LMG discussion.

BGHFlakjacket
1180 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
I would like to get some opinions from others on their use of the LMG's in the game.

My experience with them was that they lacked knockdown power and were very similar to BF1. At range I was getting 17 damage and it felt almost worthless even when on bipod. On several occasions on Narvik I posted in the sandbag bunker overlooking the railway bridge. Range to the flag was 67 meters. I used mag after mag and probably fired several hundred rounds at clearly visible enemy running on the bridge and stationary on the bridge with very little to show for it. On several occasions my hits were giving me 6 damage over and over again. With damage like that it is very difficult to kill even a womp rat.

Suppression? I fire at a sniper and get no hits but 50 suppression, then he domes me for an insta kill.

Bipod.......they need work. LMG mechanics seem very much like BF1, which IMO was a horrid system.

Comments

• smokintom214
    911 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Where was the lmg wall penetration?
  • BGHFlakjacket
    1180 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    FMJ FTW!
  • Matty101yttam
    580 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I find the damage not that bad, and there may be better options later for more power.
    What i did have issue with is how open the bipod leaves you, it really felt useless, as opposed to running around and i think it stems from:

1, being stationary
    2, low ttk
    3, tracers give away position

combine those together and you only get a second or two of fire before you get taken out.
    I think a big fix would be an option to reduce tracer amounts, perhaps as an upgrade, so that the 1st bullet is a tracer and every say 5 bullet is also, this will make finding an lmg slightly slower, not huge amounts but you wont get a straight line of fire pointing in your direction. It has the added benefit of looking more realistic.
    Another system may be to change 'v' in lmg's to tracer rounds ie. remove the ability to select firing modes like full auto,burst and semi(if lmg's have them) and instead have it cycle tracers to every bullet,2nd bullet,5th bullet instead.

Something i'd also love to see(although it wont happen in this) is having the bipod detect proximity to the ammo box, and if its really close(like right next to the gun) have a belt feed appear that goes from the weapon and into the box so then your lmg has 2x regular ammo.
  • Sixclicks
    4111 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 14
    I felt they were pretty well balanced. The only thing I didn't like was the bipod animation of the KE-7. They're still effective for longer ranges, but unlike the OP STG44, they actually have some kick to fight against.

Suppression no longer screws up accuracy. It 3D spots the enemy instead.
  • Hawxxeye
    2081 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I felt they needed larger magazines. they felt more like assault rifles with more kick and bipods than lmgs
  • RaNdOmKils666
    560 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 14
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    I felt they needed larger magazines. they felt more like assault rifles with more kick and bipods than lmgs

^This

DICE should add an extended mag upgrade to all the low capacity LMGS, so basically all the LMGS from the beta. The extended mag should give an extra 15 to 20 rounds, the tradeoff could be 10% slower reload speed.

Also snipers should be prevented from holding their breath while suppressed and make the snipers scope shake around a bit more too.
  • BCGaius
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I had no problems doing well with the LMGs. Bear in mind, the big daddy medium MGs like the MG-34 were not present in the beta build, and those are what you want if you want the true machinegun experience. The LMGs are by design balanced to be lighter automatic weapons that are as much assault rifles as they are machineguns, and are (presumably) the Support's more mobile option.

Wait until we get our hands on the big toys like the MG-34 and M1919 Browning .30 before you pass judgement on the MG balance.
  • TEKNOCODE
    8862 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Bipods need work. I like the bf1 bipod mechanic and this seems like a major step back.

Bren for life.
  • Kirk40k
    2363 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    The damage that LMGs in the Beta had was okay. I expect the full game to have a variety of damage models similar to what BF4 has. Larger caliber doing more damage, but harder to control. While the smaller caliber doing less damage, but easier to keep control of.

Now the LMGs in the Beta only having low round count magazines was a bit of an odd choice to have. If there was typically more than two enemies in my field of fire it was almost impossible to kill more that two, because I had to reload. Either by then the targets would have been out of my line of sight or would have returned fire and killed me.

The loss of suppression, which can effect the aim of your intended target(s), is a huge kick in the jimmy for Support players. It removes any defensive capabilities and turns the LMGs and MMGs into an offensive weapon only. I would hate to see LMGs and MMGs to be used in a manner as just an Assault Rifle with a high capacity magazine that had plagued BF4 for a time.
  • Sixclicks
    4111 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 14
    Also snipers should be prevented from holding their breath while suppressed and make the snipers scope shake around a bit more too.

Nah, that's just ridiculous.

No other class is punished by suppression, and no other class needs to land headshots to reliably get kills.
  • smokintom214
    911 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Heh and still no mention of wall penetration with support guns. Ya'll don't know it was suppose to be in game?
  • Sixclicks
    edited September 14
    Heh and still no mention of wall penetration with support guns. Ya'll don't know it was suppose to be in game?

It was in the game. It reduces damage to almost pointless levels in most cases though, and some surfaces that seem like they should be penetrable aren't.
  • smokintom214
    Sixclicks wrote: »

It was in the game. It reduces damage to almost pointless levels in most cases though, and some surfaces that seem like they should be penetrable aren't.

I tested it for alittle, I never got any hit points or saw markers, even tho I knew someone was there..
  • Sixclicks
    edited September 14

I tested it for alittle, I never got any hit points or saw markers, even tho I knew someone was there..

This post has a clip of it working with the KE-7. https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/9dvhck/bullet_penetration_thank_you_dice/

I know it also definitely works with bolt actions.

• Hawxxeye
    2081 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

This post has a clip of it working with the KE-7. https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/9dvhck/bullet_penetration_thank_you_dice/

Now that I think of it, I have been shot through thin barriers i the beta
  • smokintom214

It would definitely clear up any complaints about being shot through walls, I just wasn't sure if they kept their word on the idea they mentioned at the reveal in may
  • Sixclicks

It would definitely clear up any complaints about being shot through walls, I just wasn't sure if they kept their word on the idea they mentioned at the reveal in may

It'll definitely curb some of those complaints, but I already saw a guy complaining about getting shot around corners because he had taken cover behind a destroyed tank (bullets definitely shouldn't be penetrating that).
  • SergeantGekko
    72 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

^This

DICE should add an extended mag upgrade to all the low capacity LMGS, so basically all the LMGS from the beta. The extended mag should give an extra 15 to 20 rounds, the tradeoff could be 10% slower reload speed.

Well those LMGs have that size of a mag, like FG42 it had mag sizes of 10 or 20. So it's hard to add mag size of 80 for that. Same goes with Browning BAR, just aim better :smiley: I think Mag size in FG42 was easily enough to kill 2-3 enemies in one reload.
  • RaNdOmKils666
    560 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 14

^This

Well those LMGs have that size of a mag, like FG42 it had mag sizes of 10 or 20. So it's hard to add mag size of 80 for that. Same goes with Browning BAR, just aim better :smiley: I think Mag size in FG42 was easily enough to kill 2-3 enemies in one reload.

I didn't say to add 80 rounds to the low capacity LMGs, i just said add an extended mag option with 15 to 20 extra rounds for those of us that like to use LMGs like slightly less accurate ARs with bigger magazines and better suppression capabilities. I don't think a Bren gun with 45 bullets, instead of 30 bullets will break the game in any way, plus i offered a 10% slower reload speed as a trade-off for using extended mags.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia the Bren gun could be fitted with a 100 round pan magazine, i hope DICE adds this as well, although it should increase the reload time even further.
  • SergeantGekko
    72 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

^This

I didn't say to add 80 rounds to the low capacity LMGs, i just said add an extended mag option with 15 to 20 extra rounds for those of us that like to use LMGs like slightly less accurate ARs with bigger magazines and better suppression capabilities. I don't think a Bren gun with 45 bullets, instead of 30 bullets will break the game in any way, plus i offered a 10% slower reload speed as a trade-off for using extended mags.

Yes I see what you mean and why. Though I still think that it's just a good thing to be loyal to actual gun design in real life. Let's see what we will have on the actual launch. And I'd say that you'll see these options with at least some of the LMG's like MG42 has feed options of 50/250 rounds (in the real life at least)