question for the upgrade system complainers

Hay-its-dudeman
364 postsMember Member
edited September 14
A lot of complaining seems to be going on about how "unfair" an experienced-based weapon upgrade system will be for new players.

Just wondering how many of you complainers play fortnite, the game where the existence of building mechanics makes the game utterly impossible to win when compared to experienced players.

Fortnite is the most popular game in the world, apparently, and all the influx of new players seem to keep playing despite the monstrous skill gap between them and any "experienced" player from the building system.

I highly doubt the sincerity of the complainers' concerns, if you guys are playing games like fortnite.

I'm not advocating either way (I do like the current system), but it just dawned on me while playing fortnite with newer players that at least some complainers here are probably not letting their right hand know what their left hand is doing, in regards to their complaining.

So, do you guys play fortnite? And what is your opinion on the skill gap between new and experienced players that exists in that game?

Do you treat that feature differently than the upgrade system in BF5? If so, why?
Post edited by Hay-its-dudeman on

Comments

• Foot_Guard_Tomei
    376 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Fortnite? Nope. Played few rounds and didn't like the "meta" of jumping around and high ground wall building.

My problem is that having (supposedly) flat bonuses to base weapon statistics is big no-no. Each attachment must come with upsides and downsides. Second thing is that my latter point does not make sense since with unequippable upgrade path upgrades there's no point of having downsides since you can't choose what you want into your weapon. You have to follow the upgrade path. Third thing is that I don't want that players are able to equip so many bonuses to their weapons at the same time helping in too many handling characteristics taking away challenge of using a weapon.
  • Hawxxeye
    2081 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 14
    The weapon upgrades are not skill gap differences. They are a mix of things that should be baseline along with some actual specialization choices.
  • KriZ_Rul3Z
    278 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Skill gap is fine, giving better weapons has nothing to do with skill.

The upgrade system is garbage.
  • KriZ_Rul3Z wrote: »
    Skill gap is fine, giving better weapons has nothing to do with skill.

The upgrade system is garbage.

how long did it take you to upgrade your weapons, generally?

I wasn't an early access player, but I leveled up most of my guns in 3 rounds or less.

That's cake, imo.

But, maybe the counter-balance feature is needed.
  • Zviko0
    842 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I don't have a problem with that but comparing pay to win/play to win with skill? Really?
  • zenn_nme
    271 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Fortnite? Nah, not my cup-of-tea. Anyway, there will be always an experience skill gap between players; some who know how to use weapons and those who don't.
    In BFV however, the 'upgrade skilltree' only gives upgrades to weapons without any downgrades; I don't support that.
    I'd rather see an 'upgrade' system as in BF3/BF4/BFH; balancing out weapons with attachments, with both positive/negative effects on its weapon handeling properties.
    Or at least do the same when going with the 'upgrade skilltree'. Also; skilltree reimbursement, possibility to correct (reimburse) an upgrade? And skilltree duality/multi-route; possibility for doing both sides of the skilltree at the same time? Or even the ability to 'skip' an upgrade?
  • Soulbreeze
    225 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 14
    Never played Fortnite and don't want to. I don't care for the BFV upgrade system myself. However, since you can only go down one line, it kind of has downsides in that you can't use the other upgrades. So someone who's set up for cqc hipfire is at a disadvantage against someone set up for mid-range ads engagements in those engagements and vice versa. I think the advantage of upgraded vs not upgraded will be so short lived as to not matter.
  • jlayton1982
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don't think a player should be able to unlock reduced horizontal recoil, vertical recoil and improved accuracy on the move on any one gun. It reduces skill from the game.
  • Bossman1794
    1070 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    If they keep the progression rate the same as in the beta then there is nothing to worry about. I managed to bring a ton of weapons to fully upgraded even during the beta.

Most average joes in video games only ever stick to the same few weapons that are considered OP anyway.
  • smokintom214
    911 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I've said this many times before about the upgrades and many people say that there's going to be a skill Gap in between veteran players of Battlefield 5 and new ones coming in 6 months or a year down the road. I strongly disagree.

While I was playing the beta it did not take me very long to upgrade any weapon to level 5 which is the requirement to max out the upgrades for any given weapon and by the week's end I had enough currency to all guns except Recon and I also did three tanks with full upgrades in that time. So no there will not be a skill Gap between old and new players coming into the game if they keep the current configuration of weapon upgrades and currency gain from assignments.
  • dmccar1001
    562 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Plus for all we know the best guns will be later during Tides of War … and new players will start with the best guns in the game (at the same time old players get them). This is much fairer then the "pay to play DLC" where people who bought DLC got better vehicles or weapons that they could use on the base maps against players who had no access to these weapons.
  • smokintom214
    911 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    dmccar1001 wrote: »
    Plus for all we know the best guns will be later during Tides of War … and new players will start with the best guns in the game (at the same time old players get them). This is much fairer then the "pay to play DLC" where people who bought DLC got better vehicles or weapons that they could use on the base maps against players who had no access to these weapons.

Is there a source, or is this your assumption?
  • dmccar1001
    562 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    An assumption based on history. The best weapons of the war were the late war weapons. If Tides of War takes us through the war historically (as currently being shown) … we can expect weapons that were introduced later in the war to be added to the game at that time (as well as factions … US/USSR).

The bottom line is that the only way to get people to keep buying customization will be to release better customizations or better items to be customized. From a marketing standpoint everything for sale will continue to be better … just look to Madden/FIFA Ultimate team modes where throughout the year the value of the cards for sales is always getting better.

BFV may not be selling "pay to win" items but they will be releasing better items for the life of the game so there is always something better to customize. If they don't, there will be not be enough customization sales to pay for new content and they'll stop releasing content. And EA is free to release in 6 months weapons that make all the launch weapons obsolete ... they will no longer be accused of being unfair to new players who don't own DLC (future content) … everybody gets the better weapons when they are released. That allows them to keep releasing better weapons (better stats/better loadouts/better anything) for the life of the game.
  • KriZ_Rul3Z
    278 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I thought Dice said they made weapon upgrades a bit faster in Beta so they could test the progression system. It's unclear how long it will take to max out a gun in the final release of the game.

Why could they just stick with BF4's customisation system? It was perfect. Many attachment you could unlock by simply using a gun, and most of them weren't straight upgrades.

Not looking forward to unlocking 3 trees on every gun and vehicle in the game...