Old school players impressions of BFV beta

Comments

• V1k1n6-666
    70 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    A lot of good ideas that need a lot of work.

Vehicle gameplay is pretty bad just now. Aircraft in particular feel like flying cows.

Airplanes have inertia now and energy management. Learn how to use it in your favor and you'll get the kills.

Overall this game needs more skill than BF1 and a lot of people are upset about it. I am pleasantly surprised.
  • V1k1n6-666
    70 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I have also been playing Battlefield since BF1942, including the SW Battlefronts. And the best Battlefield yet is BF1. Unfortunately BFV did not feel like a reskin of BF1, nor an improvement. It felt more like BF Hardline. Sadly, I just downloaded BFV beta, and for the first time, could not even bring myself to complete the round. It was that disappointing. Like Hardline, it felt 'klunky'. I have been so happy with BF1, and thus BFV was the first time I pre-ordered. I hope BFV gets better by the release date, and my pre-order was not a waste of money.

You can't base your opinions on half a round of beta.

• BURGERKRIEG
    1065 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have also been playing Battlefield since BF1942, including the SW Battlefronts. And the best Battlefield yet is BF1. Unfortunately BFV did not feel like a reskin of BF1, nor an improvement. It felt more like BF Hardline. Sadly, I just downloaded BFV beta, and for the first time, could not even bring myself to complete the round. It was that disappointing. Like Hardline, it felt 'klunky'. I have been so happy with BF1, and thus BFV was the first time I pre-ordered. I hope BFV gets better by the release date, and my pre-order was not a waste of money.

It is a bit like hardline, the fast ttk, the high recoil, I agree with you there. Clunky is too unspecific though. Do you mean player movement?

In the end, like a year later Hardline was highly fluid in terms of player movement, but that’s another story..

I’ve played the arcade/casual stuff too, like SWBF. I felt that BF1 was way to similar to those games, or was a expansion of the design philosophy behind those titles, which included an emphasis on compressing the skill gap.

Only time will tell how BFV turns out. If you recall when BF4 launched it was largely hated, it was pretty broken but now it’s considered a classic.

We’ll see.
  • kohagan1942
    54 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Overall it’s solid. Infantry gameplay wise.

Explosive spam is gone.

ADAD spam is gone.

Weapons handle more like old bf weapons, they are difficult to master, that’s where the skill comes in of course. You can’t just pick it up and start being good. You have to earn it. Accuracy is now rewarded, as it should be.

Fast TTK is fine but I’m sure we’ll see a tweaks to it to get the balance right. I like how it’s possible to do a single handed squad wipe if you are good/lucky enough now.

Spotting going bye bye is pretty much like playing hardcore mode from previous games so it’s not a big deal adjusting.

Going Rambo lone wolf just got me killed.

The running around like headless chickens just soaking up bullets like Wolverine has been curtailed.

I noticed that squad play or just plain team play, is now essential.

Seems they have created the new health and ammo system to steer players towards sticking to team mates and more importantly swapping meds, ammo and reviving etc this is now a core feature of winning. That’s cool, it’s battlefield after all. That’s one of the pillars it was all built on.

Not bad so far.

I think I might be back onboard.

I agree with this message. Played since bf vietnam. Love it.

I actually don't care if the player base sheds those lone wolf types who care only about KD ratio and hyper fast gameplay. Battlefield was never originally about that, unfortunately the popularity and influence of cod bled into later versions. It is going to hit those players hard the changes.

This is definitely my favourite bf in a long time.
  • Delta_02_Cat
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Good to see a thread that is not full of hate :)

I am positively surprised by the beta, sure it has tons of bugs and balancing issues but the overall gameplay feels very solid and I am quite happy that it is nothing like BF1. That game was not bad but I would rate it my least liked Battlefield title.
    BF V feels like the direct opposite of BF 1 and that is a good thing.
    • - No more grenade spam and everything constantly exploding.
    • - Teamplay is no actually needed!
    • - Rambo style lone wolf players won't be successful in BF V
    • - Tanks are powerful but not invincible any more.
    • - Rotterdam is probably the best urban map to date. It offers enough options for flanking but still has it's hotspots of tight, action packed alleyways.
    • - Fortifications! They are awesome and really change the way a match plays out.

Of course, it has its flaws but most of them can still be fixed and probably will be fixed.
    For example, the squad system is just broken and stupid and needs a lot of fixing and I would like to spawn with full ammo if I spawn on a secure objective.
    There are more issues but most of them are not as bad as people like to make them.
  • SumwhatKrazy
    557 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I must get around to trying it rather than just reading everyone's comments. It's really doing my head in at how so many of the comments iam reading are the exact opposite.
    Just proves that everyone has a different opinion.
    Iam from the BF2 days and hearing people say it has gone back more towards that style excites me, yet other comments iam reading, it sounds nothing like BF2 at all.
    Some are saying its completely different and not Battlefield, others saying its just more of the same.
    One things for sure, if the maps aren't large and if vehicles dont play a big role, its not like BF2.
  • SirBobdk
    5319 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    @UsainskiSemperFi wrote
    i hope performance in the game will be improved .
    It have to be. Right now it's unplayable for me. I'm rubberbanding every 5 sec.
  • saktormichal
    10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    How can you say it is outstanding or improvement? this BF5 is a complete RUBISH! waste of time and most important waste of money! I am at the moment on COD WWII and was waiting for BF5 to finally came out but played beta and its disaster! The graphics are so far the worst! BF4 graphics were already worst then BF3 but BF5 is a JOKE! only fun fact is that just because of that it made me feel like kid again playing on old PC.
  • pest174
    811 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    V1k1n6-666 wrote: »
    A lot of good ideas that need a lot of work.

Vehicle gameplay is pretty bad just now. Aircraft in particular feel like flying cows.

Airplanes have inertia now and energy management. Learn how to use it in your favor and you'll get the kills.

Overall this game needs more skill than BF1 and a lot of people are upset about it. I am pleasantly surprised.

I haven't used a plane yet, but it looks like people are getting a hang of it already. Played a match last night where one pilot kept destroying infantry (including myself) over and over.
  • kohagan1942
    54 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    How can you say it is outstanding or improvement? this BF5 is a complete RUBISH! waste of time and most important waste of money! I am at the moment on COD WWII and was waiting for BF5 to finally came out but played beta and its disaster! The graphics are so far the worst! BF4 graphics were already worst then BF3 but BF5 is a JOKE! only fun fact is that just because of that it made me feel like kid again playing on old PC.

The things he listed are why he feels its an improvement and some agree. What makes you disagree apart from graphics?
  • mcRen98
    349 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I must get around to trying it rather than just reading everyone's comments. It's really doing my head in at how so many of the comments iam reading are the exact opposite.
    Just proves that everyone has a different opinion.
    Iam from the BF2 days and hearing people say it has gone back more towards that style excites me, yet other comments iam reading, it sounds nothing like BF2 at all.
    Some are saying its completely different and not Battlefield, others saying its just more of the same.
    One things for sure, if the maps aren't large and if vehicles dont play a big role, its not like BF2.

All you really can do is play and judge for yourself. Hopefully it is reminiscent of Bf2 for you.
  • xXCA_RageXx
    1038 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    As someone who has played since the release of 1942, I detest this version. I hated BF1 and thought it the low of the low. This is not much better, to me it's just a re-skin of 1 with modified game play. I hate it. The game still plays at 1 million miles an hour, characters can run 100m in 2 seconds and the maps are pathetically small - as mentioned above, they look big but it's mostly cosmetic.
    In BF2 for example, the maps were huge and allowed you to go off in a variety of directions. In this, you are still funneled through a small middle area. It' a joke now in comparison.

Squad functions are a mess now, there might as well not be classes now as you can basically do much of it in any class - medics for example are now just a walking defib as everyone can self heal - but never mind, I can chuck you ammo to make up for it.
    I used to love having to team up with friends/randoms where each of you had a role and you really needed to work together to take a base / destroy vehicles. It's a total joke now compared to that.

I could rant and rave for ages, but I will save you all from that tedium. I may well be looking through rose tinted glasses, but to say this is a return to form is like saying you've won the lottery when all you got was £10

As someone who doesnt even want to think about how many hours I put into bf2, I would have to disagree. I think this the closest weve come to that type of gameplay in many years. There are plenty of routes to move around the maps, atleast on conquest. Operations you can still move around but of course the whole point is to attack a front so it plays alot differently. I will agree that the medic revive needs to be almost instant but still with the animation, its abusrd that it takes almost as long as the squad revive. And why in the world did they give them the smgs. I find people working as a squad much more than any of the latest battlefields,myself included(big rambo player here). We all like to look at our fond memories of our older games through rose tinted glasses. I remember actually going to play bf2 a couple years back and played strike at karkand. For 20 minutes it was just both sides lobbing grenades at each at the front, it was silly.
  • BURGERKRIEG
    1065 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @UsainskiSemperFi wrote

If you are getting that on different servers then it sounds like your internet connection speed.

I’ve not experienced any rubber banding. The odd death when I thought I reached cover, nothing like BF4 before the net code got fixed.

But then again the region in which I live has an all fibre network. I’m not trying to seem superior, just letting you know what it’s like on my end net performance wise.

• timmy999777
    173 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    also no more gas grenade spamming
  • BetaFief
    655 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

now if only they could make grenades in general slower to use... though I guess that's what needs to be done in general.

(like make the "incendiary grenade" have an animation where you basically use a lighter or something to light a wick before you throw it, have the ordinary frag grenade use a similar animation)
  • xXCA_RageXx
    1038 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Good lord did that make bf1 close quarters combat boring.
  • TiMEvBoMB
    139 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

That's the one big positive about this game.
  • SirBobdk
    5319 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @UsainskiSemperFi wrote
    If you are getting that on different servers then it sounds like your internet connection speed.
    I have Fiber 100x100.
  • rouvio
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I agree with the OP %100.
  • AnzacPete
    242 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Early days, something in the game doesn't feel right. However I will keep playing the beta to make sure that it isn't me just needing to adjust to the changes.