So does one get 20 or more kills in a match?

DieHarder55
43 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Quite frustrated playing BF1 at the moment though my question is toward the upcoming BFV and lots of folks played the beta.

Recently bought BF1 to get back in the swing for BFV but can't seem to find a gun that kills quickly, can't see players right in front of me that kill me ahead of time, running doesn't help, going slow / taking cover doesn't help. This last match I quit after going 1-11 and top player on my side was 50 to 1. Trying to stick with and work teammates but I seem to be the one always dying while teammates move on. Or maybe they die too. :)

I use to be in middle of scoring for match but dying so much in BF1, not able to provide support, flags captures/defense or kills to get decent scoring.

Anyway, looking for helpful suggestions for the upcoming BFV from those that are in the top part of team scoring. Even things like what to look at for decent server connections.

Comments

• Mishkin37
    386 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Not that this will help, but knowing the maps is probably the best tip. That way you know which routes to flags are safer and less-travelled and which ones can be used for flanking. Also...

- play in a squad
    - choose a new squad if they’re all Scouts
    - always stay with your squad
    - don’t take objecives by yourself
    - if you’re having trouble getting kills, try high rate of fire weapons (Medic = Federov; Assault = Automatico; Support = BAR; Scout = SMLE Carbine)
    - pick 2 or 3 flags and just go back and forth between them getting kills and capping objectives
    - use your class items a LOT; heal, revive, drop ammo, lay mines, shoot flares
    - don’t check your score until the end of the round
    - have fun; when you stop having fun, play something else, and come back to it tomorrow
  • Popa2caps
    326 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Quite frustrated playing BF1 at the moment though my question is toward the upcoming BFV and lots of folks played the beta.

Recently bought BF1 to get back in the swing for BFV but can't seem to find a gun that kills quickly, can't see players right in front of me that kill me ahead of time, running doesn't help, going slow / taking cover doesn't help. This last match I quit after going 1-11 and top player on my side was 50 to 1. Trying to stick with and work teammates but I seem to be the one always dying while teammates move on. Or maybe they die too. :)

I use to be in middle of scoring for match but dying so much in BF1, not able to provide support, flags captures/defense or kills to get decent scoring.

Anyway, looking for helpful suggestions for the upcoming BFV from those that are in the top part of team scoring. Even things like what to look at for decent server connections.

Depends on the system you're using, PC try to get more FPS, consoles, try to adjust your controller settings. If you're just playing easy mode (normal) try hardcore user servers, No aim assist (depends on server) and no 3d spotting. Getting better doesn't mean leaving because you died more than kills, try to learn something about the map on each match. Also if you're on consoles a SSD helps with massive loading issues.

note, going to hardcore might be too much to handle with some, Too many people can't understand the no spotting.
  • Player_ge96c98d
    3 postsMember Member
    edited October 10
    [Derailing]
    Post edited by LOLGotYerTags on
  • KamikazeK7
    250 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 10
    [Derailing]

There’s always a negative nellie in every thread. The only crap I see is your response to someone who was genuinely asking a question.
  • JamieCurnock
    219 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited October 10
    KamikazeK7 wrote: »
    [Derailing]

There’s always a negative nellie in every thread. The only crap I see is your response to someone who was genuinely asking a question.

Also it had nothing to do with the original post.
  • olavafar
    1504 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Avoid spawning at the front can be a good thing if you die too much. DICE spawn system is legendary for putting you into trouble. Spawning in at a safer place makes it possible for you to get some awareness as you enter the battle. There are a lot of tips one could give you but it will depend on how you play and on what platform. My play style (unless I'm in a plane) is heavily against taking and defending flags (kills is just a necessity to do this for me). Others play more for the kills and care less about the objectives but often pave the way for players like me.

If you struggle in BFV and you are not the type that can run around and kill everything moving I'd suggest a defensive tactic. Focus on a flag that has some action and play the round with the sole objective of holding/taking that flag. This will learn you that part of the map quickly. When your team has the flag you can defend it, often getting a drop on incoming enemies. You will learn where to hide and what directions to expect enemies coming from, which is also good when you try to take the flag yourself (maybe NOT go through the door but climb in at the back side over a wall or something). As you learn the flag areas better and better you will soon be able to go between the flags and collect kills and score like any of the top players. You do not need to be top skilled with aim and reflexes if you can compensate a bit with being smart.

If you have a possibility, join a gaming community. Playing using voice com with friends is a sure booster when it comes to the fun and also the score.
  • sarris_bros-1978
    125 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Check your internet connection and lower your ping as much as you can!!!
  • CaptainHardware
    46 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    If you find yourself always being the first one to die in a group it's most likely because you are just the most obvious target. That is getting you killed by people like me.

Try hanging back a little bit more, and everywhere you go always seek cover, avoid silhouetting yourself, follow anything that will at least partially conceal you or make you stand out less. It doesn't matter if the cover doesn't fully protect you or isn't something you can fully hide behind, every bit helps. Spotting ect... doesn't change this. People spot, and shoot, what they see first.

When you go to a new spot, think about where you could be shot at when you reach it. If the answer is 'everywhere' you need a different strategy. Obviously you gotta take risks, but minimizing exposure makes a huge difference. And this is not a call to camp or anything like that, I'm 3rd in the world with the MP18 trench for kills now and this is what I do constantly and why that gun works out for me.

As far as gun choices go, depends on what kind of player you are, about two thirds of the guns in BF1 are completely worthless to play but the rest are all pretty useful. I'm great with the trench because it works fairly well in a very wide number of situations, and great with hip fire while advancing, rather then because it is absolutely the best at anything. But I also have good twitch shooting reflexes so I can exploit this over a wide number of situations. On the other hand my precision aim is not so hot, so I avoid weapons that require it, and try to limit my exposure to long range fights or use the rocket gun for them.

As far as ping goes, once it's over about 60 your going to start having a noteworthy disadvantage in this game over the people who are under 20, and if you are 80+ you're going to lose a lot of 1:1 fights to that. Avoid public severs if you can, the standards of gameplay average even worse then the private ones, but low ping is vital now in a way it wasn't so much in the original higher ttk game on release.
  • DieHarder55
    Thanks everyone for some very helpful and thoughtful replies. Definitely saving thread.

Don't know the maps well yet and highly likely I am making myself a target. Like last night where I was following my squad to learn the map and got killed for being tail end Charlie. Scout waited til everyone else passed and I was a little too slow so he got me while squad moved on without me.
  • BURGERKRIEG
    446 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 10
    You need to understand two things that are very different in BF1 from previous titles.

1. The terrible gunplay. Here's a video

2. The ADHD movement system. You will notice players on their feet are bobbing back and forth, the never stay still. This started in Hardline. You'll need to do the same, it's stupid but everyone seems to love it now. When you meet an enemy they will likely strafe sideways and start firing. Mid point through they will start to waggle left and right a bit. Match them. When you are running under fire slide into cover, again it's dopey but it's a thing now.

3. Remember to Zerg. Stay in a big bunch of players and spam ammo or meds, even if you have a negative K/D you can get into the top 5 scores on your team.

It all sounds reductive, but then so was BF1.

• cweberling
    344 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

Basically.....map awareness....and knowing where and when people will be where. Predictions, etc. Knowing when to push, etc. That and figuring out how the guns work and the bullets work.

You just gotta play long enough to figure out how the game works....and then figure out how people typically play.....then counter them.
  • DieHarder55
    Feel a little better now. Still had a .56kd in my last match tonight but actually got the Squad contribution for match highlights playing a medic plus 5 multiple kills in the match. Also got the Medic starter achievement for raising 10 players in a match. Definitely helped the team to win the match.

Appreciate the advice and the video. Watched it but went over my head so will have to watch again but sounds like BFV will be an improvement for shooting mechanics.
  • Imabaka70
    2151 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Others have covered most of the basics

1 thing to add about the don’t make yourself a target... don’t lay prone in the middle of the open, you are just asking to get shot in the face.

I will say I had a similar k/d and experience when I started playing bf1. I ended up joining a more casual( non competitive) clan and being mic’d up with people being able to work together helped boost my confidence and get some experience.

This led to me being able to play on my own when no one else is on and still do decent.
  • mav_smileyface
    855 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    1 simple suggestion try using the medic rifle selstlader 1916 marksman 2.5x scope it’s such an easy rifle to learn.. I suspect that you are struggling woefully aiming down iron sights
  • BURGERKRIEG
    446 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Feel a little better now. Still had a .56kd in my last match tonight but actually got the Squad contribution for match highlights playing a medic plus 5 multiple kills in the match. Also got the Medic starter achievement for raising 10 players in a match. Definitely helped the team to win the match.

Appreciate the advice and the video. Watched it but went over my head so will have to watch again but sounds like BFV will be an improvement for shooting mechanics.

Hey man don't worry about the equation part, that's the nitty gritty of the code that governs the spread mechanics, just check out the cones of fire part and when you fire those medic rifles its all about rhythm, if you fire too fast the shots will start to fly off target even if you have the sights right on the enemy.
  • Hay-its-dudeman
    276 postsMember Member
    edited October 11

BF1's gun play is hard because of RBD. It's not about shooting first, it's about flanking and avoiding the RBD problem by shooting unexpecting players.

I was decent in the BFV beta (always got top 8 and 40+ kills in full games) and I think I know what bad players do and good players do.

Good players: 1) they use easy-to-use guns, like the STG44 and the Sten. They don't fool around with unbalanced game design. 2) their general method of approach is flanking. Remember this for the rest of your BF conquest career: It's not about beating someone to a flag, it's about having a better position.
    3) They don't expose themselves just to get information. Basically, you can't be impulsive. You can't always have to be doing something just because you want constant action. You have to use alternative methods of intel--like flag capture status, recon gadgets, bullet directions, or downed teammates.

Bad players:
    1) they are impatient. Hands down.They take predictable routes to flags. If they are outnumbered in a flag, they try to find the enemies and fight them. It's noble, but it's stupid. The smart play is to leave the capture zone, let them think they are by themselves, and attack them when they exit. In this scenario, they will be in predictable places and you will know it because you are waiting outside the capture zone.
    2) they play "their way". I'm not saying personal creativity isn't useful, but if your sole desire for a game is to play it a certain way, when the game doesn't reward it, you are going to lose to people who conform to game design. I am mainly thinking of snipers and medics who don't spam.
    3)Expectations/disposition. They expect themselves to be average, instead of accepting that they have no clue what they are talking about compared to experienced players. You have to choose which path you will take: mindless, stress free leisure, or accept stress and learn the game. Only one will improve results.

Conclusion: 1) don't waste time trying to get good with inferior weapons until you have learned how to position yourself.
    2) be patient. 3)use alternative means of intel. 4) if you are a noob, you have to accept it. You can't project some internal delusion to cope with discouragement. That will just be the justification for complacency and bitterness towards good players who you could learn from.

The two strongest ways to improve immediately is using OP guns and flanking. Those are the two fundamentals for simplified gameplay.
  • StingX71
    346 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    No silver bullet unfortunately. Not sure what your aptitude is for FPS. One thing forsure, takes a lot of practice, tweaking, and trying things out. This has nothing to do with the real world and who you are. Who cares if your KD is .1 for a month or so while you figure things out.

After a while you will figure out where people post up and/or common lanes players use. You also refine your tactics. Everyone plays different.

One piece of advice that works for me (as other have stated) is flanking where possible. Don't run up the middle of a map if can avoid it. Flank reduce the amount of areas you can get shot from. Can't tell you how many times I've come up on 2-3+ players oblivious to the fact I was next to them.
  • SucqMacaqueX
    564 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    go in bunker full of teammates spam G and Ammo - success
  • SergeantGekko
    51 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    1. Think what you do and how you move
    2. Flank if it's possible
    3. Spray & pray
  • Hawxxeye
    1879 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

2. The ADHD movement system. You will notice players on their feet are bobbing back and forth, the never stay still. This started in Hardline. You'll need to do the same, it's stupid but everyone seems to love it now. When you meet an enemy they will likely strafe sideways and start firing. Mid point through they will start to waggle left and right a bit. Match them. When you are running under fire slide into cover, again it's dopey but it's a thing now.
    This This THIIIIIIIS
    I cannot understand why DICE did not actively try to discourage that type of movement. It is physically impossible and ruins my immersion more than if someone had replaced the plane models with My Little Pony models.
    Plus it hurts the effectiveness of slow RoF weapons making the buzzsaw bullet hoses more meta