Is BFV chasing PUBG and Fortnite

Comments

• V2Face
    2681 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    My main gripe is they are tailoring the game to fit the BR style of combat while attempting to stick to the formula of previous success. Vehicles have always been the strength of the franchise and in the beta and what I heard about in alpha, it’s been severely disappointing. Tank play is sluggish and planes are a joke. Let’s hope by launch these issues are addressed but with DICE and the good on paper, poorly implemented live service this probably won’t happen
  • xXCA_RageXx
    1038 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    EVERY game is chasing Fortnite right now. Why? Because Fortnite is making WAAAAY more money than anyone else. Kind of a silly comment to even make because it's what happens ALL THE TIME. Game developers will always be chasing the games that are the most successful. Same thing happened with Super Mario Bros. back in the 80's. No different today.

If a dev wants to chase Fortnite they should make a new IP. It just does not work with existing IP owned by someone else (Star Wars) or an actual historical event (WW2).

They could have made BC3 and done the whole “selling skins funds future development” thing.

But, they didn’t. They screwed up. And im getting closer each day to cancelling my pre-order. I was also going to buy it for my buddy with whom I’ve been playing BF games since 2002. He doesn’t really want it and I can’t believe it would be possible for me not to get BF but... its getting there. What a shame, I wonder if that WW3 game is really going to happen. Sigh, night is fallen on BF, yet another victim of EA and DICE.

Edited for swearing. - EA_Cian

If people really wanted BC3, I think we would already have it. Boring and uninteresting part of the series past the implementation of destruction. Why would they make an entire game for a mode that they can give to us for free with our purchase of BF5. You over exaggerating folk are just too silly at this point.
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • xXCA_RageXx
    1038 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If it is having an identity crisis, I don't consider that a bad thing. I do not want another battlefield game where all we can do is the same exact thing we did in the last 2 battlefields.

Just because one game is good doesn't mean it will have the same appeal two games later. BF3, BF4, and BF1 are very similar, imo.

If they don't attempt to make it new with BR and attrition, I wouldn't buy it. More BF conquest with tanks, aircrafts, and infantry? That's getting stale. We do the same thing in every game.

How are you guys not bored yet?

Thats how I feel somewhat. I absolutely loved Cod4, but actually hated playing it remastered. Should have left in my nostalgic bank.
  • A_Cool_Gorilla
    1374 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    I wouldn't say they're chasing them purely due to what we've seen so far.

I'll judge it when I see the design of the Battle Royale mode. If they take the genre and push it forward by a considerable amount, then I'll be pretty happy with it. If they go the Black Ops 4 route... then I'll be pretty disappointed. Don't get me wrong, Blackout still pushes the genre forward... but it's just not to the extent that I want. They just took the PUBG mode, and added on top of it.

I want to see the core pillars of that genre to be seriously scrutinized and iterated upon. More of the same just won't be enough for me.
  • SirBobdk
    4759 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    wrote Hay-its-dudeman wrote:
    Well, for me it have always been about playing with my clan mates on TS and not so much about the game.
    The socialce is more important. We meet and have fun talking about much more than just the game.
    We don't need new game modes, assignments, attrition, unlocks and upgrades to enjoy the game and not get bored.
    Rental servers, balanced weapons/vehicles and well designed CQ maps are enough for us.
  • Don't see how BFV is pulling from PUBG and Fortnite just because there's going to be a battle Royale mode.

Apart from it probably not even being in the game at launch, it's being made by an entirely separate studio, not DICE.

I also don't see how attrition is pulled from BR games.

I think it's less of an identity crisis, and more of an issue with people not getting exactly what they wanted or expected and projecting that onto the game and it's devs. People act like Battlefield can't change things up while ignoring the crazy changes in the series from games like BF2 to games like BF3.
  • lorenzburg
    63 postsMember Member
    V2Face wrote: »
    I have had this thought for awhile now and couldn’t put my finger on the changes to BF and it’s relation to the competition in the FPS market until now. I am aware that popularity typically steers the trends in video games and that’s seen in a lot of titles. The addition of Battle royale and attrition system shows that battlefield would rather chase the market instead of sticking with what made it popular in the first place, combined arms warfare on large maps.

My question for you guys is does this game want to be a tactical or arcade shooter? I honestly think that the game is having an identity crisis that might hurt it at launch.

I don't know about battle royale because I don't play those kind of games (Fortnite, PUBG, etc.), but the "attrition" system doesn't sound bad, I mean, running out of ammo fast is frustrating but I think that it was meant to "force" lone wolves or those who just look for kills to conquer positions or defend them, so that: "you want to keep killing? Go and take/defend the supply!"
  • Noodlesocks
    3452 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BF5 is going to be too busy chasing it's own pre-release promises to chase the fame of other games.
  • BGHFlakjacket
    1286 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    They have to stay with current trends. Battle Royale is fun. BF could really have a good thing with this. I just hope they can do it right. And then not screw it up with repeated "patches" that ruin gameplay.
  • UnearthedCO
    176 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This is what happens when you listen to a million people on Reddit and the followers of large youtubers. They should make a game with zero input from anyone in the community and see where they land. I understand trying to please large groups from all sides but it clearly isn't working.

This is the best comment ever!! DICE listens way too much to the community. BF1 was a hit and DICE/EA made a lot of money. Why change the formula with BFV if BF1 wasn't broken in the first place?
  • A_Cool_Gorilla
    1374 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    This is what happens when you listen to a million people on Reddit and the followers of large youtubers. They should make a game with zero input from anyone in the community and see where they land. I understand trying to please large groups from all sides but it clearly isn't working.

This is the best comment ever!! DICE listens way too much to the community. BF1 was a hit and DICE/EA made a lot of money. Why change the formula with BFV if BF1 wasn't broken in the first place?

A lot of players would beg to differ, myself included.

For me, BFV has a chance of being one of the best BF games to date.
  • BaronVonGoon
    7017 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If it is having an identity crisis, I don't consider that a bad thing. I do not want another battlefield game where all we can do is the same exact thing we did in the last 2 battlefields.

Just because one game is good doesn't mean it will have the same appeal two games later. BF3, BF4, and BF1 are very similar, imo.

If they don't attempt to make it new with BR and attrition, I wouldn't buy it. More BF conquest with tanks, aircrafts, and infantry? That's getting stale. We do the same thing in every game.

Nope. Conquest is Battlefield. Not going to comment on the other modes since I only play conquest but definitely not bored of it. Bored of BF1 guns and maps. BFV will provide new maps and new guns. Faster TTK is what this forum wants (see ttk 2.0 thread). Fast ttk is superior.
  • Mystriall
    497 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yes, battlefield is conquest. That being said some of the other game modes are quite entertaining aswell.
    -
    BF1 might have sold alot, but to me it wasn't a good game. I do believe i pre-ordered it back in the days. Yet I've only played it for like 360 hours or so. I have well over 10 000 hours in BF1942.
    -
    BF1 got old pretty quick in my eyes, it has alot of variety in weapons and maps, however, there's just something about its arcade style gameplay that i really couldn't identify with. I've always described BF1 as a single player - online "multiplayer" game. Because even when I'm playing online i feel like I'm playing a single player game. Headless chickens running from flag to flag. The true nature of battlefield has been lost.. I do hope BFV will change that, and i think it can.
    -
  • MacaqueX
    674 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

played BF1 yesterday, and BFV beta was milion times better imo.
  • Stefanoviic
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2018

Can't agree more!
    BFV's new gunplay mechanics is going to be the best feature of the game I guess. It felt so good already in the beta, and the way you can learn the recoil pattern and such makes it for real competitive gameplay. This, together with some good maps could make this game a beast imo. BF1 new features felt so gimmicky and people either love or hate it: behemoths, gasmasks, mortars, bayonet charge, etc.. Also a bunch of the maps in BF1 are not so well designed imo, I really hope they nail the BF5 maps. I'd rather see a few really good maps added to the game, then a lot mediocre ones on a frequent base.

• greymanic
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Sort of like Japan chased America's auto industry? If they're chasing those other games, they're doing it better... at least more to my liking. Enjoyed the alpha / beta tests more than any shooter I've played in years.
  • Hawxxeye
    6894 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

The only thing that BF1 does better is that it has those quick 4-legged armored, self healing, self ressuplying, sniping and AT grenade launching platforms.
  • Hawxxeye wrote: »

The only thing that BF1 does better is that it has those quick 4-legged armored, self healing, self ressuplying, sniping and AT grenade launching platforms.

They're alright, but even then I can take down a cav with a Howell in like 5 seconds flat. They used to be great and a legit threat, now they're useless off of the horse, and the horse is essentially a huge "shoot here" sign.

As for BF1, I tried playing after the beta and couldn't even force myself through two matches. Fort De Vaux came up as the 2nd match and like 45 seconds into it I was back at my dashboard. I play BF4 now to pass time until BF5 drops, but it still feels super cheesy compared to the beta. BF5 is the direction I've wanted DICE to take the franchise for years.
  • Hawxxeye
    6894 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »

They're alright, but even then I can take down a cav with a Howell in like 5 seconds flat. They used to be great and a legit threat, now they're useless off of the horse, and the horse is essentially a huge "shoot here" sign.

As for BF1, I tried playing after the beta and couldn't even force myself through two matches. Fort De Vaux came up as the 2nd match and like 45 seconds into it I was back at my dashboard. I play BF4 now to pass time until BF5 drops, but it still feels super cheesy compared to the beta. BF5 is the direction I've wanted DICE to take the franchise for years.

I found the last few weeks that the key to success with cavalry is to engage enemies from far enough that the cavarly rifle is at an advantage as well as throw the grenades at them.
    The only real threat from infantry are the AT rockets at that point.
    But if one stays with the team and acts like a light fire support he can kill a lot of enemies and be relatively safe from being focused fired at.

• Hawxxeye
    edited October 2018
    @H3nry_K1llinger6
    I found the last few weeks that the key to success with cavalry is to engage enemies from far enough that the cavarly rifle is at an advantage as well as throw the grenades at them.
    The only real threat from infantry are the AT rockets at that point.
    But if one stays with the team and acts like a light fire support he can kill a lot of enemies and be relatively safe from being focused fired at.