Battlefield 5 is gonna be a flop

Comments

• Rufusw5
    134 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I played the beta for a few hours, and it was alright! I like the changes they've made, especially to the spotting.

I don't think I'm going to buy it though. I don't really know exactly why, it just hasn't really captured my interest like I thought it would.
  • BGHFlakjacket
    1230 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It will not flop. It has just enough potential to be another great BF game, I do not like it (BETA), but it will do well. The other alternative is to go and play COD. I would rather have a root canal than do that!
  • I-Soldat-I
    1622 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    There's WW3 on Steam, a modern counter to BF V due to launch mid-October
  • Hay-its-dudeman
    364 postsMember Member
    It may flop due to marketing, but the basic gameplay will be better than BF1, since it has less RBD impacting its gunplay.

I think this is an in-between game. BF1 was where people got off the bus. This game will have better basic gameplay mechanics, but has had poor marketing. The game after BFV will probably be deeper than BFV, since it is not likely to be "based on a historical period", and will have more freedom to do whatever the hell it wants.

The next one after BFV will probably be the best one ever if they listen to the players who play BF and not try to appease people who aren't customers yet. That always leads to some measure of percieved alienation towards the current playerbase.
  • von_Campenstein
    6476 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It may flop due to marketing, but the basic gameplay will be better than BF1, since it has less RBD impacting its gunplay.

I think this is an in-between game. BF1 was where people got off the bus. This game will have better basic gameplay mechanics, but has had poor marketing. The game after BFV will probably be deeper than BFV, since it is not likely to be "based on a historical period", and will have more freedom to do whatever the hell it wants.

The next one after BFV will probably be the best one ever if they listen to the players who play BF and not try to appease people who aren't customers yet. That always leads to some measure of percieved alienation towards the current playerbase.

Calling it now, the next title will have grappling hooks allowing players to zip all over the map, even onto enemy helicopters in flight.
  • Hawxxeye
    4411 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I must confess that in spite a load of controversies around the game and balance issues, I am still very much looking forward to it.
  • MogwaiWarrior
    637 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    I'm afraid BFV will be a flop hence why I'm going to wait a couple of weeks before I buy if at all.
  • It may flop due to marketing, but the basic gameplay will be better than BF1, since it has less RBD impacting its gunplay.

Calling it now, the next title will have grappling hooks allowing players to zip all over the map, even onto enemy helicopters in flight.

If it's bad company 3, that sounds possible..in which case my prediction will be right.

• Law212
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    This will be the first battlefield game I dont buy even when it goes on sale.
  • Law212
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    EVery new battlefield game makes me miss the older BF games. Quality in gaming in general has been declining for years now. When companies see players are ATMs they put less into making great games. You can tell no one working on these games have a passion for it anymore. They make them now because its a pay cheque.
  • VincentNZ
    1989 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well I did not enjoy the game, although the beta was more fun the alphas, but that comes down to be able to play with one mate. The pure gameplay is nothing that excites me. The initial sales should not be too much of a concern, I suppose EA calculated with that, but if they can actually make a buck from the microtransactions and the game as a service plan.
    I am rather in doubt about it as you need a solid playerbase for this, and BF has NO community-building features whatsoever. It also has no marketplace like Steam where I can sell my super useless cosmetics for store vouchers that I could reinvest. Me and my mates have "made" 20€ to 600€ by just casually playing PUBG for a year and selling the stuff, that is another incentive to play, when the community building is low. But even here the initial investment of 60-70€ is just pretty high.
    It can still work out, even for the players, but I just do not see EA's masterplan.
  • Hay-its-dudeman
    364 postsMember Member
    Law212 wrote: »
    EVery new battlefield game makes me miss the older BF games. Quality in gaming in general has been declining for years now. When companies see players are ATMs they put less into making great games. You can tell no one working on these games have a passion for it anymore. They make them now because its a pay cheque.

^^^ this a quadrillion times over
  • FierceBrosnan007
    963 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    These threads are a flop. The game isn't even out yet. Reserve judgement until then and once you've put in some hours. The same thing was said about previous titles and look how popular they are!
  • Law212
    Th3Veteran wrote: »
    These threads are a flop. The game isn't even out yet. Reserve judgement until then and once you've put in some hours. The same thing was said about previous titles and look how popular they are!

I wont pay money to put in hours to see how bad the game is when its evident from the beta and the "if you dont like it dont buy it" statements some of the devs make.

Whats a flop are people who defend their favourite video games from any sort of criticism out of some sense of duty and loyalty to people who dont care about you one bit.
  • xXCA_RageXx
    1024 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Law212 wrote: »
    Th3Veteran wrote: »

I wont pay money to put in hours to see how bad the game is when its evident from the beta and the "if you dont like it dont buy it" statements some of the devs make.

Whats a flop are people who defend their favourite video games from any sort of criticism out of some sense of duty and loyalty to people who dont care about you one bit.

Why do people hold onto what some out of touch higher up has to say? I had a blast from the beta, different stroke for different folks. I tend to defend battlefield V(NOT EA) from the people that are simply irrational, I don't mind having a discussion with someone that simply doesn't like the game but isnt ridiculous about it.
  • xXCA_RageXx
    1024 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ wrote: »
    Well I did not enjoy the game, although the beta was more fun the alphas, but that comes down to be able to play with one mate. The pure gameplay is nothing that excites me. The initial sales should not be too much of a concern, I suppose EA calculated with that, but if they can actually make a buck from the microtransactions and the game as a service plan.
    I am rather in doubt about it as you need a solid playerbase for this, and BF has NO community-building features whatsoever. It also has no marketplace like Steam where I can sell my super useless cosmetics for store vouchers that I could reinvest. Me and my mates have "made" 20€ to 600€ by just casually playing PUBG for a year and selling the stuff, that is another incentive to play, when the community building is low. But even here the initial investment of 60-70€ is just pretty high.
    It can still work out, even for the players, but I just do not see EA's masterplan.

You don't need a community market for cosmetic micro transactions to flourish.
  • VincentNZ
    1989 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Nah but it keeps players that do not care for the pink goggles in it longer as well, if they can sell that stuff to other people for Origin credits and the illusion to make money.
  • BetaFief
    655 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

as I see it a "community market" provides a lot of advantages when it comes to microtransactions... mostly it provides some illusion of "value gained" and thus "value to show off" which is useful for streamers or hype-building events.

I think a full-on copy/knockoff of the "Steam Workshop" (both the Mod-support/sharing; as well as the "make and sell TF2 hats"-aspects)

after all; mods are content EA doesn't have to pay money to create, and yet which can birth whole fads and followings around them...while having a system for freelance modelers and artists lessens the need to keep everything constantly updated...
  • xXCA_RageXx
    BetaFief wrote: »

as I see it a "community market" provides a lot of advantages when it comes to microtransactions... mostly it provides some illusion of "value gained" and thus "value to show off" which is useful for streamers or hype-building events.

I think a full-on copy/knockoff of the "Steam Workshop" (both the Mod-support/sharing; as well as the "make and sell TF2 hats"-aspects)

after all; mods are content EA doesn't have to pay money to create, and yet which can birth whole fads and followings around them...while having a system for freelance modelers and artists lessens the need to keep everything constantly updated...

A community market doesn't make sense unless there is cosmetic lootboxes that i have not heard about. If you can buy the cosmetics you want directly a market is completely unnecessary.
  • parkingbrake
    2765 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Star Wars Battlefront 2 sold 9 million copies in the first three months despite some of the most hostile reviewing and attitudes I've ever seen to a video game. I presume every one of you who frequent Reddit know about the absolute catastrophe that unfolded on its subreddit.

I highly doubt this game is going to flop.
    Star Wars Battlefront 2 sold 9 million copies in the first three months despite some of the most hostile reviewing and attitudes I've ever seen to a video game. I presume every one of you who frequent Reddit know about the absolute catastrophe that unfolded on its subreddit.

SWB2 died quickly on PC but it's unlikely EA cares about that since sales of console games now far outnumber sales for PC for most titles. However if you look at the astonishing sales success of PUBG on PC, maybe that will make them think twice and give the PC market a little more love.