BFV dedicated servers

Comments

• CrashCA
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    A tweet from @dan_mitre ...
    ""In a couple of weeks (give or take) you'll get a close look at Maps and Multiplayer features. Community Tools like RSP, Platoons, Squad comms, etc. are things we need to get into more - we're discussing how to do so and at what level we can detail them out."

Yeah, "SOON™"

Like Platoons still in Beta after 2 years.
  • Metal_Jockets
    247 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    CrashCA wrote: »
    ""In a couple of weeks (give or take) you'll get a close look at Maps and Multiplayer features. Community Tools like RSP, Platoons, Squad comms, etc. are things we need to get into more - we're discussing how to do so and at what level we can detail them out."

Yeah, "SOON™"

Yes..it's only words at this point in time...if it remains to be only words the only people that stand to lose from this is EA/DICE .
  • BetaFief
    655 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    olT3lo wrote: »
    BTW, the OP asked the question wrong. There are ALWAYS "dedicated servers". What you probably wanted to know is, will you have control, or, are there going to be 3rd party rental servers available and will we have admin control.

The answer, anytime you frame it like you did is, 'yes'. I'm surprised they didn't just tell you yeah and then blow it off, that's what they usually do, even though they know what people mean.

Yeah Its just gaming vernacular. Most people don't know how to properly frame the question to convey the details and specifics. Most people don't actually understand what a dedicated server really is. Like COD technically had "dedicated servers" when they were using P2P crap. The Dedicated part in that situation was the listening servers. But man of man that was the worst possible solution for the player (but cheap for the dev/pub).

I find i have to explain it differently now when posting in various places for this game that game. There are so many young or console gamers who have grown up with no concept of what actual choice is with regards to multiple games and servers. I find I have to take it back to a beginner level when trying to explain things. And then even after taking care to explain it, i get "but the badmins" lol.

This is sort of why I was being specific with "Standalone Dedicated Servers" for a while... I felt like it (while not entirely practical to use nowadays) would at the very least ensure that there wouldn't be so much in the way of "wiggle room".

Moddable Dedicated Servers is what I'm trying to push now, figuring that "who's hosting them isn't particularly important, what's important is being able to do stuff with them".
  • A_Cool_Gorilla
    1374 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'm hoping BFV doesn't get community servers. I want to see TDM servers with more than just 3 maps in rotation.

Battlefield 3 ruined community servers for that reason. I got incredibly tired of them, but that ended up being the only servers you could even find. That's the best case scenario too, since a lot of them were 64 player noshar canals.
  • SirTerrible
    1713 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm hoping BFV doesn't get community servers. I want to see TDM servers with more than just 3 maps in rotation.

Battlefield 3 ruined community servers for that reason. I got incredibly tired of them, but that ended up being the only servers you could even find. That's the best case scenario too, since a lot of them were 64 player noshar canals.

That's because there were barely any official servers. If they strike a better balance between private and official servers we'll have the best of both worlds.
  • MacaqueX
    674 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Problem is if u put all maps in rotation for TDM u will have empty server.
    But it was shame that Dice didn't keep servers like squad deathmatch, or scavenger than nobody wanted to run.
  • A_Cool_Gorilla
    1374 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018

That's because there were barely any official servers. If they strike a better balance between private and official servers we'll have the best of both worlds.

Sadly I just can't believe that. If community servers were unranked only, then that's when I start to feel optimistic about it. Global unlocks automatically being on. That would at least mean that, regardless of the downsides that these servers may bring... at least I wouldn't have to deal with progression when joining them.

Problem is if u put all maps in rotation for TDM u will have empty server.
    But it was shame that Dice didn't keep servers like squad deathmatch, or scavenger than nobody wanted to run.

Yeah, server admins would tell me that too. For whatever reason, 90% of players flocked to Noshar Canals, and so having a proper server would be tough to keep alive. Call me selfish, but if those players don't have Noshar-only servers to go to, then they have no choice but to join servers with good map rotations.
  • SirTerrible
    1713 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Sadly I just can't believe that. If community servers were unranked only, then that's when I start to feel optimistic about it. Global unlocks automatically being on.

I'm speaking from a console perspective here since I put in a lot more time on Xbox than PC. They just continually lowered the amount of official TDM servers until there were only a few of them. It wasn't like that at launch at all. They were always full so it's not like they were unpopular and empty, there just weren't enough of them. Luckily my friends and I found a few custom servers that ran our favourite maps with 300 tickets which was the sweetspot imo. It was a good time.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3410 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'm posting this from my thread in the BF4 forums, but I thought it might be somewhat relevant here, since it relates to a RSP that people seem to like:

Today, I decided to try playing on a 24/7 Golmud Railway server with about 3000 or so tickets. A lot of the active servers in BF4 these days are Russian, which is not a problem. However, I encountered something I thought I'd never see in a Battlefield game ... ever: the server had a bot that was posting news headlines from Russia Today! One minute, you're fighting a sniper, and the next thing you know, some bot in the game chat is talking about Bashar al-Assad visiting Ghouta. The headlines were what you'd expect from a Russian news channel: the Skripal incident, some stuff about Putin, some stuff about Syria, and so on, and so forth.

The best headline was this one: "The Pope apologises for all Catholics that use prostitutes". The even funnier thing is, that the bot sometimes split the headline into multiple parts. In the midst of a fight with a tank, I missed the "The Pope apologises for" headline, but I managed to see the "Catholics use prostitutes" headline. I couldn't help but laugh out loud, and I didn't even care that the tank blew me to smithereens.

I wonder what would happen if another server makes a bot that posts headlines from Alex Jones' shows and social media. You're trying to capture a flag, and all of a sudden, "THEY'RE TURNING THE FROGS GAY!" pops up in the chat ... XD

I have some reservations about the potential for badmins, ridiculous server rules and presets, as well as certain maps being overplayed, but I kind of want to see servers as hilarious as this in BFV. I remember some of the banners for servers in BF3 and BF4 ... sure, a lot of them were your typical 'woman in barely any clothing' stuff that you see in a lot of custom servers in all sorts of games, but sometimes, you'd see a banner that you couldn't help but smirk at. One particular server, called 'The Milkmen' server, had nothing but some farmers milking some cows for a banner. I mean, you're playing an FPS, and you end up looking at some bloody farmer's typical day.
  • Axlerod1
    1383 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited September 2018
    CrashCA wrote: »

Yeah, "SOON™"

Like I said last month, expect this month and moving forward to hear a lot of empty promises.
    "Buy the game now, we will fix it later as the community tells us what they want!"

Yeah I have been hearing that for 2 years now and nothing changed. Like I said, expect more empty promises that will go unfulfilled in the future. It is all a marketing ploy to get people to buy their crapload of lies and disappointments.

Make the game great and I and many others will buy it. Make a game missing huge features and I will just move on like many others are going to.

If I buy a new car today, I expect it to work as advertised. I don't want to hear buy this car today, the transmission is coming in a few months but you can have the car today. EA needs to make a complete game. Not a beta with fixes to come. If they are then they need to cut the price down to $20 or $30 and advertise it as such.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/674020/World_War_3/
    early access for this game is $28. It is a beta for the next year. It is advertised currently as such. I am going to buy it.
    For Early access there will not be rentable servers of any kind but it is a beta so I would not expect it. Launch is scheduled for late 2019.
  • MacaqueX
    674 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    WW3 looks like BF4, with leaning system on q and e, and clean UI, and lots of modern war chaos, also it looks like it is really fast paced. Waiting for early access to try.
  • impulsive_tango
    202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm posting this from my thread in the BF4 forums, but I thought it might be somewhat relevant here, since it relates to a RSP that people seem to like:

Today, I decided to try playing on a 24/7 Golmud Railway server with about 3000 or so tickets. A lot of the active servers in BF4 these days are Russian, which is not a problem. However, I encountered something I thought I'd never see in a Battlefield game ... ever: the server had a bot that was posting news headlines from Russia Today! One minute, you're fighting a sniper, and the next thing you know, some bot in the game chat is talking about Bashar al-Assad visiting Ghouta. The headlines were what you'd expect from a Russian news channel: the Skripal incident, some stuff about Putin, some stuff about Syria, and so on, and so forth.

The best headline was this one: "The Pope apologises for all Catholics that use prostitutes". The even funnier thing is, that the bot sometimes split the headline into multiple parts. In the midst of a fight with a tank, I missed the "The Pope apologises for" headline, but I managed to see the "Catholics use prostitutes" headline. I couldn't help but laugh out loud, and I didn't even care that the tank blew me to smithereens.

I wonder what would happen if another server makes a bot that posts headlines from Alex Jones' shows and social media. You're trying to capture a flag, and all of a sudden, "THEY'RE TURNING THE FROGS GAY!" pops up in the chat ... XD

I have some reservations about the potential for badmins, ridiculous server rules and presets, as well as certain maps being overplayed, but I kind of want to see servers as hilarious as this in BFV. I remember some of the banners for servers in BF3 and BF4 ... sure, a lot of them were your typical 'woman in barely any clothing' stuff that you see in a lot of custom servers in all sorts of games, but sometimes, you'd see a banner that you couldn't help but smirk at. One particular server, called 'The Milkmen' server, had nothing but some farmers milking some cows for a banner. I mean, you're playing an FPS, and you end up looking at some bloody farmer's typical day.

People will do almost anything to make a buck now days. I have played on servers in the East, and they are crap.
  • von_Campenstein
    6620 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

People will do almost anything to make a buck now days. I have played on servers in the East, and they are crap.

Why would you even? If there was an option I'd like to permaban myself from anything russian.
  • CaptainHardware
    302 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

The people who play those kind of severs will just stop playing completely at a much earlier point if they can't have options like that. This is hardly a battlefield only issue either, plenty of other games like the Destiny franchise for one recent example with high sales numbers, also have issues with the smaller and less popular game modes becoming unpopulated. Forcing people to play the way you want is not an answer to this.

• olT3lo
    189 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited September 2018
    TheSacar wrote: »

Yeah, server admins would tell me that too. For whatever reason, 90% of players flocked to Noshar Canals, and so having a proper server would be tough to keep alive. Call me selfish, but if those players don't have Noshar-only servers to go to, then they have no choice but to join servers with good map rotations.

That really is incredibly selfish. Because you could not find a server with the map rotation you wanted, you now want to basically force everyone to play like you want to. The reason the map rotations existed like they did is that people liked them. Now you basically want everybody to feel like you did back then and be unable to play the map rotations they want.
    You do realize that a) these people paid good money to host their server and it was just fair that they could set it up like they liked and b) nothing ever stopped you from renting a server and setting it up like you wanted.
    A good RSP strategy would make everybody happy. Those who want to play on community servers can do so and if EA has enough official servers, you might find one with your favorite rotation.

This.

The idea of no community servers has killed BF for me and my clan. Believe me, our clan tried to run servers that had full map rotations, rush, conquest, squad rush and CTF. They failed. Now, since we can't have community servers, we have no community and don't play the games at all. The obvious solution is to have a balance, as mentioned previously, of DICE servers and community servers. Let people play and experience the game as they want to. Unfortunately EA is involved, and they only want you to experience their games with your wallet next to your mouse hand, it's the only thing that drives their decision making and they've determined that communities keep games alive too long. They don't want that at all.
  • A_Cool_Gorilla
    edited September 2018

That really is incredibly selfish. Because you could not find a server with the map rotation you wanted, you now want to basically force everyone to play like you want to. The reason the map rotations existed like they did is that people liked them. Now you basically want everybody to feel like you did back then and be unable to play the map rotations they want.
    You do realize that a) these people paid good money to host their server and it was just fair that they could set it up like they liked and b) nothing ever stopped you from renting a server and setting it up like you wanted.
    A good RSP strategy would make everybody happy. Those who want to play on community servers can do so and if EA has enough official servers, you might find one with your favorite rotation.

Or the game could just have well rounded servers.

I say, keep community servers unranked. If players want a official meatgrinder mode - give it to them as a matchmaking option or as an event.
  • MacaqueX

Or the game could just have well rounded servers.

I say, keep community servers unranked. If players want a official meatgrinder mode - give it to them as a matchmaking option or as an event.

It is bc of FUN and longevity of game , if u rotate what majority players like to play those servers will thrive, if you run map rotation that is mixed in mods after that mod in rotation finish they will just leave server and find other server with mode/maps they like to play.
    If Dice keep all servers that are not popular just few of them so that u can still unlock some stuff playing that mode or for minority of players that like different modes and maps, that will also be great.
    If you force every player to play 5 games in a row of maps and modes he don't enjoy he will find another game to play.