Some Horsing thoughts

2

Comments

  • Forkbeard84
    1618 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    @Puckerbucket I admit to not being much of a duelist with other cavalry. If they bring out the rifle, I'm going to automatically take them on. Otherwise, my usual strategy is to run away if they are not interested or if they follow, I'll lure them back to my teammates and then help my teammates kill them. I've noticed it takes two to tango (or duel) and I can always run away from someone that wants to duel me if I so choose.

    Thanks very much for the lance tips. I have watched the Killzone video in the past and just watched it again. That's how I managed to get the one service star on the lance. It's funny though as soon as I went back to the sword, I realized how much the sword brings the trample into play because in order to hit with the sword you have to get your horse really close to the enemy. So if you miss the sword, you often get the trample. I didn't feel like you often get the trample when you miss with the lance, but maybe I'm not being fair to the lance and I obviously don't have a lot of experience with the lance. But still the sword is an old friend and maybe an old crutch for me. I suppose I need to make a video to really show what I am talking about for running a trample/sword based horse. It may not be optimal but it can work pretty well.

    Glad to hear @RomioiStrategos is having a daughter and doing well. Too bad we are not all on the same platform. (I'm on PS4) It would be really fun to play together.
  • Puckerbucket
    694 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Why can't you hit the rider or horse with a hand held weapon?
    for the same reason you can't stand in the middle of the interstate and threaten a 75 mph car with a hammer.
  • Hawxxeye
    6378 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    Well from my point of view a horse is just machinegun bullet/AT shell fodder with usually fewer spawn slots than bulletproof vehicles. It is a very fun concept though. If only the way it fights in melee was less clunky...

    On a horse I feel the safest far from infantry with full auto weapons where they cannot spray the horse to death so easily, using the rifle to shoot at them as well as lobbing the grenades at their location. So I am more of a fire support horseman who is countersniping enemy camping scouts and helps the team push or defend.
    Post edited by Hawxxeye on
  • trm6
    278 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Hey @Forkbeard84 good to see you my old friend! Yup, still riding and sticking! RomioStrategos is still in my platoon, but he doesn't play often these days, as he just welcomed his second young daughter into the world..
    With regard to the lance, you simply MUST watch Killzone's videos. Not sure if he still has the #1 ranking because I haven't checked in a while, but he's amazing, and watching his videos really took me from being a good rider to being a much better rider.
    The "Lance Advanced Guide" made it crystal clear to me how and why I should be using that loadout, and I was never able to go back to the sword after that. These days, when an enemy rider shows me his sword or points his rifle at me, I laugh a little, because I KNOW I'm going to win that duel.
    https://youtube.com/results?search_query=killzone+cavalry

    Hadn't played in 3 weeks and matched you yesterday pucker, had no issue taking you out with the sword vs your lance ;) but the lance is definitely better for cav on cav combat. I agree with fork, the sword swings tight and you can afford to miss because generally you are awarded with the roadkill anyways. The lance is great if you can hit on the first swing. As for prone players I just 1 shot them or one shot nade them. There is no defense for the nade/shot combo, they just cannot escape the nade in time. Another thing to be noted in cav vs cav combat is if you can throw the nades well, usually an instant kill on the rider. A very satisfying way to kill.

    Good to see the unsung cav players still riding.
  • Hawxxeye
    6378 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    trm6 wrote: »
    Hey @Forkbeard84 good to see you my old friend! Yup, still riding and sticking! RomioStrategos is still in my platoon, but he doesn't play often these days, as he just welcomed his second young daughter into the world..
    With regard to the lance, you simply MUST watch Killzone's videos. Not sure if he still has the #1 ranking because I haven't checked in a while, but he's amazing, and watching his videos really took me from being a good rider to being a much better rider.
    The "Lance Advanced Guide" made it crystal clear to me how and why I should be using that loadout, and I was never able to go back to the sword after that. These days, when an enemy rider shows me his sword or points his rifle at me, I laugh a little, because I KNOW I'm going to win that duel.
    https://youtube.com/results?search_query=killzone+cavalry

    Hadn't played in 3 weeks and matched you yesterday pucker, had no issue taking you out with the sword vs your lance ;) but the lance is definitely better for cav on cav combat. I agree with fork, the sword swings tight and you can afford to miss because generally you are awarded with the roadkill anyways. The lance is great if you can hit on the first swing. As for prone players I just 1 shot them or one shot nade them. There is no defense for the nade/shot combo, they just cannot escape the nade in time. Another thing to be noted in cav vs cav combat is if you can throw the nades well, usually an instant kill on the rider. A very satisfying way to kill.

    Good to see the unsung cav players still riding.

    Since I decided to avoid melee combat I decided to fight the other cavalry by running away while shooting at them and throwing grenades, hit and ride away, mongolian tactics style
    For some reason most cavalry users are bad at using their rifle or dealing with cavalry that do not wish to engage in melee combat
  • trm6
    278 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    @Puckerbucket I admit to not being much of a duelist with other cavalry. If they bring out the rifle, I'm going to automatically take them on. Otherwise, my usual strategy is to run away if they are not interested or if they follow, I'll lure them back to my teammates and then help my teammates kill them. I've noticed it takes two to tango (or duel) and I can always run away from someone that wants to duel me if I so choose.

    Thanks very much for the lance tips. I have watched the Killzone video in the past and just watched it again. That's how I managed to get the one service star on the lance. It's funny though as soon as I went back to the sword, I realized how much the sword brings the trample into play because in order to hit with the sword you have to get your horse really close to the enemy. So if you miss the sword, you often get the trample. I didn't feel like you often get the trample when you miss with the lance, but maybe I'm not being fair to the lance and I obviously don't have a lot of experience with the lance. But still the sword is an old friend and maybe an old crutch for me. I suppose I need to make a video to really show what I am talking about for running a trample/sword based horse. It may not be optimal but it can work pretty well.

    Glad to hear @RomioiStrategos is having a daughter and doing well. Too bad we are not all on the same platform. (I'm on PS4) It would be really fun to play together.

    I completely understand what you mean by swing/trampling as I call it. Players tend to try and avoid the sword and step in front of the horse instead. I just prefer the speed of the sword over the lance, but the lance is definitely more precise.
  • trm6
    278 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    trm6 wrote: »
    Hey @Forkbeard84 good to see you my old friend! Yup, still riding and sticking! RomioStrategos is still in my platoon, but he doesn't play often these days, as he just welcomed his second young daughter into the world..
    With regard to the lance, you simply MUST watch Killzone's videos. Not sure if he still has the #1 ranking because I haven't checked in a while, but he's amazing, and watching his videos really took me from being a good rider to being a much better rider.
    The "Lance Advanced Guide" made it crystal clear to me how and why I should be using that loadout, and I was never able to go back to the sword after that. These days, when an enemy rider shows me his sword or points his rifle at me, I laugh a little, because I KNOW I'm going to win that duel.
    https://youtube.com/results?search_query=killzone+cavalry

    Hadn't played in 3 weeks and matched you yesterday pucker, had no issue taking you out with the sword vs your lance ;) but the lance is definitely better for cav on cav combat. I agree with fork, the sword swings tight and you can afford to miss because generally you are awarded with the roadkill anyways. The lance is great if you can hit on the first swing. As for prone players I just 1 shot them or one shot nade them. There is no defense for the nade/shot combo, they just cannot escape the nade in time. Another thing to be noted in cav vs cav combat is if you can throw the nades well, usually an instant kill on the rider. A very satisfying way to kill.

    Good to see the unsung cav players still riding.

    Since I decided to avoid melee combat I decided to fight the other cavalry by running away while shooting at them and throwing grenades, hit and ride away, mongolian tactics style
    For some reason most cavalry users are bad at using their rifle or dealing with cavalry that do not wish to engage in melee combat

    Best way to improve rifle aim is to make sure you line your shot up over your shoulder slightly offset to the right or left and aim just below center mass. The cav rifle barely has drop and any shot to them- arm, leg, chest at the distance is usually a 70+ hit. Also the ROF is good enough where if you hit the first just line up the second and its easy pickings. Yes most players if you face them up arent worth melee killing. Scouts can drop tripwire, assault with rocket gun or tnt, support with bipods and the medics well, they are just plain meat for me hahaha. I have 40% accuracy with the cav rifle and 6.8 kpm. Its a beast weapon.
  • DonSharkito
    797 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    In cavalry duels forget about the sword or lance, the light AT grenades is what makes me win >90% of my "dogfights". Even if you get only one on the opposing enemy, you just need a few bullets from the rifle to finish them up.
  • DonSharkito
    797 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    trm6 wrote: »
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    trm6 wrote: »
    Hey @Forkbeard84 good to see you my old friend! Yup, still riding and sticking! RomioStrategos is still in my platoon, but he doesn't play often these days, as he just welcomed his second young daughter into the world..
    With regard to the lance, you simply MUST watch Killzone's videos. Not sure if he still has the #1 ranking because I haven't checked in a while, but he's amazing, and watching his videos really took me from being a good rider to being a much better rider.
    The "Lance Advanced Guide" made it crystal clear to me how and why I should be using that loadout, and I was never able to go back to the sword after that. These days, when an enemy rider shows me his sword or points his rifle at me, I laugh a little, because I KNOW I'm going to win that duel.
    https://youtube.com/results?search_query=killzone+cavalry

    Hadn't played in 3 weeks and matched you yesterday pucker, had no issue taking you out with the sword vs your lance ;) but the lance is definitely better for cav on cav combat. I agree with fork, the sword swings tight and you can afford to miss because generally you are awarded with the roadkill anyways. The lance is great if you can hit on the first swing. As for prone players I just 1 shot them or one shot nade them. There is no defense for the nade/shot combo, they just cannot escape the nade in time. Another thing to be noted in cav vs cav combat is if you can throw the nades well, usually an instant kill on the rider. A very satisfying way to kill.

    Good to see the unsung cav players still riding.

    Since I decided to avoid melee combat I decided to fight the other cavalry by running away while shooting at them and throwing grenades, hit and ride away, mongolian tactics style
    For some reason most cavalry users are bad at using their rifle or dealing with cavalry that do not wish to engage in melee combat

    Best way to improve rifle aim is to make sure you line your shot up over your shoulder slightly offset to the right or left and aim just below center mass. The cav rifle barely has drop and any shot to them- arm, leg, chest at the distance is usually a 70+ hit. Also the ROF is good enough where if you hit the first just line up the second and its easy pickings. Yes most players if you face them up arent worth melee killing. Scouts can drop tripwire, assault with rocket gun or tnt, support with bipods and the medics well, they are just plain meat for me hahaha. I have 40% accuracy with the cav rifle and 6.8 kpm. Its a beast weapon.

    Agreed on the last bits.

    The "current" most efficient way to play cavalry (imo, top 40 global cav player) is using the rifle while mounted along with AT grenades. It takes a while to get used to, but it is eventually a lot more efficient (as you can kill from 0 to 70m quickly) and a lot less risky than playing with the lance or sword, which require you to come upclose to the enemy and increase drastically your chances of being melt by various stuff.

    I still like to go yolo sometimes with the lance, it is funny, but too much risk involved compared to the reward vs a rifle only playstyle.

  • Forkbeard84
    1618 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    trm6 wrote: »
    @Puckerbucket I admit to not being much of a duelist with other cavalry. If they bring out the rifle, I'm going to automatically take them on. Otherwise, my usual strategy is to run away if they are not interested or if they follow, I'll lure them back to my teammates and then help my teammates kill them. I've noticed it takes two to tango (or duel) and I can always run away from someone that wants to duel me if I so choose.

    Thanks very much for the lance tips. I have watched the Killzone video in the past and just watched it again. That's how I managed to get the one service star on the lance. It's funny though as soon as I went back to the sword, I realized how much the sword brings the trample into play because in order to hit with the sword you have to get your horse really close to the enemy. So if you miss the sword, you often get the trample. I didn't feel like you often get the trample when you miss with the lance, but maybe I'm not being fair to the lance and I obviously don't have a lot of experience with the lance. But still the sword is an old friend and maybe an old crutch for me. I suppose I need to make a video to really show what I am talking about for running a trample/sword based horse. It may not be optimal but it can work pretty well.

    Glad to hear @RomioiStrategos is having a daughter and doing well. Too bad we are not all on the same platform. (I'm on PS4) It would be really fun to play together.

    I completely understand what you mean by swing/trampling as I call it. Players tend to try and avoid the sword and step in front of the horse instead. I just prefer the speed of the sword over the lance, but the lance is definitely more precise.

    Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about @trm6 ! It's really a horse build that is focused on getting trample kills. You use the sword to enhance the trample because it swings so quick and its got a very narrow range, it forces you to bear down close on the enemy. So if you don't get the sword hit you get the trample and sometimes if you don't get the trample you get the sword hit. They go hand in hand very well. It really is a trample focused build because I probably get 60% to 70% trample kills and 30% to 40% sword kills. The act of aiming the sword and swinging it also brings your horse into good trample alignment. A lot of times it looks just like my sword killed them but the kill indicator says it was a trample. I've decided I don't care how it says I killed em as long as I get the kill! Thanks for the recognition of this method for using the sword.

    Also, I'm not saying the sword is better than the lance. But I do think the sword can be used effectively when combined with the trample. I don't think the lance can be used with the trample as nicely as the sword can. Both lance and sword builds can be used effectively, they just require different styles. I am going to make a video. Just gotta get around to it.
  • Forkbeard84
    1618 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    In cavalry duels forget about the sword or lance, the light AT grenades is what makes me win >90% of my "dogfights". Even if you get only one on the opposing enemy, you just need a few bullets from the rifle to finish them up.

    @DonSharkito, I believe you that the grenades can be effective. But, I always have a hard time connecting with them when I'm in a duel. Have you made any videos of your style? I'd like to watch.

    I think all of us serious horse riders use the grenades quite a bit. I know I use them more than I used to and have gotten much better with them. Always throw two at a time. And they are great for taking out vehicles and sometimes infantry and for flushing the enemy out of buildings and making prone enemies stand up, etc. Grenade spam, spam, spam. And they are a great distraction. So many times when I'm getting shot by enemies in a sketchy situation and I throw a couple of grenades at their feet, it allows me to run away mostly undamaged because they are now busy moving away from my grenades.

    I've never taken out a plane with a grenade like our friend @Puckerbucket has. But I'm gonna give it a try now.
    trm6 wrote: »
    @Puckerbucket I admit to not being much of a duelist with other cavalry. If they bring out the rifle, I'm going to automatically take them on. Otherwise, my usual strategy is to run away if they are not interested or if they follow, I'll lure them back to my teammates and then help my teammates kill them. I've noticed it takes two to tango (or duel) and I can always run away from someone that wants to duel me if I so choose.

    Thanks very much for the lance tips. I have watched the Killzone video in the past and just watched it again. That's how I managed to get the one service star on the lance. It's funny though as soon as I went back to the sword, I realized how much the sword brings the trample into play because in order to hit with the sword you have to get your horse really close to the enemy. So if you miss the sword, you often get the trample. I didn't feel like you often get the trample when you miss with the lance, but maybe I'm not being fair to the lance and I obviously don't have a lot of experience with the lance. But still the sword is an old friend and maybe an old crutch for me. I suppose I need to make a video to really show what I am talking about for running a trample/sword based horse. It may not be optimal but it can work pretty well.

    Glad to hear @RomioiStrategos is having a daughter and doing well. Too bad we are not all on the same platform. (I'm on PS4) It would be really fun to play together.

    I completely understand what you mean by swing/trampling as I call it. Players tend to try and avoid the sword and step in front of the horse instead. I just prefer the speed of the sword over the lance, but the lance is definitely more precise.

    Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about @trm6 ! It's really a horse build that is focused on getting trample kills. You use the sword to enhance the trample because it swings so quick and its got a very narrow range, it forces you to bear down close on the enemy. So if you don't get the sword hit you get the trample and sometimes if you don't get the trample you get the sword hit. They go hand in hand very well. It really is a trample focused build because I probably get 60% to 70% trample kills and 30% to 40% sword kills. The act of aiming the sword and swinging it also brings your horse into good trample alignment. A lot of times it looks just like my sword killed them but the kill indicator says it was a trample. I've decided I don't care how it says I killed em as long as I get the kill! Thanks for the recognition of this method for using the sword.

    Also, I'm not saying the sword is better than the lance. But I do think the sword can be used effectively when combined with the trample. I don't think the lance can be used with the trample as nicely as the sword can. Both lance and sword builds can be used effectively, they just require different styles. I am going to make a video. Just gotta get around to it.
  • Hawxxeye
    6378 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    @Forkbeard84
    Here I have a collection of the rifle and grenade kills done from horseback within 2 rounds of the Tsaritsyn map
    It includes 2 horse kills with grenades and one tank kill. I might add some editing and music to it in the future. The last 3 kills are the most funny imo.
    I am glad that almost nobody in the community of camping scouts knows to use K-bullets vs cavalry to ignore their armor.
  • abc1434286920
    447 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    In cavalry duels forget about the sword or lance, the light AT grenades is what makes me win >90% of my "dogfights". Even if you get only one on the opposing enemy, you just need a few bullets from the rifle to finish them up.

    Funny you say that, yesterday I had another rider catch up with me while running and when he was right next to me he threw 2 nades and killed me. After almost 100hrs on the horse I have never had an instance where I died by nades in such a manner....was always used to nades being thrown when one rider was chasing another and not right next to each other.
    I wonder how he didn't also die from the damage as he was literally next to me.
  • Forkbeard84
    1618 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

    trm6 wrote: »
    @Puckerbucket I admit to not being much of a duelist with other cavalry. If they bring out the rifle, I'm going to automatically take them on. Otherwise, my usual strategy is to run away if they are not interested or if they follow, I'll lure them back to my teammates and then help my teammates kill them. I've noticed it takes two to tango (or duel) and I can always run away from someone that wants to duel me if I so choose.

    Thanks very much for the lance tips. I have watched the Killzone video in the past and just watched it again. That's how I managed to get the one service star on the lance. It's funny though as soon as I went back to the sword, I realized how much the sword brings the trample into play because in order to hit with the sword you have to get your horse really close to the enemy. So if you miss the sword, you often get the trample. I didn't feel like you often get the trample when you miss with the lance, but maybe I'm not being fair to the lance and I obviously don't have a lot of experience with the lance. But still the sword is an old friend and maybe an old crutch for me. I suppose I need to make a video to really show what I am talking about for running a trample/sword based horse. It may not be optimal but it can work pretty well.

    Glad to hear @RomioiStrategos is having a daughter and doing well. Too bad we are not all on the same platform. (I'm on PS4) It would be really fun to play together.

    I completely understand what you mean by swing/trampling as I call it. Players tend to try and avoid the sword and step in front of the horse instead. I just prefer the speed of the sword over the lance, but the lance is definitely more precise.

    Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about @trm6 ! It's really a horse build that is focused on getting trample kills. You use the sword to enhance the trample because it swings so quick and its got a very narrow range, it forces you to bear down close on the enemy. So if you don't get the sword hit you get the trample and sometimes if you don't get the trample you get the sword hit. They go hand in hand very well. It really is a trample focused build because I probably get 60% to 70% trample kills and 30% to 40% sword kills. The act of aiming the sword and swinging it also brings your horse into good trample alignment. A lot of times it looks just like my sword killed them but the kill indicator says it was a trample. I've decided I don't care how it says I killed em as long as I get the kill! Thanks for the recognition of this method for using the sword.

    Also, I'm not saying the sword is better than the lance. But I do think the sword can be used effectively when combined with the trample. I don't think the lance can be used with the trample as nicely as the sword can. Both lance and sword builds can be used effectively, they just require different styles. I am going to make a video. Just gotta get around to it.
  • Forkbeard84
    1618 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    @Forkbeard84
    Here I have a collection of the rifle and grenade kills done from horseback within 2 rounds of the Tsaritsyn map
    It includes 2 horse kills with grenades and one tank kill. I might add some editing and music to it in the future. The last 3 kills are the most funny imo.
    I am glad that almost nobody in the community of camping scouts knows to use K-bullets vs cavalry to ignore their armor.

    Hey great video. I liked watching your rifle and grenade style of horse. A couple of good grenaded horse kills in there and you are a good shot with the rifle. Thanks for posting it.

    Not sure what you mean about the K bullets? Scouts are the class I view as easiest to kill from my trample/sword horse. Some of the tricky ones will put out HE tripwires and lure my horse in, so I watch for that. K bullets? How much damage does one do on horseback?
  • Hawxxeye
    6378 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    @Forkbeard84
    Here I have a collection of the rifle and grenade kills done from horseback within 2 rounds of the Tsaritsyn map
    It includes 2 horse kills with grenades and one tank kill. I might add some editing and music to it in the future. The last 3 kills are the most funny imo.
    I am glad that almost nobody in the community of camping scouts knows to use K-bullets vs cavalry to ignore their armor.

    Hey great video. I liked watching your rifle and grenade style of horse. A couple of good grenaded horse kills in there and you are a good shot with the rifle. Thanks for posting it.

    Not sure what you mean about the K bullets? Scouts are the class I view as easiest to kill from my trample/sword horse. Some of the tricky ones will put out HE tripwires and lure my horse in, so I watch for that. K bullets? How much damage does one do on horseback?
    I have not tried it recently but I think that K bullets allow one to damage the rider as if he was a regular footsoldier. So it might be possible to ohk headshot a rider with k bullets
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    5755 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    My major complain is that back in the day LA promised to make horses more agile and easier to control so every second fence won't be an impossible obstacle for the rider. But instead they've made horses extremely jumpy for no reason and most of the time these days it's even harder to ride unless it's an open field. Cavalry vs cavalry battles are also affected by that "fix" because your horse just jumps over enemy one instead of getting close for melee attack. Well at least you can heal while riding now but I think everybody would prefer to revert all the changes to the state before russian dlc.
  • diagoro
    1562 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Did they adjust damage? I was taking insane damage from 'normal' weapons the one round I just played. An smg took me down to 30% without reloading in one case, and others were doing the same. That said, the sounds were also screwed up, got killed by an art truck, but it sounded like a rifle shot. Maybe the server was just screwed.
  • CS-2107
    1554 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    diagoro wrote: »
    Did they adjust damage? I was taking insane damage from 'normal' weapons the one round I just played. An smg took me down to 30% without reloading in one case, and others were doing the same. That said, the sounds were also screwed up, got killed by an art truck, but it sounded like a rifle shot. Maybe the server was just screwed.

    The Hellriegel and the SMG OP/18 can literally melt a horse in less than 2 seconds.
Sign In or Register to comment.