BFV dedicated servers

Comments

• A_Cool_Gorilla
    1374 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I do believe that community servers can benefit the longevity of a game, but it really depends. In the case of Battlefield 3, RSP was one of the factors that killed that game for me. Clearly it wasn't good for players such as myself who preferred vanilla server settings. In that situation, I think it can hurt the game as much as it helps it, which is why I'm against it.

So where were the DICE official servers at the time in BF3? They are the ones responsible for keeping those Vanilla servers up. So without them the community rented servers were the only reason there were servers.

There were none.

If there was no server rental, then they would have had no choice but to pay the bills themselves.

Don't see any BF4 Official servers ... CQ Large, All Maps. I assume if there was enough demand for whatever is you like there'd be a rental version of it. Like true official settings. No admin, all maps.

You could put one up yourself, then get donations to keep it running....if enough players liked it.

I believe there would be a demand for official servers if they represented them similarly to CS:GO. MM only using official servers.

Yeah a team based, squad focused game solely relying on MM. Uh huh that's going to work out real well long term.

You realize you can have the server browser access official servers, right? It's not like those filtering options would be removed.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6722 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I do believe that community servers can benefit the longevity of a game, but it really depends. In the case of Battlefield 3, RSP was one of the factors that killed that game for me. Clearly it wasn't good for players such as myself who preferred vanilla server settings. In that situation, I think it can hurt the game as much as it helps it, which is why I'm against it.

So where were the DICE official servers at the time in BF3? They are the ones responsible for keeping those Vanilla servers up. So without them the community rented servers were the only reason there were servers.

There were none.

If there was no server rental, then they would have had no choice but to pay the bills themselves.

Don't see any BF4 Official servers ... CQ Large, All Maps. I assume if there was enough demand for whatever is you like there'd be a rental version of it. Like true official settings. No admin, all maps.

You could put one up yourself, then get donations to keep it running....if enough players liked it.

I believe there would be a demand for official servers if they represented them similarly to CS:GO. MM only using official servers.

Yeah a team based, squad focused game solely relying on MM. Uh huh that's going to work out real well long term.

You realize you can have the server browser access official servers, right? It's not like those filtering options would be removed.

I'm very well educated in the usage of the server browser. So what's your point?

Without RSP all servers are Official. So a browser really isn't needed. Then you end up with a MM squading system like PubG.
  • A_Cool_Gorilla
    1374 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018

There were none.

I'm very well educated in the usage of the server browser. So what's your point?

Without RSP all servers are Official. So a browser really isn't needed. Then you end up with a MM squading system like PubG.

CS:GO has community servers... with a system similar to CS:GO, you could still have rentable servers.

There are better solutions than how Battlefield 3 handled things, and there are better solutions than how PUBG handles things. It's possible to have a middle ground.
  • Hay-its-dudeman
    364 postsMember Member
    edited October 2018

I think CS:GO does it great, since there's a clear divide between official servers and community servers. Black Ops 3 also had that clear divide. If they go that route, I'd be A-okay with it.

Honestly, rented servers only help the game if the game needs help.

When I see that the only populated servers in my region are rented ones, I think, "Oh. This game must be dead.", and then I go play a more popular game that can gaurantee I will see good action.

The fact that we are even having this discussion is a big-time problem.

Part of the baseline experience of buying an online multiplayer game is having servers to play it on. if that's in question, the whole product is trash. If a game that depends on a community bending over backwards is a thing, I'm out. They need to get their stuff together. Holy crap.......
  • Metal_Jockets
    247 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    A tweet from @dan_mitre ...
    ""In a couple of weeks (give or take) you'll get a close look at Maps and Multiplayer features. Community Tools like RSP, Platoons, Squad comms, etc. are things we need to get into more - we're discussing how to do so and at what level we can detail them out."

it's what, a couple of months before the release date (delayed, mind you) and they're only discussing the possibility of implementing any community features.
    if we pretend for a second that the tweet is true...than what they're saying is that they're disgustingly incompetent and have absolutely no idea what they're doing. and that's the best case scenario.

Yes agree..
    My last twitter coversation...

Clearly it means nothing but I will keep hounding till we get an answer either way.
  • olT3lo
    189 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member

I think CS:GO does it great, since there's a clear divide between official servers and community servers. Black Ops 3 also had that clear divide. If they go that route, I'd be A-okay with it.

When I see that the only populated servers in my region are rented ones, I think, "Oh. This game must be dead.", and then I go play a more popular game that can gaurantee I will see good action.

Part of the baseline experience of buying an online multiplayer game is having servers to play it on. if that's in question, the whole product is trash. If a game that depends on a community bending over backwards is a thing, I'm out. They need to get their stuff together. Holy crap.......

You must come from the console world, or your very young. That's the only explanation for your apparent lack of knowledge about how things USED to work in PC gaming. Almost EVERY GAME used rental servers. There was no matchmaking, and things were fine for most of us.
  • Sixclicks
    5073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    More choice and private servers was always a big reason I preferred PC gaming. I still prefer PC gaming over using my PS4, but I'd definitely like to have private servers like in the old days back.

I wouldn't say console players are brainwashed though. Consoles have always been about simple plug in and play gaming. Many people prefer simplicity.
  • Jaskaman
    647 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    A tweet from @dan_mitre ...
    ""In a couple of weeks (give or take) you'll get a close look at Maps and Multiplayer features. Community Tools like RSP, Platoons, Squad comms, etc. are things we need to get into more - we're discussing how to do so and at what level we can detail them out."

it's what, a couple of months before the release date (delayed, mind you) and they're only discussing the possibility of implementing any community features.
    if we pretend for a second that the tweet is true...than what they're saying is that they're disgustingly incompetent and have absolutely no idea what they're doing. and that's the best case scenario.

Yes agree..
    My last twitter coversation...

Clearly it means nothing but I will keep hounding till we get an answer either way.

Commented there as well....
  • orangebionic
    232 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    olT3lo wrote: »

You must come from the console world, or your very young. That's the only explanation for your apparent lack of knowledge about how things USED to work in PC gaming. Almost EVERY GAME used rental servers. There was no matchmaking, and things were fine for most of us.

stop living in the past. nobody needs boosters and badmins.
    nobody cares what used to be.
  • Metal_Jockets
    247 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

stop living in the past.

If you feel that by having an overall better gaming experience combined with a greater sence of community spirit "the past" ... Well..you can have the future, enjoy.
  • orangebionic
    232 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

stop living in the past.

If you feel that by having an overall better gaming experience combined with a greater sence of community spirit "the past" ... Well..you can have the future, enjoy.

matter of point of view, really. I am not missing community of boosters and admins kicking anyone who gets in their way of steamrolling opposition. At least nowadays everyone is on equal footing.

I take the future without snotnose boosters , thnak you very much.
  • Metal_Jockets

stop living in the past.

matter of point of view, really.

It certainly is..

• -Antares65z
    1635 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018

My experience has been that those who complain the most about badmins usually turn out to be toxic players and often cheaters. You sure seem to have an issue with badmins. Why is that? I've spent years playing on rented servers and my experience encountering badmins has been minimal. Not saying there aren't any out there. But if you aren't causing trouble on the server, its rare to have issues with an admin. Looks like you enjoy the Hellriegel. 95 **** huh?

• orangebionic

My experience has been that those who complain the most about badmins usually turn out to be toxic players and often cheaters. You sure seem to have an issue with badmins. Why is that? I've spent years playing on rented servers and my experience encountering badmins has been minimal. Not saying there aren't any out there. But if you aren't causing trouble on the server, its rare to have issues with an admin.

If admins are your mates, clanmates , sure. It a breeze, they will always get your back, kick that pesky pilot, ban that good sniper, yeah, awesome.

Most people who just joined and have no friends among those who run the servers are usually at receiving end of admin abuse.

Just because i dont get along with boosting bullies, and prefer fair environment for everyone doesnt make me cheater or toxic.
    Its irrevelant anyway , Dice works to improve that mess, and hopefully we wont have that issue no more, no matter how loud some will scream and stomp their little feet.
  • -Antares65z
    1635 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    If admins are your mates, clanmates , sure. It a breeze, they will always get your back, kick that pesky pilot, ban that good sniper, yeah, awesome.

Most people who just joined and have no friends among those who run the servers are usually at receiving end of admin abuse.

Just because i dont get along with boosting bullies, and prefer fair environment for everyone doesnt make me cheater or toxic. Its irrevelant anyway , Dice works to improve that mess, and hopefully we wont have that issue no more, no matter how loud some will scream and stomp their little feet.

There are servers that are run by immature people with fragile egos who kick and ban people because they're good. But my
    experience has been that the majority of rented servers out there aren't toxic environments. In most cases, the players who get messed with are doing something wrong, which doesn't include being good. Usually they are filling the chat with garbage.

I'm not sure what this "boosting bullies" thing is? Are you referring to players who get on a server and boost for weapons/perks etc? Who really cares? Just as long as you earn your stuff legitimately, thats all that really matters.

If you plan on playing BF1 in 6-12 months, I'd get use to the idea that you'll most likely have to play on rented servers. EA will most certainly start shutting down their official servers after BF5 launches. It will be gradual but you'll see their numbers dwindling. Players will migrate to rented servers because those servers are on favorites and have the most chance of drawing other players.