be awesome if that could be near instant, as in a delay of 1 second or less. This comes in handy when you really want to take action shots.

- A second point of feedback is the options menu. Right now it’s only divided in sectors with a page full of options per sector, like “Camera” for example. I think that it will look much more clean if options are being placed in a drop down menu, like Nvidia Ansel has. That way you can hide options you don’t need, and if you need them you can find them more easily than scrolling down the full list of options.

This are my only points of feedback, for now. I’ll edit this post if I can think of some more. :)
  • junifly
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Spectator Mode works well after you get the hang of it

Just a few improvements I would suggest from just a photographers' perspective

1) It can be quite confusing to understand the layout etc. Personally it feels like too much is going on at once and a more simplified menu with everything in one seems for just screenshot purposes would make it much easier. For example, just have all the camera settings and shaders/filters in one window and tilt, FoV, DoF in another.

2) Wish we get to see a freeze time or pause the moment to capture. But that happening in a live environment may prove to be tricky I'd imagine.

3) Game often crashes when cycling past or using the lock to bone feature.

4) Tilting too much can result in an infinite loop where the camera continously circles around xD

Apart from that, the features are really neat and is really helpful for creating those cinematic screenshots!
  • SonicFrequency
    35 postsMember, Developer DICE, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! :) I'll read through all your posts and comment later today when I have some free time.

I just wanted to make a quick post regarding the crashing some of you have reported. There are some crashes that can happen while spectating on Narvik currently. If you would like to spectate I would suggest doing it on Rotterdam for now since those crashes won't happen on that map.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    9305 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited September 6
    I think my only gripe at the moment with spec mode is the lack of usable filters, I count around 3 filters that can be applied currently which is kinda restrictive at the moment though this could be because all of the filters aren't in yet.

Something else crossed my mind, I know that Ansel is to be supported in the final "gold" build, But this would be for single player would it not?

Perhaps add Ansel support to Spectator mode in addition to SP so that we can take advantage of the ability to render out some absolutely crazy screenshots at up to 48K resolution, Plus being able to use the Ansel filters too!

Besides that though, Great update to an already cool screenshot/cinematic tool.
  • l_DEADEYE_I
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I use spectator in every way imaginable. I use it for cinematic and screenshots for graphics, but I mostly use it for shoutcasting matches in for the Hardcore League. It is safe to say that once our teams start competing, I am in spectator more than I am in-game.

That being said, I am gonna give my first impressions and then I will have a follow up post after I get more time in with spectator.

First impressions.... I efing love it! The ability to select between a cinematic setup and a broadcast setup is fantastic!
    My feedback will be based on the spectator mode as it is operated from a controller, even when I cast on PC, I use my controller. The combined button configuration to implement more functions is awesome. I like the customization and the addition of the little features like the border and the logo.

I am gonna drop a short list of things I would like to see, dunno if they can be done, but here they are:
    • The ability to replace the BFV logo with a custom logo.
    • The ability to insert custom labels for the red/blue team menus. i.e. team names/logos
    • The ability to remove the control icons on the bottom without removing everything else.

Last thing, I am a little confused on how the projectile and grenade cam function... are they specific to grenade launchers/rockets? Or can you follow bullets? I didn't get much time to test it, but when I do I will let you know what I think.

Overall, I think it is amazing and ya'll have done a great job!

I will do some more testing and post some follow up feedback as soon as possible.
  • MCFreakReturns
    185 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited September 7
    Great improvement over BF1 but its still confusing as hell to use on xbox. Managed to explore the whole of narvik. I even followed the whale around for half hour. Lol.

Bug: quiting out of spec mode quitted me out of the beta completly and sent me to dashboard. Happened twice.

IMPORTANT QUESTION
    Love all the options you can change to the display ie bloom settings, colour , contrast etc. It makes it very easy to see people moving about.
    My question: Why the hell dont we have these options in the game?????? Lol

Anyway gonna go test it out on Rotterdam now.
  • Kamaka18
    3 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    It's a bit hard to see players because they blend in very well with the ground. My only real concern is the stability. I have crashed every time I've tried to use it but I'm sure this will be fixed by the time the game launches.
    Gonna be a great asset to Battlefield Premier League once our casters get used to the new controls.

• SonicFrequency
    35 postsMember, Developer DICE, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha
    Thanks so much for all the feedback everyone. We really do appreciate it and I read as much as I possibly can so we can continue to improve spectator mode. There were some duplicate requests so if I didn't answer you directly it's probably earlier in my reply.

Cine-Captures
    -Aware of keybindings not working. That will be fixed.
    -Keys to change the FoV is in our backlog so could be added in the future
    -The drift is usually due to your stick on the controller not being completely centered. Not much I can do about that.
    -I have noticed some of the mouse/kb and controller conflicts as well so will look into those
    -I can add the anamorphic Bokeh to our backlog. Can't promise that will be added though since our backlog is huge!
    -Yep there is a default 15 second delay in spectator mode which is the same as what is in BF1. BF1 has a RSP setting to turn that off. I can't comment on anything RSP related for BFV as it's not the area I work on for the game. I am very aware that makes it a pain for making cinematics(it's why we added the option in BF1).
    -You can turn on the target relative pitch/yaw/roll while using the director camera which might help some with what you are talking about hopefully.
    -Freeze time, custom lights, sun movement are all in our backlog already. There are lots of requests for freeze time but it has a lot of technical challenges to get working in a live multiplayer game. It's not impossible but will take a significant amount of time to add that feature.

PeterSMK2
    -FoV/Dof missing from free camera is probably because you are using the drop cam which doesn't have those settings. There is an icon on the bottom/middle that will say if that is being used while in free cam mode. You have to use cameras 1-5 to use the dof/fov settings in free cam modes. When switching from any player view mode to free cam, the drop camera will activate.
    -Taking screenshots of your own soldier would be nice, but it would have to work very differently in that you would just spawn a soldier with your saved appearance. That soldier would probably only be visible to you and would simply be a visual and not actually something you can control. Those are just ideas at this point so that doesn't mean it's exactly how it would work if the feature was added.

CommanderWacky
    -the take screenshot delay is 3 or 4 frames right now. I can take a look at making it shorter. The reason there is a delay is so the UI can be hidden automatically. Once that finishes it will take the screenshot.
    -Making the UI is probably the most challenging part of spectator. Whatever we do needs to work with mouse/keyboard and also a controller. We will keep listening to feedback about the UI and see what kind of improvements we can make to it so it's easier to use.

junifly
    -I will admit some of the way the settings are presented in the options is a little clunky like DoF and the filters. Those still function per camera like in BF1 but the rest of the options are global. We want to change this in the future so you can just make a preset for everything, save it, and then be able to apply that preset to any camera. That will allow us to reorganize all the options so things are grouped together a lot better. I can't say when something like that will be added but it's high on our list of priorities since it will be a requirement to add some of the other new features we want to add.
    -See my previous post regarding the crashing
    -Aware of the tilt bug and that will get fixed for launch.

LOLGotYerTags
    -We'd like to add more filters in the future. Those are actually made by a lighting artist since they are the experts on those kinds of things. Keep an eye out in the future for any updates on this.

l_DEADEYE_I
    -I'm glad you like the different controller layouts. Splitting them up for broadcasters and cinematographers will allow us to add a lot more things to each in the future without having to make difficult compromises to please both types of people that use spectator mode.
    -We have some tasks in our backlog for custom logos and team names/labels. Can't say if/when that will happen but it's on our radar.
    -If you are talking about the icons for the inputs to press on the bottom bar there is an option to turn those off. Can't remember the name of it right now though.
    -The grenade camera currently works with grenades that do direct damage and with launcher weapons like the panzerfaust. We will probably add more to this in the future for weapons that make sense. Using it on something like a primary weapon isn't great because it would just constantly be triggering and it's really hard to follow what's going on.

freakyfoy
    -there is definitely a lot to learn. I don't expect anyone to learn how everything works within a day. You just have to practice using it if you want to get good at it.
    -A lot of those options impact visibility. In a competitive game we don't want players getting an unfair advantage by using settings like we have in spectator. For example, if everyone could change the weather it wouldn't be very fair if someone had it foggy but another person had clear skies.
  • RakkTalk
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Alrighty. My turn here. I'm really loving the spectator mode, yet even though it's been discussed, on console we're still limited, but part of that is because we cannot switch to characters or other cameras easily right now without going to overhead map first.

The blur intensity still has a major issue seeming to make the pictures look... eh. Have to really work different camera features and more before each camera settings is just the way I want it and sometimes it still isn't good enough. It's cool that the guys on PC are being able to make some dynamic photos utilizing third party applications, however I wish those dynamic we're already available to everyone, including us console guys. To be able to get some really defined shots that really POP would be a dream come true. It was something I was hoping would have been included in this when I first mentioned it. Probably other reasons on why it can't be, but still would have been great to have.

The relative feature especially on 'bone' is all over the place. I feel that the camera roll right now was best without the need for bone relative. When locked onto arm, leg, weapon, head, whatever, it causes too much commotion with the camera. Especially trying to follow someone and suddenly they're camping out and you can't get a good angle on them because you're connected to a certain body part. When a grenade is thrown, the action is so quick you can't even capture that target on camera long enough to tell what it was. Maybe once the freeze frame comes along, it'll look cool, but for now... it's okay.

The sun on Rotterdam is just like an exploding star and just cuts horribly through some photos. Trying to get some sillouhette shots and everything just looks distorted. ar as background were perfect, sun, the water, level designs. Of course unless you have a PC and Hatti Watt, Maya or Ansel, you can't really do much with the other features. Pixelated characters in foreground and background with blur and DOF on. Hell, I got some airplane shots and they look okay from what I've seen many others do.

Basically, my whole point in the beginning when I first started asking about features and what is coming to spectator mode and what does PC have that console won't, I still see PC having the upper hand without them needing third party apps to create fantastic shots. We really need some help on the console side. I've got myself familiar with camera settings and where I need near start, near end, far start and far end, camera blur and anything else. Still feel like getting cheated on console though. There's got to be some way that we can all be on the same page.

Anyhow, thank you for all that you guys have done. I've enjoyed using it and capturing as I always do. I'll still keep pushing others to do it as well and never give up as I won't either. Just want to find a common goal for all of us to succeed in the shots we take pride in taking.
  • MCFreakReturns
    185 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I obviously wasnt talking about the weather lol

Just the other visual ones i mentioned. And it wouldnt be an advantage if everyone could do it.. lol
    I only brought it up because im finding it really difficult to see the enemy in game.
    When i finally do... Im shot dead before my eyes have registered that fact with my brain. Lol yet in spectator mode i can turn up the colours, contrast etc and i can see much better.

Anyway thanks for replying and keep up.the good work.
  • Collision_TN
    139 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited September 7
    I just wanted to make a quick post regarding the crashing some of you have reported. There are some crashes that can happen while spectating on Narvik currently. If you would like to spectate I would suggest doing it on Rotterdam for now since those crashes won't happen on that map.
    I am almost certain that an eventual Spectator Mode crash happened to me in Rotterdam, even without using the bone-lock feature.
    Post edited by Collision_TN on
  • Shadow6ix
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited September 7
    I think most people have covered the essentials in terms of feedback. I'm mostly really happy with the way spec mode looks right now, you guys have done an incredible job including many features I wasn't expecting to see!

I'll just point out a couple of things that I don't think have been mentioned yet.

Firstly, is it possible to remove controller vibration by default for spec mode?

Secondly, I've noticed that the rain weather state when activated by the user, doesn't seem to initiate some of the wet texture changes (to char models for example). Matti had a similar issue with his weather modes in the tools. Similarly, when the real game weather state changes to rain, if the spec mode user state is set to sunny, the characters appear wet. Hope that makes sense.

Lastly, I wonder if it's possible to switch the DoF control scheme (near and far values) to that of the engine's "camera settings"? I think it would be simpler for most users, and it's very effective. This isn't a deal breaker, just an idea.

Pretty much everyone has mentioned it... freeze time really is the most important feature missing, but you guy know that already.

Thank you for the hard work!
  • DTMCRAZY
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Hey everyone, love the ideas and suggestions you have made. Didn’t read all of them, but all the same great work.

I’m going to just get straight into my ideas.

Please Note: My idea come from playing on the Xbox One. Can’t speak for PC and PS4

1) “Save Gameplay” this is the biggest one for me! I’m talking about being able to go back to a game you played and going to any player, at anytime, at any location on the map.

This makes life easier for me to stage my own movements and go back and record. Maybe even record other players movement that correspond to me.

Note: Fortnite & Halo have this feature

2) “Fast Foward & Slowmotion”
    I am a HUGE fan of slowmotion and wouldn’t it be great if we could capture a tank blasting through a house 100 times SLOWER then real-time gameplay.

Or capture a time lapse of the battlefield before and after the battle. With houses perfectly intact and then blown up to almost nothing left!

3) “Freeze Frame/ Pause”
    This is straight foward. Basically to allow screenshots or come up with some creative bullet time!

Note: Battlefield has this for your background menu

That all I have for now as my main suggestion. Great job with what we have now at our fingertips and keep up the good work!!!!
  • DigitalHype
    272 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Kamaka18 wrote: »
    It's a bit hard to see players because they blend in very well with the ground. My only real concern is the stability. I have crashed every time I've tried to use it but I'm sure this will be fixed by the time the game launches.
    Gonna be a great asset to Battlefield Premier League once our casters get used to the new controls.

Same here. Spectator mode crashes the game client for me after a few minutes.
  • SonicFrequency
    Shadow6ix:
    -Yes we can probably turn off controller vibration for spectator.
    -I'll have to look into the weathering on soldiers. May just be a bug with how all the data is setup for the map.
    -I would like to add simpler DoF settings to make it easier to use. I'd probably keep the old ones so they are still available and it would probably be a setting to choose if you want to use the simple or advanced version.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    9305 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Any chance of a "time stop" feature?

This is a feature currently built into the CinematicTools by HattiWatti where you press a hotkey and time "stops".. characters are locked in position, vehicles are also locked in position, Spec cam would be able to freely move still.

Something closely resembling this.

• DANNYonPC
    234 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 11
    My favorite features of the cinetools (that are currently missing) are

Things i feel would be possible
    - Freeze frame, pauze as the right moment and take the perfect shot
    - A drop down menu for the weather, since moving trough em takes some time now (Just a quality of life thing) Maybe give them the right names too (Sunny/foggy/etc)
    - Use the scrollwheel to move the Depth of field's focus range, could give some seriously cool effects (For example start focused on a soldier standing, then move the camera slightly onto an upcoming group of people where they come in focus)
    - Could also work fun with an auto focus mode, if thats possible (no idea how the game calculates the geometry, and what should realistically be in focus and whatever :p)
    - Ingame FOV control (with a hotkey) + ofcourse an option to set the speed
    - About the P to screenshot mode itself, would it be an option to run the game on 100% reso scaling, and quickly put it on 200% for the picture? ( 1440p makes my 980 cry just a little bit :p)

Things that are in the.. not so possibly/sketchy side :p (That i still love to see)
    - Texture editting, changing all walls of Rotterdam to Dan Mitre or David Sirland, who doesn't want that :p?
    - Custom animations imported from Maya/3ds or whatever software you can get a plugin for (Why? See Shadow6ix his work :p)
    - Custom lightning, Custom nightmaps, or light up a scene that needs a bit more light (See S6 again :p)
    - Setting up a local match to take pictures and stuff :D (Maybe even with a few friends joining in... like thats going to happen )
    - Effects spawner, When in need of explosions, add them yourself!
    - Forever alone mode, where you can take pictures of yourself (works good with freeze frame :p)

__

All clientside ofcourse
  • ducain23
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    After reading through the comments, people have already stated some of my issues, but I really want to stress certain features that Battlefield needs with Spectator Mode.

1) Ability to pause the action to get an awesome screenshot from multiple angles.
    2) Ability to rewind just in case you missed something epic!
    3) Maybe just provide a "Theater Mode" that allows us to save game films so we can just play a multiplayer match and if an epic moment comes... we can save the film and then go back and record it from multiple angles. Would be amazing for Machinimas or Montage Videos :)