AMD R5 2600 and BF1 performance question

G3neral_Tso
15 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
Greetings.

I recently upgraded to a R5 2600 from a FX-8350. Of course, this meant a new motherboard (MSI X470 gaming pro) and 16GB of DDR4 3000 MHZ. I kept my 8GB R9 390 GPU.

After a stressful motherboard transplant (I inverted the reset and power switch, so I thought I killed the motherboard during installation), I went into BIOS and set the RAM speed to 3000. Installed Windows 10 Education. Downloaded GPU drivers, version 18.9.3, Origin, and BF1.

I loaded the game up and went into graphics settings, and noticed it was set for Ultra settings, capped at 200 FPS. I chuckled and said out loud “Ha, we’ll see about that.” I didn’t expect great performance, just replacing the CPU and adding faster RAM.

So, I’ve played about 6-10 rounds since the upgrade and my FPS is pegged at 60FPS. It is by far much more smooth than 60FPS on my 8350, with no lag and frame drops in CQ gun battles. I play on a 60 hz monitor and at 1080p, but even on my old hardware, I would rarely drop much lower than 60. I usually capped my frames there, to keep the PC cooler and the gameplay smoother. Of course, I had most of the settings turned down and there would be stutter in intense CQ battles and maps areas with lots of explosive spam and particle effects.

I know Frostbite is CPU intensive, so I monitored CPU usage and it was 30-50%. My GPU rarely hit its top overclock speed of 1065mhz, usually hovering around 1015-1040 (stock). Battlefront II was maxing out the GPU speed. Temps are solid, considering I play in a warm room. I’ve checked the FPS via the console command and via Afterburner OSD.

Is this normal for my type of setup? It’s like I’ve locked the frames at 60, even though I haven’t. The game looks beautiful, and running very smoothly...like silky smooth.

Comments

• BigF33t_13
    6652 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    The cpu usage is fairly normal being it has 12 threads. The gpu should be pretty close to 100%. I'm not sure how the r9's boost, whether its by usage or temp. There isn't a right or wrong way to connect the power switch. It just has to short out the connection to turn it on. It can do that in either configuration.
  • G3neral_Tso
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah, I had the power on 2 pin on the reset switch 2 pin, so when I plugged it in and pressed the power button...nothing happened. I pressed the reset button, and it turned on. No damage done, but I was scared for a minute there.
  • CallMehTodd
    27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    AMD still to this day causing problems. I see.
  • spynylcracka
    409 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I don't understand why you are capping frames @ 60 FPS, you should get much more than that on that setup. Game play is much smoother over 60 FPS even on a 60 Hz monitor, and screen tearing is minor in this game. You should be able to OC the 2600 to at least 4.0 - 4.1 Ghz on all cores with a cheap air cooler. Those wraith spire coolers aren't very good, mine was running pretty warm even at stock speeds with that cooler.
  • G3neral_Tso
    I don't understand why you are capping frames @ 60 FPS, you should get much more than that on that setup. Game play is much smoother over 60 FPS even on a 60 Hz monitor, and screen tearing is minor in this game. You should be able to OC the 2600 to at least 4.0 - 4.1 Ghz on all cores with a cheap air cooler. Those wraith spire coolers aren't very good, mine was running pretty warm even at stock speeds with that cooler.

That's just it - I'm not capping frames at all. I used to on my old hardware, but with this upgrade, my frames do not increase (or decrease) from 60. It's really weird.
  • ackers75
    2284 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    monitor refresh rate might be enabled in game settings?
  • G3neral_Tso
    ackers75 wrote: »
    monitor refresh rate might be enabled in game settings?

Nope. It's set to 200.
  • spynylcracka
    409 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Is wait for vertical refresh off in Radeon Settings in the Gaming section under Battlefield 1? You could also try disabling Fullscreen optimizations in the properties of BF1.exe in the compatibility tab.
  • -cXn-John
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2018
    Its not just AMD. I have never had a good experience with BF1 from day 1. I get random "lag spikes" in CPU and GPU usage during play (I have perfoverlay.drawgraph active) they last all of 1 or 2 milliseconds, but are enough to make the game experience no fun. I have an 8700k 16GB DDR4 3000 and a GTX1060 6GB, I should be able to play this game on some settings without these lag spikes, but I am not able to do so. The game runs mostly above 90fps, the CPU is never hotter than 65c and does not use more than 50-70% during play, the GPU is never hotter than 55c and if limited to 80fps runs about 75-80% during play, if I limit the GPU with gametime.maxvariablefps 80 the spikes are less severe but present all the same, if I lower settings the spikes are less severe but present all the same, I have reinstalled the game, reinstalled windows, tried every suggestion on every forum I can find and nothing works. The game automatically sets ULTRA settings, but I disable TAA as I don't like how it makes everything look like I smeared Vaseline on my screen, but even everything set to low, it is still present.

It is so annoying because this issues has persisted for me across 2 different GPUs, motherboard's, CPU's and sets of ram. HDD or SSD nothing helps. My PSU is a gold certified 750watt corsair one the total power draw of my CPU at peak is 95-102 watts and the gpu never uses more than around 70% of the available power(1 8pin and the 75 watts through the PCIe slot) and now its too late for Dice/EA to care now as BFV is just around the corner and their efforts are all invested in the release of that game. Same too because I enjoyed the BFV beta, it ran super smooth and was enjoyable, but so did the BF1 beta, which makes me question if I should even bother considering to buy BFV next year when I finally recover from the £650 it just cost to upgrade hardware in an attempt to fix the issue.
    rKBdD3S.jpg
    h6OvN4T.jpg

• CSO7777
    1080 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    -cXn-John wrote: »
    Its not just AMD. I have never had a good experience with BF1 from day 1. I get random "lag spikes" in CPU and GPU usage during play (I have perfoverlay.drawgraph active) they last all of 1 or 2 milliseconds, but are enough to make the game experience no fun. I have an 8700k 16GB DDR4 3000 and a GTX1060 6GB, I should be able to play this game on some settings without these lag spikes, but I am not able to do so. The game runs mostly above 90fps, the CPU is never hotter than 65c and does not use more than 50-70% during play, the GPU is never hotter than 55c and if limited to 80fps runs about 75-80% during play, if I limit the GPU with gametime.maxvariablefps 80 the spikes are less severe but present all the same, if I lower settings the spikes are less severe but present all the same, I have reinstalled the game, reinstalled windows, tried every suggestion on every forum I can find and nothing works. The game automatically sets ULTRA settings, but I disable TAA as I don't like how it makes everything look like I smeared Vaseline on my screen, but even everything set to low, it is still present.

Have you checked for standby-memory issues, some people are affected by this (try the fix, if it's doesn't make a difference, remove it again): https://reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7a0763/standby_memory_issue_causing_stutters_on_creators/
  • G3neral_Tso
    Figured it out. Stupid Vertical Sync was on in the BF1 video menu. I always turn it off when I reinstall a Frostbite title (or any game really), but that's what it was.

Turned it off, and had 80-90fps on ultra with no noticeable stuttering. It's like a new game.
  • G3neral_Tso
    CSO7777 wrote: »

Have you checked for standby-memory issues, some people are affected by this (try the fix, if it's doesn't make a difference, remove it again): https://reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7a0763/standby_memory_issue_causing_stutters_on_creators/

This helped with my old setup.
  • Jinko_itx
    685 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    -cXn-John wrote: »

It is so annoying because this issues has persisted for me across 2 different GPUs, motherboard's, CPU's and sets of ram. HDD or SSD nothing helps. My PSU is a gold certified 750watt corsair one the total power draw of my CPU at peak is 95-102 watts and the gpu never uses more than around 70% of the available power(1 8pin and the 75 watts through the PCIe slot) and now its too late for Dice/EA to care now as BFV is just around the corner and their efforts are all invested in the release of that game. Same too because I enjoyed the BFV beta, it ran super smooth and was enjoyable, but so did the BF1 beta, which makes me question if I should even bother considering to buy BFV next year when I finally recover from the £650 it just cost to upgrade hardware in an attempt to fix the issue.
    rKBdD3S.jpg
    h6OvN4T.jpg

I had that same problem, when I turned off DX 12 and turned on GPU restricted memory in the in-game settings, those intermitting stutters are gone
  • runnydischarge
    106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well if you have a 60 Hz. monitor you will not be playing at anything more than 60 FPS in game anyways. You might be showing 80 to 90 FPS but you are not utilizing that frame rate because of your monitor refresh rate is 60.
  • -cXn-John
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I dont see what 60hz refresh rate has to do with the stutter i am talking about, also, i run a 75hz screen.

The graph above does not show FPS, it shows spikes in CPU and GPU usage that seem to line up exactly with the stutter in game. It does not matter if i limit my fps (this makes it worse sometimes) to 30/60/80/100 or if i leave it unlimited, these spikes still happen, im not looking for more FPS, its not about FPS, its about stutter, the game freezing for 1 or 2 milliseconds causing a perceptible skip in game smoothness where it should not stutter, nvida suggest ULTRA settings for my setup as does the game when i run it for the first time after installing, all AUTO presets are ULTRA and for the most part the FPS is around 95-115. I used to run the game limited to 80 (to make sure i get no screen tare issues on 75hz display and because vsync causes a perceptible input lag making the mouse movement feel "wishy washy" at best) unlimiting the FPS is merely one of the many suggestions for a fix for this issue, from one of many thousands of post all across the internet.

I just want to play the game and have fun, instead i fight through this nasty intermittent hitching/stutter that ruins the experience.
  • freakingcrazy
    924 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    thats strange John I also have an 8700k but I dont see those spikes at all,you got the fps limiter enabled?If not enable it.
  • freakingcrazy
    924 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Greetings.

I recently upgraded to a R5 2600 from a FX-8350. Of course, this meant a new motherboard (MSI X470 gaming pro) and 16GB of DDR4 3000 MHZ. I kept my 8GB R9 390 GPU.

After a stressful motherboard transplant (I inverted the reset and power switch, so I thought I killed the motherboard during installation), I went into BIOS and set the RAM speed to 3000. Installed Windows 10 Education. Downloaded GPU drivers, version 18.9.3, Origin, and BF1.

I loaded the game up and went into graphics settings, and noticed it was set for Ultra settings, capped at 200 FPS. I chuckled and said out loud “Ha, we’ll see about that.” I didn’t expect great performance, just replacing the CPU and adding faster RAM.

So, I’ve played about 6-10 rounds since the upgrade and my FPS is pegged at 60FPS. It is by far much more smooth than 60FPS on my 8350, with no lag and frame drops in CQ gun battles. I play on a 60 hz monitor and at 1080p, but even on my old hardware, I would rarely drop much lower than 60. I usually capped my frames there, to keep the PC cooler and the gameplay smoother. Of course, I had most of the settings turned down and there would be stutter in intense CQ battles and maps areas with lots of explosive spam and particle effects.

I know Frostbite is CPU intensive, so I monitored CPU usage and it was 30-50%. My GPU rarely hit its top overclock speed of 1065mhz, usually hovering around 1015-1040 (stock). Battlefront II was maxing out the GPU speed. Temps are solid, considering I play in a warm room. I’ve checked the FPS via the console command and via Afterburner OSD.

Is this normal for my type of setup? It’s like I’ve locked the frames at 60, even though I haven’t. The game looks beautiful, and running very smoothly...like silky smooth.

are you shure v sync is not enabled?
  • G3neral_Tso
    Greetings.

are you shure v sync is not enabled?

Yes, that's exactly what happened (last page). I don't know why I didn't check that first. It's always the second thing I disable after motion blur on that screen.