Almost all servers are flooded with 200-400 ping players

RRedux
670 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
What's the deal. Does american players get channeled to EU servers? or what?

Why would anyone want to play on a server where they have 300 ping? All it does is increase the interpolation of the server, making it worse for everyone with normal ping on the server too.

Comments

• -Antares65z
    1610 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    RRedux wrote: »

Why would anyone want to play on a server where they have 300 ping? All it does is increase the interpolation of the server, making it worse for everyone with normal ping on the server too.

Let me guess. You're using Quick Match?
  • ProAssassin2003
    3206 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don't even know how they function at 200 to 400 ping.
  • Ronin9572
    801 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I don't even know how they function at 200 to 400 ping.

I hear ya! When I had just WiFi before and my family was home I would occasionally ping out at 500+ for a few seconds. I don't know how these ppl play at a constant ping above 200. Than what gets my goat you see these same ppl on top of the leader boards!
  • RRedux
    670 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Let me guess. You're using Quick Match?

Nope. Only join servers manually from the browser. The Quick match is a terrible option.

Official servers usually have the largest amount of high ping players at any given time. I prefer going for rented servers, but it seems everyone else is too, most of them are either completely empty, or full with 5 people in queue.
  • PhantomDJ
    156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

I am very curious why you think that high ping players on a server make things worse for the other low ping players. ("increase the interpolation of the server" ? What is this?)

I am have been playing BF series since BF1942 and I have never encountered this phenomenon that you describe.

I would love to play against an enemy team full of high ping players. I would get the drop on them every time.

DJ
  • Ronin9572
    801 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    PhantomDJ wrote: »
    I am very curious why you think that high ping players on a server make things worse for the other low ping players. ("increase the interpolation of the server" ? What is this?)

I am have been playing BF series since BF1942 and I have never encountered this phenomenon that you describe.

I would love to play against an enemy team full of high ping players. I would get the drop on them every time.

DJ

The early battlefield games didn't have this issue. It was some new netcode ping compensation thing Dice introduced in bf3. They've kept using it since, just tweaking it over and over. Basically, for high ping players, the engine tries to predict the movements of other players to compensate for the fact that high ping players are lagging behind. When it predicts too much, lots of weird stuff can happen. For example, you are running towards a corner, and meet an enemy player around the corner. He seemingly 1 shots you with a weapon that shouldn't be able to oneshot. What happened? Basically, because your movement around the corner was predicted, the enemy player with high ping saw you before you saw him, and started shooting, when the client on your side catches up, it registered that you got hit by a salvo of 5 bullets, which is enough to kill you.

This is also what happens when you die from shots after ducking down behind cover, running around a corner to escape fire etc.

In bf3 it was so bad, playing with high ping was a massive advantage, as you almost always would get the drop on low-ping players. I tried it myself, by playing bf3 on NA servers. It was an amazing advantage. It got really bad, so rented server owners started auto-kicking people who had more than 100 ping, to stop people from joining servers out of region.

Bf1 has the most tweaked version, so it's better than it was in bf3/4, but it still acts up. There was a short period in spring 2017 where they capped the simulation at 100ms, the problem almost vanished then. But it only lasted less than 2 weeks because the high ping players complained. Since the engine stopped simulations if you had over 100ms ping, it meant that you had to lead the shots more and more to compensate for your own lag.

If you get over a certain amount of ping, you still have to lead your shots even in bf1. You get a network warning icon named "lead aim indicator" to remind you to lead your shots.

I remember how it was back in the spring of 2017, because that's when I started. It's like night and day difference and it's getting worse everyday. I've updated my internet, modem, and am even hardwired now and it's WAY worse now that it was back than. For me once I get to about 180-200 ping it's unplayable, don't know how these ppl play with it constantly high like that!
  • PhantomDJ
    156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

DJ

The early battlefield games didn't have this issue. It was some new netcode ping compensation thing Dice introduced in bf3. They've kept using it since, just tweaking it over and over. Basically, for high ping players, the engine tries to predict the movements of other players to compensate for the fact that high ping players are lagging behind. When it predicts too much, lots of weird stuff can happen. For example, you are running towards a corner, and meet an enemy player around the corner. He seemingly 1 shots you with a weapon that shouldn't be able to oneshot. What happened? Basically, because your movement around the corner was predicted, the enemy player with high ping saw you before you saw him, and started shooting, when the client on your side catches up, it registered that you got hit by a salvo of 5 bullets, which is enough to kill you.

This is also what happens when you die from shots after ducking down behind cover, running around a corner to escape fire etc.

In bf3 it was so bad, playing with high ping was a massive advantage, as you almost always would get the drop on low-ping players. I tried it myself, by playing bf3 on NA servers. It was an amazing advantage. It got really bad, so rented server owners started auto-kicking people who had more than 100 ping, to stop people from joining servers out of region.

Bf1 has the most tweaked version, so it's better than it was in bf3/4, but it still acts up. There was a short period in spring 2017 where they capped the simulation at 100ms, the problem almost vanished then. But it only lasted less than 2 weeks because the high ping players complained. Since the engine stopped simulations if you had over 100ms ping, it meant that you had to lead the shots more and more to compensate for your own lag.

If you get over a certain amount of ping, you still have to lead your shots even in bf1. You get a network warning icon named "lead aim indicator" to remind you to lead your shots.

I appreciate the explanation.

However, I still do not experience what you are claiming happens.

For fun, I joined a couple of servers in Middle East. One conquest, one TDM. I live in Los Angeles, and my ping was consistently around 300 ms. (My ping on US W servers is usually around 30ms.)

I definitely had no advantage over the other players in the server. I was constantly losing firefights, even when I shot first. Furthermore, I saw no evidence that my presence on the server had any negative effect on other players.

If you could provide video evidence of the phenomenon, I would be very eager to see it.

DJ
  • von_Campenstein
    6565 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

DJ

For fun, I joined a couple of servers in Middle East. One conquest, one TDM. I live in Los Angeles, and my ping was consistently around 300 ms. (My ping on US W servers is usually around 30ms.)

I definitely had no advantage over the other players in the server. I was constantly losing firefights, even when I shot first. Furthermore, I saw no evidence that my presence on the server had any negative effect on other players.

If you could provide video evidence of the phenomenon, I would be very eager to see it.

DJ

Sounds like BS to me, everyone keeps saying middle eastern servers are all empty. It's a thing, if it doesn't hamper your playstyle good for you, it doesn't make it a figment of imagination. Recordings will typically not show someones movement being impeded, guns switching slower and any number of wonkiness that happens with a lot of pingers on the server, it will just show regular gameplay with you moving later than you were trying to and drawing too late, you just got beat, you can say things were happening it's just too subtle most times for a recording to pick up on, which does not mean it makes little difference.
  • Imabaka70
    2432 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    If you are using a bullet hose style weapon the difference isnt that noticeable. Now try using a medic 6 round self loader or a scout rifle. I played onthe silly Sunday’s server for the event and with a 140 ping it made using anything bullet something that sprayed a lot of rounds really hard to make hits on moving targets.

Also when I play on my normal eastern servers with 40-60 ping late at night the servers flood with out of region players with anywhere between 120-900 ping. When there is that many high pings the server starts to as best as I can explain the visual on my screen in fast motion. It seems that everyone is moving twice as fast due to the lag Comp trying to keep up. I’ve really got to remember to capture this one of these times.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    5306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The amount of 200+ pingers on EU servers during the morning hours is ridiculous. I think it can be up to 70% of server population or so. I blame disfunctional Quickmatch system for such disaster but nothing will be done to fix it at all.
  • magosnow
    607 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Of course it's the quickmatch. I'm now fairly sure the the browser is only used by a small amount of enlighted players ,at this point.
    The proof was the recent apocalypse playlist. It was not what i wanted to play but the browser was flooded by it and i could only find 4 servers outside that rotation.that means the mega majority of people just pressed the quick play playlist window right when you enter the game.
    I stopped playing every day now,but when i jump on,i don't see such a big difference.I always played at regular eu time range tho ,so 6pm to 1am in the night(example eh,i don't play for 6 hours lol)
  • ProAssassin2003
    3206 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018
    The amount of 200+ pingers on EU servers during the morning hours is ridiculous. I think it can be up to 70% of server population or so. I blame disfunctional Quickmatch system for such disaster but nothing will be done to fix it at all.

It's the same on East US in the Mourning's. Probably 95% all over 150 ping. I don't play in the mourning no more. Best time for me is around 4pm to 10pm Eastern Time.
  • von_Campenstein
    6565 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited October 2018

Once they've realized they'd broken Quickmatch they should've owned up to it, given better instructions on how to find the server browser and turned Quickmatch off.
    Post edited by von_Campenstein on
  • digga11
    763 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2018

DJ

DJ

Go read the Hit detection thread. The netcode dev highlighted and explained just about every aspect of BF1 netcode.

High pings decrease server performance do to all the corrections being made to the simulation timeline. The higher the ping the higher the margin in error for calculating the correct position at frame. when the next input is received the server has to correct the past timeline position to more accurately calc the current.

Also higher pings require more resources (cpu/memory) for calculations. An input that is 150ms old (300ms ping) requires the simulation to be buffered into memory back 150ms. Compared to a low ping 30ms having a 15ms buffer....10x more memory is needed.

I wonder how this is going to get sorted in Bfv. Localised servers with ping caps would help.
    And that’s a great short explanation on the high ping issue.
  • RRedux
    digga11 wrote: »
    I wonder how this is going to get sorted in Bfv. Localised servers with ping caps would help.

Rev0verDrive summed it up perfectly, I'm gonna be quoting him the next time someone asks what the problem is with the netcode.

Sadly, I doubt it will be sorted in bf5, the devs say they are happy with the way the netcode works. I guess they feel that the deviations are within acceptable ranges.
  • von_Campenstein

DJ

DJ

Go read the Hit detection thread. The netcode dev highlighted and explained just about every aspect of BF1 netcode.

High pings decrease server performance do to all the corrections being made to the simulation timeline. The higher the ping the higher the margin in error for calculating the correct position at frame. when the next input is received the server has to correct the past timeline position to more accurately calc the current.

Also higher pings require more resources (cpu/memory) for calculations. An input that is 150ms old (300ms ping) requires the simulation to be buffered into memory back 150ms. Compared to a low ping 30ms having a 15ms buffer....10x more memory is needed.

They seemingly don't think there is something to be sorted.
  • digga11
    763 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Rev0verDrive summed it up perfectly, I'm gonna be quoting him the next time someone asks what the problem is with the netcode.

Sadly, I doubt it will be sorted in bf5, the devs say they are happy with the way the netcode works. I guess they feel that the deviations are within acceptable ranges.

DJ

DJ

They seemingly don't think there is something to be sorted.

Maybe I’m clinging on to false hopes but didn’t we have localised servers during the beta?.
    If they carried this on with a balance of more central lenient servers plus localised with ping caps and fine tuned this as demand required Dice would end up with a happier player base overall.
  • RRedux
    I swear it keeps getting worse every day. Lately, when I try to place AT mines, it's like I press the button to place it, yellow marker on the ground etc, and then it just doesn't appear straight away. It takes like half a second for the AT mine to appear after I press "place". Then other times, it appears immediately, like it's supposed to.

Then at the absolute worst times, I press the button to place the mine, and nothing happens, I have to press it again and then it appears after almost a full second.

All these things also randomly happen with ammo crates, seems like placing objects in the world is very sensitive when the servers are being slow.