Anyone agree plane controls needs to be updated?

TheGremmel
16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
I have thousands upon thousands of hours spent playing the Battlefield and Planetside franchise. Probably hundreds of thousands of kills. However I bet less than 1000 of those are from using air vehicles.

According to Steam I have 344 hours played in War Thunder, most of that being "realistic" mode with the most iconic WW2 planes. BF109, Spitfire, Mustang etc. And most of that time, I had fun. Even spent money on a F2P game. As an old fan I can honestly say that if we got upgraded plane controls to more mimic War Thunder, not only would it be a welcome change, I might even want to try to use them.

And it's not completely out of the question either it seems. As someone who loved tanks in Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2, I'm also really excited about the new World of Tanks style control for tanks.

Comments

• YourLocalPlumber
    2623 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    TheGremmel wrote: »
    I have thousands upon thousands of hours spent playing the Battlefield and Planetside franchise. Probably hundreds of thousands of kills. However I bet less than 1000 of those are from using air vehicles.

According to Steam I have 344 hours played in War Thunder, most of that being "realistic" mode with the most iconic WW2 planes. BF109, Spitfire, Mustang etc. And most of that time, I had fun. Even spent money on a F2P game. As an old fan I can honestly say that if we got upgraded plane controls to more mimic War Thunder, not only would it be a welcome change, I might even want to try to use them.

And it's not completely out of the question either it seems. As someone who loved tanks in Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2, I'm also really excited about the new World of Tanks style control for tanks.

First of all I think plane physics in BF5 should be completely re-done because in alpha and beta they were unacceptable. It felt like I was playing a wet noodle rather than WW2 interceptor with 1000HP engine. I didn't feel any thrust, maneuverability was extremely limited as was the skybox, I was hitting it way too many times. And I'm a novice to BF planes. I have my fair share of experience in BF3/4/1.

As for tank controls, I don't know why you're excited. BF is fast paced shooter, not a slow tactical one like WoT is. In Beta is was pretty stupid when Assault is running around you throwing TNT and you cann't do anything about it because your turret doesn't move fast enough.
  • TheGremmel
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    As for tank controls, I don't know why you're excited. BF is fast paced shooter, not a slow tactical one like WoT is. In Beta is was pretty stupid when Assault is running around you throwing TNT and you can't do anything about it because your turret doesn't move fast enough.

Because they've always tried to have a slowly turning turret on the tanks by having the mouse sensitivity greatly reduced compared to infantry. In the Forgotten Hope mod in Battlefield 1942 it was even more extreme just to slow down the turning. If you get into a situation where an assault can throw dynamite on you, having 400% mouse sensitivity toggle shouldn't help you. That's literally the definition of bad design, if a toggle on your mouse can completely override one of your supposed game-play mechanics. Frankly I think even the "through the sights" view should be more of a commander view instead of a gunner view so that the turret can turn at it's "correct" speed trailing your camera. Having turning speed was supposed to be a thing, now finally we get it. I again say this as someone who plays tanks, probably half my kills are from tanks and the other half from infantry game-play.

Also World of Tanks is not slow or tactical. It's a 15v15 game where a round lasts on average 7 minutes. I'ts about as arcade as tanks can get. Same as War Thunder, even the "realistic" game mode, although a round might be on average 15 minutes, is really an arcade game. Easy to control, not particular difficult to master. It's what we all want from Battlefield right?
  • Communist1939
    4 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I agree with you that the plane controll should indeed be improved in the comming weeks. Like it is right now it's unplayable and really boring, it is really sad if they don't fix it before launch. To be honest, 33% why I bought this game, is bcs of the histroic vehicles and the game experience they will offer.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2623 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Also World of Tanks is not slow or tactical. It's a 15v15 game where a round lasts on average 7 minutes. I'ts about as arcade as tanks can get. Same as War Thunder, even the "realistic" game mode, although a round might be on average 15 minutes, is really an arcade game. Easy to control, not particular difficult to master. It's what we all want from Battlefield right?

Its funny how people put their vision on the game to make it an argument. Just last week I had a conversation with my friend who is presumably "very good WoT" players, and once I mentioned that tank gameplay in BF1 is very tactical and slow paced due to ammo limitation, he bombarded me heavier than Ilya saying how tanks in BF1 are casual trash compared to super tactical and hard gameplay of WoT. And now yiu're telling me completely opposite.
  • Noodlesocks
    2479 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    The only thing I really want to see change is how floaty aircraft are when unpowered. They just sort of float stationary in the sky instead of plummeting to the ground.

BFV planes specifically could really do with a massive improvement from the beta because they were hot garbage.
  • oRapozao
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Yes!
    Aircraft gameplay needs to be polished before launch!
  • BetaFief
    655 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    plane controls and interface needs to be altered to better suit flight...
    -why does "freelook" lock my keyboard or flightstick controls? that means I can't track a target while changing direction.
    -why aren't there enough indicators/interfaces that actually work? like I'm talking about "bar that shows what your throttle is set to", "ball that shows your aircraft's attitude", "airspeed and altitude indicators"
    Because they've always tried to have a slowly turning turret on the tanks by having the mouse sensitivity greatly reduced compared to infantry. In the Forgotten Hope mod in Battlefield 1942 it was even more extreme just to slow down the turning. If you get into a situation where an assault can throw dynamite on you, having 400% mouse sensitivity toggle shouldn't help you. That's literally the definition of bad design, if a toggle on your mouse can completely override one of your supposed game-play mechanics. Frankly I think even the "through the sights" view should be more of a commander view instead of a gunner view so that the turret can turn at it's "correct" speed trailing your camera. Having turning speed was supposed to be a thing, now finally we get it. I again say this as someone who plays tanks, probably half my kills are from tanks and the other half from infantry game-play.

There's always the Red Orchestra 1 and Planetside 1 method of tanks (Separate the driver from the main gunner); requires a decent vehicle Voip or communication system to work nowadays and people will groan about it though.. might be a nice way to make tanks more "scary" without having them be too OP.