"Console" Key (i.e. Tilde "~" Key) Nuisance; EA Should Really Disable It!!!! TECHNICIANS READ THIS!

SakeInYourKhakis
1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
edited January 2017
Hey I'm sure I'm not the only one pissed about this, but the tilde key "~" is really annoying during gameplay. If you press it on accident, you go to "Console" command on the upper left corner and then you stop whatever you're doing and everything you press gets entered as typing into the CONSOLE command and not the game. So annoying! I called support about this and they said that there's no option right now to disable it, and said that I have to post on the forums to make it acknowledge by the studio. SO THIS IS POSTED FOR YOU PEOPLE WORKING ON THE VIDEO GAMES!!! YOU MAKE GREAT GAMES BUT PLEASE GIVE OPTION TO DISABLE THE "TILDE" /"CONSOLE" KEY!!! THIS PROBLEM IS SIMPLY JUST BAD DESIGN!!! AND IT SHOULD BE SO EASY TO FIX OMG!!!! DISABLE! DISABLE! DISABLE!

Comments

• Yumari_Safari
    100 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Can I ask how you end up hitting the key?
  • SmileAsTheyDie
    492 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Can I ask how you end up hitting the key?

I would assume people that use the number keys to change their weapons. Why anyone would actually use the number keys to change their weapons is beyond me.
  • St0n3ymontana
    1332 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    How is it bad design? It's something that's kind of essential. If you have troubles hitting it accidentally all of the time then buy a REAL keyboard & disable the keys that you don't use while in game. It's pretty simple.
  • 8Ace_AmAtoL
    46 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I sometimes hit it as I use Tab for prone :wink:
  • Kajjal
    822 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hey I'm sure I'm not the only one pissed about this, but the tilde key "~" is really annoying during gameplay. If you press it on accident, you go to "Console" command on the upper left corner and then you stop whatever you're doing and everything you press gets entered as typing into the CONSOLE command and not the game. So annoying! I called support about this and they said that there's no option right now to disable it, and said that I have to post on the forums to make it acknowledge by the studio. SO THIS IS POSTED FOR YOU PEOPLE WORKING ON THE VIDEO GAMES!!! YOU MAKE GREAT GAMES BUT PLEASE GIVE OPTION TO DISABLE THE "TILDE" /"CONSOLE" KEY!!! THIS PROBLEM IS SIMPLY JUST BAD DESIGN!!! AND IT SHOULD BE SO EASY TO FIX OMG!!!! DISABLE! DISABLE! DISABLE!

I think you are alone with this ;)
  • JiggleWang
    611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Your technician will arrive anytime between 7:00am and 6:00pm in the month of February.
  • Ironeyes-OC05
    52 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    you can try https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/globalization/keyboardlayouts.aspx, not sure if it will help. Or look for a k/b with good software. I can disable any key with the logitech software.
  • woll3
    677 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited January 2017
    I would assume people that use the number keys to change their weapons. Why anyone would actually use the number keys to change their weapons is beyond me.

?

Keys are faster and more direct than using the wheel, and 1234 are right next to the wasd cluster.

• SmileAsTheyDie
    492 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    woll3 wrote: »

?

Keys are faster and more direct than using the wheel, and 1234 are right next to the wasd cluster.

Using the wheel you dont have to move your fingers at all and reaching 1 or 4 from WASD is one of the longest distance away keys.

I dont even use the mousewheel how it is by default. I have it set where clicking in the mouse wheel swaps between primary and secondary, mouse wheel up is gadget 1 and mouse wheel down is gadget 2.
  • xKMARTx
    132 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Pop your tilde key off your keyboard. Problem solved
  • TheNoobPolice
    1574 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I use mouse scroll wheel to weapon change, since I like to maintain 100% player movement while changing weapon, but most players that use the number keys have their weapon keys as "2" and "3" for obvious reasons of both being closer to the W key, and also avoiding the console key.

Mapping 1 to a function is a bit daft anyway since it's harder to reach. And if you can't hit the huge tab key without hitting the tilde key, then I'm not really sure what to tell you.

I honstly fail to see why there is a need to disable the tilde key.
  • CaptaPraelium
    1676 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Keybindings pls dice.
  • BotoFett
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    xKMARTx wrote: »
    Pop your tilde key off your keyboard. Problem solved

Actually the perfect answer. Thank you
  • Fish7O2
    190 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    My Logitech keyboard has a gaming button that I can set certain buttons to be disabled, while gaming. I know a lot of other keyboards have a similar setting or mode.
  • spynylcracka
    409 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Why don't you just use a mouse button to switch weapons? It is faster and you won't have to worry about the tilde key.
  • badDrumma
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    when i use a plane, i dont use the mouse...just fly with keyboard....and i'm not that bad this way.
    and many, many, many times it happens that i press "2" with my "ring" finger to drop some bombs, and then i want to press 1 to get back to the regular gun....and oups, there i go to console....and crash.
    so, i would like an option to change that key too....it can't be that hard....
  • LOLGotYerTags
    12859 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited September 2018
    Necro...

Also if you're hitting the key accidentally, Either disable the key using your keyboard software
    ( gaming keyboards ) or CAREFULLY pry the key off using a flat head screwdriver.

This discussion has been closed.