Anyone else like to fly a lot?

research-kitchen
274 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Lately "last 6 months" I have started to fly as much as I can to see how good or bad I could fly. I have found out it's relatively easy to get 70 to 110 kills in a game if I can keep the enemy off the AA's. This prolly the best I can do

Comments

• ElliotLH
    3592 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I fly quite a bit but have recently been trying to improve my ground game.
  • PopsicleStealer
    1307 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited October 11
    Flying in BF1 only goes 2 ways:

1: You dominate entire enemy team because they're trash

2: You get annoyed to the point of quitting by some braindead support who camps on every AA, takes AA truck or just camp on a hill with LMG.

So flying is very boring imo. Even though I got like 80 stars on attack plane.
  • olavafar
    1504 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I agree with @PopsicleStealer here. It is a bit of either or with flying. I get really bored if I get too many kills. Especially the ground support attack plane shown in the video quickly just turn into a routine. I rarely fly it nowadays. It is also of less use for the team in case the other team has good medics. Most kills will just be 'undone'' with revives. That is why I favor tank hunter and taking out tanks (or a fighter for removing bombers) which has a slightly more lasting impact even if one gets significantly less kills yourself that way.
    Sometimes, when the other team has some god pilot(s) it can be really fun I think and some maps are more fun than other to just fly around at.

I do not think the annoying AA/LMG guy is that bad as it gives me a challenge but I do get annoyed when they interfere with my air-to-air game. Either by stealing 'my' kill or giving me that 2% damage on the wing so I must abort my own attack.

From what I've experienced in BFV tests though, it feels like flying is not going to be any more fun in that game, rather the opposite. But we'll see. I have not heard much comments from DICE about the reactions in the vehicle areas from the Alpha and Beta.
  • NLBartmaN
    1774 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    olavafar wrote: »

From what I've experienced in BFV tests though, it feels like flying is not going to be any more fun in that game, rather the opposite. But we'll see. I have not heard much comments from DICE about the reactions in the vehicle areas from the Alpha and Beta.

Flying in the Beta was bad yes.

In one of the Dev Talks after the Beta the vehicle team was interviewed too and they named all of the feedback on vehicles after the Beta.
    And I believe they also acknowledged that the planes were unbalanced, flying was a bit too slow and turns could be better.
    Also being able to see targets would be improved.
  • MarxistDictator
    4306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

2: You get annoyed to the point of quitting by some braindead support who camps on every AA, takes AA truck or just camp on a hill with LMG.

You forgot 3: you get rammed by a loser in a fighter who spawns one again to do the same thing to another plane
  • boutneus
    2373 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Flying used to be fun, now it just feels like a death trap, 2 many threats 2 take into account which require different altitudes and maneuvers to counter
  • pwnedPewPew
    225 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    The real problems with those AA-Guns is, that many of them are placed on completely useless spots of the Map.
    Just check every Map and see where they are placed..no one wants to used them because you get sniped or they are placed far behind where you cant reach anything.
    Thats one of the reason why Planes can get so many Kills.Another one is that most ppl dont care about Planes..sadly.
    The ridiculous point is that those planefighters are mostly in the Top3 of the Scoreboard..For my opinion Ground Troops should be more rewarded then planes
  • V2Face
    2535 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Flying is ok but it’s unbalanced. The fighter plane is only good at enemy planes so if I take out enemy air, I’m forced to wait it out until I can fight another plane or bail. The trench fighter was the middle ground but they overnerfed the damage and the reload time instead of doing one or the other.

Attack planes are a must pick because they do everything better then other planes plus have a rear gunner to deal with fighters on their tail. How is that fair in a dogfight?

Heavy bombers are fine in context lethal large payload deliverers with massive hitboxes but in some game modes they are very farmable and should have an extended cooldown when selected in spawn.

The bombers are unless faster heavy bombers with less payload delivery. You will miss more targets then hit or kill less targets in one strafe.
  • ElliotLH
    3592 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    V2Face wrote: »
    Attack planes are a must pick because they do everything better then other planes plus have a rear gunner to deal with fighters on their tail. How is that fair in a dogfight?.

Attack planes also seem just as manoeuvrable as fighters which makes them horrible to shake off when they're on your tail. Well...horrible for me to shake off anyway.
  • PopsicleStealer
    1307 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

You forgot 3: you get rammed by a loser in a fighter who spawns one again to do the same thing to another plane

It applies to my 2nd point of getting annoyed to the point of quitting.
  • A_al_K_pacino_A
    67 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I have spawned in a plane a total of one times and didn't get on with it one bit. The only practice I had was the single player missions and they didn't come close to being anything like they handle in mp. This is where a test range was really missed.
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    822 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I have trouble with planes and knowing how big I am in the game space. I feel like I have plenty of room between myself and the nearest obstacle, but the giant explosion begs to differ.

Never really enjoyed vehicle play in any Battlefield. I much prefer to blow them up, god I miss my SRAW.
  • Imabaka70
    2151 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I’m an ok pilot and a better back seat gunner. My most fun to be had with planes is knocking them from the sky with LIght tank grenades.
  • olavafar
    1504 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Imabaka70 wrote: »
    I’m an ok pilot and a better back seat gunner. My most fun to be had with planes is knocking them from the sky with LIght tank grenades.

Actually back seat gunning is quite underestimated. I often sit behind one of my clan friends and often I can get almost (and sometimes even more) points than him even when he flies the cheesy ground support attack plane. The main key is spotting ground targets and shooting at them as he approaches for the main gun and bomb run. One gets loads of points for spot assists and suppression assist that way and even an occasional kill even if that is rare. Then when you go air to air most kills and vehicle destroy points will go to the gunner. Whatever ppl do as gunner, DO NOT randomly shoot at ground targets when just transporting or repairing. Use that time to spot or look for enemy planes. There is nothing as annoying as being a pilot with a gunner blasting away for nothing at the ground while you get a fighter coming up behind you (and seat switch is no option).

As pilot I have yet to be hit by a grenade though, spent almost 200h in fighters/attack planes as pilot so far and I often fly way too low so it an event just waiting to happen. Been shot down by tanks quite many times though ;).
  • Imabaka70
    2151 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Actually back seat gunning is quite underestimated. I often sit behind one of my clan friends and often I can get almost (and sometimes even more) points than him even when he flies the cheesy ground support attack plane. The main key is spotting ground targets and shooting at them as he approaches for the main gun and bomb run. One gets loads of points for spot assists and suppression assist that way and even an occasional kill even if that is rare. Then when you go air to air most kills and vehicle destroy points will go to the gunner. Whatever ppl do as gunner, DO NOT randomly shoot at ground targets when just transporting or repairing. Use that time to spot or look for enemy planes. There is nothing as annoying as being a pilot with a gunner blasting away for nothing at the ground while you get a fighter coming up behind you (and seat switch is no option).

As pilot I have yet to be hit by a grenade though, spent almost 200h in fighters/attack planes as pilot so far and I often fly way too low so it an event just waiting to happen. Been shot down by tanks quite many times though ;).

While in a squad mates plane I’ll shoot at ground targets all the time and killed plenty. But always make a point of looking out for planes.

Let this serve as a warning to all low flying planes lmao
  • research-kitchen
    274 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I agree with @PopsicleStealer here. It is a bit of either or with flying. I get really bored if I get too many kills. Especially the ground support attack plane shown in the video quickly just turn into a routine. I rarely fly it nowadays. It is also of less use for the team in case the other team has good medics. Most kills will just be 'undone'' with revives. That is why I favor tank hunter and taking out tanks (or a fighter for removing bombers) which has a slightly more lasting impact even if one gets significantly less kills yourself that way.
    Sometimes, when the other team has some god pilot(s) it can be really fun I think and some maps are more fun than other to just fly around at.

I do not think the annoying AA/LMG guy is that bad as it gives me a challenge but I do get annoyed when they interfere with my air-to-air game. Either by stealing 'my' kill or giving me that 2% damage on the wing so I must abort my own attack.

I keep forgetting to try the tank hunter. Yes the 2% damage that sometimes drives me straight into the ground or a tree.
  • research-kitchen
    V2Face wrote: »
    Flying is ok but it’s unbalanced. The fighter plane is only good at enemy planes so if I take out enemy air, I’m forced to wait it out until I can fight another plane or bail. The trench fighter was the middle ground but they overnerfed the damage and the reload time instead of doing one or the other.

Attack planes are a must pick because they do everything better then other planes plus have a rear gunner to deal with fighters on their tail. How is that fair in a dogfight?

Heavy bombers are fine in context lethal large payload deliverers with massive hitboxes but in some game modes they are very farmable and should have an extended cooldown when selected in spawn.

The bombers are unless faster heavy bombers with less payload delivery. You will miss more targets then hit or kill less targets in one strafe.

Your right but the bombers in operations rack up 10 to 15 kills per run sometimes
  • research-kitchen
    I have spawned in a plane a total of one times and didn't get on with it one bit. The only practice I had was the single player missions and they didn't come close to being anything like they handle in mp. This is where a test range was really missed.

When I started I would go to empty server and pick random targets to figure out the bullet drop and distance

A few things I have learned from other players "one with a 157 KDR" getting the angle for your bombing run, staying horizontal to enemy AA unless your gonna take it out and knowing when your beat and turn and run. I guess I'm a slow learner but it keeps me alive.
  • research-kitchen

While in a squad mates plane I’ll shoot at ground targets all the time and killed plenty. But always make a point of looking out for planes.

LOL that's happen to me once but it was a tank grenade, I know I have that on video somewhere. Talk about a hail mary!
  • Imabaka70

LOL that's happen to me once but it was a tank grenade, I know I have that on video somewhere. Talk about a hail mary!

Thanks somedays I can do it to every low flying plane and others I can’t hit a plane at all with a LT grenade