Full Game Purchase Vs. Origin Subscription - Which is better?

Comments

• LumoColor
    504 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    warslag wrote: »
    Are you saying the sequel to BFV might be out by then? If you pre-order BF6 now with Origin Access Premier do you get 6 months early access so you can play it before BFV is released?
    I think they will scrape one more reskin/repackage out of this one, perhaps BFVietnam [Note you read the speculation here 1st!]
  • warslag
    842 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    TEKNOCODE wrote: »
    LumoColor wrote: »
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    Sixclicks wrote: »
    I do think it's pretty ridiculous that those with origin access premier get full unlimited access to the game a week before deluxe and 11 days before anyone else. EA being scummy as usual.

If you buy Origin Access Premier at £15 a month and play BFV for 2 years that means you will have paid £360 for BFV.

Or, if you pay £90 for a yearly Origin Access Premier subscription and play BFV for 2 years you will have paid £180 for BFV.

This is probably the basis for offering one week of early access to BFV for Origin Access Premier customers.

This is also why it makes sense to buy Origin Access Premier ONLY if you play a lot of Origin games.

…………………………………..

Cant one just pay 15 for one month and then cancel once the game is out (assuming they bought the game separately)?

I don't know. I paid for one month of Origin for £5 to get a discount on BF1 so I think it might work. Still seems a bit extreme to pay £15 for one week of BFV.

It doesn't really reflect well on EA. It makes them look greedy and devious.
    Pay 1 months origin access (£14.99) to see how game is at launch and get 1st day access.

If it's good then use 10% discount to buy full game just before 1st month is up (£54.99 - £5.49 = £49.50).

If it's bad/buggy/server issues then cancel origin access and go back to BF1/BF4.

It's a bad situation that they have to force us to do this just to make origin access figures look good for the year end, no wonder pre-order sales figures are down pulling tricks like this by giving 1st access to the subscription service. I wonder how they will explain to market that they have a huge leap in numbers for them to drop as everyone cancels after early access. Its like the gym membership service model where they hope that most people forget and keep paying the monthly fee.

Hiya Lumo,

Thanks for the advice.

You'll still lose money that way, though.

£15 for Premier.

Cancel Premier if game is bad. £15 gone.

Buy game if it's good. £10 gone plus £49.50 for game.

Or, wait six months game £1.
    Lmao. You can say this about any product.

Don’t purchase that bread today for $4.99. Wait until the end of the week when it’s $1.99.

Don’t purchase that car today for $65,000. Wait until next years model and you can get it for $45,000.

I’ve never “lost money” on a video game. I paid $20 for verdun and played it for five minutes. It cost me $4 a minute to play it, but I didn’t lose money.

I couldn't even afford that lifestyle in GTA V. :o
  • VincentNZ
    502 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well the three release dates are an obvious cash grab by EA and had to be expected. They are likely speculating that after the poor pre-order sales, people will just subscribe for a month or longer to test the game out, or even use Premier for a whole year. Pretty smart move, too, because the eleven day earlier release is also significant enough to entice players that pre-ordered the game already to spend additional 15€.

In all cases they are generating money they would otherwise have not have.
  • staRS-SirBob
    2129 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    VincentNZ wrote: »
    Well the three release dates are an obvious cash grab by EA and had to be expected. They are likely speculating that after the poor pre-order sales, people will just subscribe for a month or longer to test the game out, or even use Premier for a whole year. Pretty smart move, too, because the eleven day earlier release is also significant enough to entice players that pre-ordered the game already to spend additional 15€.

It can not come as a surprise. EA prioritizes money more than giving buyers a positive experience.
  • VincentNZ
    502 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

It can not come as a surprise. EA prioritizes money more than giving buyers a positive experience.

It does open up some interesting possibilities, though. Personally, I only had fun while playing with a mate. With the Premier I could test the game for eleven days alone and look if that improved. Or, I could convince my other mates, that are not buying it to do spend the 15€ as a trial and we can play as a squad. Either way, EA would profit, which is a downer.

However it still requires us to interact with Origin by paying and this is quite the threshold, as Origin is probably the biggest singular problem we have with BFV. So that is one big hindrance to that tactic. :smiley:
  • Mystriall
    419 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If BFV is a game you think it's likely you will be playing for many years to come, then full game purchase is hands down the way to go. With subscriptions, eventually you will have paid for the games X amount of times. And then when you quit playing, and after a while want to go back to a certain game, guess what, you will have to start paying yet again for a game that you already have paid for X amount of times. Ofcourse you "get access to all these other games" .. but will you play them? And depending on how many of them you play, eventually, you will reach the point where you would have been better off just buying the games. And again, having to start paying for them yet again when you want to play them some more in the future.
    -
    Never ever, has any company made a subscription based business model that gives the customer the best deal possible, it doesn't happen. The only ones who benefit from premier is EA and EA alone.
    -
    I'd say that the premier subscirption is a good alternative for those unsure and who want to test the game, or any number of games before buying them. But if you intend playing any games, buying them will always be the best option.
    -
  • th3Kursk
    25 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    buying the game is a better option.
    origin premier you are just renting the game.
    next year you will have to pay another $100 bucks, and the game is not yours.
  • Radious1987
    335 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    th3Kursk wrote: »
    buying the game is a better option.
    origin premier you are just renting the game.
    next year you will have to pay another $100 bucks, and the game is not yours.

Very much depends how long you are planing to play a game. And next year can be another Battlefield or Battlefront and with origin premier you will have all this included. Premier is definitely not worth it for 1 game, but if you play more then just BF5 then its very much worth it. Contains 150 full games including all previous BF games, all Titan Falls, All Battlefronts, Mass Effects, Dragon Age series and many many more. Including Athem next year aswell. For 100 euros you get a lot for 1 year + all future EA titles and series.
  • Sixclicks
    4087 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 16
    Origin access premier is the safer bet if you're not sure if you'll like the game or not. Pay $15, play for a month, and then decide if you actually want the game or not. Then buy the game before your 1 month subscription expires. You'll get 10% off and pay $72 for the Deluxe edition as a result. Then cancel the premier subscription. Overall you'll end up paying $87 versus buying the Deluxe edition straight up at $80. Plus you'll get 6 days earlier access than Deluxe.

And if you end up not liking it, cancel the subscription after a month and you've only spent $15 instead of wasting $80 on a game that you don't like.

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do yet. I've got a Deluxe Edition pre-order, but I would like that 6 days early access. And being able to cancel a $15 subscription after a month instead of getting the game, just in case I don't like it, is kind of attractive. Although I also really don't like that they're doing this whole 3 different dates of access thing, and I don't really want to support that. So I haven't decided if I'm just going to keep the Deluxe pre-order or cancel it, get premier, and then buy the game while I've got premier if I like it.

It's definitely not worth actually keeping the Origin Premier subscription for access longer than a month unless you want to play a lot of Origin games that you don't already own (which I do already own a bunch of them).
  • th3Kursk
    25 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    i will just play bf5 and fifa19 but origin premier is too much money for me. $200 in 2 years for 2 games.
    $15 just to try out the game is too much money for me as well.

i can get the deluxe version cheapear on some other website, and i can return fifa19 next year to get the new fifa.
    way more cheaper than $200 just to rent 2 games.

• TropicPoison
    1271 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I have to say players who flat out are fully buying the deluxe edition physical or digital should have gotten the earliest access to the game, but overall I'm not surprised about any of this because it's the usual stupid garbage that EA loves to pull.

They should gave changed the release date to the 9th, but instead they're shoving their hands down everyone's pockets trying to get as much cash as possible for this bs they're doing with these different release dates.
  • Hawxxeye
    2046 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I have to say players who flat out are fully buying the deluxe edition physical or digital should have gotten the earliest access to the game, but overall I'm not surprised about any of this because it's the usual stupid garbage that EA loves to pull.

They should gave changed the release date to the 9th, but instead they're shoving their hands down everyone's pockets trying to get as much cash as possible for this bs they're doing with these different release dates.

If it brings any solace to those who wont be starting the game at the 9th, think of it like that the people who do will be beta testing the game so it might have less problems when the rest get it :S
  • staryoshi06
    201 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I don't know how much it costs for everyone else, but here if you bought it for one month, and bought deluxe, it'd only cost $11 more than deluxe (cause discount). I'd recommend.
    Giving people with Origin access premier the game 11 earlier than the standard edition feels a really forceful attempt to make people get origin access premier.

It's a benefit of Origin access that you get access to the game ~5 days earlier than ANYONE ELSE (this includes Deluxe owners).
    So they can't really not do it.
  • GrizzGolf
    546 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Give them your money
  • VincentNZ

If it brings any solace to those who wont be starting the game at the 9th, think of it like that the people who do will be beta testing the game so it might have less problems when the rest get it :S

It is a cash grab and calculated precisely. With the poor pre-orders they need to give the reluctant crowd a cheaper reason to play this game. Paying 15€ for one month is not really a great deal, but 15€ for one month and also 11 day earlier access, that is huge. It also entices pre-order buyers to spend extra cash. It is shameless, but very effective, also goes to show how bad the pre-orders and expectations for BFV really are.
  • Hawxxeye
    2046 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

It is a cash grab and calculated precisely. With the poor pre-orders they need to give the reluctant crowd a cheaper reason to play this game. Paying 15€ for one month is not really a great deal, but 15€ for one month and also 11 day earlier access, that is huge. It also entices pre-order buyers to spend extra cash. It is shameless, but very effective, also goes to show how bad the pre-orders and expectations for BFV really are.
    At least a cash grab is a reasonable thing to do when an enterprise is out to make money unlike certain incidents where current or potential customers are told they have the option to not buy a product along with some derogatory words ;)
  • Mystriall
    419 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I don't get why people are so bothered with EA/DICE letting some people get access a little earlier in exchange for some extra cash. For the people who always want to be the first to play etc. they gladly pay extra for it, it's fine. Let them, I*m happy for them if that early access makes their day :)
    -
    People are too concerned with the trivial. Really it doesn't matter if you get access on the 9th or on the 20th. And if it does matter so much to you, then you should be going for the primer or deluxe pre-order i guess. The premier people are getting access the earliest because they are ultimately the ones who are going to be paying the most for the game(s).
  • Nyaasensei
    59 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah well I ended up buying Premier instead, not because I don't have patient but that I am competitive and would like to rank up as fast as possible. But I still think everyone should get access the same time just for this reason.
    $15 a month is not so much anyway, its what you pay for a wow subscription ;-)
  • moosehunter1969
    848 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    GrimesSU wrote: »
    Lol, DICE and EA don't care.
    All it is, is 'GIVE ME MONEY!'

Yeah it should be dirt cheap and all the people that worked on making it should be chained to their desks and fed bread and water and paid £1 a week so none of us have to pay much for it.
  • Radious1987
    335 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    So much rage against actually very good deal Premier represents (plus nobody is forced to buy it). Its a new thing, ocourse they try to lure as many people as possible with exclusive deals and early access. I for example canceled my Deluxe Edition and bought instead Premier for 1 year, seems for me its much better deal and i thank EA for that.

BF5 will have all future content free, we hated season pass its gone aswell now (while it remains in CoD). Yet some people will never be satisfied till games will be free and they get instant access to them for 0 dollars. Well that is not gonna happen in real life.......suprise!