Weekly BF

Ryzen 2xxx(x) users, try this config setting and share the result please

JRMBelgiumTwitch
749 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
On BF1 you can use certain tweaks. One of wich is the configuration of the amount of threads the game can use. You can add the commands listed below in a User.cfg file in the main BF1 folder. The engine does have certain limits. The game wont run if you're using less then 3 threads and it will also crash when you try to run it with more then 11 threads.
By default, the game is configured so that it uses 4 threads.

I've run this test on only one resolution. That is 1080P, Ultra settings with 130% resolution scale.

k9xifq.jpg

I noticed that with the maximum of 3 threads, my CPU boost went up to 4225Mhz on the active cores but while running 11 threads, the CPU boost went no higher then 3950Mhz.
As you can see, the minimum framerate stayed the same, but the avarage and maximum FPS did increase, providing smoother gameplay. Not only that, power usage was lower and the CPU and case temperature was lower.

thread.processorcount 3
thread.maxprocessorcount 3

My conclusion: Battlefield can use up to 11 threads, but becides increasing CPU usage, they don't benifit the gaming experience at all. That's probably the reason why the game is configured to use 4 threads max by default. 3 threads @ 4.225Mhz provide higher framerates then 11 threads at 3950Mhz. Probably the same reason why Intel is confident about the 9700K, wich has less threads, but higher clockspeeds then the 8700K.

It would be great if other Ryzen 2x users did the same test and share their results.

Comments

• spynylcracka
    409 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The game will crash if you use more than 11 threads, thanks for giving me a good laugh today.
  • JRMBelgiumTwitch
    749 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    The game will crash if you use more than 11 threads, thanks for giving me a good laugh today.

Alright then.

thread.maxprocessorcount 13

Please try to get it working. Make sure to use the command "Render.DrawScreenInfo 1" prooving that your game can use more then 11 threads. It's the current engines limit you noob.
  • Aditrex
    122 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    lol with 2700x you dont need that bs config file lol and that resoult is weak all you need for ryzen is good ram i run 3466 cl 14 with extreme timings performance is way better
  • spynylcracka
    409 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Alright then.

Please try to get it working. Make sure to use the command "Render.DrawScreenInfo 1" prooving that your game can use more then 11 threads. It's the current engines limit you noob.

I was laughing at your thread saying the game will crash using more than 11 threads, which is is pure nonsense.
  • MUH_Cwywardwaah
    1083 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Is this SP or MP, because i tested 4 cores once in MP and got a significant performance hit. (R7-1700)
  • Fr1caN_
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Game feels smoother with 11 threads at least to me. Especially when explosions are going off all around me.
  • JRMBelgiumTwitch

Alright then.

I was laughing at your thread saying the game will crash using more than 11 threads, which is is pure nonsense.

Try to run the game with more then 11 threads. It will crash. To be clear, i am not talking about the CPU but about a game settting!
  • JRMBelgiumTwitch
    Is this SP or MP, because i tested 4 cores once in MP and got a significant performance hit. (R7-1700)

It makes sence in your case. Your CPU has Precision boost 1.0 so lower clockspeeds when more then 2 cores are active while Ryzen 2 will boost evey core as high as it can. And by disabling 4 cores you also added all background tasks to run on the same cores as the game. Thats the reason why I am asking Ryzen 2xxx users to share their results.