Weekly BF

What is Broken Airplanes? For 1,000, Alex.

VectoringViper
3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Hi all,

The airplanes in the beta build were severely lacking. This view is held due to the feeling you get when flying the planes. They feel far too cumbersome. They're slow, and they take far too long to complete a turn. You can fly them fast in a straight line, but that's it. If you want to turn, get ready to lose all your speed and become a sitting duck for around 10 seconds. That's about how long it takes to complete a full circle turn. In previous Battlefield titles, turn completeion was much more rapid. In BF2, BF3, BF4, and BF1, turns could be completed much faster, and this quick turn rate created for a fast paced and fun arcade flight experience. Flight in Battlefield has always been arcade. It has to be arcade for planes to be useful and fun in the map sizes that Battlefield offers. Any turn rate above 7.5 seconds is far too slow for a fun aerial experience. I have some proposals to make the planes better. The rate of turn should be increased so that planes can complete a full circle turn in no more than 7 seconds. The best way to do this would be to make the planes have a constant speed throughout maneuvering. This means that the heavy speed drop we experienced when maneuvering in the beta should be eliminated. A fixed cruising speed should be implemented, and it is at this speed that planes should achieve their "corner airspeed" (the speed at which an aircraft can perform it's maximum rate turn). This cruising speed should be about as fast as the BF 109 could fly in a straight line. Decreasing speed in planes (breaking) should make you less manueverable all around. If you decrease speed, your time to complete a turn should increase, and your turn radius should also increase. Furthermore, it should take longer to regain speed after decreassing speed than it did in the beta. This would make aircraft strafing runs riskier for the pilot. If you slow down to have a longer "time on target" for a strafe vs infantry or armor, you make yourself an easier target for them to shoot. That's a good way to balance air vs ground engagements. The turn radius of the planes should be either maintained as is or increased. A larger radius turn would give infantry and vehicles more time to evade plane strafing, and in my view that's a good thing. Planes should also have a boost ability that makes them faster but also greatly hinders their mobility, akin to the afterburners of BF3 and BF4. I welcome feedback from pilots and non-pilots alike. Please comment your thoughts below.

Comments

• xXCA_RageXx
    1038 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Wall of Text, next please.
  • rainkloud
    548 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hi all,

The airplanes in the beta build were severely lacking. This view is held due to the feeling you get when flying the planes. They feel far too cumbersome. They're slow, and they take far too long to complete a turn. You can fly them fast in a straight line, but that's it. If you want to turn, get ready to lose all your speed and become a sitting duck for around 10 seconds. That's about how long it takes to complete a full circle turn. In previous Battlefield titles, turn completeion was much more rapid. In BF2, BF3, BF4, and BF1, turns could be completed much faster, and this quick turn rate created for a fast paced and fun arcade flight experience. Flight in Battlefield has always been arcade. It has to be arcade for planes to be useful and fun in the map sizes that Battlefield offers. Any turn rate above 7.5 seconds is far too slow for a fun aerial experience. I have some proposals to make the planes better. The rate of turn should be increased so that planes can complete a full circle turn in no more than 7 seconds. The best way to do this would be to make the planes have a constant speed throughout maneuvering. This means that the heavy speed drop we experienced when maneuvering in the beta should be eliminated. A fixed cruising speed should be implemented, and it is at this speed that planes should achieve their "corner airspeed" (the speed at which an aircraft can perform it's maximum rate turn). This cruising speed should be about as fast as the BF 109 could fly in a straight line. Decreasing speed in planes (breaking) should make you less manueverable all around. If you decrease speed, your time to complete a turn should increase, and your turn radius should also increase. Furthermore, it should take longer to regain speed after decreassing speed than it did in the beta. This would make aircraft strafing runs riskier for the pilot. If you slow down to have a longer "time on target" for a strafe vs infantry or armor, you make yourself an easier target for them to shoot. That's a good way to balance air vs ground engagements. The turn radius of the planes should be either maintained as is or increased. A larger radius turn would give infantry and vehicles more time to evade plane strafing, and in my view that's a good thing. Planes should also have a boost ability that makes them faster but also greatly hinders their mobility, akin to the afterburners of BF3 and BF4. I welcome feedback from pilots and non-pilots alike. Please comment your thoughts below.

Evidently they've already implemented a lot changes to make the planes a bit more nimble and responsive along with making the fighters more similar in handling or at least have advantages and disadvantages that balance the planes out. Having said that I am not ultra confident that we'll see really refined air gameplay out of the box. May take a few patches to resolve.
  • I was of the opinion that Narvik and Rotterdam were just infantry-focused maps and they wanted to get infantry right over everything else in time for the beta. If it were switched and infantry felt broken (like BF1) but vehicles were great, I don't think people would like that.

The majority of players will be playing infantry. They just wanted to get that right, imo.
  • MAGNUM_MU5TACHE
    1173 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I was of the opinion that Narvik and Rotterdam were just infantry-focused maps and they wanted to get infantry right over everything else in time for the beta. If it were switched and infantry felt broken (like BF1) but vehicles were great, I don't think people would like that.

The majority of players will be playing infantry. They just wanted to get that right, imo.

I think they nerfed the planes on purpose because COD players hate getting owned by ace pilots. The same was done to the tanks.
  • orangebionic
    232 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I was of the opinion that Narvik and Rotterdam were just infantry-focused maps and they wanted to get infantry right over everything else in time for the beta. If it were switched and infantry felt broken (like BF1) but vehicles were great, I don't think people would like that.

I think they nerfed the planes on purpose because COD players hate getting owned by ace pilots. The same was done to the tanks.

ace pilots lol
    you just fly, light up map with spotting, drop bombs on infantry, fly away. Rinse and repeat.
    There is nothing " ace" about it.
  • DeadlyDanDaMan
    615 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Pretty sure the Devs already said they were going to make the planes more agile.
  • SirBobdk
    4119 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

ace pilots lol
    you just fly, light up map with spotting, drop bombs on infantry, fly away. Rinse and repeat.
    Lol, 99% of the playerbase can't fly and die within the first 30 sec.
  • Callahan44er
    5062 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

ace pilots lol

Planes get a lot of kills in every game,in bf3 and 4 there were matches were you didnt even realize there were jets...it is supereasy. Dogfights are still too much for most players,but farming infantry is really something many players can do.
  • SirBobdk
    4119 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

ace pilots lol

Planes get a lot of kills in every game,in bf3 and 4 there were matches were you didnt even realize there were jets...it is supereasy. Dogfights are still too much for most players,but farming infantry is really something many players can do.
    Agree, farming infantry is easy, but it wouldn't happen if there were skilled pilots on both sides.
    It was harder to fly in BF3 and 4. BF1 was/is a joke.
  • von_Campenstein
    6571 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

ace pilots lol

It's just not very interesting. WW2 dogfights have the potential to be the most interesting flying in all the series with many iconic planes to choose from and where a game mode set in the air would make more sense than it did in BF1.
  • SirBobdk

ace pilots lol

It's just not very interesting. WW2 dogfights have the potential to be the most interesting flying in all the series with many iconic planes to choose from and where a game mode set in the air would make more sense than it did in BF1.
    Agree
  • madman001able
    611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I just really hope that there is a skill element introduced that involves more than just a 'my plane turns faster than your plane' kinda thing.
  • SirBobdk
    I just really hope that there is a skill element introduced that involves more than just a 'my plane turns faster than your plane' kinda thing.
    Turn faster in many cases won't help an inexperienced pilot. Skilled pilots don't fly in circles. They have learned different maneuvers and use of throttle that bring them behind an enemy who fly in circle quit fast.
  • madman001able
    611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Turn faster in many cases won't help an inexperienced pilot. Skilled pilots don't fly in circles. They have learned different maneuvers and use of throttle that bring them behind an enemy who fly in circle quit fast.

Who said anything about circles? lol.