Attrition video -- Levelcap

Comments

• BaronVonGoon
    6730 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    To go a little further, you and others are marveling on attrition and it's positive effect on teamplay, right?

Dice's blogpost:

"In fact, if you’re new to Battlefield, you might not even notice the Attrition system; chances are you’ll die before you run out of ammo. New players won’t be punished by the Attrition system"
    *https://www.battlefield.com/news/attrition-system-battlefield-5

Do you see what I'm seeing? A gameplay mechanic intended to enhance teamplay but has NO effect whatsoever on newer players. The ones you're supposed to be teaching? And affects skilled players the more skilled thy get?

Wait.... So Dice wants veterans, Battlefield experts to learn teamplay, not so much new players?

I think they screwed up with this teaching mechanic, don't you? Theyre teaching the wrong group afterall. My my what a mess...
  • SirTerrible
    1689 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    To go a little further, you and others are marveling on attrition and it's positive effect on teamplay, right?

Dice's blogpost:

"In fact, if you’re new to Battlefield, you might not even notice the Attrition system; chances are you’ll die before you run out of ammo. New players won’t be punished by the Attrition system"

Do you see what I'm seeing? A gameplay mechanic intended to enhance teamplay but has NO effect whatsoever on newer players. The ones you're supposed to be teaching? And affects skilled players the more skilled thy get?

Wait.... So Dice wants veterans, Battlefield experts to learn teamplay, not so much new players?

I think they screwed up with this teaching mechanic, don't you? Theyre teaching the group wrong afterall. My my what a mess...

There's no doubt attrition is a complete failure as a mechanic to improve teamplay. Need to look no further than the Support class usage in the beta. Ammo is needed more than ever yet Support usage was ~14% lol.
    -
    At least now they are admitting it's a way to even the playing field. That's closer to the truth.
  • If you look at Dice's blogpost they are splitting the playerbase into two groups, unskilled and skilled*. But let's ignore the term skill for now.

The statement above wound be true if there were no other variables involved. The variable in question here is time. Not all players are created equally, some players die fast and some don't. Attritition affdects players who stay alive longer than it does so those who die fast. If you continue to disagree on this point then we've reached an impasse.

DICE were giving a simple, quick answer to a complex issue that can vary drastically from player to player based on a number of factors. It's not like I agree with what they said either. The entire playerbase can not be grouped into skilled and unskilled players. That's so black and white it's borderline elementary.

You can't just act like there arent people who live long lives and die before running out of ammo at all, or those who die quickly because they fire uneffectively and run out of ammo without paying attention, or the many variations of those two things therein. Then there are guys still going on huge killstreaks and having no issue maintaining ammo from crates. It's not just "living long and running out of ammo a lot" and "dying every 30 seconds and never running out of ammo".
    You're generalizing. You're essentially saying that unskilled players who have one way for attrition to affect them negatively, spraying till empty are somehow equal to skilled players who accomplish so much more in a life and in a round than unskilled players. Yet somehow this mechanic affects both equally. Attritition affects skilled players in more often and limits them in what they can do more so than it does unskilled players. True or not?

Picture this *in BF1*:

-Noob runs out sprays gets 2 kills and dies at 45 seconds because he's a noob, short life expectancy. It's normal.

-Veteran goes on flank or uses superior aim and goes on 21 killsstrsak then dies.

Pictuew this *in BFV*:

-Noob runs out spray gets 2 kills, dies after at 45 because he ran out of ammo.

-Veteran goes on flank or uses superior aim and goes on 9 player killstreak then runs out of ammo and dies.

Veteran affected more negatively by attrition, noob not really affected at all.

How does that not represent an equal effect? Regardless of how long someone lived, both players ran out of ammo quickly and suffered from it. What you think of the merits of thier actions that resulted in running out of ammo doesn't matter at all...

And as for your example I prefer what you said about BF5. I'm not and have never been a fan of the emphasis on lone wolf, capable of anything, solo players we've seen in recent games. I prefer older games in the series. I don't think one man who flanks an objective should be able to take out an entire platoon's worth of the enemy team by himself with zero backup or support to do so.

Even then, it's still possible in BF5, it just takes more thought than in the mindless frag fests the past 3-4 games have been. That's a good direction imo.
    That's like saying fish shouldn't die on land because they have access to oxygen same as humans. There are always other variables involved, skilled and unskilled are variables that you can't ignore. Dice doesn't ignore these variables, they discuss them in the blogpost on attrition, so why are you insisting on ignoring them?

It's because you're acting like every single person that you deem unskilled are going to die before running out of ammo every single time they spawn. Sure, they may run dry less on average, but they still experience the effects of attrition, and spawn with the same reduced ammo everyone else does.

Skill can't be measured based solely on a scale of "skilled" and "unskilled". That's such a ridiculous way to look at this, regardless of what DICE said.
    It's the end game. Adaptation. Ofcourse that's what we will do. But it's irrelevant to the topic being discussed. The principle here is attrition punishes one group more so than it does another. Telling me to accept it and adapt is ridiculous though yes it's the practical thing to do. The point remains, *I* am required to adapt, noob isn't, Dice's blogpost quote says this exactly, in fact, it uses the word 'punishment'.

Whether you consider it punishment is entirely subjective, and depends entirely on how you play. People like myself and others in the thread don't consider it punishing at all because we adapted and treat ammo management as a necessity. I mean, really, you people are calling it a punishment when the worst thing you can say about the mechanic is that it's annoying.

The fact is there are even scrubs complaining about attrition. It's not just the 1%. It doesn't just bug people you claim are high skilled, it bugs people of multiple skill levels for a myriad of reasons. It's entirely subjective.

Saying the argument to adapt is ridiculous, I can't even take that seriously. There have been people told to adapt to things they dislike since BF went mainstream and attracted cryhards.
    This is your interpretation of what I said? This is NOT why I think it's bad. I think it's bad because it targets one group and doesn't target another. Again THEY SAY SO THEMSELVES. It artificially balances out skill. THATS why it's had.

I don't agree that it "targets" any specific group. It will affect everyone to varying degrees of which are near impossible to measure without making ludicrous generalizations like you and DICE.

Because the majority of the playerbase are lone wolves just like me. Meaning we play with randoms. That's how it is. Introducing mechanics to force people to play together DOES NOT work. Seriously, we're arguing this point now? Whatever they do, it won't work. It's a casual game, most players are out there to do whatever they want in a sandbox. Go see Overwatch and see what forced teamplay mechanics do to a playerbase.

It doesn't force people to do anything. Attrition's need to resupply ammo was countered for solo players by resupply crates being places in multiple places all over the map, including at both uncaps and all objectives.

While it further encourages team play, it doesn't force anyone to rely on teammates. I played solo plenty in the beta and barely ever ran out of ammo. Primarily because I changed up how I played to include watching my ammo and making sure I swing by a crate to refill before I spring my battle plan in to action.

I don't see how attrition takes away from the casual nature of the game or prevents solo play altogether.

That was just the beta. In due time I will. And it being selfish is irrelevant when the reason for the drop in kills is attrition, the topic we're discussing. The # of kills is just my example to illustrate how attrition affected me in the beta, it affects many thousands of players the same exact way as it did me.

I still don't see at all how you getting less kills on average than in past games means attrition is bad for the game.

If anything, the new gunplay mechanics allowed me to amass way more kills on average per match than I did in BF1. I dropped 40-50 kills every other match, which I've never really done, and which attrition didn't prevent at all.
  • BaronVonGoon
    6730 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018

Dice's blogpost:

I think they screwed up with this teaching mechanic, don't you? Theyre teaching the group wrong afterall. My my what a mess...

There's no doubt attrition is a complete failure as a mechanic to improve teamplay. Need to look no further than the Support class usage in the beta. Ammo is needed more than ever yet Support usage was ~14% lol.
    -
    At least now they are admitting it's a way to even the playing field. That's closer to the truth.

Woww 14% with so much need for ammo. Goes on to show, it's a casual game. Forcing players to be better teammates just doesn't work.

Yes, and it's good too that they've already made some adjustments to it, don't remember how much more ammo we'll spawning with but it's atleast an improvement over the beta.
  • SirTerrible
    1689 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Dice's blogpost:

-

Woww 14% with so much need for ammo. Goes on to show, it's a casual game. Forcing players to be better teammates just doesn't work.

Yes, and it's good too that they've already made some adjustments to it, don't remember how much more ammo we'll spawning with but it's atleast an improvement over the beta.

76zxnbr79mn11.jpg

Medic and Support were the least used classes in the beta lol. Can't even make this stuff up.
  • BaronVonGoon

Dice's blogpost:

-

76zxnbr79mn11.jpg

Medic and Support were the least used classes in the beta lol. Can't even make this stuff up.

Wow that's insane. Well atleast there will be enough medics. We'll stay alive, though probably ammo-less and fighting with knives.

@H3nry_K1llinger6 I respectfully disagree with you. I just think we're at an impasse and going in circles.
  • JamieCurnock
    557 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    All these people complaining that support and medic were the least used class in the beta, why don't you all start using medic or support then? Show people how important it is or are you only interested in the 'cool' classes like recon or assault? Or is it that you don't want to do the resupplying but expect people to follow you like lost dogs doing the job you don't want to?

Assault and recon classes require you put no real effort toward team support through resupplying so be happy if people resupply you at all, if not do it yourself, be the one to resupply instead of relying on other people to do it for you.

Apologies to those who already play medic or support and do concentrate on resupplying.
  • Sixclicks
    5073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018

Dice's blogpost:

-

76zxnbr79mn11.jpg

It's weird. Someone from DICE recently said the recon class was the 3rd most played class in the beta, not the 2nd. I'll see if I can find the post.

That pic you linked is the numbers I've been using though up until I read that DICE post.
  • Sixclicks
    5073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Here's the post I was talking about. It was in the weekly debriefing on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/9lngks/battlefield_v_weekly_debrief_october_5th/

reddit_snipers.png

That seems to refute that infographic, so I wonder which is actually correct.
  • TyroneLoyd
    1340 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    All these people complaining that support and medic were the least used class in the beta, why don't you all start using medic or support then? Show people how important it is or are you only interested in the 'cool' classes like recon or assault? Or is it that you don't want to do the resupplying but expect people to follow you like lost dogs doing the job you don't want to?

Assault and recon classes require you put no real effort toward team support through resupplying so be happy if people resupply you at all, if not do it yourself, be the one to resupply instead of relying on other people to do it for you.

Apologies to those who already play medic or support and do concentrate on resupplying.

Because they are "lone wolves"

99% of the time I am one. But I'm capping my butt off on every class.

Question though can't remember what the cap was for picking up rounds on the ground. Is it 8?
  • SirTerrible

Support or Medic make up for 82.9% of my game time on Xbox in BF1 according for battlefieldtracker if my math is correct. I barely even touch classes without ammo or health even without attrition. Issue is if you're Medic you still have to play ammo fetch quests constantly and if you're Support you have to play health fetch quests all the time, at least if you are consistently surviving most of your enemy encounters.
  • bran1986
    5652 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Sixclicks wrote: »
    Here's the post I was talking about. It was in the weekly debriefing on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/9lngks/battlefield_v_weekly_debrief_october_5th/

reddit_snipers.png

I think it is the infographic. I talked to a DICE developer in a stream. He said he pulled the class popularity data that morning(3rd or 4th day of the beta) and he said support and medic "needed some love" for release. I took that to mean assault and scout were incredibly popular compared to medic and support. So when the numbers came out I wasn't shocked at all.
  • JamieCurnock
    557 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Support or Medic make up for 82.9% of my game time on Xbox in BF1 according for battlefieldtracker if my math is correct. I barely even touch classes without ammo or health even without attrition. Issue is if you're Medic you still have to play ammo fetch quests constantly and if you're Support you have to play health fetch quests all the time, at least if you are consistently surviving most of your enemy encounters.

Yep, that's exactly what I was doing. Resupplying squad and team and acounting for health by either visiting supply stations or (admittedly not very often) getting bandages from medics. I enjoyed factoring that, it felt like a good challenge to try my best to not let it negatively affect my outcome in the game. The ease of getting bandages did increase later in the beta when medic crates were being used.
  • JamieCurnock
    TyroneLoyd wrote: »

Because they are "lone wolves"

99% of the time I am one. But I'm capping my butt off on every class.

Question though can't remember what the cap was for picking up rounds on the ground. Is it 8?

I'm pretty much lone wolf in the definition I play solo because my mates don't really play bf. When I did stick with the squad I (depending on the squad) had some great team play focused games.

Wrong person to ask about ammo cap I'm afraid, played support so had ammo 24/7 but then that's been my class since bf3. Did play other classes but not for very long lol.
  • JamieCurnock
    Playing as a support player the main issue for me was only having ammo pouches to begin with. The game of resupplying people literally took over the main game of playing bf. Once I unlocked the ammo crate things became a lot easier. Dropping an ammo crate whenever you run past team mates or dropping one where ever you stop is like muscle memory now, I rarely think about it, people can grab it as they need it. The pouch was a pain and took over the game.
  • SirTerrible
    Playing as a support player the main issue for me was only having ammo pouches to begin with. The game of resupplying people literally took over the main game of playing bf. Once I unlocked the ammo crate things became a lot easier. Dropping an ammo crate whenever you run past team mates or dropping one where ever you stop is like muscle memory now, I rarely think about it, people can grab it as they need it. The pouch was a pain and took over the game.

Lol yes. I felt like every waking moment was spent spamming pouches and waiting for the pouch cool down to reset. I didn't have to be that obsessive about giving my teammates ammo but it's a sickness I have I guess. Once I started using crates it was a lot better, though barely anyone used them it seemed. It should be radius based like the older games imo. You have to get the angle just perfect before it even lets you pick ammo off the crates and I think some people either didn't know how to use them or they had trouble seeing them.
  • DingoKillr
    3507 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    bran1986 wrote: »
    Sixclicks wrote: »

reddit_snipers.png

I think it is the infographic. I talked to a DICE developer in a stream. He said he pulled the class popularity data that morning(3rd or 4th day of the beta) and he said support and medic "needed some love" for release. I took that to mean assault and scout were incredibly popular compared to medic and support. So when the numbers came out I wasn't shocked at all.

Both are, people misread and jump to conclusions, just like this so called punish veteran players.

The infographic says deployed(respawns) nothing about usage.
  • Mystriall
    497 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Lol yes. I felt like every waking moment was spent spamming pouches and waiting for the pouch cool down to reset. I didn't have to be that obsessive about giving my teammates ammo but it's a sickness I have I guess. Once I started using crates it was a lot better, though barely anyone used them it seemed. It should be radius based like the older games imo. You have to get the angle just perfect before it even lets you pick ammo off the crates and I think some people either didn't know how to use them or they had trouble seeing them.

I don't think it should be radius based. They should make the crates more visible, maybe add some visual key or highlight it or something so it's easier to notice.. some places it just fades into the environment and people run past it. But i don't think you should automatically get more ammo/health by standing close to it or even worse, just running past it. It shouldn't be so that you can stand and shoot at enemies while getting more ammo or health at the same time. When you need to get ammo/health, i think it's good that you need to shift focus for 1-2 seconds and press a button to get it. Additionally, you only have to press it once, and then you get full ammo instantly. If they do go for a radius approach, then the resupply time has to be alot slower, and you have to gradually get more ammo, and at the same time the radius should be so little that you have to be right next to the crate to refill.
    -
    If again we look back to the original bf1942, which i like to do. Both health/med cabinets and ammo crates where radius based, but for the med cabinet you would litterally have to rub yourself up against it in order to be healed. and the healing was gradually, it wasn't just touch and go, so from 10% - 100% it was probably 5 or more seconds where you had to stay in the same spot. Same goes for ammo, from 0 ammo to max you had to stand right next to the ammo crate for 5 or more seconds.
    -
    In BFV, sure you have to press a key/activate to get ammo/health from the stations and/or crates, but then again you get said ammo instantly. So in the sum of it all i think it's actually quicker and easier to get ammo/health with the system BFV has now. The only difference is that you have to be aware and actively do something to get the ammo. Instead of just randomly "stumbling" upon or running by an ammo crate getting ammo.
    -
  • JamieCurnock

Yep, people had trouble seeing crates for sure Also people didn't use crates much because they were a later unlock, also pouches were binded to slot 1 which meant you could have a pouch and either an s mine, anti tank mine or an ammo crate. Who the hell is going to choose a pouch and a crate!? That's some proper dedication to resupplying! (Also a bit boring compared to mines)

people weren't looking out for support crates for a few reasons
    1) expecting to be just given ammo by a support class and therefore not have to actively think about it
    2 ) already decided that support don't give out ammo so weren't actively looking for crates
    3) had been around support players who gave no ammo out, got fed up so stopped looking to be resupplied by support players
    4) were around support players who weren't using crates or simply couldn't see them clearly enough.

I think the mechanic is fine, it just needs support and medic to be a bit more aware of putting crates down and people need to actually look for them (they did come up on the mini map as ammo/health icons). Also a notification on screen if someone is using the chat wheel thing to directly ask you for ammo wouldn't go a miss.