Low fps with 1080ti ?

dakbay
2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Hello there, I've downloaded BF4 remembering how awesome of a game it was and wanted to go for some good ol' rush. However I have issues with fps.
I was expecting to run this game with a smooth 120fps with my current setup. Even though I reach 120fps time to time, it's not consistent. It drops down to 80s and 90s frequently.
Weird thing is that it doesn't matter how much I lower the graphic settings or the resolution. I get somewhat better frames but still with frequent drops. I just can't play it smoothly, even with the worst settings.
I suspect GPU driver or CPU bottlenecking. It would be great if you guys could help me figure out the problem. :)

I always play at 64 player servers.
GPU usage is between 70-95%, max temp 75° C
CPU usage is between 70-80%

Setup

CPU - I7-4790 (non k version)
GPU - MSI 1080Ti Gaming x
RAM - Hyperx 2x8 GB DDR3 at 2100Mhz
MOBO - Asus Z87-WS
Monitor - Dell S2417DG 144hz at 1440p with Gsync
GPU Driver - 398.36
Win-10, build 17134.345

Settings
Ultra at 120 Fps lock
1440p
Res scale at 100%
Msaax2
Vsync - on

Comments

• RustedRoot
    2709 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited October 2018
    Make sure you turn off ALL overlays. Do not launch BF4 from the UI. Use your browser and go to Battlelog to launch and join servers. Do not launch the game from Origin. Also, I would recommend turning off every single option under Origin's Application Settings.

Lastly, your CPU might be a slight bottleneck for your 1080ti. And since you can't overclock it, your stuck with whatever it can handle at it's current speed of 3.6ghz.
  • rishpan
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Disable the In Game Origin Overlay. That'll do it
  • opsis_1
    166 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    CPU..need 4790k 4.5 ghz.
  • dakbay
    Thank you for your help. I'll try it without the origin inlay. I also want to play BF1, so I suppose I'll upgrade my CPU aswell.
  • smokerob
    54 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    CPU is not the problem....i would look at the over lay like others have said and turn off everything for in game notifications....i don't have a 1080 i have a 1070 and run this game fine, clipping along at almost 200 frames with V sync OFF.....the other thing is why do you have V sync on??? you should not need it if the monitor has Gsync…..one other thing....i would get rid of the high settings and run it at the lowest settings with resolution scaling at 200%...its still going to look good and it should run better....i have a 4670k with a mild overclock to 4ghz, 16gb of 2133, a GTX 1070, all on a Z97 motherboard playing on a 50 inch Samsung 4k TV with resolution set at 1080p....even running 1440p on your with a 1080ti you should be close to 200 frames in this game as old as it is....
  • dakbay
    rishpan wrote: »
    Disable the In Game Origin Overlay. That'll do it
    I disabled it but it didn't make much difference unfortunately, 2-3 fps atmost.
    smokerob wrote: »
    CPU is not the problem....i would look at the over lay like others have said and turn off everything for in game notifications....i don't have a 1080 i have a 1070 and run this game fine, clipping along at almost 200 frames with V sync OFF.....the other thing is why do you have V sync on??? you should not need it if the monitor has Gsync…..one other thing....i would get rid of the high settings and run it at the lowest settings with resolution scaling at 200%...its still going to look good and it should run better....i have a 4670k with a mild overclock to 4ghz, 16gb of 2133, a GTX 1070, all on a Z97 motherboard playing on a 50 inch Samsung 4k TV with resolution set at 1080p....even running 1440p on your with a 1080ti you should be close to 200 frames in this game as old as it is....
    I use the Vsync just to cap my frame rate, it doesn't much of a difference and it doesn't cause any input lag really.

I tried lowering my resolution to frigging 1024*768 (or whatever the lowest is) and ALL graphic settings to low. It did increase my frame rate a little in certain situations (when looking at the sky or the ground), however %60 the time my fps is still around 100-110 with drops to 90s and mid 80s, and %20 of the time it stays at 120 where I capped it. When doing this, my GPU usage plummeted to 30-40% and CPU usage remained at 70-85%.

Lastly, I experimented with different graphic drivers. I installed them with clean installation (omitting 3D drivers) and used DDU to remove old ones prior to installing them, which again didn't work. So far I tried,
    399.24 - currently using this one

I'm starting to run out of ideas :/
  • DocCuda418
    147 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    Mesh to Ultra, that's for drawing objects at distance. Set everything else to its lowest setting (just to start). 100% res, 144hz capped. Everything else off, especially post processing stuff. My 1080 will run this at 144 frames at all times on a 1440P monitor and run between 40-70% GPU. Low input lag, very clean, very fast.

Now from there you can bump things up and see what they do. I was surprised to see many things that seemed graphic related actually hit the CPU. I think I bumped a few settings up to medium/high like textures and effects but left all the post processing crap off. On a 1440P monitor I don't think its needed.

I went for highest frame rate first, hoping for 144 at all times with room to spare(low fan speeds). That was my priority, then I adjusted settings to see how much I could make it look better without sacrificing speed or running my rig harder than I would like.

I have your monitor and a regular 1080, I7-8700 but running at its stock 3.7. Never have trouble maintaining 144 at all times so you may have something else going on.

I also have V-Sync off, G-Sync takes care of all that.