I feel bad for the horses in BF1

Corporal_Carrot
16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
edited August 2016
I know, I know it's just pixels. But to me it's like shooting a dog or other loved pet. Shooting a beautifully and realistically rendered horse just doesn't spell "fun" for me. (cartoon or humorous games, sure I have no issue).
And yes I know I'm shooting at humans, which should worry me more, but the people are shooting back at me, so it feels somewhat justified. And yes I know it's just pixels too :)

I think a lot of people think this way, which is why we all have movies about people killing people, and we don't specifically go to watch animal cruelty movies. People always go "awwww" etc when a dog or pet dies in a movie. It's different somehow, even though of course the movies aren't real either, people still have that reaction.

Plus when you are shooting "the bad guys" it's different because it makes you a hero in your head or whatever, it's a bit of power trip. And when it's a movie you associate or root for the hero when they're killing the bad guys. But you don't get that feeling when they are hurting animals in the movies (unless necessary for survival against a predator). But people and horses have a special connection like they do with other pets, we can empathize with them.

I guess in a way it's a bit like seeing children harmed in movies or games, unless it's done in an unrealistically comical and over the top way, most people find it distasteful.

TL:DR
I feel bad about the horses getting hurt or killed in Battlefield 1. Is it possible to change it so that the horses runaway instead of dying? Or something else that doesn't involve hurting them. it should be a local option to toggle on/off for the players want it . So everyone else on the server can still play with realistic horse deaths if they want to.

I hope there is a solution, otherwise the game will just not be as much fun for me. I might not even purchase it.
Post edited by Corporal_Carrot on

Comments

• WALKINGCORPSE1
    499 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
  • Ameeba37
    1753 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The horses are are trying to trample you, therefore they are enemies and need to be liquidated.

I wonder if horses will trigger AT mines, I hope they'll do.
  • smys123
    973 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    but we are cool with shooting humans - insert eye roll here
  • Corporal_Carrot
    edited August 2016
    smys123 wrote: »

That's why I tried to make the movie analogy. Most people go see an action movie for entertainment where several people get violently killed or hurt, blood etc. But people don't go and see movies where someone beats up an animal shelter or farm full of animals. If that happens in a movie they are always the bad guy that the audience hates. It's just the way most people are I guess.
  • bulletsearl
    1110 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited August 2016
    Shooting a horse is not necessary, shooting the rider is enough.
    They have tons of HP. (not horse power!) So they will survive a lot of damage. If they die they should die and
    not run away magically over the rainbow... I mean come on that would be ridiculous.

Still hoping for jihad horses.
    But people don't go and see movies where someone beats up an animal shelter or farm full of animals.
    There are such movies??

• m09-legendary
    349 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    War with horses is done in the time of babulion or roman empire öre othmaan empire so don't talk on animals don't forgot camels and cow and elephant. And humans war is not good
  • Corporal_Carrot
    edited August 2016
    they should die and not run away magically over the rainbow... I mean come on that would be ridiculous.
    Sorry I should have mentioned - it should be a local option to toggle on/off for the players want it so that way it doesn't effect anyone else that wants it to be realistic. I'll update my original post, I wouldn't want to take it away for anyone else.
    But people don't go and see movies where someone beats up an animal shelter or farm full of animals.
    There are such movies??

"Earthlings" with Joaquin Phoenix maybe, but that's more of a documentary. I'm not really sure if there are hollywood style action movies where Jackie Chan is using ladders and frying pans against badgers while simultaneously jump kicking a porcupine:)

• badkarma11
    44 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    They should make the horses unicorns. At least they'd have a weapon then.
  • DeathByFeathers
    1665 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Sooo what you're saying is that if you're seeing a 2,000 lb war horse running straight at you that you'll need a couple seconds to decide if it's right to shoot it or not. You could throw an AT grenade straight at a horse and rider and only the rider dies. Horses have been used in warfare for ages and yet it's unacceptable that you can kill them now because moral reasons
  • Loqtrall
    12020 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    You do realize that war horses are trained to trample people during a charge, right? They were expressly used for that reason in battle - to be faster than an enemy on their feet, and to potentially crush an enemy who is on their feet.

It's the entire purpose of a cavalry "charge". What do you think they charge directly at the wall of enemies for? So the horses can stop right before hitting them and they can have a cup of tea with the enemy?

If a 1,000+ (sometimes 2,000+) pound animal with an enemy soldier on it is charging toward you at 25-30 mph, and you're in the middle of a war, do you really have to THINK about whether you'd shoot that animal or not? When literally just 1-2 shots could prevent it from crushing you to death? That's like being run over by a small car.

That's why I tried to make the movie analogy. Most people go see an action movie for entertainment where several people get violently killed or hurt, blood etc. But people don't go and see movies where someone beats up an animal shelter or farm full of animals. If that happens in a movie they are always the bad guy that the audience hates. It's just the way most people are I guess.

Even with the "movie analogy" - how does it make sense to be fine with watching innocent people die, but not an animal? I literally just watched No Country For Old Men yesterday, which includes a scene where a pitbull trained by a Mexican drug cartel is chasing a guy down a river, and is shot dead by the guy when they get on the bank of said river. I didn't react to him killing that dog any differently than I reacted to other characters killing innocent people.

Why? Because it's absolutely fake. At the end of the day, that dog went home to it's trainer - the fat guy that got his brain shot through by an air gun got up after the director yelled "cut", and went and washed his makeup off.

Things that aren't real shouldn't have a profound effect on people in real-life. It's fake, and should be treated as such.

At the end of the day, nobody playing BF1 is shooting a real horse, the horse in the game doesn't have feelings, and literally nobody and nothing participating in the game have died because of what happened in the game (unless you have like epilepsy and you see some flashes and have a seizure and die, or the game is so **** amazing that you have a heart attack, but that's pretty much the only way)
  • Corporal_Carrot
    edited August 2016
    Sooo what you're saying is that if you're seeing a 2,000 lb war horse running straight at you that you'll need a couple seconds to decide if it's right to shoot it or not. You could throw an AT grenade straight at a horse and rider and only the rider dies. Horses have been used in warfare for ages and yet it's unacceptable that you can kill them now because moral reasons

Not for moral reasons. I'd happily kill a horse in real life if it was necessary, and appreciate that people did/do whatever it takes to survive in real-life.

I just don't enjoy it as a past-time, when I'm at home relaxing. It's not fun to me.
  • smys123
    973 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    no horses were harmed in the making of this game, or the playing of it.
  • Turban_Legend80
    4535 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I'm seriously gonna think about the environment next time I play gran turismo
  • Corporal_Carrot
    Loqtrall wrote: »
    You do realize that war horses are trained to trample people during a charge, right? They were expressly used for that reason in battle - to be faster than an enemy on their feet, and to potentially crush an enemy who is on their feet.

It's the entire purpose of a cavalry "charge". What do you think they charge directly at the wall of enemies for? So the horses can stop right before hitting them and they can have a cup of tea with the enemy?

If a 1,000+ (sometimes 2,000+) pound animal with an enemy soldier on it is charging toward you at 25-30 mph, and you're in the middle of a war, do you really have to THINK about whether you'd shoot that animal or not? When literally just 1-2 shots could prevent it from crushing you to death? That's like being run over by a small car.

Even with the "movie analogy" - how does it make sense to be fine with watching innocent people die, but not an animal? I literally just watched No Country For Old Men yesterday, which includes a scene where a pitbull trained by a Mexican drug cartel is chasing a guy down a river, and is shot dead by the guy when they get on the bank of said river. I didn't react to him killing that dog any differently than I reacted to other characters killing innocent people.

Why? Because it's absolutely fake. At the end of the day, that dog went home to it's trainer - the fat guy that got his brain shot through by an air gun got up after the director yelled "cut", and went and washed his makeup off.

Things that aren't real shouldn't have a profound effect on people in real-life. It's fake, and should be treated as such.

At the end of the day, nobody playing BF1 is shooting a real horse, the horse in the game doesn't have feelings, and literally nobody and nothing participating in the game have died because of what happened in the game (unless you have like epilepsy and you see some flashes and have a seizure and die, or the game is so **** amazing that you have a heart attack, but that's pretty much the only way)

I agree with you completely, if movies or games are having a profound effect, well, people probably need help.

I can't say that shooting a virtual animal has a profound effect on me, but it does take some of the fun out of the game. And to me it's the difference between really enjoying the game to enjoying it a lot less.
  • Turban_Legend80
    4535 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member

I agree with you completely, if movies or games are having a profound effect, well, people probably need help.

I can't say that shooting a virtual animal has a profound effect on me, but it does take some of the fun out of the game. And to me it's the difference between really enjoying the game to enjoying it a lot less.
    Same reason I couldnt play pacman. My love for dots is real.
  • Corporal_Carrot
    no horses were harmed in the making of this game, or the playing of it.

Of course, but if take a look at a war game versus a hunting simulator. Which one would you rather play? One is more fun than the other for most people.
  • Corporal_Carrot
    Same reason I couldnt play pacman. My love for dots is real.

#GhostLivesMatters
    Oh wait ... I just realised, they're already dead. That's why they are ghosts :)

• alexis41096
    801 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

I agree with all you said there, btw did you enjoy no country for old men? (Sorry for going off topic any admin who sees this) I **** love that movie even though to some it might be a little slow and maybe pretentious to some people.
  • Loqtrall
    12020 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I agree with all you said there, btw did you enjoy no country for old men? (Sorry for going off topic any admin who sees this) I **** love that movie even though to some it might be a little slow and maybe pretentious to some people.

It was a fantastic movie.
  • PauloGrego
    123 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I do feel bad for the horses too, but I love animals, so why care about the game?

Just go play and shoot them all, then quit the game and go pet your dog or bird (in my case), and that's it, FTFY.