A Swear Filter.......

Comments

• TEKNOCODE
    10761 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Lol..
  • InnerD
    878 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    TYA-Sniper wrote: »
    InnerD wrote: »
    Also you said they are breaking the law, that means lots of companies are and its something that should be addressed. what is stopping you?

Class action lawsuits are not allowed in the UK. That's whats stopping me.

you're assuming that people would agree with you, i dont see anyone doing that here.
  • TYA-Sniper
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
    Also you said they are breaking the law, that means lots of companies are and its something that should be addressed. what is stopping you?

you're assuming that people would agree with you, i dont see anyone doing that here.
    kontradikt wrote: »
    But why are us gamers being suppressed for no reason when we have the right to cuss or **** in chat? This isn't a children's game, it's a man's game. You think they didn't cuss in WW2? Please.

what gives you the right to swear in public chat?

The same principle that gives you the right to swear in public : free speech.

There's someone agreeing. Also, there are many other threads about this not just here but on other forums with people agreeing, so it's not an assumption. Either way, as a UK resident, it doesn't matter if someone agrees with me or not because you cannot bring class action lawsuits against companies in the UK.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    12622 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Let's stay on topic.

This thread is regarding the profanity filter, So let's keep the thread on that particular subject.

Cheers.
  • InnerD
    878 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

But why are us gamers being suppressed for no reason when we have the right to cuss or **** in chat? This isn't a children's game, it's a man's game. You think they didn't cuss in WW2? Please.

There's someone agreeing. Also, there are many other threads about this not just here but on other forums with people agreeing, so it's not an assumption. Either way, as a UK resident, it doesn't matter if someone agrees with me or not because you cannot bring class action lawsuits against companies in the UK.
    oh well guess you'll never get your way then.
    that being said i know these posts always happen when a company introduces a swear filter and the company always wins. so trying to convince them otherwise is a losing battle.
  • MikeManiac61
    718 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It needs some work that's for sure, but it is a step in the right direction. In some ways i'm glad they did this, most of the time it was just nonsensical, outlandish spam in the chat.
  • Alphazetamu
    692 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I just love how DLC is considered a profanity.

Player: when will we get DLC?

DICE: How dare you speak like that? That's a deeply offensive term.

• InnerD

they have already addressed the problem in the announcements forum.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    12622 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator

It's a new thing and Beta is a great place to test it out, It allows DICE to collect information on words that are being filtered, Which then means the innocent words can be whitelisted in the filter and only the truly offensive terms can be kept in.
  • 0KNMDM
    165 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

It's a new thing and Beta is a great place to test it out, It allows DICE to collect information on words that are being filtered, Which then means the innocent words can be whitelisted in the filter and only the truly offensive terms can be kept in.

Good luck on refining a regex filter which is what it seems they're using... possibly in combination with some sort of fuzzy search, but from the tests i've performed thus far, it seems like regex words and phrases... all I have to say about that is LOL

Honestly though, all this controversy vanishes into thin air with a "disable profanity filter" setting... keep the racial slurs filtered out if you'd like, but give us standard swears in our individual languages back please, you're killing the conversation and thus community in chat.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    @mdmnk0
    You may want to check the official announcement regarding the filter.

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/154489/battlefield-v-open-beta-profanity-filter#latest
  • LOLGotYerTags
    edited September 2018
    Ok, Here is a quick mock-up I made of how I could see this being implemented client side.

Gameplay menu.
    k9xTmks.jpg

You will see a new option : "Chat log word filter" with an on/off toggle.. Aswell as an arrow that you click to bring you into a secondary window.

The on/off toggle would work as you would expect, ( toggles the profanity filter on/off )

The arrow, Would take you to a sub-menu where you can customise what words are filtered locally client side.

0T7kkol.jpg

You would type the words you want to be filtered in the boxes, Hit "OK" ( "OK" not visible in my mock up )

e'voila..
    Chat will filter only the words you assign to the client-side enabled word filter.
  • 0KNMDM
    165 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    interesting -- something like that would be nice -- or at a more basic level a off / low / med / high filter
  • MikeManiac61
    718 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 2018
    Ok, Here is a quick mock-up I made of how I could see this being implemented client side.

Gameplay menu.
    k9xTmks.jpg

You will see a new option : "Chat log word filter" with an on/off toggle.. Aswell as an arrow that you click to bring you into a secondary window.

The on/off toggle would work as you would expect, ( toggles the profanity filter on/off )

The arrow, Would take you to a sub-menu where you can customise what words are filtered locally client side.

0T7kkol.jpg

You would type the words you want to be filtered in the boxes, Hit "OK" ( "OK" not visible in my mock up )

e'voila..
    Chat will filter only the words you assign to the client-side enabled word filter.

Thanks, Lol! Is it in the beta now or will this be at launch?
  • TEKNOCODE
    10761 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Gameplay menu.
    k9xTmks.jpg

0T7kkol.jpg

e'voila..
    Can we add one of those here so I can tell people how I really feel?

Please Tags. Pretty please. I’ll even place sugar on top.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    Thanks, Lol! Is it in the beta now or will this be at launch?

Alas, Just a mockup.. It's not actually ingame, I've recreated the gameplay menu and added it in on paint.net

I could see it working out though, It'd please those who don't want to see profanity, And those who don't mind it can keep the filter off.
  • WunderKatze
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    "So does" is censored for me.

I wish they at least have an option to turn it off.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    "So does" is censored for me.

I wish they at least have an option to turn it off.

That's what the thread is about :)
  • Crimsonforce66
    44 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited September 2018
    i'll just leave this here so we all know where EA is going with this "Filter"
    white-vs-black-1.jpg
  • DaveTheBrave_USA
    147 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

not really, you can get arrested for disturbing the peace by using abusive language in public.

In what country? Not in America. Profanity may be low class but it's not abusive. Abuse is calling someone a name or using racial slurs.
This discussion has been closed.