What's the best feeling shooter you've ever played?

2»

Comments

• MUH_Cwywardwaah
    1083 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Probably Doom 2016. As far as shooters go in their purest, simplest forms go. Off the top of my head at least.

No shooter is without its quirks though. In fact sometimes the quirks make the game. My favorite shooter is still CoD MW2 and most of us know how jacked up that game was. But i dont think it would have been as enjoyable if it wasn't for the terrible balance, low TTK, and bugs galore.

I think Doom 2016 was nothing short of a revolution to the genre for single player. We've had the same old CoD style rail shooter for more than a decade as the default for FPS, and I can't think of any other game that broke that orthodoxy like Doom 2016. For the single player it's easiest the best FPS of the decade, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

I love Doom 2016 but it suffers the same linear rail shot em up trough out its campaign.
  • Alphazetamu
    692 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Probably Doom 2016. As far as shooters go in their purest, simplest forms go. Off the top of my head at least.

No shooter is without its quirks though. In fact sometimes the quirks make the game. My favorite shooter is still CoD MW2 and most of us know how jacked up that game was. But i dont think it would have been as enjoyable if it wasn't for the terrible balance, low TTK, and bugs galore.

I think Doom 2016 was nothing short of a revolution to the genre for single player. We've had the same old CoD style rail shooter for more than a decade as the default for FPS, and I can't think of any other game that broke that orthodoxy like Doom 2016. For the single player it's easiest the best FPS of the decade, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

I love Doom 2016 but it suffers the same linear rail shot em up trough out its campaign.

I don't know what you mean - you have to explore a map to find the keys and secrets, health and ammo. Plus you have the leveling up of the weapons and the suit, and the runes. Agreed, there's a beginning and an end, but I wouldn't call it rail shooter in the same way that cod is.
  • MUH_Cwywardwaah
    1083 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

I don't know what you mean - you have to explore a map to find the keys and secrets, health and ammo. Plus you have the leveling up of the weapons and the suit, and the runes. Agreed, there's a beginning and an end, but I wouldn't call it rail shooter in the same way that cod is.

That only applies to certain maps, like foundry, argent facility (undestroyed and destroyed) and the first hell map. After that maps more get linear with some tidbits added. Try resource operations, Lazarus labs or argent tower for example once you get to certain parts you cant backtrack so you just keep following the "rail". Sure the maps are more diverse in their construction than cod, but the same principal is there.
  • CRAZY_EVAN1
    168 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    god battlefield 4 campaign is a bit glitchy?
  • Jonny_ChaosMCR
    1350 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It's not clear what you get killed by either. 80% of the time you're scratching your head cos it doesn't show what happened.
  • AldirTheBlood
    86 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited September 2018
    Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. I still play it all the time almost ten years later.

No silly gimmicks. No unlockables. No bullet sponges.

Pure skill and slow paced tactical immersion. The last real tactical shooter on console that I can think of.

GRAW 2, Halo 3 and Frontlines: Fuel of War are right behind it.