Is BFV chasing PUBG and Fortnite

Comments

• parkingbrake
    2783 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They ruined Battlefield! It's just an arcade shooter now! We've been hearing that almost as long as the series has existed, the salty old guard want to believe that the edition of BF they first played was the last true BF, everything that came after was for kids. They can't all be right, can they.

I enjoy PUBG although it's getting a bit stale and the developer has displayed such sustained incompetence that I'm ready for another game. Their latest patch is so bad that some of the game's top streamers are saying it might now be possible for other game's to push PUBG aside. They still won't region-lock China, the game is still buggy, and the level of cheating is astonishing, so enough is enough.

I doubt BF V's BR mode will be as good as PUBG, but I don't care about that. If the basic game runs well and is fun to play then the BR mode (whenever it arrives) will matter no more to me than Chainlink or Defuse or whatever in BF4, it's just another secondary game mode. I understand why they're adding a BR mode, clearly there is a lot of money to be made there. But for me Conquest and TDM are what BF is about, every other mode comes a distant second. If someone refuses to buy BF V because a BR mode means the game has an identity crisis, okay, suit yourself. Seems a bit silly to me, but I'm not the boss of you.
  • parkingbrake
    2783 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    warslag wrote: »
    OP if you're asking whether Battlefield is now a highly-processed product then yes it is. The brand is Battlefield but some people are saying that the game itself is far from what they have come to expect.

As far as influence from other games such as Fortnite is concerned Battlefield does now come in a variety of flavours to suit all tastes.

What EA Dice doesn't seem to understand is that the flavour has to be relevant to the product because nobody wants a chocolate flavoured sausage.

In a world with bacon-flavored ice cream, don't be so sure.
  • Wikstone
    160 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Dice just have lost it, its not bf anymore.
  • Wikstone wrote: »
    Dice just have lost it, its not bf anymore.

64p combined arms multiplayer fps gameplay on large maps. Sounds like the premise of every other BF game.

What makes BF5, then, not BF?
  • ragnarok013
    2205 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    EVERY game is chasing Fortnite right now. Why? Because Fortnite is making WAAAAY more money than anyone else. Kind of a silly comment to even make because it's what happens ALL THE TIME. Game developers will always be chasing the games that are the most successful. Same thing happened with Super Mario Bros. back in the 80's. No different today.

This reminds me of a few years ago when everyone was chasing the MOBA craze; fear not my friends, the Battle Royale fad will wane eventually. That being said as someone who doesn't like BR modes I'm willing to check our Firestorm to see if it's innovative and fun, if not back to Conquest for me.
  • Wlnnie-Pooh
    126 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    fear not my friends, the Battle Royale fad will wane eventually.
    My concern is how much 'collateral damage' this fad will do.
    Look what happened last year with bf1. Developers wanted to chase that competitive 5vs5 minifad that was going on and how we ended up? we got that masterjoke called battlefield 1 incursion, a monumental waste of time and resources who basically died within 2 weeks. Thank to that Turning Tides and Apocalypse were so underwhelming.
  • MacaqueX
    674 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    fear not my friends, the Battle Royale fad will wane eventually.
    My concern is how much 'collateral damage' this fad will do.
    Look what happened last year with bf1. Developers wanted to chase that competitive 5vs5 minifad that was going on and how we ended up? we got that masterjoke called battlefield 1 incursion, a monumental waste of time and resources who basically died within 2 weeks. Thank to that Turning Tides and Apocalypse were so underwhelming.

Yeah i wish for return of 64p RUSH in BFV, operations is fun mode but to long sometimes.
  • MacaqueX
    674 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    EVERY game is chasing Fortnite right now. Why? Because Fortnite is making WAAAAY more money than anyone else. Kind of a silly comment to even make because it's what happens ALL THE TIME. Game developers will always be chasing the games that are the most successful. Same thing happened with Super Mario Bros. back in the 80's. No different today.

This reminds me of a few years ago when everyone was chasing the MOBA craze; fear not my friends, the Battle Royale fad will wane eventually. That being said as someone who doesn't like BR modes I'm willing to check our Firestorm to see if it's innovative and fun, if not back to Conquest for me.

Many BF2/3 players play pubg instead of BF1, maybe BFV BR can make them come back.
  • SPARTAN_12B
    89 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yes, the game is definitely having an identity crisis. That's obvious to any reasonable person. It also should be obvious that you can't sit on many chairs the same time, trying to please old fans, new fans and potential newcomers. Unfortunately it's too late to change things.

Dude is legit everytime he comments....been watching you for months bruh....
  • BetaFief
    655 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    the problem with BF:V-BR is that it's attempting to chase after trends like BR, rather than creating the tools/environment necessary for starting them.

By which I mean stuff like "Mod support", "editors", etc.. for the PC version at least.
    Because no matter the number of server options DICE attempts to have, they're always quite limiting in terms of what they can actually change.

To put all of this another way: EA/DICE's efforts in a BR mode would've been better spent on replacing/upgrading their (allegedly vulnerable) back-ends and anti-cheat-systems so modded servers could be run. (There's no reason that really holds up to scrutiny for them not too).
  • ragnarok013
    2205 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited October 2018
    BetaFief wrote: »
    the problem with BF:V-BR is that it's attempting to chase after trends like BR, rather than creating the tools/environment necessary for starting them.

By which I mean stuff like "Mod support", "editors", etc.. for the PC version at least.
    Because no matter the number of server options DICE attempts to have, they're always quite limiting in terms of what they can actually change.

To put all of this another way: EA/DICE's efforts in a BR mode would've been better spent on replacing/upgrading their (allegedly vulnerable) back-ends and anti-cheat-systems so modded servers could be run. (There's no reason that really holds up to scrutiny for them not too).

The days of editors and mod support are over never to return. The best explanation for this is that the Microsoft and Sony certification processes would never permit it unless it was something like Halo Forge, and I doubt that EA would open that option only to PC. I'm sure there are also unknown security concerns with those old editor and mod tools as well so EA is not likely to embrace them on any level today. The absolute best we can hope for is a robust RSP program that rivals the abilities that we had with Procon and Rcon so communities can make a big comeback in future BF titles.
  • SirBobdk
    3647 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    @ragnarok013
    The absolute best we can hope for is a robust RSP program that rivals the abilities that we had with Procon and Rcon so communities can make a big comeback in future BF titles.
    Agree. But even if it happens it will take some work getting communities back. Most seem to be happy just playing an anonymous game alone as long they get entertaint with assignments, customization and a progression system. BF have become more or less a single player game where the gameplay, making friends and being on TS is less importent. Quite sad if you think about it.
  • warslag
    1264 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Maybe BFV is taking after R6 Siege more than those other two? The defensive structures you can build in BFV resemble the barricades and shields of Siege more than the structures of Fortnite. Plus you have a business model based on transactions in the way Siege is.

Siege does have pretty good ongoing development support, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it.

This might be a major plus for BFV if it means it gets the same kind of updates that Siege does.

Plus, if BFV's BR mode is successful and taken up by eSports then it will mean BFV gets even more support. I'm still not completely clear about how BFV's BR works, though.
  • BetaFief
    655 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

The days of editors and mod support are over never to return. The best explanation for this is that the Microsoft and Sony certification processes would never permit it unless it was something like Halo Forge, and I doubt that EA would open that option only to PC. I'm sure there are also unknown security concerns with those old editor and mod tools as well so EA is not likely to embrace them on any level today. The absolute best we can hope for is a robust RSP program that rivals the abilities that we had with Procon and Rcon so communities can make a big comeback in future BF titles.

I'm sorry but most of what your saying doesn't make sense to me...
    Firstly DICE/EA had the CTE for BF4 as something exclusive to the PC version; I could easily see them do the same with an early form of mod support for frostbite;

Secondly the more modest aspect of what I'm proposing has almost everything to do with "server access" and "anti-cheat". In other words mod support in an extremely crude sense. (Basically "you don't need to emulate networks or reverse engineer servers using the singleplayer of the game as a basis"-tier of mod support).
  • ragnarok013
    @ragnarok013
    The absolute best we can hope for is a robust RSP program that rivals the abilities that we had with Procon and Rcon so communities can make a big comeback in future BF titles.
    Agree. But even if it happens it will take some work getting communities back. Most seem to be happy just playing an anonymous game alone as long they get entertaint with assignments, customization and a progression system. BF have become more or less a single player game where the gameplay, making friends and being on TS is less importent. Quite sad if you think about it.

I find that disheartening because I've made so many friends in game by simply being a solid medic who eventually became real life friends from all over the world. Eventually I even met many of them in person at EA events like EA Play and we simply picked up in person where we left off in TS or Discord. Communities and interaction with one's fellow players are in my opinion the very heart and soul of Battlefield. Without that you're just playing a game but not truly experiencing Battlefield.
  • ragnarok013
    edited October 2018

I'm sorry but most of what your saying doesn't make sense to me...
    Firstly DICE/EA had the CTE for BF4 as something exclusive to the PC version; I could easily see them do the same with an early form of mod support for frostbite;

Secondly the more modest aspect of what I'm proposing has almost everything to do with "server access" and "anti-cheat". In other words mod support in an extremely crude sense. (Basically "you don't need to emulate networks or reverse engineer servers using the singleplayer of the game as a basis"-tier of mod support).

When one says mod tool and editors historically that meant that we could do things like create maps, create or change assets, alter game files etc. EA won't ever allow that kind of freedom again due to security concerns and wanting to control the game play experience and have a unified game play experience across platforms which would exclude any possible exceptions for PC where those tools would be most used. The modest solution would be covered by a fully functional and broad RSP solution. With Procon\rcon we had so much freedom to design the Battlefield experience that we desired via Plugins and that helped servers run long past the lifecycle of the BF titles and helped build solid long running BF communities. Regarding the anti-cheat aspect of you post please elaborate as I'm not sure how that factors into your post. EA and DICE are most likely to to not open anything in the anti-cheat area so the hack makers can't find **** in its armor to exploit.
  • Majicpanda
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Battlefield adding Battle Royale is akin to Everquest adding PvP. It is a mode that exists in the game, but I highly doubt the intent was to pull anyone who enjoys Battle Royale TO Battlefield. You come for BF, if you enjoy BR you may also play that mode sometimes but it won't be very popular.
  • TropicPoison
    2186 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Majicpanda wrote: »
    Battlefield adding Battle Royale is akin to Everquest adding PvP. It is a mode that exists in the game, but I highly doubt the intent was to pull anyone who enjoys Battle Royale TO Battlefield. You come for BF, if you enjoy BR you may also play that mode sometimes but it won't be very popular.

I'm pretty sure that was their only intent to even add BR is to pull players from other games that love BR aka fortnite garbage and pubg.
  • SirBobdk
    3647 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    @ragnarok013 wrote
    Communities and interaction with one's fellow players are in my opinion the very heart and soul of Battlefield. Without that you're just playing a game but not truly experiencing Battlefield.
    Well said m8. Could not agree more. Still have friends I met 12 years ago.
  • xx_Dante2k_xx
    615 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Am I the only one who doesn't like battle royal style games ?

Buying BFV for the MP nothing else.