Upgrading to Ryzen 2600x

runnydischarge
106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Hello fellow PC gamers. I have a question to ask. I'm currently still running an FX 8350 and I am getting 80 FPS but the frame rates drop - 40 during extreme moments in gameplay. so I decided to upgrade to a ryzen 2600 X. Haven't ordered it yet, I needed to ask some questions.
First off by going with a ryzen processor will it stabilize those frame rate drops?
And secondly, will one stick of 8GB Ram at 2666 megahertz be enough to run Battlefield 1 and Battlefield 5. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• runnydischarge
    106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Anyone?
  • BigF33t_13
    6649 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    No. You must have dual channel memory to run the game properly. Get 2x4 gb.
  • D5RAT
    2002 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    BigF33t_13 wrote: »

Dual /Tri/quad does seem to improve BF1 frame rate in general but still lots of people on here say they do find 8gb single just fine . Give it a go , if not add another stick
  • ackers75
    2277 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    Think Ryzen prefers dual channel high bandwidth ram so get the fastest you can afford.
    I ran dual channel on one system and single on my other when playing bf1 and there was no difference but that was on 2 intel systems.
  • MUH_Cwywardwaah
    1083 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    D5RAT wrote: »
    BigF33t_13 wrote: »

Dual /Tri/quad does seem to improve BF1 frame rate in general but still lots of people on here say they do find 8gb single just fine . Give it a go , if not add another stick

Using single stick cripples ryzen to shet, get two sticks and nothing else.
  • runnydischarge
    Thanks for the comments and feed back! Greatly appreciated.
  • CSO7777
    1080 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Ryzen's performance is dependant on RAM, more than Intel.

If you have the money, buy 2 sticks of 3200Mhz RAM (or as fast as you can for the money you have). Over 3200Mhz the price becomes very high and not really worth it. You can expect 10-15% better performance in many games, going from 2400Mhz to 3200Mhz.

Also, if you plan on playing BFV, the beta used more RAM than BF1 (this can change it was a beta) and having 16GB was an advantage.
  • Aditrex
    116 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    get dual channel and fastest as posible mate
  • Sabrewulv
    264 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I got the Ryzen 7 and went for 16gb 3200 mhz, works like a charm
  • spynylcracka
    409 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    You can get a Ryzen R5 2600 for $165, the Ryzen R5 2600X is $225. The Wraith Spire cooler on the 2600X isn't very good so you could get the 2600 and a decent air cooler and overclock it for less money. You really need to buy a better cooler on the 2600X anyways. I have the Wraith Spire cooler and had to replace it because even at stock speeds my CPU was running too warm.
  • CSO7777
    1080 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    You can get a Ryzen R5 2600 for $165, the Ryzen R5 2600X is $225. The Wraith Spire cooler on the 2600X isn't very good so you could get the 2600 and a decent air cooler and overclock it for less money. You really need to buy a better cooler on the 2600X anyways. I have the Wraith Spire cooler and had to replace it because even at stock speeds my CPU was running too warm.
    If you want to overclock, then this is a good solution, if not, buy the 2600X. The standard cooler is not good, but good enough when not overclocking (with proper airflow in your case).

But you should be able to find an ok cooler for the price-difference between the 2600 and 2600x and the 2600's performance overclocked is better than the 2600x at stock speeds.

Overclocking can be a little intimidating, but it's really very easy, just read up on the subject before trying.