Hamada Map is big and has a Runway

2»

Comments

• VincentNZ
    3885 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    BF4’s Operation Locker had a helicopter pad.
    Hopefully this runway is more than just scenery.

There is a video floating around where a plane sets off from the runway, with landing gear and all that, so I'd say it is functional. My initial thought was that it was in the centre of the map and spawned an airplane as a flag asset.
  • Turban_Legend80
    4742 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    VincentNZ wrote: »

There is a video floating around where a plane sets off from the runway, with landing gear and all that, so I'd say it is functional. My initial thought was that it was in the centre of the map and spawned an airplane as a flag asset.

Ah cool, don’t think i’ve seen that vid.
  • trip1ex
    5106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It has a runway and you take off from it, but you don't get in planes from the runway. Remains to be seen if you can camp the runway as an enemy. etc.

And pretty sure the 1500m number is highly exaggerated as well.

• trip1ex
    5106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Rotterdam feels more empty for a small map because it has so much outdoor clutter and so many hallways, rooms, stairs, nooks etc.

You can easily take an Amiens and made it feel more empty by opening up 10 more buildings and opening the 3rd level in existing enterable buildings.

Rotterdam also feels more empty because of lack of spotting and everyone staying tight in cover because of the difficult of seeing enemies and the ease of dying.

• JamieCurnock
    717 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I wonder if it’s cosmetic or really for landing?

That new map looks good.

Remember people got bored walking over the big maps?

Then we got the ability to sprint...constantly.

That was a massive change that removed a mechanic that required the player to think about their environment tactically.

Yes I’m still grumbling about that one...

Probably the only one..

I totally agree, the perma run is annoying. Sprint speed is fine, seems realistic to me however the never getting tired/run forever mechanic is just a bit dumb.
  • madman001able
    611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

It is a working airstrip.
  • MacaqueX
    674 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I felt Rotterdam was big. Surprised to hear that it's a small map in BFV. I had to check how many people were on the server often because the map felt empty. It seemed the half from the train bridge to river side was the busy side of the map, the river down the middle was virtually empty because it was easy to get taken out. Either way it's one of the most fun maps I ever played.

You forgot about all the 4 story stairs all over the map too

Yeah, that is why it was empty, 64 players in few city blocks and every other house had few stories. 32 players are in constant circle flagrun between 5 flags, others are lost in buildings, trains etc
    Much larger maps with more vehicles and open spaces, where everyone can see everyone for hundreds of meters and shoot at each other will feel less empty.

• MacaqueX
    674 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

It is a working airstrip.

Great news, just didnt feel good to appear magically in the sky after spawn in plane.
  • Sixclicks
    5075 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    Airstrip? Sounds like the perfect place to farm enemy pilots before they can take off like in the old games. Not that I really fly anymore anyway. Maybe I'll be able to get a sight of their cockpits with my rifle so that I can snipe them before they can move like the old days.

I wonder if DICE will take any measures to prevent it.
  • ninjapenquinuk
    2121 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    When the mentioned the Hamada map size and the airstrip weren't they doing so in regards to the Grand ops game mode which wont necessarily be the case in Conquest
  • larry_54235
    270 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm honestly worried that Hamada will be TOO big. There's an inherent balance that has to be maintained in these map designs. Make a map too small, and you end up with both teams fighting over one objective. However, the same can happen with a map that's too big, because people don't like running tremendous distances to back cap. They want action, not a running/driving simulator. So what do the two teams do? They cap all the gimmes on either side of the map and fight over the closest one or two objectives in the middle of the map for the rest of the game.
    BF started with huge maps with vehicles but this changed with BF3. It was never a problem until BF got a newer playerbase of people who came from other games with less players and small maps.
    Most don’t know how to play “real” BF maps where you need transports. Tanks and a lot of light vehicles.
    Hamada is not even a huge map. Compared to what used to be huge maps this map is a medium size map.

I agree the larger maps need more vehicles. This is what battlefield is all about. I hope we never get another Metro map. Metro was the worst map ever introduced into the battlefield franchise. If people want to play 3 flag maps go play domination.
  • Stefanoviic
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2018
    trip1ex wrote: »
    Rotterdam feels more empty for a small map because it has so much outdoor clutter and so many hallways, rooms, stairs, nooks etc.

You can easily take an Amiens and made it feel more empty by opening up 10 more buildings and opening the 3rd level in existing enterable buildings.

Rotterdam also feels more empty because of lack of spotting and everyone staying tight in cover because of the difficult of seeing enemies and the ease of dying.

It also felt empty in the beta because the bleed out rate was too long, meaning less players on the field. This was what DICE said.
  • VincentNZ
    3885 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'm honestly worried that Hamada will be TOO big. There's an inherent balance that has to be maintained in these map designs. Make a map too small, and you end up with both teams fighting over one objective. However, the same can happen with a map that's too big, because people don't like running tremendous distances to back cap. They want action, not a running/driving simulator. So what do the two teams do? They cap all the gimmes on either side of the map and fight over the closest one or two objectives in the middle of the map for the rest of the game.
    BF started with huge maps with vehicles but this changed with BF3. It was never a problem until BF got a newer playerbase of people who came from other games with less players and small maps.
    Most don’t know how to play “real” BF maps where you need transports. Tanks and a lot of light vehicles.
    Hamada is not even a huge map. Compared to what used to be huge maps this map is a medium size map.

I agree the larger maps need more vehicles. This is what battlefield is all about. I hope we never get another Metro map. Metro was the worst map ever introduced into the battlefield franchise. If people want to play 3 flag maps go play domination.

That is not true. First of all BF3 and 4 offered bigger maps than BF2; and the most played maps always were the ones with a heavy focus on infantry as well. Battlefield is about combined arms, the way Air interacts with Armour interacts with Infantry and vice versa. What is true is that they strayed away from this by segregating the infantry from the vehicle players, especially in BF4. You had infantry only maps and basically vehicle only maps. Maps like, Markaz, Zavod, Caspian, Firestorm and similar where all three pillars of the game interact were rarer and rarer.
  • ragnarok013
    3666 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    I wonder if it’s cosmetic or really for landing?

That new map looks good.

Remember people got bored walking over the big maps?

Then we got the ability to sprint...constantly.

That was a massive change that removed a mechanic that required the player to think about their environment tactically.

Yes I’m still grumbling about that one...

Probably the only one..

It's be nice if planes had to actually land and sit for a second or two to rearm and refuel instead of just fly over the air strip.
  • KYUSS_QOTSA
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2018
    WOW. so we have to celebrate now that we have a Runway now? i mean seriously wow. that was in BF 1942 and Codename eagle.. Hurray i guess..... whats next? we will celebrate that there will be a conquest mode? its really sad how BF lost its way in the past few years. its not evolving at all, just staying in a puddle like cod

Edited to remove swearing. Let's please watch the language. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • FearNoTears
    151 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Sixclicks wrote: »
    Airstrip? Sounds like the perfect place to farm enemy pilots before they can take off like in the old games. Not that I really fly anymore anyway. Maybe I'll be able to get a sight of their cockpits with my rifle so that I can snipe them before they can move like the old days.

If you could shot the pilots and enemy in the base I would be interested. The base should be able to be attack with no mercy and No Rules against it. Plus, mutiny over vehicles would be a nice chaos touch. Baa, but they always have rules and criers get the game changed or nurf mid way into the game. For that reason, I'm out. lol
  • madman001able
    611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Sixclicks wrote: »

It was sitting right next to a capture point if that gives you a clue 😉
  • ProAssassin2003
    3791 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    crabman169 wrote: »
    for one map

Which is weird right? People have stated that Rotterdam even though being a "tiny" map felt empty even with 64 players yet scream for massive maps; contradiction much?

Arras seems big enough and Twisted Steel is gonna be bigger than that too.

Why can't we have mix of both large/medium/small maps? Battlefield has always done that

The empty feeling people was feeling strange enough I think was tied to the Audio bug. Couldn't hear Gun fire so it felt empty. Imo