Goodbye Auto rotation/aim assist, you won’t be missed

Comments

• BURGERKRIEG
    1012 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Sixclicks wrote: »
    Sixclicks wrote: »
    Both Sony and Microsoft have said keyboard and mouse on console is not cheating. Thus they won't do anything to prevent it.

Is anyone really going to step up to bat arguing that a controller is an equal match for a mouse when it come to precession?

It's not. And although I don't play many games on my PS4 since I prefer my PC, I still think using M&K on console shouldn't be allowed. But like I said, Microsoft and Sony are fine with it.

Yeah they are totally fine with lootboxes, and games like SWBF2 lining the shelves in toys stores.

If they could sell timed wall hacks and call the “ultra gamer elite enhancements” on scratch cards they would do that too.

It’s up to us, the players to tell them what’s fair and what isn’t, in the games we play, as they couldn’t care less if there’s a buck to be made. They’ve made that clear in the past two years.
  • ProAssassin2003
    3639 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    So Noobs will be even worse then in Battlefield 1 and games will be more lopsided. Great news.

Man do you even play on console it’s terrible it takes no skill and not everyone needs a participation Trophy finally battlefield on console takes skill

Yes I do and most people are horrible even with Aim Assist. This will only make games even more unbalanced.

And there is a multitude of things that requires skill not just how you aim. The Aim Assist is blown out of proportion anyway. And BFV is removing snap to aim but it is being replaced by a magnetic system by DICE where it will slow down instead of snapping to Target so don't get to excited.
  • stonedape420
    35 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    You're wrong OP, it will be missed. I use BF1's official PDP controller on PC since beta, check my time played. I'm whole hardheartedly pissed off that auto-rotation is removed as opposed to simply off by default. It's a falsehood to think it can't remain in the game in a weak state or even given a slider for a narrow range of aim assist. At least try spending a couple thousand hours going up against m/k users with a controller with and without aim assist and then give us your informed opinion. That's the future, co-existence of various input types in a game due to cross-platform play, nothing needs to be done for m/k users with DPI choice, macro'd exploits on demand, etc. The focus is on controller users being empowered to be competitive and a worthy foe to a m/k user. Crappy experience of losing fight after fight at the ceiling of skill would inherently lead to playing less if not leave game for the sake of bad experience (much like what happened after turning off aim assist for a while in BF1).
    Post edited by stonedape420 on
  • PopyBear4
    47 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    @stonedape420 I play on console & it won't be missed at all for me. Can't wait to get rid of it! With you playing on PC, why not just use m/k?
  • madman001able
    611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Was this relevant to the beta too? As in snap too was not in the beta

Tbh it was the only reason martini Henry DBs could hit a thing.. plus I got sick and tired of adding and my aim being dragged away from my target!

It was active during the beta testing on xbox. I would prefer both assist be removed, but at least the auto rotation is gone. Thats a big step in the right direction.
  • stonedape420
    35 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    because it's ergonomically suitable for me with my 2 compressed discs and deformed shoulder blades
  • madman001able
    611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I understand that people cheating by using a keyboard and mouse is a real concern.

In fact I’d like to see official statements from DICE ensuring they won’t be supported and for measures to be taken to prevent them appearing in future.

However having snap aim only lowers the skill bar for console users collectively.

I would like to see this as well. If it really is just a very small group of players exploiting the M&K then there should be no issue.
  • Popa2caps
    580 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Aim assist. It’s a necessary evil for controllers.

It’s got two components in BF1. The snapping part, which drags your weapon towards the nearest enemy, called auto rotation. And a slowdown part which occurs when ADSing and passing over an enemy target, which IMO is enough assistance for a controller.

The snapping part, auto rotation is cut from BFV, this was stated before, but was again confirmed in the latest dev talk. This means a lot more for console players than PC players.

What it means is console players will actually have to get better at aiming. The game will not be aiming for you by snapping to targets anymore.

Since BF is an FPS game aim is a core skill. Now I’ll know if I get beaten in a difficult 1vs1, it was because my opponent was more skilled than me.

Goodbye aim assist you won’t be missed.

I still think it's odd the beta on PC had aim assist while using a controller, i guess it makes it easy for console players to move to PC gaming.
  • DeadlyDanDaMan
    615 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    And BFV is removing snap to aim but it is being replaced by a magnetic system by DICE where it will slow down instead of snapping to Target so don't get to excited.

That's already in BF1, and it was in the Beta for BF5 as well. Your aim speed slows down when you have someone in your sights. When I played the Beta of BF5, I cranked that speed up to the max, because it actually made tracking a target almost impossible when ADS.
  • Popa2caps
    580 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2018
    Aim assist. It’s a necessary evil for controllers.

It’s got two components in BF1. The snapping part, which drags your weapon towards the nearest enemy, called auto rotation. And a slowdown part which occurs when ADSing and passing over an enemy target, which IMO is enough assistance for a controller.

The snapping part, auto rotation is cut from BFV, this was stated before, but was again confirmed in the latest dev talk. This means a lot more for console players than PC players.

What it means is console players will actually have to get better at aiming. The game will not be aiming for you by snapping to targets anymore.

Since BF is an FPS game aim is a core skill. Now I’ll know if I get beaten in a difficult 1vs1, it was because my opponent was more skilled than me.

Goodbye aim assist you won’t be missed.

Start at 10:29
  • Skill4Reel
    359 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think the devs just need to focus on making aiming with the console controllers feel more natural because in Battlefield 1 there are too many situations during combat in multiplayer where it feels like my input while shooting is being negated. Either the tracking is so slow that it feels like I can't control my aim at all while the reticle is stuck where it is, or my gun is being pulled away from a target towards something that I am not even trying to shoot at. It too often does not feel like I have total control over where I aim my weapon, and that to me is a sign of sloppy assist implementation. I shouldn't be noticing the assists at all if they are there, while they are helping my aim with the controller feel as natural as possible.
  • madman001able
    edited October 2018
    Skill4Reel wrote: »
    I think the devs just need to focus on making aiming with the console controllers feel more natural because in Battlefield 1 there are too many situations during combat in multiplayer where it feels like my input while shooting is being negated. Either the tracking is so slow that it feels like I can't control my aim at all while the reticle is stuck where it is, or my gun is being pulled away from a target towards something that I am not even trying to shoot at. It too often does not feel like I have total control over where I aim my weapon, and that to me is a sign of sloppy assist implementation. I shouldn't be noticing the assists at all if they are there, while they are helping my aim with the controller feel as natural as possible.

The gunplay controls in BF1 were so bad that i gave up on the game by level 23 lol. The gunplay controls in the BF5 beta are the best we have ever had on console imo. Im lovin it. I always play without assist because it feels to much like a auto aim gimmick to me.
  • Ploodovic
    1642 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Skill4Reel wrote: »

That’s the Slowdown aim assist doing its thing. It automatically stays on target, and tracking it for you, if they’re moving. Considering the more hard core nature of BFV, and that the auto rotation is being removed, it’s curious that the tracking part of slowdown is still in the game.
  • 24OmniTactics24
    147 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You guys aren't seeing the whole picture the snap on was there to combat the ever increasing amount of mouse cheaters now you will have absolutely no chance and I will have a 7kd on foot when my xim 4 Apex comes in the only thing that levels the playing field is now gone you brought this upon your self you should have worked on tactics instead
  • Ploodovic
    1642 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    You guys aren't seeing the whole picture the snap on was there to combat the ever increasing amount of mouse cheaters now you will have absolutely no chance and I will have a 7kd on foot when my xim 4 Apex comes in the only thing that levels the playing field is now gone you brought this upon your self you should have worked on tactics instead

I’ve been playing BF1 with both aim assists off for the last year and a half. I’ve yet to experience the scourge of these mouse and keyboard players. I doubt BFV will be any different.
  • Danz_RS
    503 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    Nah, I'd rather have a FPS game on consoles where the imput to aim is 100% dependent on the player, without the need for the game to do it for you. I can already feel that the CQC fights will be much more fair, especially for those like me who have never used any assist in more than 3000h of combined BF experience.

And from my experience, less than 1% of the players use xim or some **** like that. It doesn't have that much advantage if you're very experient with the analog sticks, especially now that we have so many sliders for deadzones, acceleration, uniform soldier aiming, different sensitivities. There are so many things to imrpove your aim that aim assist is not really necessary anymore.

• BURGERKRIEG
    1012 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well reading the weekly updates it’s looks like DICE will be adding auto rotation to some weapons.

This is contradictory information from what was said in the dev talk re. gunplay.

So it’s unclear what they are doing.

• SergeantGekko
    72 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    So Noobs will be even worse then in Battlefield 1 and games will be more lopsided. Great news.

Yes, if you're good at something, then usually you're better than someone else.
    If you on the other hand are not good doing something, how'bout practicing?
  • madman001able
    Ploodovic wrote: »

I’ve been playing BF1 with both aim assists off for the last year and a half. I’ve yet to experience the scourge of these mouse and keyboard players. I doubt BFV will be any different.

Given enough time i see it becoming a massive issue. It would be nice to see game developers get out in front of it and present a solution for this problem.
  • Popa2caps
    Ploodovic wrote: »

Given enough time i see it becoming a massive issue. It would be nice to see game developers get out in front of it and present a solution for this problem.

At least Dice is not being as low as some devs like PUBG Corp. and trying to ban their accounts. People want to relax and have fun with controllers, some like mouse & keyboard, It's a two way street.

You're going to see many changes with consoles, the first real change was the midway console updates, like the Xbox One OG / S. X all playing together same with Sony devices. That is more of a disadvantage than any input device. I say this, because mouse & keyboard is not easy at all to use if all you know if consoles.

Example, Mouse and keyboard normal setup is WASD for movement, but spacebar (mostly) for jumping. Consoles jump button is (mostly) A / X. You're not going to just pick up a M&K and be god mode. The issue is these devices allow the use of scripts to reduce recoil and handling.

With Microsoft teaming up with Razer you might get more mouse and keyboard players on consoles as Dice could very well support mouse and keyboard on console. I say this because Battlefield 5 on PC with a controller works just like a console does with aim assist, I feel they might make all the games the same or even add crossplay at some point, and getting all the devices working together is the first stage.

You might think it won't happen, but remember EA and Microsoft share a long history together.