Classes in Battlefield

Gnow1370
123 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Why can’t we have more classes in battlefield(though in the recent amaa they said more classes could be added in tides of war). It makes since to add more classes to the game at launch
They should be

Assault-ARs
Medic-SMGs
Engineer-Shotgun
Support-LMG/MMG
Recon-Suppressed SMGs
Sniper-Bolt Action rifles

Comments

• Noodlesocks
    2479 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    There should be but Dice have stubbornly stuck to the 4 class system and they've struggled every game to balance the classes/weapons because of it.
  • Foot_Guard_Tomei
    438 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    Slight modification of yours...

Assault-ARs and SLRs
    Anti-tank-AT rifles/AT launchers (no primary weapon, secondary for self-defense)
    Medic-SMGs
    Engineer-Shotguns
    Machinegunner-LMGs/MMGs
    Spec-ops-Suppressed SMGs
    Sniper-Bolt action rifles and SLRs
  • Gnow1370
    123 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Assault-ARs and SLRs
    Anti-tank-AT rifles/AT launchers (no primary weapon, secondary for self-defense)
    Medic-SMGs
    Engineer-Shotguns
    Machinegunner-LMGs/MMGs
    Spec-ops-Suppressed SMGs

Great idea similar to bf2 then

The Combat Roles would then need to be split up(unless we trash them)

• DeadlyDanDaMan
    615 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Combat Roles are essentially sub-classes within the classes. So really, there are actually 8 classes in the game already, and more to come.
  • Gnow1370
    Combat Roles are essentially sub-classes within the classes. So really, there are actually 8 classes in the game already, and more to come.

Not really they’re more like perks
  • DeadlyDanDaMan
    615 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Gnow1370 wrote: »

Perks that DRASTICALLY change the way your class plays and functions within the team, but okay, they're JUST perks.
  • Foot_Guard_Tomei
    438 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018

Assault-ARs and SLRs
    Medic-SMGs
    Engineer-Shotguns
    Machinegunner-LMGs/MMGs
    Spec-ops-Suppressed SMGs

I made assumption from your recon-suppressed SMGs that class would obviously have as name implies, reconnaissance stuff. I read from Battlefield V subreddit discussion with developers that they consider former recon paratrooper archetype being powerful combo on their paper. So, I made him being "Spec-ops" (≈ sound suppressed weapons and some type of detonator triggered explosives package). Sniper would still be recon in this.

Few other name changes: Support sounds bit silly since medic and engineer are "supportive" classes through meds, revives and repairs. To add, yes I know that it refers to suppressive fire being form of firesupport but machinegunner sounds better. Anti-tank idea comes from BF1942, assault being both major AP and AT force creates ultimate all-purpose anti-everything in BFV.

Here's a link to Tiggr's comment on recon with suppressed SMGs matter. Can be found under Westie's questions if you scroll down.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/9j3gn3/battlefield_v_amaa_classes_combat_roles/
  • Sixclicks
    5073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    I'd really like for iron sight bolt actions to be separated from scoped bolt actions into a "Rifleman" and "Sniper" class so that we could have iron sight bolt actions that are better balanced for close/medium objective ranges.

Assault-ARs and SLRs
    Medic-SMGs
    Engineer-Shotguns
    Machinegunner-LMGs/MMGs
    Spec-ops-Suppressed SMGs

Here's a link to Tiggr's comment on recon with suppressed SMGs matter. Can be found under Westie's questions if you scroll down.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/9j3gn3/battlefield_v_amaa_classes_combat_roles/

Hmm... that seems to directly contradict his prior Twitter comment that Recon would eventually have suppressed SMGs.

paratrooper.png
  • Sixclicks
    5073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This is what he had to say regarding suppressed SMGs on the recon class on that Reddit thread when I asked him to clarify.

suppressed_smgs.png

So it definitely looks like they're considering more than 4 classes eventually.
  • Foot_Guard_Tomei
    Sixclicks wrote: »
    This is what he had to say regarding suppressed SMGs on the recon class on that Reddit thread when I asked him to clarify.

suppressed_smgs.png

So it definitely looks like they're considering more than 4 classes eventually.

I was just starting to type a response and then I saw your comment on there :)
  • I honestly don't see too much purpose in adding more classes, when all the functions needed seem to be accounted for in the sub-classes.

• Gnow1370
    I honestly don't see too much purpose in adding more classes, when all the functions needed seem to be accounted for in the sub-classes.

Well...in past games some classes were overpowered, and the ratio between them and other classes were big. With more classes, the balance could be better and allow for more fair engagements(maybe)
  • Gnow1370

Perks that DRASTICALLY change the way your class plays and functions within the team, but okay, they're JUST perks.

Well if there were special guns locked behind a Combat Role then I would say yes they are Sub-Classes, but since that’s not a thing anymore(I think) then I’ll just say the Combat Roles are just like perks(expect on classes)

Wish we could choose the perks we wanted
  • iloveBooSTInnG
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited September 2018

Assault-ARs and SLRs
    Medic-SMGs
    Engineer-Shotguns
    Machinegunner-LMGs/MMGs
    Spec-ops-Suppressed SMGs

it would be ideal for classes to be like that, segmented. How they were in the real life.

But nowadays who is going to play with a class as specific as anti-tank or engineer, nobody... Everybody want automatics rifles for all... These milennials want everything easy.
  • barnesalmighty2
    1203 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I would prefer no classes at all and just 1 soldier that could equip any gadget combo you like. The same as MAG had and WW3 is using. It would fix balance issues between what class gets what weapons sure you would have other things to work out but ultimately it's a better system in my opinion.
  • StormSaxon
    489 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    If you wanted to make it more “WW2”.

Assault- SMGs and Shotguns, extra grenades, flame throwers.
    Rifleman- iron site bolt action rifles and assault rifles... health.
    Support- lmgs or mortar/iron site bolt action rifle.
    Anti-Tank - smgs and RPG weapons.
    Scout - SMG and Spotting/spawn gear.
    Sniper- scoped Bolt Action rifles.. stealth gear.
    Pilot/Airman- pistol only.
    Tanker - pistol/smg.
    Engineer- ironsite Bolt action rifles or smgs and can build fortifications, emplacements, foxholes, slit trenches. Can also use flame throwers. Can also clear/spot mines.

• Gnow1370
    I would prefer no classes at all and just 1 soldier that could equip any gadget combo you like. The same as MAG had and WW3 is using. It would fix balance issues between what class gets what weapons sure you would have other things to work out but ultimately it's a better system in my opinion.

Well then snipers can camp with a ammo box and health all day

And everyone would use the op guns

Vehicles would stand less of a chance cause once everyone knows where it is everyone is spawning in with a Launch or dynamite
  • BetaFief
    655 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Assault-ARs and SLRs
    Medic-SMGs
    Engineer-Shotguns
    Machinegunner-LMGs/MMGs
    Spec-ops-Suppressed SMGs
    StormSaxon wrote: »
    If you wanted to make it more “WW2”.

Assault- SMGs and Shotguns, extra grenades, flame throwers.
    Rifleman- iron site bolt action rifles and assault rifles... health.
    Support- lmgs or mortar/iron site bolt action rifle.
    Anti-Tank - smgs and RPG weapons.
    Scout - SMG and Spotting/spawn gear.
    Sniper- scoped Bolt Action rifles.. stealth gear.
    Pilot/Airman- pistol only.
    Tanker - pistol/smg.
    Engineer- ironsite Bolt action rifles or smgs and can build fortifications, emplacements, foxholes, slit trenches. Can also use flame throwers. Can also clear/spot mines.

I like both of these, though I've got some objections, I'd probably be fine with either as they'd at least break the "we can only have 4 classes"-mentality that I think has created a lot of problems with regards to weapon balance..

One thing I'd change I guess is to have ironsight/scopeless rifles as a bit more common; and LMG's elevated towards a different set of mechanics more along the lines of how they are in other games (where they effectively fill a role similar to the one MMG's fill, but have a different set of pros/cons)...

Still think that Faction-weapons would improve a lot, but recognize that there's some significant issues that it could bring up
    STG's/Carbines, Shotguns, and belt-fed "MMG's" not exactly being common among Britain/Commonwealth, Italian, Japanese, and Soviet troops (or there not being much in the way of domestic designs for these things)... not to mention DICE's highly questionable track-record when it comes to asymmetric balance.
    but perhaps I'm just too much in a specific mindset.

If dice is going to shake things up that much I'd prefer they go a more "Insurgency"-esque route where there's more structure there.

Though I guess you could have (theoretically anyway) both existing side-by-side (oddly enough Verdun sort of does this within a "TDM"-mode, though that's 32 players and kind of dead population-count-wise)
  • biotek7
    228 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    They have mentioned that adding classes is possible in the future. The image above hints that a new class would get the suppressed smg archetype that used to belong to recon.

There have been a lot of class configurations over the years. At this point I think I'd rather just wait and see what they do, the main word being "do". I really hope they expand the roster.
  • Gnow1370 wrote: »
    I honestly don't see too much purpose in adding more classes, when all the functions needed seem to be accounted for in the sub-classes.

Well...in past games some classes were overpowered, and the ratio between them and other classes were big. With more classes, the balance could be better and allow for more fair engagements(maybe)

I actually think the opposite. The class with the most offensive gadgets are always going to be the easiest classes to play at a "high level", since killing people is the most fundamental and least reproducable skill in a fps. (as opposed to spamming ammo, sensors, or heals, which is accomplished mindlessly)

If you barebones classes to make more, I think people will try those classes out of curiosity but revert to the easy class shortly after when they realize they enjoy killing more people and dying less.

If they can come up with enough useful gadgets to make them worth something, then yeah.

But I doubt the likelyhood of DICE actually circumventing the offensive class meta without lowering the skillgap into casual mode. Casual=early interest in a game with an imminent death shortly after.