Goodbye Auto rotation/aim assist, you won’t be missed

BURGERKRIEG
1038 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Aim assist. It’s a necessary evil for controllers.

It’s got two components in BF1. The snapping part, which drags your weapon towards the nearest enemy, called auto rotation. And a slowdown part which occurs when ADSing and passing over an enemy target, which IMO is enough assistance for a controller.

The snapping part, auto rotation is cut from BFV, this was stated before, but was again confirmed in the latest dev talk. This means a lot more for console players than PC players.

What it means is console players will actually have to get better at aiming. The game will not be aiming for you by snapping to targets anymore.

Since BF is an FPS game aim is a core skill. Now I’ll know if I get beaten in a difficult 1vs1, it was because my opponent was more skilled than me.

Goodbye aim assist you won’t be missed.

Comments

• mav_smileyface
    1313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    Was this relevant to the beta too? As in snap too was not in the beta

Tbh it was the only reason martini Henry DBs could hit a thing.. plus I got sick and tired of adding and my aim being dragged away from my target!
  • BURGERKRIEG
    1038 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Tbh it was the only reason martini Henry DBs could hit a thing.. plus I got sick and tired of adding and my aim being dragged away from my target!

Pretty sure auto rotation wasn’t in the beta.

I had auto rotation turned off in BF1 for a while because it causes problems when aiming at grouped enemies.

However it puts you at a disadvantage if you and an enemy both run into each other at the same time rounding a corner etc. as the enemy will get a few micro seconds advantage with snap assist.

Now everybody on console not cheating by using a keyboard and mouse, will be on a level playing field where their skill will be a much more significant factor in deciding who wins an engagement.

• Jonny_ChaosMCR
    1350 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I wouldn't mind this, if there wasn't KBM users plaguing consoles. That was my first worry when I heard him mention it on the video, but he also spoke about KBM users on console, then followed it up saying they're trying to make it more fair (if I remember correctly) so can anyone explain to me how this makes it fairer for us legitimate, as intended since the console was born controller users?

There was definitely something at play because I remember it being the only way I could kill those invisible enemies.
  • mav_smileyface
    1313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think people are over reacting regarding MnK it’s such a small minority you’ll probably never come against someone using it
  • DeadlyDanDaMan
    615 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I wouldn't mind this, if there wasn't KBM users plaguing consoles.

The amount of people using M+KB on consoles is incredibly small. And people who play consoles and are used to controllers aren't all of a sudden going to get a M+KB and become gods of aiming. That's not how it works.
  • BURGERKRIEG
    I understand that people cheating by using a keyboard and mouse is a real concern.

In fact I’d like to see official statements from DICE ensuring they won’t be supported and for measures to be taken to prevent them appearing in future.

However having snap aim only lowers the skill bar for console users collectively.
  • ProAssassin2003
    3710 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    So Noobs will be even worse then in Battlefield 1 and games will be more lopsided. Great news.
  • PopyBear4
    47 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Really glad to see this change made.
  • Sixclicks
    5075 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I understand that people cheating by using a keyboard and mouse is a real concern.

In fact I’d like to see official statements from DICE ensuring they won’t be supported and for measures to be taken to prevent them appearing in future.

However having snap aim only lowers the skill bar for console users collectively.

Both Sony and Microsoft have said keyboard and mouse on console is not cheating. Thus they won't do anything to prevent it.
  • mav_smileyface
    edited October 2018
    I mean I would use mouse and keyboard if it wasn’t an overpriced AF option right now

FPS is just so much better thst way
  • Was this relevant to the beta too? As in snap too was not in the beta

There was 100% snap in the beta. David Sirland confirmed it was in the beta build but would not be in the final release.
  • BURGERKRIEG
    Sixclicks wrote: »
    Both Sony and Microsoft have said keyboard and mouse on console is not cheating. Thus they won't do anything to prevent it.

They’d tell you black was white if they thought it would sell more consoles, especially ones that encourage the customer to spend more on peripheral devices.

Eventually there would be a backlash within multiplayer audiences.

Is anyone really going to step up to bat arguing that a controller is an equal match for a mouse when it come to precession?

• BURGERKRIEG
    edited October 2018
    There was 100% snap in the beta. David Sirland confirmed it was in the beta build but would not be in the final release.

Interesting.

It wasn’t until after the beta I read that snap was being cut. Then in the dev talk I heard it again.

Wasn’t it something to do with TTK from full auto weapons stated as the reason for the decision?

• marcanthony421
    118 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I dont play with it now so I’m excited to not lose to shotguns that snap to me or people who can barely controll the recoil but magically stay on target
  • joshualee585900
    89 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    So Noobs will be even worse then in Battlefield 1 and games will be more lopsided. Great news.

Man do you even play on console it’s terrible it takes no skill and not everyone needs a participation Trophy finally battlefield on console takes skill
  • EmberQV
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Aim assist. It’s a necessary evil for controllers.

It’s got two components in BF1. The snapping part, which drags your weapon towards the nearest enemy, called auto rotation. And a slowdown part which occurs when ADSing and passing over an enemy target, which IMO is enough assistance for a controller.

The snapping part, auto rotation is cut from BFV, this was stated before, but was again confirmed in the latest dev talk. This means a lot more for console players than PC players.

What it means is console players will actually have to get better at aiming. The game will not be aiming for you by snapping to targets anymore.

Since BF is an FPS game aim is a core skill. Now I’ll know if I get beaten in a difficult 1vs1, it was because my opponent was more skilled than me.

Goodbye aim assist you won’t be missed.

Did they finally removed aim assist? Oh yes what a great news. Battlefield V right?
  • DisguisedMike
    432 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    I've been abusing auto rotation since BF3 so this is quite a big change for me but I don't mind. I'm curious to see how this will affect my performance. Hopefully my accuracy won't suffer too much.
  • MarxistDictator
    5046 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    Best news since no more sniper OHK.

Unlike sniper cancer there is no support for the game aiming for you. Or there should not be since it is indefensible. May as well make a racing game with auto turning.
  • BURGERKRIEG
    EmberQV wrote: »

Did they finally removed aim assist? Oh yes what a great news. Battlefield V right?

Right, at least the snapping to target part.

• Sixclicks
    5075 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Sixclicks wrote: »

Is anyone really going to step up to bat arguing that a controller is an equal match for a mouse when it come to precession?

It's not. And although I don't play many games on my PS4 since I prefer my PC, I still think using M&K on console shouldn't be allowed. But like I said, Microsoft and Sony are fine with it.