Why has Spotting been changed

Comments

• MiNiMaL_NL
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Shooting Doritos was getting old. Get used to it and start flanking! Not being seen by the entire enemy team after firing shots should work in your favor.
  • TEKNOCODE
    11592 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    MiNiMaL_NL wrote: »
    Shooting Doritos was getting old. Get used to it and start flanking! Not being seen by the entire enemy team after firing shots should work in your favor.

Mmm, flanking behind a group of unsuspecting enemies.

You get a death

You get a death

You get a death

Everyone gets a death!
  • Rev0verDrive
    6761 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    Spotting should only be a generalized marker at a 3D location. Markers should only represent a location in 3D space. Period.

Markers shouldn't be overly bright either. If their purpose is to notify your squad there's activity/person/vehicle in X direction then they should be representable as such.

"Hey guys there's something over here" -> Points -> marker positioned at point location.

It's up to the squad members to look and identify.
  • TEKNOCODE
    11592 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Spotting should only be a generalized marker at a 3D location. Markers should only represent a location in 3D space. Period.

Markers shouldn't be overly bright either. If their purpose is to notify your squad there's activity/person/vehicle in X direction then they should be representable as such.

"Hey guys there's something over here" -> Points -> marker positioned at point location.

Just like siege.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6761 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    TEKNOCODE wrote: »

Just like siege.

I haven't played Siege so I don't know how it works. If spotting auto pinpoints, marks and tracks players then no.

When you hit your spotting key it should execute a single line trace, not a multi sphere trace or any other over a radial space. A single line trace. Regardless of what it hits (collides with) a marker is placed. Press again and the current marker is removed and a new one is placed at the new location.
  • TEKNOCODE
    TEKNOCODE wrote: »

Just like siege.

I haven't played Siege so I don't know how it works. If spotting auto pinpoints, marks and tracks players then no.

When you hit your spotting key it should execute a single line trace, not a multi sphere trace or any other over a radial space. A single line trace. Regardless of what it hits (collides with) a marker is placed. Press again and the current marker is removed and a new one is placed at the new location.
    That’s how siege essentially works. Marker where you place it. If you place another, the first is removed.
  • INCUBA3E-BF
    1944 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    There is 3d spotting of sorts

Scout scope can 3d spot, peronally needs to be clearer/larger icon

Suppression 3d spots briefly as well (multiple red marks above head) well that's the only time I can get it to work anyway when playing as support and laning an enemy

I don't think 3d spotting should make a come back at all, but maybe allow the red flag spotting marker to be a bit more forgiving when spotting an enemy for the team, currently it only works if you're pixel perfect, and with the awful ADS dead zones, it's tricky to get right, add to that that even windows block your spot lol
  • Rev0verDrive
    There is 3d spotting of sorts

Scout scope can 3d spot, peronally needs to be clearer/larger icon

Suppression 3d spots briefly as well (multiple red marks above head) well that's the only time I can get it to work anyway when playing as support and laning an enemy

I don't think 3d spotting should make a come back at all, but maybe allow the red flag spotting marker to be a bit more forgiving when spotting an enemy for the team, currently it only works if you're pixel perfect, and with the awful ADS dead zones, it's tricky to get right, add to that that even windows block your spot lol

Windows block your spots because they are using a simple line trace and only marking on pawn collision. Window geometry causes a collision and stops the line trace.

Flares use a sphere trace. Sphere traces mark all pawns inside the radial bounds of the sphere.
  • BL4CK_W4LL_
    803 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Battlefield was better with spotting. Even if just for personal use. So much going on in the game with the detailed enviroments, spotting was a nice way to not lose your targets so easily. I grt why people don't want to be lit up for the entire enemy team though.

Snipers feel crazy overpowered in this battlefield though with the lack of scope glare and no spotting feature for infantry. This also might be the first battlefield where the soldier camos actually made people near invisible at a distance. I had an easier time finding prone enemies in BF1's sandstorm than in the snow in BF5
  • InnerD
    879 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Battlefield was better with spotting. Even if just for personal use. So much going on in the game with the detailed enviroments, spotting was a nice way to not lose your targets so easily. I grt why people don't want to be lit up for the entire enemy team though.

Snipers feel crazy overpowered in this battlefield though with the lack of scope glare and no spotting feature for infantry. This also might be the first battlefield where the soldier camos actually made people near invisible at a distance. I had an easier time finding prone enemies in BF1's sandstorm than in the snow in BF5

snipers do have scope glare though on long range scopes. Most of them are using the medium range scopes though.
  • crabman169
    12848 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    crabman169 wrote: »
    Have you played cod?

Oh look another one who can't play the game without their 3d spotting crutch

Hmmm..

Funnily enough you can still spot and even mark areas. Scout can use their binos to 3D spot without even needing to press a button and they just drown in points

You can't say you haven't spotted a ton in past BF games you're being kind of a hypocrite here saying that, I spotted a hell of a lot I would go as far as to say that I had more spotting medals than anyone in most matches I play in other BF games.

Oh man now I'm getting flashbacks of pushing campers off rooftops with my MAV...

The hypocritical part would be me actually relaying on 3D spotting to actually see and kill people. It don't need it so not a hypocrite. Else every single person that ever played a battlefield would be a hypocrite for using the mechanics in the game. I loved how bf1 increased the height requirement to pull the parachute (still wouldve prefered pilot only) and bfv too. Does it make me a hypocrite for pulling the parachute at 2m in bf4? No of course not.

Ive said since I joined the forums in bf4 that I would love a return to bf2 spotting where you can mark a spot where you reckon something was; there was an entire spotting wheel of things. You say you Saw a boat on top of a crane. And if you actually spotted something it was 2D spotted on the map for a bit.
    We've pretty much got exactly that with extra info such as location name and distance (a thing we've never had before). I mean you can easily abuse the distance marker for your kit. Oh I say a dude in the rubble over there its.... 65m away that's fine to use my MP40 at etc.

I spotted in previous titles to alert my teammates and nothing was more frustrating than them being completely obvious to it. Playing with friends I still spotted but if I didn't get the spot I'd still make callouts.

Siege's ping is I would say a great example of location spotting/marking. You can ping places and any spot on an enemy you do make only marks the exact location they got pinged. So unless you are constantly pinging them and keeping a live ping on their trail that Marker doesn't reveal exactly where they are only where they were. Sometimes they stay in the exact spot

• Man_ILoveFishing
    406 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    Incredibly stupid, i mean, i spot not for my self only, also for team mates to help me to get rid of enemy or be aware, atm its so poor and stupid cat and mouse chase. All i need is INFORMATION ON MY MINIMAP or WHEN I SPOT, PEOPLE ACTUALLY HELP, NOT TO RESPAWN AND DIE TO THE SAME WISE GUY. I'm active recon player and move a lot. I scope, i see enemy, i press q and all i hear is blablabla yelling and nothing happens.
  • AnzacPete
    242 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 2018
    I haven't got the hang of the new spotting wheel at all. I'm useless with it and half the time I get killed using it. I'm refraining from using it as it's not intuitive to me atm.

Spotting wheel? Seriously whats that? I've just been pressing 's' when using the monocular which didn't seem right. Crap.
    Can somebody please tell me how to use this tool.
  • InnerD
    879 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    AnzacPete wrote: »
    I haven't got the hang of the new spotting wheel at all. I'm useless with it and half the time I get killed using it. I'm refraining from using it as it's not intuitive to me atm.

Spotting wheel? Seriously whats that? I've just been pressing 's' when using the monocular which didn't seem right. Crap.
    Can somebody please tell me how to use this tool.

all it takes is looking in their general direction. You can even spot them behind sand bags.
  • xXCA_RageXx
    1038 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Crazy powerful? Lmao all I here on the forums is people complaining they are too weak. To me they seem pretty balanced now. You actually have to find a sniper instead of pressing the spot button until you had a dorito to shoot at.
  • xhairs999
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    crabman169 wrote: »
    Funnily enough you can still spot and even mark areas. Scout can use their binos to 3D spot without even needing to press a button and they just drown in points

This. I sat next to my friend spotting for him. Wracked up 5k more points than he did, had way less kills but had a lot of fun
  • Lord_Beelzebub1
    240 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 2018
    I’m glad 3D spotting is gone. That feature is for noobs and point hores. Give me a break, I spot an enemy and now all of a sudden my entire team can just follow a red marker on the screen to get an easy kill? That’s noob game play all day every day. Now you actually have to play with skill and find and track your targets.
  • Rev0verDrive
    I’m glad 3D spitting is gone. That feature is for noobs and point hores. Give me a break, I spot an enemy and now all of a sudden my entire team can just follow a red marker on the screen to get an easy kill? That’s noob game play all day every day. Now you actually have to play with skill and find and track your targets.

Been saying it for years. I'm glad most of the original mechanics are back.
  • von_Campenstein
    6621 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I’m glad 3D spitting is gone. That feature is for noobs and point hores. Give me a break, I spot an enemy and now all of a sudden my entire team can just follow a red marker on the screen to get an easy kill? That’s noob game play all day every day. Now you actually have to play with skill and find and track your targets.

I don't know I spot people en masse yet seldom step on the objective if there are enough people capping it already. A lot of visual clutter made the dorito necessary if you don't want to run with a scope.
  • TEKNOCODE

Been saying it for years. I'm glad most of the original mechanics are back.

Bro, apparently this is the most cod and/or kiddie bf ever.

Limited ammo, limited Doritos, limited heath regen. Yip...