Real money only Cosmetics

ProAssassin2003
2880 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
This isn't great news. I read a Interview and I quote

"Is there anything you can buy with Battlefield Currency that you can’t unlock with Company Coin?

RM: Some cosmetic items will be Battlefield Currency only.

So certain cosmetics are only available with Real Money. Wtf?

Comments

• llPhantom_Limbll
    4825 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Of course there will be things behind paywall. How can EA be sure people spend money on microtransactions?
  • MONEYPYR0
    828 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well, it depends on if its something you even want. If I dont find it interesting, then I dont care that I cant buy it. And then if I do like it, depending on the cost, I'll pay for it, I dont care. Its not a big deal
  • DeadlyDanDaMan
    615 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Of course some cosmetic items will be behind a paywall. EVERYONE does this. Did you seriously think this wasn't going to happen? Why would ANYONE spend money on any of the cosmetics if they could ALL be acquired for free through in-game currency? That would completely defeat the purpose of the business model. It would make absolutely no sense whatsoever.
  • Gorwarn
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    That is fine with me. Rainbow Six Siege is using the same "system" (they have a season pass, but this is just "early access" for new operators (not maps!)). Maps for free, new guns / operators / some skins unlock via ingame currency (earned by playing) and "special" skins with a ingame currency you have to pay for. You have no advantage due to a better skin, it doesn't effect the gameplay.
    So if I really like a game and / or want to "support" the developer, I can pay for skins. If not, than not.

In my opinion there is no time in this game to look at the "awesome skin" from another player and the chance to see you in the "end screen" (best squad) is way lower then e.g. in Rainbow (Rainbow --> "just" winning, BFV --> best squad out of 16).
  • Popa2caps
    576 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

"Is there anything you can buy with Battlefield Currency that you can’t unlock with Company Coin?

No way they would release the online service for BFV without some income from it, If It's cosmetic items only, i'm all game. If someone wants to spend cash to look like barney the dinosaur, so be it.
  • Trokey66
    7602 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    And the problem is....?
  • DisguisedMike
    422 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    As long as there's more stuff to unlock by playing the game, I don't really care but I thought they said that everything would be available through playing the game. It's hard to keep track of what was said about BFV...

I just hope that they won't sell entire uniforms. I don't want to see a situation where some paid camos are better than the ones available for free. Unique weapon and vehicle skins would be fine and probably the most popular stuff because I think that most players won't buy cosmetic items that they can't see while playing.

Another good way to make money could be to release unique patches used by each country that participated in the war. Even if the players can't see this, I think something like that could be very popular for players that want to represent their countries.

They could sell these individually or in bundles that contain multiple patches and since this wouldn't have an impact on gameplay, I don't think most players would care if some of them are only available by buying them with real money. I know a couple of players, myself included, that would pay to see something like this in the game.

Imagine all that they would be able to offer if they did this.

Here's what they could do just with the Canadian Armed Forces. Expand this to other countries that participated in WWII and there would be a huge collection.
    DSCF3433.jpg

DSCF3441.jpg

DSCF3420.jpg

DSCF3425.jpg

DSCF3422.jpg

DSCF3427.jpg

DSCF3435.jpg

DSCF3439.jpg

DSCF3443.jpg
  • MONEYPYR0
    828 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I just hope that they won't sell entire uniforms. I don't want to see a situation where some paid camos are better than the ones available for free.

What camos really even? For the Germans, you got proto-Flecktarn (I forget what it's called, but it's basically the same pattern) that I think the Fallschirmjäger Paratrooper sets will have. Americans would have either Oak Tree, of frog camo (dont remember the full name), but they didn't use camo much, since they would ocasionally be confused for Germans. Brits didn't use much camo, aside from brush stroke, pre-DPM patterns. And the Russians had the Amoeba pattern. Not a ton of camo to use compared to BF4. So I wouldn't count on camo patterns to be purchaseable, it'll probably be helmets, since those are the most prevelant part of a kit
  • SirBobdk
    3547 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Trokey66 wrote: »
    I'll happily pay money for the prosthetic arm just to annoy people.

Especially as it will be on my female character of an ethinc origin not usually associated with her faction!

I wonder how much blue face paint and a mohican will cost......
    Damn, You make me totally worried about what can be expected of ridiculous things, lol :smile:
  • NLBartmaN
    2599 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    Damn, You make me totally worried about what can be expected of ridiculous things, lol :smile:

Probably also one of the reasons (next to worries about the live services), according to a poll, lots of people will wait with deciding to buy the game until some time after launch.

There is little known about what the limitations/possibilities and prices will be of the customizations.

I think DICE/EA understand that after the reactions on the reveal trailer what they decide to do with the customizations will be the deciding factor if this game will be a winner or will fail, so little news on that front.

I think 1 customizations, as the "controversial" one in the reveal trailer, in the first week after launch and it will be a big hit on sales.

But the payed by real money only customizations need to have something "extra" to be interesting enough to buy, so it will be a balancing game for DICE.
  • FF_smart27
    1956 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    And the problem is....?

...the problem is I'm broke!
  • ragnarok013
    2020 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    MONEYPYR0 wrote: »
    I just hope that they won't sell entire uniforms. I don't want to see a situation where some paid camos are better than the ones available for free.

What camos really even? For the Germans, you got proto-Flecktarn (I forget what it's called, but it's basically the same pattern) that I think the Fallschirmjäger Paratrooper sets will have. Americans would have either Oak Tree, of frog camo (dont remember the full name), but they didn't use camo much, since they would ocasionally be confused for Germans. Brits didn't use much camo, aside from brush stroke, pre-DPM patterns. And the Russians had the Amoeba pattern. Not a ton of camo to use compared to BF4. So I wouldn't count on camo patterns to be purchaseable, it'll probably be helmets, since those are the most prevelant part of a kit

The Germans had quite a lot of camos for serveral seasons https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_World_War_II_camouflage_patterns The other factions didn't have quite as many but could still be put to use.
  • BURGERKRIEG
    666 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Isn’t the DLC financed by transactions from cosmetics?

If you could unlock them all through play then it wouldn’t be a viable business model.

• Trokey66
    7602 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    FF_smart27 wrote: »
    And the problem is....?

...the problem is I'm broke!

I''ll by you a nice (historically accurate) hat!
  • Trokey66
    I'll happily pay money for the prosthetic arm just to annoy people.

Especially as it will be on my female character of an ethinc origin not usually associated with her faction!

I wonder how much blue face paint and a mohican will cost......

You can blame people like the one below your post for that! :D
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    648 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Of... course? You aren’t familiar with what “live service” means? It means selling cosmetics and lootboxes.

• iano1978
    613 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I'm not sure if you were quoting my tweet to @danmotoxx but I havent received an answer yet.

• Noromiz
    270 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I kinda hope this will let them add just a basic uniform (with helmet) from the less well known actors in WWII, like a Danish Uniform or Belgian one. These uniforms would be rather nice to sell in "packages" if the price were reasonable, though their marked would be rather small.

And yes, I know the Danish M/23 Helmet is... unique...

Danish Uniforms:
    677bc7.jpg

21nk304.jpg

These pictures are from the movie "9. april" and shows the uniforms rather accurately (afaik).
    9_april_still_2_foto_af_kenneth_nguyen.jpg

72enznXZ.png